Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

A.B. de Villiers is actually Jonty Rhodes mark 2.

Gambir dropped at slip, A.B. runs to gather the ball from slip, slides turns and throws down the stump - Dravid out at the striker's end.

Kallis is outrageous. 380 runs in the series - including being run out at the non-strikers end and getting a ripper from Sreesanth - with one inning to play!

Interesting watching the Indian openers batting in South Africa. Sehwag out to an awful shot and Gambhir was dropped off an equally bad shot. With the ball moving around a bit they have been unable to leave the ball.

Kallis was unbelievable. Especially yesterday when the pitch was really doing a lot. He and Amla turned the game with their partnership, before Amla threw it away. I am often surprised when Kallis isn't mentioned in the same breath as Tendulkar, Ponting and Lara. Nowhere near as exciting to watch him bat, but he is of the utmost quality.

A.B. de Villiers is actually Jonty Rhodes mark 2.

Gambir dropped at slip, A.B. runs to gather the ball from slip, slides turns and throws down the stump - Dravid out at the striker's end.

Kallis is outrageous. 380 runs in the series - including being run out at the non-strikers end and getting a ripper from Sreesanth - with one inning to play!

I heard Jonty Rhodes interviewed on the wireless the other night, Excellent Bloke and what an all round Champion. I had no idea he was also a top line Hockey player aswell, no wonder his reflexes were always Cat like.

Interesting watching the Indian openers batting in South Africa. Sehwag out to an awful shot and Gambhir was dropped off an equally bad shot. With the ball moving around a bit they have been unable to leave the ball.

Kallis was unbelievable. Especially yesterday when the pitch was really doing a lot. He and Amla turned the game with their partnership, before Amla threw it away. I am often surprised when Kallis isn't mentioned in the same breath as Tendulkar, Ponting and Lara. Nowhere near as exciting to watch him bat, but he is of the utmost quality.

Saw the Indian openers facing Steyn & Morkel and equally interested. Particularly Sehwag. Sehwag doesn't have much footwork at all to someone like Steyn. Appearing awfully flaky. The South African's planned accordingly with Smith at short cover/midoff in the catching position. Sehwag was out in the previous Test caught behind in slip driving on the up against the swinging deliveries of Steyn (outswing), and fell again driving on the up this time holding out to Smith with four slips in place and stuck on the crease. Sehwag is awfully flighty against good opposition and gets made to look second rate, despite a good Test record. The Test series in South Africa supports this. Hit & miss.

Kallis is superb. I posted recently (it may be in the Best International XI thread) a comparison between Ponting-Tendulkar-Kallis their averages as well as their contributions held since turning 34. Kallis is held in high regard here at Demonland.

Michael Clarke gets a shocking run of it from the punters on the sidelines. Why do people not want him as captain?

Remember this is someone who, over his career, averages 48 with the bat.

Now averages 46 with the bat. Less than 16 for this Ashes series.

Not sure why only 15% out of 3000 + *Daily Telegraph readers (*note: A Sydney paper) want him as Australian captain. But it might have something to do with his love for body art and modelling underwear as well as his poor form with the bat.

Looks a very nervous player out in the middle, very fragile.

Clarke I would suggest is in need of an injection of confidence as well as a tough fought out innings - an almost S.Waugh like gritty innings (game saving) - that the 'punters' might find attractive. Then they might turn around.

His bat must do the talking. Not at One Day or Twenty/20. But Test match cricket.

*Usman's innings today I thought was very good. Beautiful straight bat. Defended well, very watchful. Brilliant debut innings full of poise, patience and a good eye. Softest hands I've seen since..... reminded me much of David Gower. Made 37 but occupied the crease and faced over 90 balls in a good little partnership with Watson. Just what Australian cicket needs and a good replacement for Ponting at no.3 IMO.

His bat must do the talking. Not at One Day or Twenty/20. But Test match cricket.

On that note, it certainly doesn't do the talking in T20 IMO. For a guy who had a fair bit of flair in his batting early on, his strike rate can be awfully low.

