Getting rid of the $4.5 million dollar debt?

Supreme_Demon

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know I started at $161 and the market's been bid as high as $500 before some late selling saw it drop to $260 on profit taking.

We could play on the foundation year of our club and make the amount $18.58 per fortnight for 10 fortnights...that not too rich for most.

You'd be better off making it less, IMO - more people would jump on.

$150 for 150 more years - $12.50 p/month for a year.

All good ideas, perhaps though substituting putting money-in-for-a-win with a "swear box"...and we'll all get there a lot faster.

A swear box would see me broke, maybe a $5 donation for every time you yell out "kick the fu#$ing thing!"

Debt would be gone in a game :)

$150 for 150 more years - $12 p/month for a year.

Point taken, can't make it too steep or it becomes exclusive...and there are other vehicles for that sort of thing.

FYI I've put the idea forward to the club as the 1858 Initiative... $18.58 per month for 10 months...let them kick it around and see if they want to run with it.

$150 for 150 more years - $12 p/month for a year.

I like that..

makes you wonder why this wasnt in place at beginning of year..or even late last year.. its just too bloody obvious !!

I like that..

makes you wonder why this wasnt in place at beginning of year..or even late last year.. its just too bloody obvious !!

So was building the Maginot Line past Belgium...but noooooo, the germans won't come through there a second time :huh:

Point taken, can't make it too steep or it becomes exclusive...and there are other vehicles for that sort of thing.

FYI I've put the idea forward to the club as the 1858 Initiative... $18.58 per month for 10 months...let them kick it around and see if they want to run with it.

It's a great idea.

As a full-time student my finances are bordering on hobo-status, but even I can afford $18.58 a month.

Alternatively, 50% less pairs of shoes a year, and our club will be debt free in roughly 2 years :lol:

do the right thing Jaded...its crocs and thongs only and you will save our club!! :)

The problem with a double membership is the administration of it.. wasted money. Sort of defeats the purpose.. Something simple like the 161 or something has merit ( to me ) .

Lets wait and see what the club has in mind with new governorship.

Wasted money? Why?

I mentioned in another thread why can't we actually use the double memberships to boost our supporter base for the future as well... Actually get "new" supporters along, under privelidged or refugee's which I see as a win win for both parties. Boosts our crowd numbers to the AFL and might go someway helping people in need to have somethings to look forward to. Although no one really looks forward to the colesium to support the gladiators vs the lions and elephants each week...

Its a waste of time and money to administer..thats all..not the money.. All the praraphanalia that goes with a membership is a waste. The club needs money..not more work :)

Wasted money? Why?

I mentioned in another thread why can't we actually use the double memberships to boost our supporter base for the future as well... Actually get "new" supporters along, under privelidged or refugee's which I see as a win win for both parties. Boosts our crowd numbers to the AFL and might go someway helping people in need to have somethings to look forward to. Although no one really looks forward to the colesium to support the gladiators vs the lions and elephants each week...

Great ideas! I just heard that a prep to yr 12 school are going to open in melbourne city in 2009. Perhaps we could build a relationship there as the Club of the city?

Its a waste of time and money to administer..thats all..not the money.. All the praraphanalia that goes with a membership is a waste. The club needs money..not more work :)

I think the point is that if you buy a second membership and give that to someone else, it can boost attendance to games and is an attempt to get more people into footy, building our supporter base.

Talking of 'praraphanalia' (:P) I'd like a tickbox on the membership form where I can opt-out of the crappy pen etc.

Great ideas! I just heard that a prep to yr 12 school are going to open in melbourne city in 2009. Perhaps we could build a relationship there as the Club of the city?

Sounds good. Wouldn't need to be expensive - send the players down for some clinics, maybe do something for their fete, raffle off some merchandise, etc.

Perhaps we could also look at doing something with Melb Uni, a la WB's Vic Uni deal. I think we were looking to get the Chinese students interested (we offer a membership themed along those lines), and I'm sure a few are at Melb. Footy is a good 'in' for building links/a common talking point for newcomers.

If more memberships equals more work and therefore are detrimental to the club, i suppose we should stop the membership drive

your missing the point.. a new member is different.. ..but why double the work for one ?? We are a club of limited resources..so leave them for genuine memerships.. Donations..such as of the type mentioned here arent so much a drain on them ( resources )

understand ??

your missing the point.. a new member is different.. ..but why double the work for one ?? We are a club of limited resources..so leave them for genuine memerships.. Donations..such as of the type mentioned here arent so much a drain on them ( resources )

understand ??

I'm not sure it's that simple.

You'd have to process the donation too, so you'd have to judge the extra cost of a membership - in admin and related goodies - versus the extra benefit of adding to your membership tally (in terms of sponsors, AFL, perceptions of large member base, etc).

