• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TAC OF THE TOWN

Demonland

TAC OF THE TOWN by Whispering Jack

Since I regard myself as a bit of a football traditionalist, I was disappointed to find that there was no AFL game on the Saturday afternoon of Preliminary Final week.

This left me with no choice but to set off for the home ground of football's underbelly to watch the penultimate finals games of the TAC Cup Under 18 series. Unfortunately the experience left me more disappointed than anything else.

I've been going to these games for many years dating back to the competition's inception and, on what I saw yesterday, the decline in standards that I've noticed in recent years is still proceeding and, if anything, more rapidly than ever before.

It was probably a combination of a number of things that led to my negativity. The weather was lousy – it was cold, a stiff breeze favoured the eastern end of the ground for most of the day and patches of rain dominated the odd glimpses of sunshine that made this a typical Melbourne day. The poor crowds and the decaying nature of the ground with its unkempt, dank and smelly stands were a bit of a turn off not to mention the ever-present insignia of the Melbourne Storm and the ominous reminders that the ground has a new name - Visy Park.

To me, it's a bit of a turn off to name a venue after an organisation that managed to recently cop a national record penalty for corporate cheating but then again, when your very survival and most of your operations are being propped up by that self same mob, I guess it's a case of who cares and how high can we jump for them (as long as their share value stays at a reasonably comfortable level)?

Oh, and since I came to have a look a some possible AFL draft prospects, I should add that the standard of football was pretty ordinary as well.

First off, the Dandenong Stingrays who are coached by former Demon Graeme Yeats took on the Gippsland Power in a game that never hit the heights and was mainly a battle of the defences. The Dandy boys had the benefit of the breeze in the first quarter but almost blew it (sorry) by outscoring their opponents by a mere seven points and the Gippy boys fared slightly better to turn the tables at half time. Dandenong was in trouble until late in the third term when it kicked clear by a couple of goals but managed to hold firm under fire in the last thanks to appalling kicking for goal which robbed the country lads of an opportunity to play in a grand final.

Only one player from each team has been invited to next month's National Draft Camp. For the losers, left footer Nicholas Heyne booted four goals (it could easily have been six) and he was impressive when going for marks and generally attacking the football. However, his chasing and accountability for his opponents was problematic.

Dandenong's Ash Smith ran hard coming off a half back flank constantly sweeping the ball out of defence and he worked well with key defender Steven Gaertner who was probably best on ground. Gaertner who has been invited to the state screening camp (a second tier to the national draft camp) was considered a strong draft contender last year but missed out. He's strong, fast and athletic and should get the nod this year*.

Gaertner spent a fair amount of the game on tall Gippsland youngster John Butcher who is being hailed as next year's number one draft pick but he was off his game a little yesterday. He took one or two strong marks but lived up to is name with his kicking. While promising, he still has a long way to go and will benefit from the extra year in Under 18 ranks. On the other hand, Dandenong youngster Tom Scully is the one who looks like challenging Butcher for the # 1 favourite spot next year. He showed out with some clever play on a half forward flank and will probably be a premier midfielder by the time he gets the call at the highest level.

The second game saw title favourites Murray Bushrangers beat off the Oakleigh Chargers after the latter squandered several opportunities in a horror first term in which they kicked 2 goals 9 behinds to 3 goals 1 with the benefit of the strong breeze. Murray responded with a six goal second quarter and although the Chargers fought hard in the second half, the Bushies were always going to win from that point.

The teams had a number of draft camp invitees in their ranks. Murray Bushrangers had Kade Klemke, Dylan McNeil, Riley Milne, Tom Rockliff, Steele Sidebottom, Caleb Tiller, Sam Wright and Jack Ziebell while Oakleigh Chargers had Dan Hannebery, Luke Shuey and James Strauss. The Bushies also had a number of others invited to the state screening camp; the Chargers also had a few (including Xavier Gotch whose father Brad was coaching Williamstown to a VFL preliminary final defeat a few kilometres away at Port Melbourne). Perhaps it was a case of collective stage fright but there were few outstanding prospects whose names I could pencil in as high draft picks.

Rockliff was probably the outstanding player of the match with his four goals from a dynamic performance up forward. I had seem him previously in Under 18 championships games and I wasn't totally impressed; he had looked a bit slow, appeared a trifle lazy and possibly a one trick pony as a small forward. This was a much better effort and while it didn't answer all of the questions I had about his capacity to become a top flight footballer, I started warming to him as a prospect for the future.