*Usman's innings today I thought was very good. Beautiful straight bat. Defended well, very watchful. Brilliant debut innings full of poise, patience and a good eye. Softest hands I've seen since..... reminded me much of David Gower. Made 37 but occupied the crease and faced over 90 balls in a good little partnership with Watson. JUst what Australian cicket needs and a good replacement for Ponting at 3 IMO.

The contrast between the batting style of him and the other rookies, Hughes and Smith, is stark.

The Poms sent there 4 Pace Bowlers to the Institute of Excellence in Brisbane before the first test. After already spending time in Germany to train. It is much more than just a spin bowler.

Kudos to Andy Flower i say. He is a tough nut who stood up to Robert Magabe, so i have immense respect.

They have four talented quicks lead by Anderson. They are supported by a capable spin bowler and thye have put in place better planning then in past tours.

Andy Flower did not stand up to Mugabe. He realised that life in Zimbabwe was on the slide, made a public stand against the regime and never returned to the impoverished country. Cant blame him for that.

Cricket Australia has too many board members for a start, time to lean it down and get Communications sorted between between players coaches & the board.

At present it's not happening enough (Communication was the first problem Jimmy addressed at Melbourne-its paramount to a good business)

Why does the nunmber of board members impact adversely on the potential issues of communication? They dont. They are seperate issues and its another case of grasp at unconnected matters trying to make a point.

I am trying to be positive here, changes need to happen-They may already have started, but so far it is not enough.

A pleasant change....

I saw the game at the 'G last night, many people there were saying they care far more for the Bushrangers than the Aussie X1

My opinion is the "Golden Contracts" are not the most healthy idea, i wouldn't have them.

Well theres a ground breaking straw poll. Wow. Are they the same people that avoid the Shield matches or dress up as seagulls to attend?

And a good point about the contracts....Make'em all eat bread and water. That will toughen them.

Open up opportunities to all who play State Cricket.

Hughes, Khawaja, Beer, Doherty, Smith, Harris etc.

Any player performing conssitenly at Shield level that is demanding selection?

Well AoB he has put up another fine display today 4, yes FOUR!

Summer average is now 18 and still headed south.

Well done. Missed the point AoB was making.

If you look at his long term average the big scores are against the weaker test nations eg NZ.

The guy is a good shield player who is not up to it against the better test sides.

Should not be in the test side let alone be the captain after his performances this summer.

In the Ashes 2009, Clarke made 448 at 64 with 2 centuries.

He averages over 50 against South Africa and his long term average against England is 46.

Aob is right. A proven class player who is in a form slump. He needs to turn it around though and quick. Not sure about being Captain.

On that note, it certainly doesn't do the talking in T20 IMO. For a guy who had a fair bit of flair in his batting early on, his strike rate can be awfully low.

Whole heartedly agree. I was too focussed on Test Match cricket to make note of that.

He now is level with Ponting on 39 centuries. And he takes wickets, which none of the others do. Surely he's at least as good as Punter now.

Saw the Indian openers facing Steyn & Morkel and equally interested. Particularly Sehwag. Sehwag doesn't have much footwork at all to someone like Steyn. Appearing awfully flaky. The South African's planned accordingly with Smith at short cover/midoff in the catching position. Sehwag was out in the previous Test caught behind in slip driving on the up against the swinging deliveries of Steyn (outswing), and fell again driving on the up this time holding out to Smith with four slips in place and stuck on the crease. Sehwag is awfully flighty against good opposition and gets made to look second rate, despite a good Test record. The Test series in South Africa supports this. Hit & miss.

Sehwag has never had footwork. Most of the time he flays the good-length stuff early and the bowlers sh!t their pants and end up feeding him full stuff. He's a superb striker of the ball and when he gets going nothing is a good ball but early in his innings a level-headed bowler can pick him up for nothing if the field's right.

The contrast between the batting style of him and the other rookies, Hughes and Smith, is stark.

Smith's technique needs a lot of work. He plays like it's a ODI. Open stance when driving, doesn't have a sound defence, chases the moving ball to try to put some bat on it. He's not a Test player.

