• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

I ROBOT - Jimmy Stynes - It's official!

Demonland

I ROBOT by Whispering Jack

Thirty years ago I was part of a group of Demon supporters who met with the then club chairman John Mitchell to discuss our concerns about the direction of the Melbourne Football Club which was in dire straits and heading towards a wooden spoon after a decade of dismal on field results. We were well received, the discussion was pleasant and, in the end, not much came of the meeting.

Not that we had much to do with it, but I'd like to believe that at least a small seed for change at the club was planted at the time. Some of our group even had stints on the club Board in the ensuing years and others had a direct involvement in some capacity from time to time. This period saw the club breaking away from the Melbourne Cricket Club and the return of club icon Ron Barassi as a coach coming in with a five year plan to restore us to our former greatness. We saw the implementation of the Irish experiment that gave us a Brownlow Medallist in Jimmy Stynes and another great in Sean Wight and the development of our junior ranks so that in the early years of John Northey's coaching stint, the Demons eventually made the finals again after more than two decades in the wilderness.

The best laid plans don't always work out. We also had Sir Billy Snedden, who not long before had been a heartbeat away from the highest office in the country, presiding over the club. The troubles continued and Sir Billy prevailed for a while before going on to other things.

The club prospered for a while without achieving the ultimate honour of a premiership but soon it seemed that it was going nowhere fast. Then some bright sparks came up with the idea of a merger with the Hawks, so the troubles continued.

The official figures tell us that the members voted the club out of existence on a wild and woolly September night in 1996 but the Hawthorn membership wouldn't allow their club to die. An unlikely white knight came along to save the Melbourne Football Club and, after a while, the troubles continued.

Joseph Gutnick had come on to the scene and put stacks of his own money into the club but others on the Board had a different vision. Caesar was an honourable man but, when the moment was right, Brutus wielded the sharpest of knives. Or was it perhaps that Caesar fell on his sword?

It didn't matter in the end because the members voted in their thousands on a summer night in December 2001 with the largest number of votes cast in any football club election in the history of the game. Not all of us were happy with the outcome but the membership, in its wisdom, had elected the next saviour. And the troubles continued.

The next saviour departed almost two years to the day later via the back door. By that time the club had a massive debt and the rump of the Board which presided over the AGM that year hardly resembled a team and seemed to be without any vision for the future - at least on that night.

The pieces were picked up by Paul Gardner and things were going along reasonably until the on field team, wracked by injuries, hit a road block at the start of 2007 and performed well below expectations. The turnover of staff both football and non-football related was high, the money stopped rolling in, storm clouds threatened and the troubles continued.

The excitement of the brilliant celebration of the club's 150th anniversary was still reverberating in my head when I was confronted by the early edition of the Sunday Sun and its front page article setting out Jimmy Stynes' vision of the future for the Melbourne Football Club. It was lousy timing but that's the modern media for you.

The revelations that Stynes had a new board in place ready to take out the existing board, of Paul Gardner's resignation and of the bloodless coup that was about to take place leaves one with a feeling that we as members have very little say in the direction of our club. The only ones who seemingly had any influence on the outcome on behalf of thousands of other members were three men - vice President John Phillips and directors Michael Coglin and Anthony Starkins who took a principled stand and insisted on proper disclosure and a viable plan for the future from those about to assume power at the club. If the messages in today's media are correct then it seems that their concerns have been satisfied. I guess that we'll know in a few hours.

Seven years ago, the members voted to change the direction of the club. Today, we are mere robots who don't have the privilege or the power to effect that change or to even to decide whether or not it's necessary. We no longer have a say in the future of the club but we will go along with Jimmy Stynes because of our hope, our loyalty and the knowledge of the sacrifices he personally has made for the club in the past. We're pinning a lot of faith in one small group of people and I just hope that they understand that it is we, the now disenfranchised robots, who give what is, in the main, our unconditional support for the club, who buy the membership tickets, who constantly support and defend it and, above all, who want it to be free of trouble and to succeed.

Well said. Unfortunately with sponsors to woo and rifts to heal this club (No doubt with some pressure from the AFL) couldn't afford to have anything other than a seemless handover. The members have been left out of the process but thankfully Stynes seems to have put together some good people, so tonight we'll hear his plan and tommorow we'll load up on Demon Love and see if we can't all help to get this club rolling again. I feel much more at ease with this group than the last 3 administrations. To some extent Gardner has stabilised a club left reeling after the yes vote on merger night (Jeez that hurt). And hopefully after the weekends fantastic celebrations the club can really unite. I'm really confident it can. It no longer has a choice.