Sidebottom looks a classy midfielder who can take a nice mark and has good delivery with left and right foot and by hand. He worked his way into the game after quarter time and was one of his team's best. Ziebell is a really balanced footballer who worked constructively and had a hand in quite a few goals. He was reported and sent from the ground in the last quarter but there didn't appear to be much in the incident. He has been touted as a top ten draft pick so his absence in Friday's grand final would be a major blow to his team.

Shuey was finding the ball early for the Chargers and finished with a couple of goals, while Strauss showed some good pace and excellent delivery at times. Both are outside chances for selection in the top twenty of the national draft.

The major disappointment on the day was the fact that not a single ruckman stood out on the day. The conditions might have had something to do with this but I suspect that clubs looking for ruckmen in the forthcoming draft are going to have to look elsewhere.

The draft experts in the media and elsewhere on the internet have deemed that the top three picks are already set in stone – Jack Watts, Daniel Rich and Nick Naitanui and in probably that order with 200cm tall Tyrone Vickery as an outsider to push his way into that group. Watts and Vickery play for the Sandringham Dragons which didn't even make the TAC Cup finals while Rich (Subiaco) and Naitanui (Swan Districts) will be slugging it out against men today in the WAFL Grand Final. Rich is playing in his second grand final at this level at the age of only 18 and, after yesterday, I remain unmoved in my conviction that he will be far and away the best player available when the national draft meeting opens in two month's time.

Dandenong Stingrays 2.3 3.4 8.6 10.8 (68 )

Gippsland Power 1.2 4.5 6.6 8.13 (61)

GOALS:

Dandenong Stingrays: Pitt 3 Doria 3 Bastinac Purves Clark Hallahan

Gippsland Power: Heyne 4 Blair Weston Donchi Lehman

BEST:

Dandenong Stingrays: Gaertner Wragg Gillies Heddles Doria Pitt

Gippsland Power: Sing Blair McLinden Francis Heyne Butcher

REPORTED PLAYERS:

Dandenong Stingrays: Nil

Gippsland Power: Nil

2008 TAC Cup

Murray Bushrangers 3.1 9.5 9.8 14.12 (96)

Oakleigh Chargers 2.9 4.10 7.14 7.16 (58 )

GOALS:

Murray Bushrangers: Rockliff 4 Wright 2 Mangan 2 Sidebottom Browne Hamilton Martiniello Craven Ziebell

Oakleigh Chargers: Burstin 2 Shuey 2 Gotch Van Unen Nicolopoulos

BEST:

Murray Bushrangers: Rockliff Mangan Sidebottom Birthisel Bryce Hamilton

Oakleigh Chargers: Strauss Shuey Gotch Purcell Thompson Croft

REPORTED PLAYERS:

Murray Bushrangers: Jack Ziebell

Oakleigh Chargers: Nil

TAC CUP GRAND FINAL - Friday September 26

Murray Bushrangers v Dandenong Stingrays at Telstra Dome 4pm [The TAC Cup Final will be shown live on Fox Sports 1]

* and just for the record I spent the early game in the company of members of Steve Gaertner's family. The did not influence my views on Steve's game and the best player list was issued by his club not me!

...Rich (Subiaco) and Naitanui (Swan Districts) will be slugging it out against men today in the WAFL Grand Final ...

Late in the first quarter of the 2008 WAFL grand final, Swan Districts lead by 3 goals - Naitanui doing well, getting hitouts laying tackles (including a ripper on Philthy Phil Read) and has kicked a goal.

Update: Quarter time Swans 6.3.39 to Subiaco 3.4.22.

Late in the first quarter of the 2008 WAFL grand final, Swan Districts lead by 3 goals - Naitanui doing well, getting hitouts laying tackles (including a ripper on Philthy Phil Read) and has kicked a goal.

Update: Quarter time Swans 6.3.39 to Subiaco 3.4.22.

A beautiful pass from Daniel Rich to Subi full forward Brad Smith has just put Subiaco in front by 2 points. Half time its Subiaco 9.9.63 to 9.5.59. Swans had a big lead at around the 20 minute mark but the Lions kicked the last 4 goals of the quarter to put themselves in front.

