2008 Player Review - #7 Brad Miller

Demonland

7. Brad Miller [194cm 96 kg 07.03.83 - 110 games (16 in 2008), 60 goals (26 in 2008)] - retirements and injuries to other key forwards at the club often meant that Miller was the last man left standing in this important part of a team's line up and he would often have to roam far and wide to fill the cracks in an ailing forward line.

Miller stepped up to the plate in many games, lifted his performance under adversity and finished as leading goalkicker, albeit with only 26 goals. It would be good to see him take a few more inspirational pack marks like the one he took late in the game against the Brisbane Lions.

he followed an improvement line and the brisbane game was his best. we all knew what he was capable off. the brisbane game set a new standard and i expect to see him play like that next season.

apparently he can take contested marks. apparently he can take pack marks. apparently he can run around and slot them from 55 on the boundary. now he needs to do those things every week. i was sorely dissapointed when post-brisbane game i saw him looking to give off instead of having shots from 45-50. did he forget he can do it?

all he needs to do to stay at the club is have another year like this. but i will be dissapointed with anything less than 40 goals, and quite a few more pack marks. cameo appearances are not good enough for a CHF.

hopefully this year was his 'get back on track' year, after losing his way, possibly due to positional changes, the past 2. a big preseason hopefully next year can be a 'break out year'

In an awful season, Miller's progress was one of the shining lights. He has been somewhat a tease in his time for the Dees. 2004 was probably his best season until 2008. With Miller being given different tasks in between which may or may not have unsettled his form.

He's no Carey or Brereton, as some wish of him as they are waiting for him to 'break out' and take that next step - a big step at that. That won't happen after 110 games.

He had a couple of big games this season, notably the Brisbane game and his contested mark in the goal square. When he takes control and backs himself and has confidence he looks great. However, when he marks and dishes off a handpass (as he has done many a time) he looks hesitant and doesn't seem to have the confidence to make his own decision to kick forward of play.

After this year, bailey seems to have got thorugh to him in improving his game and confidence. I hope another pre-season under Bailey's tutelage will improve him to a Key Forward that could double this years tally of 26 goals from 16 games.

This ought to be an interesting thread !! :lol::rolleyes:

Well, not really going to eat Crow or Humble Pie but have beena long time critic of this bloke. He deserves some kudos in return.

Miller is NOT a magnificently talented player, more the shame. He does on the other hand have somehonest ability . I dont think anyone disputed this.It was his inability to deliver on it that created all the frustration. He seemed reluctant to actually back himslef and utilsie his ability, seemingly deferring to the 'team' play option all the time , often to nil effect.

He now seems aware that he can do something far more positive, especially by foot. He seems to be controlling his "niggle' far better and Miller 08 is definitely a vast improvement on miller 07. Does one dare for an evern better Miller 09 ?? I actually think he will. He appears more comfortable playing footy and I mean playing it..not playing AT it !

With another solid preseason and more of the Bailey influence I actually think he may flourish. Still only of the Good ilk ..but possibly very good. Some aspects of play are dictated by choices. Its not frosty's fault that often there was no one to kick it to save the bloke in the crowd holding the sign !!

With better company on the pitch and more belief in his own creativity..im looking forward to watching him next year.

(cant believe I just wrote that!! lol )

Things I like about Miller,

He has improved his goal-kicking through hard work.

He has gained confidence from the current coach.

He is a nuisance to other teams when he hustles up and continues to mark on the lead. This is his real talent and he must never forget it!

He is charismatic as an MFC 'people person' off-field. This is an important commodity with a club that needs every bit of +ve PR that it can wring from its list.

If he can tweak it up one more notch in 2009, and have an injury free run at it, he could yet be recognised more widely as a very good player.

His form this year has made my time in here a hell of a lot more relaxing ;) !!!

Good solid improvement and hopefully the start of the rest of his career at this level and better.

As for the rest I am going to just have to agree with Bub!!!

As for the rest I am going to just have to agree with Bub!!!

Must be a first...us agreeing on Miller...heheh ;)

He's done his apprenticeship. Now it's time to deliver consistently.

This forum is going to go wild next year on Miller, either way.

He should be rewarded with the co captaincy with McLean. Has turned into an impressive leader. Lets not forget the load he had to carry on the forward line this season.

He should be rewarded with the co captaincy with McLean. Has turned into an impressive leader. Lets not forget the load he had to carry on the forward line this season.

Hate having co-captains, and Miller needs to string two good years together. Let him concentrate on taking marks and kicking goals.

He's getting better though.

His best season so far, however he needs to continue improving and raising the bar. Right now he's filling a role with very little support, so you can't complain much about that.

Once we get some talented key forwards he'll find it difficult to hold his spot.

What he has now done is show that he has the elements of reasonable player.. He now needs to find the fabric that gels it all together.. we can only hope :)

Unfortunately I have to agree with Jarka; he has grown in leaps and bounds this year and Im sure we all hope this continues, but he's always going to be a "good honest tryer" and nothing more; I doubt anyone would argue that he has the makings of a premier CHF, and you can bet we'll be looking for one of those over the next few years. When we find one (and we have to), what then with Miller? I dont mean this as a slight on him, but the fact that he has been one of our best this year speaks volumes about the state of our list right now- if and when we're a serious contender for the flag, if Miller is still getting games, it will be as a third tall on either end of the ground, and as one of the bottom 11 players in our best 22.

On a positive note, he has obvious leadership qualities and apparently a great attitude (his teammates and coaching staff seem to hold him in the highest regard). He'll be great to have around the club in the rebuilding years, and even when we're a serious threat again, the intangible on-field qualities he brings; his ability to lead and inspire, could be valuable provided he's firmly in the best 22.

I think this is the way forward.. Get a REAL FF a proper KPP to fill that role and Miller at CHF..at least til others show any reason to displace him !