MCC

Timmuns

Ok...

I know this isn't exactly specific to the Melbourne Demons...

BUT!

I think the majority of MCC members are a disgrace. (I apologise to those who actually DO turn up to events)

I know so many MCC members that go to maybe 3 or 4 things at the MCG each year...

Let me say this,

in 2006 I would have attended

- probably 7 Melbourne home games at the 'g + 2 or 3 away (also at the 'g)

- 4 or 5 Victoria Bushrangers matches (Twenty20 + One Day Domestic + a few days at the Pura Cup)

- all 3 ODI's of Australia's matches

- 3 days of the Boxing Day Test (including Warney's 700th wicket day)

- 2 events of the commonwealth games.

add that up... that's atleast 20 events at the MCG that I went to. Last year was not as many but still atleast 10 or 11 times.

And yet I have to wait a good 15 YEARS to get a membership - a membership in which thousands of people who are part of the 'club' don't even use properly!

That is why I think the MCC membership should be loyalty based - that is, those who do not attend a certain number of events each year should lose it and their membership be offered to someone who WILL use it!

Once again I apologise to those MCC members here that do get value for their money, but I think it is unfair.

Thoughts anyone?

Ok...

BUT!

I think the majority of MCC members are a disgrace. (I apologise to those who actually DO turn up to events)

I know so many MCC members that go to maybe 3 or 4 things at the MCG each year...

Let me say this,

in 2006 I would have attended

- probably 7 Melbourne home games at the 'g + 2 or 3 away (also at the 'g)

- 4 or 5 Victoria Bushrangers matches (Twenty20 + One Day Domestic + a few days at the Pura Cup)

- all 3 ODI's of Australia's matches

- 3 days of the Boxing Day Test (including Warney's 700th wicket day)

- 2 events of the commonwealth games.

add that up... that's atleast 20 events at the MCG that I went to. Last year was not as many but still atleast 10 or 11 times.

And yet I have to wait a good 15 YEARS to get a membership - a membership in which thousands of people who are part of the 'club' don't even use properly!

That is why I think the MCC membership should be loyalty based - that is, those who do not attend a certain number of events each year should lose it and their membership be offered to someone who WILL use it!

Once again I apologise to those MCC members here that do get value for their money, but I think it is unfair.

Thoughts anyone?

Good luck. Maybe membership should be tradeable, a la stock exchange.

Who cares. Bring on the boutique ground.

Dreaming...

The MCC membership is as much a sign of prestige for a lot of people as it is a ticket to the footy/cricket.

Many members are happy to pay their yearly membership to go to only the Grand Final and Boxing Day, and while the waiting list is so long the MCC will make the same money if people turn up or not, in fact probably more if they don't because they require less staff on game day.

yeah fair point... it just annoys me particularly on the days when an event should be a sellout, e.g. Boxing Day 2006 - Warney's 700th wicket. Probably cricket's greatest chance to crack 100,000 (or atleast the high 90s) and the MCC members blew it... all because of a little bit of rain.

I pay my $600 that gives me the right to choose what i go to watch and when. I don't like cricket that much so i don't go very much at all during summer. But when i was a student 25 years ago i went without food so as i could pay for the MCC Membership-so don't threaten my seat at the Grand Final or any other game. I was there in '88 and 2000 and i intend to see the Demons win a Flag from the Members Reserve.. QED

If your on the waiting list it's not like you cant get into the members and help out the club. At the Freo game people on the waiting list were able to gain entry without being a members guest. So it's not 15 years of doom and gloom, hell it was the best day that I have had all year :)

Its a good discussion but a few points

1. There are approx. 100,000 MCC members who fork out approx. $600 each to have right of access to a seat/entry to the Members Reserve. Its four times the basic AFL Club membership and while it gives access to a large number of games, not every one wants to go to every game.

2. There are approx. 20,000 seats in the MCC members reserve. There is not enough space if every MCC member decide to turn up and seek admission.

3. The subscriptions of the non attending members finance the facilities and services for members that do attend. Without them annual subscriptions would be potentially higher if only attending members subscribed and the dormant members did not.

4. Higher usage rates by existing MCC members could influence the MCC committee to slow down the intake of new members thereby extending waiting list time for aspirants.