* and just for the record I spent the early game in the company of members of Steve Gaertner's family. They did not influence my views on Steve's game and the best player list was issued by his club not me!

Steven Gaertner's an interesting one. He was highly rated in most phantom drafts last year, but was overlooked, and was was too young to be nominated as a rookie.

I might be totally wrong on this, but Melbourne took some time before passing with their final draft selection, hence allowing 1 pick in the PSD. The reason for the delay was because they were considering taking Gaertner.

Demonland, can you shed any light as to whether this was true.

In the end it was an easy win for Subiaco which dominated the second half to win 22.16 (148) to 14.7 (91).

It can't be said that any of the young talent on show starred but, at least they got some experience on the big stage in front of a crowd of over 23,000 people.

Steven Gaertner's an interesting one. He was highly rated in most phantom drafts last year, but was overlooked, and was was too young to be nominated as a rookie.

I might be totally wrong on this, but Melbourne took some time before passing with their final draft selection, hence allowing 1 pick in the PSD. The reason for the delay was because they were considering taking Gaertner.

Demonland, can you shed any light as to whether this was true.

I don't believe that it was the case that they were considering Steven Gaertner. I believe that it was someone else but I don't know who.

As for Eastie's question about Neville Jetta in WA - he was BOG in the WAFL colts game, not the senior grand final. He could be a bit of a prospect for a late draft selection.

I don't believe that it was the case that they were considering Steven Gaertner. I believe that it was someone else but I don't know who.

As for Eastie's question about Neville Jetta in WA - he was BOG in the WAFL colts game, not the senior grand final. He could be a bit of a prospect for a late draft selection.

Rich 9 possessions in the granny ??????????? What makes everyone so sure he is readymade for AFL?

the next best young talent is steven may from NT but he wont be eligible until next year

Going on our performance this season, we may have a crack at May next year. I'm looking forward to gaving a look at him on Saturday morning when he runs out for NT. Coverage of the U16 Champ finals will be on AFL.com:

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tab...px?newsId=68066

I'll be paying close attention to Tom Scully in the TAC Cup final Friday arvo as well. I expect May and Scully to figure prominently in next years draft.

Sidebottom looks a classy midfielder who can take a nice mark and has good delivery with left and right foot and by hand. He worked his way into the game after quarter time and was one of his team's best.

Just heard he's kicked 3 goals in the first quarter of the TAC Cup grand final which is taking place this afternoon. That should just about put him out of our reach with picks # 17 and 19!

Rockliff is also starring and booting goals so it doesn't look good for the Dandy boys!

Just heard he's kicked 3 goals in the first quarter of the TAC Cup grand final which is taking place this afternoon. That should just about put him out of our reach with picks # 17 and 19!

Not a bad start to a grand final. Good way of making sure your name gets called out in the first round at draff time!

Guest red and blue thru n thru

While i was watching chanel 7 before the granny i saw vic metro vs W.A i think.... in the back ground does any one no how they went ?? Considering Jack watts and Natniu and rich would of been playing.

While i was watching chanel 7 before the granny i saw vic metro vs W.A i think.... in the back ground does any one no how they went ?? Considering Jack watts and Natniu and rich would of been playing.

They must have been showing highlights. That game was at least a month ago if not longer. Vickery the star in my opinion! Watts showed glimpses, Rich was very good, Nat did a couple of good things but was well beaten.

All the talk after the TAC Cup grand final is about Steele Sidebottom and rightly so after a performance like that. However, I want to say that Tom Rockliff is probably almost as much a winner from the game as was Sidebottom whose form showed an upward surge in the last four or five weeks of the season reaching a crescendo in the grand final.

On the other hand, there have been many questions about Rockliff. Was he too slow, lazy, a one trick pony as a small forward? Even his good form in the preliminary final still didn't answer some of the questions I had about his ability to be a top flight footballer. One game might not have answered those questions but he spent a lot of time down back and in the midfield and his stature grew accordingly.

As for Ziebell, the other "gun" player in the Bushies team, he really showed all of the attributes of being a fine AFL standard all rounder. He didn't dominate however, because he's apparently carrying an injury.

Much of the above is now moot, I suppose (unless we pick up another top ten pick). Ziebell and Sidebottom will probably go 5 to 10 and Rockliff in the mid 20's so it shouldn't affect us!