There a many many ways it could be administered as well... one group of double memberships could be used to take school kids to games, another set we could use to take some of the kids at Jimmy's Reach program, another set to refugees another set to underprivileged, another set to disabled... The options are there, I guess the question is can you actually do that with a membership? Allow someone else to use it for a game if you're not going? I know with AFL memberships you can't but everyone does it....

The 150 club, $150 donation is a really good one too.

How do we then pool these ideas and get them to the club? Is there any kind of club to members committee currently set up? I see some fantastic ideas, like some of these and the away strip on here, 'ology and big footy but is anyone actually listening or doing anything or is it a bunch or going nowhere rhetoric?

We could play on the foundation year of our club and make the amount $18.58 per fortnight for 10 fortnights...that not too rich for most.

I like this idea. I think it has obvious resonance. Also, I like the Volvo idea (not that it's my ideal car or anything lol), 10,000 tickets at $500 a pop.

This is a really good thread and I seriously suggest some of these ideas are put to Stynes. You said u did so with this one 'It's_A_Nightmare', good work.

I'd personally be happy to participate in some of them.

I'm not sure it's that simple.

You'd have to process the donation too, so you'd have to judge the extra cost of a membership - in admin and related goodies - versus the extra benefit of adding to your membership tally (in terms of sponsors, AFL, perceptions of large member base, etc).

if a donation is done as either a once off..or a direct debit setup, then an admin type is going to only really expend "so many minutes;" doint that.. With membership..theres teh silly ltter..teh stuuf they send etc etc. I conced we arent talking hours per person..but it al ladds up.

I see very little to be gained by false numbering our membership, its a perception with no real marketing clout.. Its , i feel, where inlays a danger for say Nth Melbourne. A false reality will come back to bite you.

From Cards13's post "There a many many ways it could be administered as well... one group of double memberships could be used to take school kids to games, another set we could use to take some of the kids at Jimmy's Reach program, another set to refugees another set to underprivileged, another set to disabled."

Cards13 - this is an absolutely brilliant idea that should be presented to Jimmy and the board.

Benefits:

- shows MFC as good corporate citizen

- leverages off Jimmy's great standing within the community

- provides MFC with $$$

- provides the member with a feeling they are helping out someone less fortunate

- expands the membership/supporter base in the long term

From Cards13's post "There a many many ways it could be administered as well... one group of double memberships could be used to take school kids to games, another set we could use to take some of the kids at Jimmy's Reach program, another set to refugees another set to underprivileged, another set to disabled."

Cards13 - this is an absolutely brilliant idea that should be presented to Jimmy and the board.

Benefits:

- shows MFC as good corporate citizen

- leverages off Jimmy's great standing within the community

- provides MFC with $$$

- provides the member with a feeling they are helping out someone less fortunate

- expands the membership/supporter base in the long term

Cheers but still not sure it will fly.. Some feasibility work would need to be done on all of the good ideas generated (finally on here.... ;) )

Like I said is this all [censored] talk or are we actually going to put something together showing all of the FEASIBLE ideas gathered from here, 'ology and Bigfooty? I'm living in London at the minute but would love to try and be involved in development of something with these....

Also the idea of a "working group" with members of these sites going forward potentially meeting members of the club twice/three times a year? I think Melb might need to engage members and supporters more than other clubs.. If our club can been seen as wanting ideas and input from the rank and file more than other clubs we might be able to break down some of the "downhill" skiing profile we have....

Overall lets actually do SOMETHING WITH THIS PASSION AND IDEA GENERATION, not just [censored] in our own pockets.....

Guest DemonSG

If the club can show me the family brick we bought years ago and let me know where it is, I might make a contribution but until then they can shove my donations. Not even invited into the club rooms, no wonder this club is on it's knees. Is this just another administration wanting the long hard suffering supporters to bail it out or are THEY going to make a contribution??? I wait to see

If the club can show me the family brick we bought years ago and let me know where it is, I might make a contribution but until then they can shove my donations. Not even invited into the club rooms, no wonder this club is on it's knees. Is this just another administration wanting the long hard suffering supporters to bail it out or are THEY going to make a contribution??? I wait to see

Have you asked the club? Have you moved address since you bought it? Was it supposed to be sent in the mail to you?

I think we have a massive hang over affect from our club having some decent ideas but seemingly poor delivery. At the same time what do you deserve from the club? I'm not having a dig at you personally, I'm just wondering what we "deserve" to recieve from the club besides winning flags and keeping the club afloat (tow things the club has been miserable at).

And so far it seems we are just pissing in each others pcokets about ideas. If anyone wants to actually try and do something then please let me know and we can see if we can actually put some solid ideas with solid facts and figures....

Well, we've had the Demonology/Demonland 150 Club syndicate going for a while.

The reaction from Demonland posters has been disappointing at best, except probably for the Michael Newton 'Play So He Can Play' pledge, where we got a decent amount.

The syndicate is still after people's help, so feel free to donate!