Jeff White to play on!

Mousey

I think keeping White on would be a waste of a spot.

If you need him as a leader and a teacher, sign him as a coach. After spending over 4 years on our list, its time Johnson and Jamar took ownership of their own careers. There's nothing White can help them with now, if they haven't learnt it yet they aren't going to learn it in the future.

I think Jamar has looked much better in the ruck this year than White anyway, I'd rather see his spot moved on for a younger person who can grow through our new core leadership group, those in the 21-24 range, and build together.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jeff for the good years..hope all works out well for you ...oh..I hear Fremantle might be looking for someone !! :rolleyes:;)

White for Pavlich...? Yeah, maybe they'll have to throw in a draft pick too

White for Pavlich...? Yeah, maybe they'll have to throw in a draft pick too

Maybe add more than a few cases of Margaret River product.. but I'd do that deal ;):lol:

Why would we trade at all for Warnock if we have the PSD#1 and Warnock is out of contract and want to come back to Victoria?

For two main reasons: first if we trade for him we retain the first pick to use on another player and/or as trump value for another trade and second because while hopefully more ruthless than in the past, I don't believe the club wants to "burn" other clubs.

For two main reasons: first if we trade for him we retain the first pick to use on another player and/or as trump value for another trade and second because while hopefully more ruthless than in the past, I don't believe the club wants to "burn" other clubs.

Yes - while some might think that's soft, it's going to come back and bite you if you don't play ball. I'd trade, but nothing I wouldn't lose sleep over giving up. Perhaps a pick in the 30s?

Why is it burning to give away your "vouchers" Thats just dumb !! There may wel be an argument for a trade with Warnock...but for me thats not it !! we're in it for US... bugger the rest of "THEM"

We dont know who or what will be lining up in the draft yet ( PSD ) If you were prudent youd keep your cards close to your chest at present

I tend to agree it is an option for your first reason. But we could very well play the "burn" option if there is no other player as tough decisions and tough stances might be the way to go if we're going to be ruthless as a club.

You only do a trade if you believe that it will improve your list. Midfielders are a dime a dozen, so it made sense to trade an overpaid Woewodin for a 1st rd pick. And I agree that trading Yze or TJ back then, wouldn't have hurt us in the short or long term. But quality ruckmen aren't easy to find. Jolly would have been an adequate replacement if we kept him, but he's no worldbeater.

Agreed.

So why did we hold on to Jeff White for so long given the rule change? Before his 2004 AA he had had an up and down performance run till then which could categorize his strengths/weaknesses then. There was a basis to ask some questions then about aspects of his game. By the end of 2005, his best was past him and on the same basis we traded Woey, we should have looked to traded White earlier and recruited a ruckman that was more akin to where the game was going.

I agree about Jolly. And I am not sure Jolly is a solution. Jolly had cracked the sads in 2004 and wanted to be a first ruck although his performances that year suggested otherwise. After 2004 it was not going to happen with White as reigning AA. It could not be foreseen then what was obvious in 2005. And I doubt we could have a kept a trucculent Jolly after 2005 and risked losing him to the PSD.

Fair point. I would be disappointed if we go above a 3rd pick for him under the circumstances.

Agreed.

So why did we hold on to Jeff White for so long given the rule change?

who knows Rhino...who knows.. The word 'dumb' does come to mind..We were very silly in a lot of list management decisions :mellow:

Interesting that he wants to play on.

He is 100% finished at the Demons.

You gotta wonder if another team will take him on.

But we could very well play the "burn" option if there is no other player as tough decisions and tough stances might be the way to go if we're going to be ruthless as a club.

Why is it burning to give away your "vouchers" Thats just dumb !! There may wel be an argument for a trade with Warnock...but for me thats not it !! we're in it for US... bugger the rest of "THEM"

That's fine, as long are you're prepared to have it bite you back.

who knows Rhino...who knows.. The word 'dumb' does come to mind..We were very silly in a lot of list management decisions :mellow:

A little harsh Bub. I understand the administration at the time thought they were coming into the zone of attempting a flag. At best it needed alot of things and everything to go their way. They did not go our way. Some things were there other were showing signs they were not. Some of the list management matters at the top of the list and at the rear end of the list did not do us any favours during that period.

That's fine, as long are you're prepared to have it bite you back.

and why wouldnt you be ? Its business..Its not our business to protect anothers..Its not our business to prop up anothers.

Yeah..its really hurting Carlton isnt it ?? For far too long weve played scaredy pants when dealing with others.. You dont think other clubs cant sniff that !! We need to play a lot harder and a lot smarter.

In all likely hood we may get nothing for Jeff..or any one else out of contract...thems the chances you take.

Rats is interested in bringing him to the Blues appaerently. We'll be happy to take a draft pick off his hands.

Heck we'll take a six pack VB and a carton of Winnie Blues at this stage

I'd prefer a pick upgrade, but yes - if he's to be delisted anyway, we'll take whatever.

I wouldn't mind doing a Geelong/St. Kilda, to ensure he gets to where he wants to go.

if hes out of contract he may walk into the PSD...we get nothing....thats life

if hes out of contract he may walk into the PSD...we get nothing....thats life

It makes sense for all parties to do a trade, even if it's for negligible value to us -

ie. Geelong/St. Kilda trade involving King

ie. Walsh to Port Adelaide

It makes sense for all parties to do a trade, even if it's for negligible value to us -

ie. Geelong/St. Kilda trade involving King

ie. Walsh to Port Adelaide

were talking Carlton here.. they play for keeps !!

Ratten acknowledged the team needed another key forward to help spearhead Brendan Fevola and said out-of-favour Melbourne ruckman Jeff White might be considered to help fast-track the development of young giants Matthew Kreuzer and Shaun Hampson.

"We've got Hampson and Kreuzer that are going to grow into men but we need to be mindful that we can't ask boys to do a man's job, week in week out," Ratten said.

- The Age

Jeff White will offer a lot to Carlton if he leaves.

He will be very good for them not only as a bridging player until Kruezer and Hampson are fully ready, but also as a mentor to the young Carlton ruckmen in their development.

That said, Carlton know they won't have to give up much for him despite the value he can give their team knowing how little value he appears to have left at our team.

Third round pick at best - Carlton should have a third round pick around 36-40 (However, if they make a play for Kerr they probably won't have a pick in the first three rounds at all to trade with)

I'd go Brad Green and Jeff White to Carlton for their first round pick. They may not be interested in that, however, so I'd also give up Whitey for a 3rd rounder.

Or they could possibly take either one in the PSD.

I'd doubt the Blues would trade more than a token 4th round pick for White if anything.

I'd prefer a pick upgrade, but yes - if he's to be delisted anyway, we'll take whatever.

I wouldn't mind doing a Geelong/St. Kilda, to ensure he gets to where he wants to go.

I wouldn't mind a pick upgrade either.

I'd doubt the Blues would trade more than a token 4th round pick for White if anything.

Agree. Seems about the market trade. Blues might have some competition from the likes of Sydney (ie Everitt more than likely will be shown the door), which at best could push it up to a third round pick. Although there would be an arm wrestle and exchange of late picks to obtain a 3rd round pick IMO - just speculating.

It's all speculation anyway, wish we all had a crystal ball!