Awkard hypothetical scenario

Jarka

-Jon Brown can't come to an agreement with Brisbane, they refuse to budge on 3 years and won't give him the 5 he wants.

-A deal is struck between Brisbane and Collingwood but for various reasons the trade doesn't get done in time and both clubs miss the deadline.

-Jon Brown nominates for the psd with a set price.

-Melbourne finishes last and has enough room in the Salary cap to fit Jon Brown in.

-There are no other decent players available in the psd.

I know it's far fetched but it's only 3 games to go and they seem to be very far away from reaching an agreement. My understanding is that Brown will accept either a two year deal to give him a shot with the new GC team or a 5 year deal to ensure his retirement money. Brisbane aren't at all happy with either option.

If Melbourne are in a position to take him in the psd then they should pounce, but with the stance they took with the McNamee situation it would make it very difficult without having a huge amount of egg on our face. Jimmy, I love your work but perhpas in hindsight this could have been handled differently....

Sure we're not in premiership mode for at least a couple of seasons but he would be great from a marketing side of things and would be brilliant for a young kid like Watts to learn his craft from.

or would he simply keep young forwards like watts and newton out of the 1st's, and push miller further away from goal?

just playing devils advocate.

out of interest how many years would we sign him for in psd? would we offer him short term contract to allow him to go to the gold coast? or want to sign him up for his career?

Given the state of the AFL ladder, MFC likely to have PSD pick # 1 and given that Brown's management has stated that he does not want to come to MFC and wants a hefty retirement contract, I cant see Jonathan Brown drifting into the PSD or MFC selecting him.

If we can fit it into the cap, and very well in (i.e. the 92.5%) and keep our other players contracted, I suppose a two year deal wouldn't be out of the question.

I don't see it happening, and wouldn't be over the moon if we signed someone so far out of our target age. I think our club is at a time where it really has to signal its own intentions and stick to its own direction rather than be swayed by big names

or would he simply keep young forwards like watts and newton out of the 1st's, and push miller further away from goal?

just playing devils advocate.

out of interest how many years would we sign him for in psd? would we offer him short term contract to allow him to go to the gold coast? or want to sign him up for his career?

Being a demon supporter I would expect nothing less....

I would gladly sacrifice Miller's and Newton's offensive capabilities to get a player of Jon Brown's abilities into the team. I couldn't think of a current better player for Jack Watts to play alongside in the early part of his career.

Look, I personally don't think it will happen, he doesn't think much of the demons. However there's potentially a possibility that it could, but with the way that McNamee's dismissal was handled it would make it very hard for us to even talk to his manager. If the media got their hands on it we'd be trashed from pillar to post.

.... it would make it very hard for us to even talk to his manager.

If it got to the stage of Brown going into the PSD (highly unlikely), then it would be harder for his manager to talk to us given the public comments they have made.

What would happen if in the unlikely scenario we took him in the PSD and could not come to terms on contract, MFC would be without a player and where would Brown be then?...without an AFL career.

If it got to the stage of Brown going into the PSD (highly unlikely), then it would be harder for his manager to talk to us given the public comments they have made.

What would happen if in the unlikely scenario we took him in the PSD and could not come to terms on contract, MFC would be without a player and where would Brown be then?...without an AFL career.

If a player nominates his terms prior to entering the PSD then the club that selects him has to meet those terms, or at the very least has to include them in their TPP. If a club selected a player and then reneged on those terms I would think the club would be in all sorts of trouble.

Another hypothetical if a player like Brown did end up in the PSD and nominated a very high contract amount, what would that do to teams being eligible to select him? The AFL has to give approval for clubs to participate in the PSD based on TPP estimates. If a club was approved to participate and could afford all other players but would exceed the cap by selecting Brown, could the AFL exclude them from being able to select him?

However, he has come out and said that he does not want to go to Melbourne, under any circumstances

This is what it comes down to. I appreciate the hypothetical but it's unthinkable that this will occur. The two main reasons are:

1. There is no way he would walk for free. He is a champion of the club and claims to be a staunch loyalist. If the situation became untenable and say Collingwood offered something too good to refuse then he would insure that something along the lines of say 1st and 2nd round pick and Didak for Brown came the Lions way. The only club he would entertain is Collingwood or possibly Carlton. I have no idea what Carlton will do cap wise with Judd and Brown in a couple of years time seeing as though Murphy and Gibbs' next contract would no doubt be worth at least $400,000.

