Not enough Supporters

Roost It

We can [censored] all we like about MCC members, supporters not going to games and small crowds. The fact is not enough people barrack for Melbourne.

Here's why

!. Barrassi left and stole the club's heart which went to Carlton along with a good whack of our supporters and their children and their children's children.

2. Those who stayed left a little later when we sacked Norm Smith.

2. As game became corporatised we were left out in the cold due to poor administration by our club.

3. Then we talked merger with North Melbourne.

4. Finally, as our beloved Demon lay battered and bruised on the floor those in charge of our club tried to merge it with Hawthorn. We voted YES to this, maybe not everyone but as a club we voted to end our club, we voted to become the The Dorks. F___k me, that night at Dallas Brooks Hall was the possibly the final nail in the coffin for this club.

5. All this left us with a handful of passionate but seeemingly dispirited supporters and and old crew of MCC supporters too embarrased to help this club because let's face it, it doesn't help itself!

I really hope this is going to change and I'm out there talking up the changes that have occured but this is it, we need to be seen helping ourselves and in the process gathering more supporters. I like the sound of Casey and I'm a huge fan of Jim Stynes and Dean Bailey impresses me more and more, so here's hoping. Oh and I've signed my lady up as a full member and she's loving it!

I'd think it has more to do with being pretty woeful during the 70's and early 80's.

That's a whole generation of supporters.

Richmond have been woeful for the best part of 25 years but the tiger still roars

I'd think it has more to do with being pretty woeful during the 70's and early 80's.

That's a whole generation of supporters.

Yeah, it's because we were sh!t for 23 years.

But you can still have a successful club with 200 000 supporters. I mean half of them would go to the footy over 2 or 3 years and the rest...I got no idea what the rest do but every club has about 100 000 'active' fans over the same period - people that pay to watch games or buy memberships or regularly watch on TV.

The amount of supporters we have is the least of my concerns at the moment, it's energizing the ones we have that is paramount.

4. Finally, as our beloved Demon lay battered and bruised on the floor those in charge of our club tried to merge it with Hawthorn. We voted YES to this, maybe not everyone but as a club we voted to end our club, we voted to become the The Dorks. F___k me, that night at Dallas Brooks Hall was the possibly the final nail in the coffin for this club.

I was there that night, and to this day it's my saddest memory of supporting Melbourne. I'll never forget the abuse and unbridled hatred directed at heros of the club like Tiger and Sean White. The amount of abuse they received for doing what they thought to be the right thing was totally unacceptable.

A part of the club died that night.

Yeah, it's because we were sh!t for 23 years.

But you can still have a successful club with 200 000 supporters. I mean half of them would go to the footy over 2 or 3 years and the rest...I got no idea what the rest do but every club has about 100 000 'active' fans over the same period - people that pay to watch games or buy memberships or regularly watch on TV.

The amount of supporters we have is the least of my concerns at the moment, it's energizing the ones we have that is paramount.

True to a point, but i think you' ll find that alot of our supporters are old and we don't have enough kids coming up to replace them.

I'm all for energising the current supporters but you might need a defribulator (I think this is the correct spelling) to do this.

I think we have the potential to gain a lot of new Melbourne supporters out in the Casey region.

But your correct in saying that successful teams get a lot more members/supporters. Collingwood may not have won that many Premierships recently besides 1990 but they have been in a lot of grand-finals! Plus the Collingwood supporters breed like rabbits! :D

I prefer quality over quantity! ;)

But if the Melbourne Demons are to gain more supporters we need to have on-field success and start winning Premierships in the next few years. People don't barrack for clubs that continue to "win" the Wooden Spoon.

Unless it's St.Kilda. :P

We need to start Winning games and getting smart with Marketing Strategies. Gotta wipe that debt. Imagine the Interest Payments on $4.5 mill. No wonder we dont make any Gameday profits. I think our list will be ok and i think Dean Bailey is going to be a great coach. He certainly seems to keep his cool well. it would be very easy to start Berating Players at the After-match Press Conference this year, but he hasn't.

And you can see improvement in players.We just don't have the key position players at present.

We as Supporters Must kill that debt. I am going to ring the club tomorrow and see if any initiatives have been set up. I like the idea of a $1 or $2 direct debit. each week. Its a cup of coffee. I don't want AFL Social Security. We should be a power club.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and the proposed merger was to become the Hawthorn Demons, I sincerely doubt the Melbourne members would have passed it, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Hawthorn members did.