THE DUTCHY MYSTERY EXPLAINED

alpha33

Each week, the 31-year-old has been declared fit to play by club medicos, hence his absence from any official lists.

But Holland, who continues to train with the club, is taking a cautious approach and has so far resisted a return through the VFL.

Holland was named in the ruck for Sandringham last week, but was a late withdrawal.

He continues to receive match payments from the Demons.

Melbourne remains hopeful Holland will finally play a VFL game this week, but there are ...

BEN HOLLAND DECLARED FIT, BUT RELUCTANT TO PLAY

Goodbye Dutchy!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what are the reprucssions of this in relation to the 50% payment for next year due to 'career ending injury'. i suppose he could claim that he never played again after his injury so it was career ending. interesting position to be in for the club. our medicos are declaring him fit. wonder if he has any medical advice to the contrary?

what are the reprucssions of this in relation to the 50% payment for next year due to 'career ending injury'. i suppose he could claim that he never played again after his injury so it was career ending. interesting position to be in for the club. our medicos are declaring him fit. wonder if he has any medical advice to the contrary?

Mark Stevens has simply highlighted what Ben Holland is all about. Answer: $$$$$. As long as our medicos keep declaring him fit to play. He should not be entitled to payment for a "career ending injury."

Interesting that Holland is good mates with Benny Gale, the bastion of player's rights...

I've never been a fan of Gale, I support the AFLPA 100%, I dont like his approach though.

After the events of recent months it seems to me that maybe Holland's been getting some advice off his expert mate.

I think Dutchy is a stand up guy and will not unfairly hold the club for ransom at their detriment.

Smells of 'TANK-ITIS' to me and he is just helping by saying he feels he can't deliver. Or he doesn't want to re-injure the shoulder and need surgery for the sake of 1 more game. Maybe he doesn't want to retire in the hope he'll get a round 22 send off with his mates Ooze and Whitey

Deanox,

This is very important issue and applies to every senior player that is about to finish at year end. It also applies if those player continue to play for Sandy if Sandy makes the finals this year. IMO players who will be retired this year like White, Yze and Holland should not get a testimonial game. They only play if their form warrants it. And IMO it does not. Give them a lap around the G in open top car.

If the view is that they will not be selected gain then they should be retired and paid out and should not be made available for Sandy beyond the end of August

If the view is that they will not be selected gain then they should be retired and paid out

How do they go about doing that though? White & Yze have made it clear they do not want to retire, at least not during this season.

I agree that they shouldnt get a testimonial game however expecting them to retire because it makes MFC's life easier seems like wishful thinking.

I think Dutchy is a stand up guy and will not unfairly hold the club for ransom at their detriment.

Smells of 'TANK-ITIS' to me and he is just helping by saying he feels he can't deliver. Or he doesn't want to re-injure the shoulder and need surgery for the sake of 1 more game. Maybe he doesn't want to retire in the hope he'll get a round 22 send off with his mates Ooze and Whitey

So there is Dutchy, Ooze and Whitey..............anyone else for moving on?

How do they go about doing that though? White & Yze have made it clear they do not want to retire, at least not during this season.

I agree that they shouldnt get a testimonial game however expecting them to retire because it makes MFC's life easier seems like wishful thinking.

I am not so sure about White.

No problem. Their careers stop at MFC when MFC H & A season stops..... period.

Fair enough, I thought you were suggesting forcing them into retirement mid-season.

If they have no further intention to play next year, they are on a high $$$ contract and they had no or little chance of forcing selection with MFC then a quiet word and an early retirement would seem appropriate.

If they have no further intention to play next year, they are on a high $$$ contract and they had no or little chance of forcing selection with MFC then a quiet word and an early retirement would seem appropriate.

Definetly, thats a far cry from a forcing them into retirement though, the ball is left in the player's court. As laughable as it is Yze has come out and said he is keen to continue playing AFL, so he's hardly going to be receptive to a mid-season retirement.

Somewhat annoying as Ive always liked Dutchy. This development disheartens me.

Im a correct in that he is all but simply refusing to play ?i.e He fit enough..is selected..but chooses for whatever to not to?

Isnt that simply Breach of Contract ?

Somewhat annoying as Ive always liked Dutchy. This development disheartens me.

Im a correct in that he is all but simply refusing to play ?i.e He fit enough..is selected..but chooses for whatever to not to?

Isnt that simply Breach of Contract ?

thats what i would've thought. if the club medicos decalre you fit, and you cant offer any medical evidence to the contrary yet you refuse to play surely thats breech of contract and the mfc can stop paying you?

Definetly, thats a far cry from a forcing them into retirement though, the ball is left in the player's court.

Not really. No team can "force" a player to retire beyond what I said before. Its just that its done on amicable terms.

I hope this scenario won't result in going to the Courts.

It is increasingly becoming apparent (and I don't want to jump the gun), that with Dutchy - it is All for One and not One for All.........

I hope this scenario won't result in going to the Courts.

It is increasingly becoming apparent (and I don't want to jump the gun), that with Dutchy - it is All for One and not One for All.........

He has nine weeks of payment left. He has no chance of playing AFL again. Lets just pay him out and afford any issue and keep this out of the media. There is not enough money involved to get lawyers or the courts involved.

He is yesterday. Lets move on.

He has nine weeks of payment left. He has no chance of playing AFL again. Lets just pay him out and afford any issue and keep this out of the media. There is not enough money involved to get lawyers or the courts involved.

I tend to agree. We will be in no worse a position and if anything it might send a clear message "Dont stuff us around"

It'll give Benny more time to concentrate on other things without the inconvenience of work. ;)

i think the problem with doing that is that it indicates he wont play again, and therefore can argue that the injury ended his career.

we need to keep selecting him so that at the end of it all, it was his choice not to play, not ours to sack him.

i wonder what would happen if he was selected for the mfc this week? would he put his hand up, pull on the red socks? maybe we could do that, get him to warm up, then pull a late change on him...

I think part of this is the club need to instruct its workers that...you play when WE say so...not you !!

You can't force guys to play if they don't feel they're right.

As I understand it.. the quacks et al have him as fit.. its he thats making the call. Thats the issue I have with. If he's not fit.he's not fit. If he wasnt fit..this isnt /wouldnt be an issue, but apparently thats not what is reported

i think the problem with doing that is that it indicates he wont play again, and therefore can argue that the injury ended his career.

we need to keep selecting him so that at the end of it all, it was his choice not to play, not ours to sack him.

i wonder what would happen if he was selected for the mfc this week? would he put his hand up, pull on the red socks? maybe we could do that, get him to warm up, then pull a late change on him...

Keep selecting him at Sandy and let him pull out. There are only a few rounds to go. No need or value in doing anything that could be labelled discriminatory. That just opens a hornet's nest. And the Club will be dirt in the media.