Concerns about Morton

joeboy

Having another look at this thread the next day and it's still absurd. Joeboy, I generally like your work, I don't agree with alot of things you post but I like the fact that you're prepared to put your thoughts out there.

Morton was not my preferred option for pick 4, and yes if you judge him right now he has several holes in his game, but he's still very young. Give him time for his body to fill out and for him to adjust to the tempo of the game. He was never going to adapt to the pace of AFL as quickly as Cotchin, Masten or Palmer because of his build, once this team develops and gains experience they'll play alot better. Right now we have a bunch of kids with very little support from the mature, experienced seniors.

They'll get better (I hope)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all looking for a superstar at our club we sometimes expect that if you are taken top 5 in the draft that you will be that superstar. Our club over the past 10 years has done very poorly from our early first round picks. Mclean is the only exception that is still on our list. Morton may be a star in the next 5 years but we can't continue to have such high expectations from an 18yo in his first year. He is the least of of concerns at the moment he will get better.

I'd pretty much rate vitriol as "concerns" over an 18 year old first player averaging 16.6 possessions a game, who has shown class and skill in the contest, and the "concern" is that he's genetically attached to his shortcomings.

I'd say the bigger concern was that an 18 year old playing in Perth for the first time looked good, but then when the pressure was on none of his teammates lifted to stop the bleeding in the second quarter.

A 46 KG player nearing the end of his first season is probably tired, and if he still makes the same mistakes in 5 years then i might believe your "genetic" theory, until then i'll keep laughing

Well I have to agree that Jarryd Morton had a shocker for the Hawks, but concerns about genetic links between him and Cale are ridiculous. By the way, I didn't notice Mitch Morton dropping and fumbling the ball for Richmond on Saturday. Cale showed in the first quarter what he is capable of, but his youth, inexperience, and small stature mean he's not able to play 4 consecutive good quarters. End of discussion.

This thread bring back memories of what some Carlton supporters were saying a year ago about Bryce Gibbs.

A summer or two in the gym and 20 more games experience in Morton's legs will change this appreciably.

Spot on!!!!!!!!

Im more concerned by the fact that he doesn't put his head over the football when it is his turn.

Hard to judge him on that aspect of his game when you look at his size.

I didn't follow his junior career closely, but was this an issue at under 18 level too? Because you can see why the transition into AFL will take time. Physically he really is not developed enough, and if this is not an ingrained issue than I'm sure it's one that a few extra kilos will solve.

Being an 18 year old first year player in a team without leaders when we're being run over the top of at Subiaco is a pretty good reason i'd think

Being an 18 year old first year player in a team without leaders when we're being run over the top of at Subiaco is a pretty good reason i'd think

Its truly amazing how a self proclaimed "expert" can miss the bleeding obvious like that.

Very good reason indeed.

Yes I know he's young ; yes I know he's inexperienced ; yes I know there's lots of upside to the guy .

BUT-

If you watched the Hawks succumb to the pressure exerted by the Saints last night ,you may have noticed Cale's brother continually fumble , stutter , and turn over the ball when the heat was applied.

My concern now is that it may be a genetic thing because Cale regularly turned it over and missed his targets too when the pressure ultimately came after quarter time .

I'm not even going to read the past this post on this thread it is that ludicrous.

If you want 18 year olds to be the absolute superstars of the sport you watch, switch to Gymnastics.

Otherwise, stop showing your ignorance, its embarrassing

Hard to judge him on that aspect of his game when you look at his size.

I didn't follow his junior career closely, but was this an issue at under 18 level too? Because you can see why the transition into AFL will take time. Physically he really is not developed enough, and if this is not an ingrained issue than I'm sure it's one that a few extra kilos will solve.

When the ball is there to be won at ground level, it doesn't matter what is coming, the player should get down and get it and not run a thought process of 'he is bigger than me, I wont compete for the footy here,' or 'If I go here, I will get hurt, I won't go then.' Ricky Petterd was a thoroughly fearless player in his early games and Cameron Hunter, half the size of Morton, was very hard at it.

He is a very highly skilled player and a good and promising one, but he definitely needs to improve in this area. "When it's your turn" is the number one golden rule of footy in my opinion Hopefully extra size gives him the confidence to do that, otherwise he is going to be embarrassed and to be honest I wouldnt tolerate shirking from a team-mate or a player I was coaching, happy to give the benefit of doubt in terms of his age and size and playing against men, but it is concerning.

Guest redandbluethruandthru
I'm not even going to read the past this post on this thread it is that ludicrous.

If you want 18 year olds to be the absolute superstars of the sport you watch, switch to Gymnastics.

Otherwise, stop showing your ignorance, its embarrassing

no where has joeboy stated that he expects cale to be a superstar at 18.

i too expect any player who is deemed good enough to be drafted at an early pick to have the basic kicking and handballing skills to be at an adequate standard. bigger body + more experience does improve certain aspects of players abilities but basic skill errors are not excused by merely playing at the top level especially poor kicking whilst in the clear.

no where has joeboy stated that he expects cale to be a superstar at 18.

i too expect any player who is deemed good enough to be drafted at an early pick to have the basic kicking and handballing skills to be at an adequate standard. bigger body + more experience does improve certain aspects of players abilities but basic skill errors are not excused by merely playing at the top level especially poor kicking whilst in the clear.

