• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Chopper Lovell on Sandringham

Angry_Bird

Just wanted to alert you to Chopper Lovell's report from Sandy...

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/D...px?newsid=62130

His assessment of Newton made me think he is a long way from being the FF or CHF we all dreamed of. He just may become the least successful player in the history of the AFL to win mark of the year...

From the Sandy Reserves

Michael Newton

Michael had nine possessions, but didn’t play as well as he did in his last two games, where he displayed a lot more energy and attacked the ball much harder. Having said that, he still competed hard on a wet and windy day, and presented well at the ball. Another positive to come out of Michael’s performance was his defensive pressure, which will continue to be a focus for him

Looks like Maric was also unimpressive, although he did say to me at the 150 dinner that he thought he would be a gun.

Addam Maric

Addam really struggled to get into the game. His work rate was down and he was reactive. He just didn’t play with any authority.

Wouldn't be too worried about Maric. You have to remember with him that he has come from absoluting dominating junior football as a youngster to playing a much tougher brand of football in the VFL all whilst still completing his Yr12 studies.

I don't understand why people think Newton is the forward line saviour of this club was taekn pick 40 odd 4 years ago now.

Wouldn't be too worried about Maric.

I agree. It's not even worth mentioning the fact that he was unimpressive, IMHO. He's nowhere near selection atm, and has been impressive in other games so there's not a problematic trend. It's expected that he'll be inconsistent - he's still in year 12.

I don't understand why people think Newton is the forward line saviour of this club was taekn pick 40 odd 4 years ago now.

Because last year he showed some great improvement and potential when the ball came into the forward 50, taking MOTY also propelled him onto the stage and while that doesn't PROVE anything because i'm sure some VFA players can get as high up, he was a great positive towards the end of a very bleak year in 2007.

While this year seems to have been ruined by injury, he still needs to up his work ethic to get into the team. We need a big forward target and at this point he is one of the very few who can fill that void.

Because last year he showed some great improvement and potential when the ball came into the forward 50, taking MOTY also propelled him onto the stage and while that doesn't PROVE anything because i'm sure some VFA players can get as high up, he was a great positive towards the end of a very bleak year in 2007.

While this year seems to have been ruined by injury, he still needs to up his work ethic to get into the team. We need a big forward target and at this point he is one of the very few who can fill that void.

Well Bailey selected him from Rd 1 so obviously the coaching staff must rate him somewhat. Still yet I watched him in that game V the Hawks and I have never seen such an insipid performance.

Well Bailey selected him from Rd 1 so obviously the coaching staff must rate him somewhat. Still yet I watched him in that game V the Hawks and I have never seen such an insipid performance.

Its clear after his performance against Hawthorn that the Coaching dont rate him. Injuries aside he has played 3 full weeks in Sandy 2nds and has not dominated where his ability would suggest that he is head and shoulders above that standard. Over the past 3 years when he has been blocked by Sautner et al in the Sandy 1s, he used to routinely put on performances for spectators at TBO.

His attitude is no where near where it should be. Been a big disappointment.

Sort of makes you think he might be some 'spice' to a trade later doesnt it !!

Very happy to read this:

Simon Buckley

Simon played a tagging role for the third week in a row. He played on David Spriggs, who had been averaging 30 possessions, and he kept him to 14 possessions, completely shutting him out of the game. Simon was able to collect 14 possessions, and all in all he did a good job for the team. In terms of his development, it was another good step forward in developing the defensive side of his game. We need to continue to develop his accountability, so when he does play at AFL level he knows how to play on an opponent, beat them one on one, and then get off them to attack the game.

As for Newton, I've never seen much and don't understand the excitement or expectation that surrounds him...

Very happy to read this:

I hadn't read the article as previously I'd found Lovell's articles to be sugar coated fluff. Thanks for pointing that bit out though, that's very good to hear. Playing him as a tagger for a few weeks seems like a sensible move as his defensive work is what is keeping him out of the side. What better way to learn?

Very happy to read this:

As for Newton, I've never seen much and don't understand the excitement or expectation that surrounds him...

My guess (and it certainly explains my hope that I had for him) is that people were hoping he'd be ok simply because we had no other young key forwards coming through to replace David Neitz.

I hadn't read the article as previously I'd found Lovell's articles to be sugar coated fluff. Thanks for pointing that bit out though, that's very good to hear. Playing him as a tagger for a few weeks seems like a sensible move as his defensive work is what is keeping him out of the side. What better way to learn?

i've always read them, but with a grain of salt... but he was pretty blunt in this report...

maybe he was still in a bad mood after the results on the weekend...

i've always read them, but with a grain of salt... but he was pretty blunt in this report...

maybe he was still in a bad mood after the results on the weekend...

Out of all of these reports that I've read this last one seems to be the most honest, it's definitely a refreshing change.