The argument that we need to stick with him because he's our future misses the point that he isn't good enough and hasn't shown anything to suggest he will ever be good enough for Test cricket. We definitely need to look to youth but the youth that get selected need to show something at state level. Like Khawaja. And eventually, Maddinson, Starc, Pattinson, Hazelwood and Copeland.

Smith isn't good enough. If he can't bat in the top 6 he needs to be out number 1 spinner. Since he's not that either, he shouldn't be there. Picking someone to bat at 7 and bowl as the second spinner isn't smart.

They have four talented quicks lead by Anderson. They are supported by a capable spin bowler and thye have put in place better planning then in past tours.

Andy Flower did not stand up to Mugabe. He realised that life in Zimbabwe was on the slide, made a public stand against the regime and never returned to the impoverished country. Cant blame him for that.

Why does the nunmber of board members impact adversely on the potential issues of communication? They dont. They are seperate issues and its another case of grasp at unconnected matters trying to make a point.

A pleasant change....

Well theres a ground breaking straw poll. Wow. Are they the same people that avoid the Shield matches or dress up as seagulls to attend?

And a good point about the contracts....Make'em all eat bread and water. That will toughen them.

Hughes, Khawaja, Beer, Doherty, Smith, Harris etc.

Any player performing conssitenly at Shield level that is demanding selection?

How nice to have you back RR. Happy 2011 to you to. Let us continue to always disagree shall we.

He now is level with Ponting on 39 centuries. And he takes wickets, which none of the others do. Surely he's at least as good as Punter now.

Kallis is durable, very durable. It's amazing a guy of his bulk and size has played at the peak for so long. Hitting the crease bowling time after time I would have thought may cause an injury or three. But no, he has continued on his merry way. Magnificent cricketer and competitor.

How nice to have you back RR. Happy 2011 to you to. Let us continue to always disagree shall we.

I dont think we do disagree WYL. I, like others are trying to understand the substance of your point of view. I cant see there's much to disagree with. Happy New Year. B)

Kallis is durable, very durable. It's amazing a guy of his bulk and size has played at the peak for so long. Hitting the crease bowling time after time I would have thought may cause an injury or three. But no, he has continued on his merry way. Magnificent cricketer and competitor.

And I have him in my Best International XI. B)

Not sure.

He's 36 so will probably retire soon and has scored just over half as many runs as wickets he's taken. Would have tossed him up, would rather have Sreesanth though.

From cricinfo:

Reiterating a statistical speciality that won't be true for long - At the moment, Tendulkar and Kallis have the EXACT same Test average - 56.91.

From cricinfo:

Reiterating a statistical speciality that won't be true for long - At the moment, Tendulkar and Kallis have the EXACT same Test average - 56.91.

Tendulkar has surely passed that now, 136* at Tea in Cape Town. Class personified.

Being treated to an absolute Cricket feast in this game. Steyn starring, Kallis, Laxman, Tendulkar starring, Harbhajan starring. Great clash 1 v 2. Prior to the series I and others tipped South Africa at home, I get the feeling India may edge ahead here with Tendulkar at the helm. The pitch has a few demons creeping in and any lead (trailing by ~46 at the moment) will be very handy.

Classic Test in South Africa atm. RSA were on top at 6/247 but Harbhajan and Tendulkar are evening the game up nicely.

Tendulkar bowled by Morkel for 146. Trail by ~20 runs. Nothing in it. titan - your pick btw.

Amazing test.

India lead by 2 on first innings, S.A. 2-52 in their second (though the second wicket was the nightwatchman). I had Kallis for most 1st innings runs, Tendulkar for most first innings runs and Steyn for most wickets (woo).

Hopefully there will be a result!

Tendulkar has surely passed that now, 136* at Tea in Cape Town. Class personified.

Ah, but you forget that getting out lowers Tendulkar's average.

It's now Kallis 56.91 and Tendulkar 56.89

The pitch has a few demons creeping in and any lead (trailing by ~46 at the moment) will be very handy.

Is 2 a handy lead? B) :o:):huh::lol::rolleyes:;)