The kid is 15kg off his eventual playing weight, his skills are more than fine, he is just adjusting to the pressure of playing against men in the best league possible.

20 touches and 2 goals for an 18 year old in his 14th or so game of football is not that bad.

Tell me, What DO you want from Cale Morton this year, and next year for that matter?

When Jack Watts doesn't kick 50 koals at CHF next year, are you going to talk about him not being as sure with his hands as you'd expect from a no1 pick and raise concerns about him also?

There were 22 players out there yesterday who were disgraceful after quarter time. Lets cast aspersions over the 18 year old eh?

Be concerned in 2010 when we are 10 and 3 and it's still happening; until then, enjoy the ride.

Cale Morton if drafted to anyone of these clubs wouldn't have played a game.

Adelaide

Brisbane Lions

Geelong

North Melbourne

Western Bulldogs

Hawthorn

Sydney

Richmond

Port Adelaide

St Kilda

Collingwood

If drafted to these clubs he would have played less than 5 games

Carlton

Bombers

Fremantle

If drafted to these clubs he would have been rushed into getting a game due to the fact that that particular club has such a poor list.

Melbourne

West Coast

Cale will take time. For those question his disposal, well I don't seem to remember many ppl questioning it when he first made his debut. In fact in those 100 point losses to the Dogs and the Hawks that was one of the highlights. The kid will be fine.

At one stage in the game on the weekend Morton received the ball in our forward 50 in traffic. He moved forward, sold a dummy and side stepped a defender, then ran a couple of metres and calmly kicked a goal.

He's demonstrated that he has the skills and composure, he's only inconsistent because of his age and experience, but thankfully most of us realise this.

Thank you to all those who have made disparraging remarks about me and this thread .

How about you all read the opening lines of my opening comment before you all jump to the defence of poor young Cale ?

IN case you missed it I will go over my points carefully .

JOEBOY NOTES THAT MORTON IS YOUNG , SKILLED AND HAS PLENTY OF UPSIDE TO HIM . .

NOTE - No mention is ever made of him being a crap player !!!!!

Joeboy sees Morton's brother [censored] himself and fumble and turn over the ball for Hawthorn every time a StKilda player puts pressure on him .

The next day Joeboy sees Cale do the exact same thing after quarter time against the Fockers when the pressure was exerted .

Joboy reports that he is dismayed to think that there is a propensity for the Morton brothers to [censored] themselves and turnover the ball when confronted by opposition pressure .

Goodbye that is all .

Adelaide

Brisbane Lions

Geelong

North Melbourne

Western Bulldogs

Hawthorn

Sydney

Richmond

Port Adelaide

St Kilda

Collingwood

If drafted to these clubs he would have played less than 5 games

Carlton

Bombers

Fremantle

If drafted to these clubs he would have been rushed into getting a game due to the fact that that particular club has such a poor list.

Melbourne

West Coast

Cale will take time. For those question his disposal, well I don't seem to remember many ppl questioning it when he first made his debut. In fact in those 100 point losses to the Dogs and the Hawks that was one of the highlights. The kid will be fine.

That is just crap. He would of played at all 16 clubs.

Agree generally but would exclude Geelong.

:lol: Maybe 1 exception....they are a good unit

I'm sure Bomber would of squeezed him in for maybe 1 game............probably against the Dees earlier in the year....

:lol: Maybe 1 exception....they are a good unit

I'm sure Bomber would of squeezed him in for maybe 1 game............probably against the Dees earlier in the year....

I'm not discrediting Morton. In fact if you look through my previous posts i continually defend him against his baggers. But the mere fact is he is a project player and if he was at any other club bar West Coast they would have the luxury of developing him in the VFL. Yes he might come in for a game or two to get a taste of the big time, but he would not be playing as many games as he has at the Demons.

Is this a bad thing? Probaby not in the long run, yet at the beginning its going to attract alot of wankers thinking that he can't play the game.

I'm not discrediting Morton. In fact if you look through my previous posts i continually defend him against his baggers. But the mere fact is he is a project player and if he was at any other club bar West Coast they would have the luxury of developing him in the VFL. Yes he might come in for a game or two to get a taste of the big time, but he would not be playing as many games as he has at the Demons.

Is this a bad thing? Probaby not in the long run, yet at the beginning its going to attract alot of wankers thinking that he can't play the game.

That's fine, my point is I disagree with this:

Adelaide

Brisbane Lions

Geelong

North Melbourne

Western Bulldogs

Hawthorn

Sydney

Richmond

Port Adelaide

St Kilda

Collingwood

I believe he would of had a start in the AFL seniors at all of these clubs this season, had he been picked by these clubs. (With a tiny question mark on Geelong)