Allen Jakovich left out of our Greatest 150?

Yze_Magic

I just read on another board that the great Allen jakovich was not included in final list of 150 greatest players of the MFC.

An absolute disgrace if true.

- The fastest player in league history to get 100 career goals

- booted 70+ goals in his first season

- Kicked 8 goals in his first ever Final

- booted 11.8 against Kangas in 1991 at the G (not sure of this, but its probably the best haul by a Demon since Fred Fanning was around)

- averaged more then 4 goals per game as a Demon

- easily the most exciting player I have seen in the Red and Blue

If he is not named in the best 150, it is a joke. And if squibs like Cameron Bruce are named ahead of him, I may just hunt down the selectors.

I agree whole-heartedly about it being a joke if Jakovich has been left out... but your continual bagging of Cameron Bruce is a bit old.

Did he not sign an autograph for you to sell on eBay or some other petty reason? I'm sure the reason you dislike him is not as petty as your continual whining about him. Grow up a bit.

I just read on another board that the great Allen jakovich was not included in final list of 150 greatest players of the MFC.

An absolute disgrace if true.

- The fastest player in league history to get 100 career goals

- booted 70+ goals in his first season

- Kicked 8 goals in his first ever Final

- booted 11.8 against Kangas in 1991 at the G (not sure of this, but its probably the best haul by a Demon since Fred Fanning was around)

- averaged more then 4 goals per game as a Demon

- easily the most exciting player I have seen in the Red and Blue

If he is not named in the best 150, it is a joke. And if squibs like Cameron Bruce are named ahead of him, I may just hunt down the selectors.

Your argument for Jakovich is excellent. Then you ruin it with the Bruce slag off. :angry:

I agree whole-heartedly about it being a joke if Jakovich has been left out... but your continual bagging of Cameron Bruce is a bit old.

Did he not sign an autograph for you to sell on eBay or some other petty reason? I'm sure the reason you dislike him is not as petty as your continual whining about him. Grow up a bit.

I was using him as an example of how bad the 150 list will be if Jaka is left off, and someone like Bruce is in there.

How many games did he play for the Melbourne FC? No-one doubts his performances but I wonder about his longevity. By the same token maybe you expect Jacko in the top 150 also (and what about Jeff Farmer). I am not surprised he has been left out. I would also be surprised if Bruce is in as he has not won a b&f. On saying that I think Bruce has been a better player than Jackavich but not by much. I have no doubt that the top 150 players will all deserve their spots. The biggest question for me is how many players in the top 50 will come from my era (80's onwards). I doubt there will be that many. Some certainties include: Lyon, Neitz, Flower, Viney and Stynes. Other than that I am struggling.

Which would you prefer from these?

J McDonald vs Woewodin

Steve Smith vs Danny Hughes

Jackavich vs Mark Jackson

Robertson vs Gerard Healy

Bruce vs Greg Healy

Others to consider: Wilson, Stretch (doubt it but I loved watching him), White, Wight and Greg Healy

I think there is some sort of minimum games requirement or something like that. And that surely would be the only reason he would not be included. Granted he didnt do it for long, but when he was playing, he was unreal. In my time (90's onward) he would definitely be in the top 5 best players I have seen play for the MFC, but I would imagine there would be a large bulk of those named will come from the premiership teams from way back.

The only certainties from my time would be Neita, Lyon and Stynes off the top of my head.

another classic post from Einstein Yze Magic!

Jacko didnt even play 50 games for the club!! how can he possibly be in our best 150 when he has never won a premiership or play 50 games....stupid post

He did more in those 50 games than anyone on our current list has done over their whole career.

I was using him as an example of how bad the 150 list will be if Jaka is left off, and someone like Bruce is in there.

Sorry to have to tell you YM, but Bruce WILL be in the top 150 and deservedly so. Incidently, does anyone on this forum happen to know who the selectors are for our top 150?

Sorry to have to tell you YM, but Bruce WILL be in the top 150 and deservedly so. Incidently, does anyone on this forum happen to know who the selectors are for our top 150?

Whilst I disagree with Y_M's comments about other players who might or might not make the 150, I would be surprised if Jakovich missed out unless the criteria for selection precluded it. So unless we're aware of the basis of selection for the list of 150 it's premature to whinge about who did and who did not make it.

I'm priviledged to be going to the night and await the naming of the 150 with great anticipation. Hopefully, the evening will be a success both as an event and financially, that it marks the turnaround from the past year and a half of disappointments and that we're well on the way to producing the next 50 heroes of the MFC.

Jacko didnt even play 50 games for the club!! how can he possibly be in our best 150 when he has never won a premiership or play 50 games....stupid post

You are a simpleton.

I actually feel sorry for you.

Acxtually he played 47 games for Melbourne, and booted 201 goals, 159 behinds.

Thats an averager of over 4 goals per game, and 7.7 scoring shots per game, which is a mighty effort. And the bloke was only 187 cm, playing at FF.

But lets put plodders like Bruce, the Febeys, Steven Stretch etcc.. into out best 150, and leave Jaka out.

Disgraceful.

Career goals per game - MFC

Allen Jakovich - 4.1

Fred Fanning - 3.9

Norm Smith - 2.6

David Neitz - 2.1

Gary Lyon - 1.9

I loved what he brought to the Club in his time there but your are absolutely correct - 47 games does not in any way qualify for greatness over the journey of 150 years

While I agree Jakovich was the most freakish footballer I've seen play for us over my lifetime, his brilliance only lasted 3 years. Thus over there respective careers, I'd choose Lyon or others as the best I've seen.

And to compare those 5 goalkicking greats, you've got to look at the big picture, not just average goals per game as a standalone figure. If you do that, then there'd be an argument to say Darrren Cuthbertson was our best ever player after his first 2 league games, and should be in the Top 150.

Norm Smith: 210 games, 546 goals

Garry Lyon: 223 games, 423 goals

David Neitz: 306 games, 631 goals

Fred Fanning: 104 games, 411 goals

Allen Jakovich: 47 games, 201 goals

If he'd played 200 games, and kept that rate up, then he'd be a shoe-in to be in our top 150, but sadly Jaka's brilliance was a mere fleeting one, and thus doesnt deserve a slot in the Top 150 of all time

Acxtually he played 47 games for Melbourne, and booted 201 goals, 159 behinds.

Thats an averager of over 4 goals per game, and 7.7 scoring shots per game, which is a mighty effort. And the bloke was only 187 cm, playing at FF.

But lets put plodders like Bruce, the Febeys, Steven Stretch etcc.. into out best 150, and leave Jaka out.

Disgraceful.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You missed me YM. Bob McKenzie averaged 2.0 from a half forward flank! (125 games).

Yes, and a few others who had higher goal averages than Lyon eg Darren Bennett, George Margatich

I just used a list of some doyens of the club.