2. As already stated he does not want to play for Melbourne and the club with their actions have stated he is not a wanted player. But this is already a non-issue as there is no way he will walk.

I would gladly sacrifice Newton's offensive capabilities

i have seen nothing this year to indicate that we would be losing too much from sacrificing his offensive capabilities, as for miller we could play him out of the square as a true FF, we have seen how accurate his kicking is this year.

However, he has come out and said that he does not want to go to Melbourne, under any circumstances

If he walks into PSD and we meet his offer, he plays for us. It's a draft, not free agency.

Of course you take JBrown if he's free in PSD. Doubt he'll ever screw over the lions and leave them with nothing though.

Taking deano's devil advocate stance I have a reply for this.

Perhaps he took this line because of the club's attitude towards McNamee's desire to land him. We basically said 'we don't want him', to a player of Brown's ego that must have had an affect. I wouldn't be surprised if that comment was made mostly out of retaliation of our stance.

Just another possible reason of why the whole situation should have been handled differently.

As RR has already stated, their hands were tied when the info was leaked to the press, but who did the leaking?

He would teach our Forward line & club in General so much. At Present we have no "Walk up" Leaders. If he is available in the PSD at a workable price-Grab Him. Don't worry about egg on face, this is a ruthless business. Time for Melbourne to get Tough. I wouldn't swap Draft Picks for him But PDSD is a totally different matter.

I too thought Brisbane would have stitched him up by now-Interesting times are ahead

No it wont------look mark my word. J. Brown will be a Lion until tehy have to drag him off the ground.

Remember that he made an effort to sit down and convince as many premiership players to stay with the club.

He wont leave!

I think some people are having a little trouble grappling the meaning of "hypothetical".

No I am not actually. Iam just responding to others, who think this is actually a possibility.

If he doesn't come to suitable terms with Brisbane, he will leave. Brown Knows his worth & also would be well aware that this could be his last Contract. This story aint over

-Jon Brown can't come to an agreement with Brisbane, they refuse to budge on 3 years and won't give him the 5 he wants.

-A deal is struck between Brisbane and Collingwood but for various reasons the trade doesn't get done in time and both clubs miss the deadline.

-Jon Brown nominates for the psd with a set price.

-Melbourne finishes last and has enough room in the Salary cap to fit Jon Brown in.

-There are no other decent players available in the psd.

I know it's far fetched but it's only 3 games to go and they seem to be very far away from reaching an agreement. My understanding is that Brown will accept either a two year deal to give him a shot with the new GC team or a 5 year deal to ensure his retirement money. Brisbane aren't at all happy with either option.

If Melbourne are in a position to take him in the psd then they should pounce, but with the stance they took with the McNamee situation it would make it very difficult without having a huge amount of egg on our face. Jimmy, I love your work but perhpas in hindsight this could have been handled differently....

Sure we're not in premiership mode for at least a couple of seasons but he would be great from a marketing side of things and would be brilliant for a young kid like Watts to learn his craft from.

My understanding is that to go into the PSD he has to nominate terms.

What are they? Without that piece of information this hypothetical is meaningless.

As RR has already stated, their hands were tied when the info was leaked to the press, but who did the leaking?

Didn't Paul McNamee announce the J.Brown approach upon his sacking, directly to the media?

I don't see it happening, and wouldn't be over the moon if we signed someone so far out of our target age. I think our club is at a time where it really has to signal its own intentions and stick to its own direction rather than be swayed by big names

I agree.

In my opinion the most important person to recruit to the MFC is a new CEO

lets get the best not just the best available

the on field stuff will take care of itself

In my opinion the most important person to recruit to the MFC is a new CEO

lets get the best not just the best available

the on field stuff will take care of itself

Absolutely-That Decision is Paramount. We must get the Best. Let's not forget what Happened last tuesday night Either. All Those Business people who dug Deep will want the Best CEO. They certainly will not want to waste Hard earned...Last Tuesday was very Important For the MFC.

I can't see J.Brown getting through to the PSD. ANd yes it is all hypothetical, I expect him to sign to Brisbane soon.

I agree.

I'm not sure I strictly do. On the field I believe getting Brown would be a waste as our premiership window isn't open, but off the field he's the sort of person who can attract sponsorship and therefore the corporate $ -- something we're desperately in need right now. It would be a short term fix, but not in the traditional sense. It's a question of weighing up the on field requirements vs the off. In our case that's more critical than it would be for other clubs.

If his terms were good and we had the resources available, AND he became available in the PSD (essentially, we get him for free), I doubt the club would say no.