Why couldn't NickNat be a forward?

btdemon

If a bloke has the speed and spring of this bloke, and has a reasonable pair of hands, why could he not dominate at full forward? I know people are saying that he doesn't yet have the footy smarts, but I don't know if he has been tried there? Surely he would apply tremendous defensive pressure as well. The guy tackles like a monster. If his hands are not that good yet, just remember PJ a couple of years ago. Couldn't take an overhead pack mark to save his life. I think NickNat's potential to be anything is too precious to overlook, whether it be as a dominant ruck or forward, or even something like Adam Goodes, a tall quick powerful midfielder who can do anything. This would change the game forever. He is worth the risk. We know that Rich will be a good midfielder and that Watts will probably be a clever forward, but NickNat could be anything!!!!!

I think in all the hoopla over the amazing spring and athleticism of Natinui it is lost on most the apparent athleticism of Watts.

He isn't some man-child schlub dominating over boys, he is 17 playing in every position fwd of, and including, the centre line.

Natinui could be a forward, Watts IS a forward.

Why can't Brad Miller be a forward?

Why can't Nick Smith be a forward?

Why can't Aaron Rogers be a forward?

Why can't Luke Molan be a forward?

All of the above were apparently supposed to be forwards.

All were 193cm plus, with good hands, could mark, yadda yadda yadda and came to the club as forwards.

You are either born with it or not if you want to be a key forward in the AFL.

It's the hardest position in the game.

H migh have the ahelticism, but he doesn't have the skill set.

The above mentioned players couldn't make it as a forward, neither will Naita.

Stop dreaming.

The above mentioned players couldn't make it as a forward, neither will Naita.

got next weeks lotto numbers there...I mean..whilst your crystal ball gazing !!! :lol:

Im sure what you meant to say was.. In your opinion you dont hink he will.

AS to NOT making it.. I think his skills shown to date suggest he might have a far better chance than most mentioned in your list :)

I wouldnt be quite as quick as you to write him of so dismissively ;)

I don't know if he has been tried there?anything!!!!!

He's played a fair bit of footy up forward for Swan Districts (and spent a little bit of timeup forward for WA in NAB champs). He shows the odd flash, but hasn't shown the capacity to kick multiple goals yet. An excellent prospect, but I'm still hoping for Watts at this stage. Let's not forget this kid is an impressive athlete himself, but has shown good football skills in addition.

got next weeks lotto numbers there...I mean..whilst your crystal ball gazing !!! :lol:

Im sure what you meant to say was.. In your opinion you dont hink he will.

AS to NOT making it.. I think his skills shown to date suggest he might have a far better chance than most mentioned in your list :)

I wouldnt be quite as quick as you to write him of so dismissively ;)

He wasn't saying he couldn't make it in the game, but as a forward.

Bloody hard place to play - CHF. You need a footy brain; know when to lead, where to lead, etc.

Hard to learn.

He wasn't saying he couldn't make it in the game, but as a forward.

Unless one is blessed with 20/20 foresight..he cant possibly KNOW !!

its his opinion..entitled to it.. but to "state" is a bit overly encompassing !!

With a good preseason.. and mentoring he may well turn into a really decent KPP,up forward . . or he may not . . and so join the rest of the list !! :)

One thing to add..is that its much easier to play a game with out a winning ruck ( as you can rove to the opposition ) than it is without decent forwards !!

Unless one is blessed with 20/20 foresight..he cant possibly KNOW !!

its his opinion..entitled to it.. but to "state" is a bit overly encompassing !!

With a good preseason.. and mentoring he may well turn into a really decent KPP,up forward . . or he may not . . and so join the rest of the list !! :)

One thing to add..is that its much easier to play a game with out a winning ruck ( as you can rove to the opposition ) than it is without decent forwards !!

Nicknat had an ordinary one yesetrday in the WAFL prelim final but his team is in the grannie against Subiaco - Daniel Rich's team.

Does anyone know if they telecast the game here on Foxtel?

A story on Nat in the WA press - Big Nick keeps feet on ground

Nick Naitanui may be one of the hottest football properties in the country but the exciting teenager’s focus does not extend any further than next Sunday’s WAFL grand final.

The Swan Districts ruckman is set to be taken in the top three in November’s national draft ...

Author of the article has the same name but is not the same person as a former great Demon rover of the 1960's.

Naita has been put forward a few times for very little success. He set up a nice goal one time, but other than that he hasnt taken marks (he averages a touch under 2 marks a game), hasnt kicked goals, doesnt know when to lead, and has been generally lost and ineffective.

Last weekend he got played at CHB, where he has played a few matches the last few months. He had 5 goals kicked on him in one quarter and was benched before being sent back into the ruck. In the ruck he was comprehensively out strengthened both at hitouts and around the ground by none other than Mark Seaby. Seaby had also been carried a shoulder injury. Luckily for Naita he laid a tackle (one of the few stats he is currently good at) on Seaby late in the game, and Seaby landed awkwardly and missed most of the last quarter.

I've seen him play 4 times now I think, and his best game was a 13 touch, 11 hit out, 3 mark game. Hardly anything to write home about, but there were glimpses there. But thats all they were. Glimpses. He still didnt stamp himself convincingly on that game, or any games ive seen him play. I'm afraid he'll never be anything more than glimpses of talent, and we've had far too many of those kind at our club.

Naita is a freak athlete, but a footballer he aint. If we wasted #1 pick on him it would be a travesty to be honest.

Youre not alone in suggesting or thinking what weve seen is at loggerheads with the hype. Some others seem to have continued their growth in the game from the beginning of the year. Cant say Ive seen the same with Naita..Was quite excited about this guy at years start..werent we all. Was disappointing to watch...albeit limited occasions.. but thought id only need that to come away dizzy. Definitely pass over...let him be some other teams special project.