Brad Green value on the market?

Neita3000

What's the source? 'Inside word', or just the recent newspaper reports re: Green's contract? It sounds like you're making a statement of fact, but it's tough to differentiate your presentation of fact and opinion sometimes (cf. Bode in the other thread) :P

Bode is an opinion. Green was reported in the paper media to be some way from contract finalisation.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hearing everywhere Brad is on his way elsewhere..

its a 50/50 apparently..

It will depend on what is on offer..

Hawks, Saints and Pies all over him allegedly..

Will be interesting to see, but I think he may stay if offered the C gig!

I think there are some pretty good players available for the draft. If MFC is palying in a GF in a few years time, a player we picked up with a pick we got for Green could all the difference. Green may not last that long. I really like Green but if he wants to go then give him the chance of ultimate success and improve our chance as well.

Guest skipper3

The young players on our list need a on-field & off-field leader like Brad. We must keep him.

[font=Arial Black]Demon in name & attitude.

Played an extremely good game today and will win our B & F by the length of the Flemington Straight.

What is Sydney offered pick 14?

I would definitly be conflicted.

If we could get a top 20 pick for Green we should take it.

It would be pretty heart breaking for me. but i think it would better for both parties.

As much as I usually agree with you Rhino, i disagree this time. I think some clubs would be certainly entertaining the idea of offering a top 20 pick for him. Especially with the year he has been having.

We really need to have a decent crack at this rebuild. Otherwise we will end up like Richmond.

However. I belive Brad will re-sign a new 3 year deal soon.

If we could get a top 20 pick for Green we should take it.

It would be pretty heart breaking for me. but i think it would better for both parties.

As much as I usually agree with you Rhino, i disagree this time. I think some clubs would be certainly entertaining the idea of offering a top 20 pick for him. Especially with the year he has been having.

We really need to have a decent crack at this rebuild. Otherwise we will end up like Richmond.

However. I belive Brad will re-sign a new 3 year deal soon.

Whilst clubs would be entertaining 'the idea', Melbourne will not, mfc will keep him and sign him soon. End of story. Bruce and Green are required players.

Whilst clubs would be entertaining 'the idea', Melbourne will not, mfc will keep him and sign him soon. End of story. Bruce and Green are required players.

For our surge up the ladder to 10th?

Let's have an agenda that looks to a flag and not protection of careers. In terms of a flag, their value is in the draft picks they may attract.

I'm not saying get rid of them at all costs, and nor am I saying that they haven't been fine servants of the club.

What I am saying is that glory requires sacrifice, and we desparately need some glory.

Let's have an agenda that looks to a flag and not protection of careers. In terms of a flag, their value is in the draft picks they may attract.

I'm not saying get rid of them at all costs, and nor am I saying that they haven't been fine servants of the club.

What I am saying is that glory requires sacrifice, and we desparately need some glory.

It is well said and I agree. It's a matter of finding an alternative way. Is their an alternative way for sacrificing for glory?

Rpfc, Would you go ahead and sacrifice the Best & Fairest or the Second Best & Fairest for 2008? Because that is what you are essentially saying....

And would you Rogue?

And would you Rogue?

Yes - team success is the most important consideration.

If we felt that Green would be over the hill when our next tilt comes around, and we could improve our premiership chances by trading him (for a top pick), then it'd be the way to go.

It may also be a win for Green, as he could go to a Club that felt they were closer to a premiership.

NB: Don't get me wrong, I like Green, and think he's a good player with a few years left - precisely why he may have value as a trade.

Guest skipper3
I think he is a good player, I want a flag.

1st round pick and thanks for the memories champ.

We will not get a !st round pick for him people - the draft this year is quite deep & its the last draft that will be uncompromised, so why would clubs want to trade awya very good picks for a player who is 27??

We should keep him as he is a very good senior guy to have around the club to guide the young boys through.

It is well said and I agree. It's a matter of finding an alternative way. Is their an alternative way for sacrificing for glory?

Rpfc, Would you go ahead and sacrifice the Best & Fairest or the Second Best & Fairest for 2008? Because that is what you are essentially saying....

And would you Rogue?

If they are 27 and 28 respectively I would.

They are too old to be around for our next tilt, our talent is young and we should strengthen with 18 to 22 year olds now so that we have our best chance of a flag.

The fabric of the club may be torn by trading Green, but who cares. The fabric means nothing according to the AFL, is $5m in debt, and was coloured silver for 4 games this year. It's already ripped to shreds.

Seriously, if you think that Brad Green leaving will hurt more than Woey, you have short memories or you are just searching for arguments to give an irresponsible $450k three year deal to a 27 year old.

At the same time, I haven't seen any clubs surge from 10th to a premiership on the back on an extra late first round draft pick, which is about the best you'd get for Green or Bruce.

The question is therefore which is more valuable ... a known quantity that provides experience and leadership for a limited period of time (say 3-4 years) while we rebuild, or an unknown quantity of an extra draft pick that could be anything from a 10-year star to a 2-year dud?

The question is therefore which is more valuable ... a known quantity that provides experience and leadership for a limited period of time (say 3-4 years) while we rebuild, or an unknown quantity of an extra draft pick that could be anything from a 10-year star to a 2-year dud?

More valuable? The Unknown Quantity.

Welcome to a rebuild - tough decisions and educated gambles.

We will not get a !st round pick for him people - the draft this year is quite deep & its the last draft that will be uncompromised, so why would clubs want to trade awya very good picks for a player who is 27??

We should keep him as he is a very good senior guy to have around the club to guide the young boys through.

As allways, those clubs that are just short of the top cat club, are desperate to try to quickly bridge the gap on the leading team, (Cats), & also in the case of the Doggies, they want to close in on the Hawks as well. They can see a window opening after this year, (09/010), especially if the Cats win back to back this year, it's incredibly hard for a team to threepeat. There's the window, & the opportunity to trade a quality mature player of value to teams in this position. As I said, pick 14 & 15 aren't out of the equation.

No top 10 picks will be traded, of this i,m pretty sure except for a star like JBrown or Kerr or Pavlich.

Guest Demon heart
Still, it could be a good move on he and his management's part, that he leaves it until the end of the season with him on the verge of winning the B&F. Some bargaining power in other words.

Had McLean played a full year, he would of won it. Bruce and Miller (maybe Wheatley too), will be the dangers for Green in the Bluey.

trade miller and get some one with guts, for a bigger bloke he likes to step aside and let the little guys do the tough work...........

Guest Demon heart
I dont care if its a top 10 pick. I wouldnt trade Brad. We need to keep some players to build our young team around.

Bruce, Green and McDonald being the core in my opinion.

sorry but i dont think miller is the guy to build a side around, not much to show in his 100 games, remember when he, he ,he did something, i dont.............