I am finally starting to get a positive feeling about our club. That Jimmy was brought to tears about taking on this gig and how much MFC means to him is just awesome. With word of some serious clout and possible financial backing coming on board with him(according to another current thread)maybe our 150th year will have some meaning afterall. The year we turned the corner and build to become the force we once were! Good on ya Jimma! Can`t wait for footy show and see what Gazza has got to say!

Guest Tempy

Congratulations to Jim and his team! Positive step forward!

Check out this Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14469369658 was started by a mate of mine (Essendon Supporter) who thought we might be able to lend a hand!

The group is starting to gather pace now so hopefully we can get to the 500,000 members and kick in a bit to help out the Club!!

Well cannot wait to see the grand plan from the new board.

Not another 'plan'. We've had people moaning for 3 months about not being able to see Bailey's gamePLAN working. I've had enough of these bloody plans.

How about a set of targets to be achieved over the next 2-3 years. We already have some idea what they are. Lets see if Jimmy can reach them.

I'm not expecting revolutionary. I just want to see some progress that is tantamount to getting results.

Not another 'plan'. We've had people moaning for 3 months about not being able to see Bailey's gamePLAN working. I've had enough of these bloody plans.

you're kidding right? we've improved out of sight since round one... have shown when it works we can match it with the better sides in the comp... it isn't about winning a few games this year, it's about winning a flag!

and good to hear jimmy got in... obviously impressed the remaining board with his intentions going forward, as they said they wouldn't make way if they weren't satisfied with what he was bringing to the table... they obviously were satisfied...

How about a set of targets to be achieved over the next 2-3 years. We already have some idea what they are. Lets see if Jimmy can reach them.

I'm not expecting revolutionary. I just want to see some progress that is tantamount to getting results.

I agree, we need targets and I think we need a lot of 'outside the box' thinking to gain new members and gain more sponsors. I still think Paul McNamee could bring home the bacon here.

I like his idea of creating themes for each game, or most games, the trumpeter is the best thing to visualise. I would love opposition supporters to come to the 'G and see members singing along to the trumpeter. I hate England in the cricket but the balmy army at the 'G created a fantastic atmosphere.

If we give the opposition some showmanship, they have something to bounce off - we need to be hated again!! like Carlton keep saying.

people will bring their families with such an atmosphere. Even Joffa and the jacket adds something. I would like to see McNamee ramp this side up.

you're kidding right? we've improved out of sight since round one... have shown when it works we can match it with the better sides in the comp... it isn't about winning a few games this year, it's about winning a flag!

I think if you carefully read what I wrote you'll see I'm defending Bailey's right to prove himself. I'm having a rip at those who wanted to see it NOW NOW NOW in Round 1.

I think if you carefully read what I wrote you'll see I'm defending Bailey's right to prove himself. I'm having a rip at those who wanted to see it NOW NOW NOW in Round 1.

apologies... i just read the first line and the last of that first paragraph...

and jim's press confrence was great, the short snippet they showed of it... shows just how much he loves the club...

also i think the title is slightly incorrect... he is the chairman is he not? he is on the board now, and is chairman of that board... so he is not "chairman elect" but the chairman?

Maybe he prefers 'President'

What is it?

The title is an amalgamtion of 2 titles so take little notice of that.

i thought Jim was excellent on the footy show and for the first time in ages we seem to have someone who is popular and knows how to handle himself in the media.

I think if someone is that passionate about Melbourne its good for the club and love the fact he mentioned people have put money on the table provided he is the man in the top position.

I am intrigued to see who and what that would be.

Congratulations to Jim and his team! Positive step forward!

Check out this Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14469369658 was started by a mate of mine (Essendon Supporter) who thought we might be able to lend a hand!

The group is starting to gather pace now so hopefully we can get to the 500,000 members and kick in a bit to help out the Club!!

The idea of a $2.00 dolar donation is great however there is aslo a anothor way we can all donate money to the club through demonlotto cost same amount but is weekly and you get to play for cash and club goodies

The club earns around $1.40 or so there is another solution to be in a win win situation for all

Imagine what may be if we all joined and played weekly.

Surely we can all sacrifice something to part $2.00 each week

The idea of a $2.00 dolar donation is great however there is aslo a anothor way we can all donate money to the club through demonlotto cost same amount but is weekly and you get to play for cash and club goodies

The club earns around $1.40 or so there is another solution to be in a win win situation for all

Imagine what may be if we all joined and played weekly.

It'd be better to just donate the $2, but obviously the 'Demonlotto' makes it slightly more attractive than a donation from the 'customer' perspective.