5. Outside limited pre booking and subject to member rules no seats can be reserved. They go first come, first serve.

6. The lack of a reserved seat can often dissuade MCC members from attending at the last moment of events. If you have ever tried to chase down a couple of seats together in the MCC reserve when a big game is on you will know what I mean.

7. Many/most MCC members have also had to spend time on a waiting list and for many the waiting list was as long as 20 years.

8. The cost of membership has risen significantly over the years and for age 20 something new members the cost of membership entry is another financial challenge for them particularly if they dont intend to use it much. I wonder if that affects take up rates of new MCC memberships in recent years?

9. However, for the level of access to football and cricket over a 12 month period and quality of the facilities in the new MCC reserve I think the membership is good value. However every one makes there own assessment.

You only went to 7 home games and 3 away games and even less in the following years and you are talking about loyalty? Good one.

I only have a vague interest in cricket and am certainly not interested in watching a bunch of druggies make a big deal about 1/1000th of a second...

I pay my $600 MCC membership and my $150 MFC membership and I'll use either when I please. You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be at EVERY MFC home game without fail though, unlike your 'loyal' self.

I pay my $600 that gives me the right to choose what i go to watch and when. I don't like cricket that much so i don't go very much at all during summer. But when i was a student 25 years ago i went without food so as i could pay for the MCC Membership-so don't threaten my seat at the Grand Final or any other game. I was there in '88 and 2000 and i intend to see the Demons win a Flag from the Members Reserve.. QED

Thats nice. One question, are you a full member of the Melbourne Football Club, or a $40.00 dollar member??

The MCC is one of the most egalitarian clubs going around. You wait your turn, you pay your money and you get the best seats and facilities in the best sporting stadium in the world for as long as you maintain your subscription.

Rhino's eloquently described the advantages of having a large pool of active members above, so there's no need to repeat it. Part of the attraction of membership is the ability to pick and choose which events you want to go to. If you choose not to go to many, you still have to pay your $600. There's the rub and there's nothing unfair about it. In fact, it could hardly be fairer.

You only think it's unfair because you're impatient. If you still feel aggrieved and hard done by, you should have had yourself nominated for the waiting list sooner. If that sounds ridiculous, it's only a reflection of your initial assertion that MCC membership is, in some way, unfair.

And yes, I'm a full MFC/MCC member. This is my 10th year of taking up both memberships.

When you finally join the MCC, will you stump up your $750 each year to support both clubs?

The MCC is one of the most egalitarian clubs going around. You wait your turn, you pay your money and you get the best seats and facilities in the best sporting stadium in the world for as long as you maintain your subscription.

Quite right, you only need two know two members, one to nominate and one to second you.

Can't buy your way in either.

Famous story [urban legend or truth I don't know] about "the Goanna" ringing up the MCC demanding to become a member, the young lady at the MCC said that to become a member all you need to do is have one member nominate you and another member second you, and then you go onto the waiting list and about 18 years you will get to be a member of the club. "yeah well stuff that, do you know who you are talking to? I want to be a member now". The young lady, fully realising who she was talking replied in a sweet tone "oh,, you want to become a member very quickly sir! In that case may I suggest that you quickly find a member to nominate you and another to second you and then you will quickly go on to the waiting list and in about 18 years ago you will become a member".

You only went to 7 home games and 3 away games and even less in the following years and you are talking about loyalty? Good one.

I only have a vague interest in cricket and am certainly not interested in watching a bunch of druggies make a big deal about 1/1000th of a second...

I pay my $600 MCC membership and my $150 MFC membership and I'll use either when I please. You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be at EVERY MFC home game without fail though, unlike your 'loyal' self.

I'm not talking about loyalty so much to the Melbourne Football Club, that's not my argument, I'm talking about how much I use the MCG each year compared to an average MCC member.

And for the record, I have a MFC membership and I do make the effort attend every game at the MCG/Telstra Dome, the games I didn't attend last year were days when I had family stuff on, which my mum would disown me if I did miss a family-do! So please don't question my loyalty to the MFC.

Its a good discussion but a few points

1. There are approx. 100,000 MCC members who fork out approx. $600 each to have right of access to a seat/entry to the Members Reserve. Its four times the basic AFL Club membership and while it gives access to a large number of games, not every one wants to go to every game.

2. There are approx. 20,000 seats in the MCC members reserve. There is not enough space if every MCC member decide to turn up and seek admission.

3. The subscriptions of the non attending members finance the facilities and services for members that do attend. Without them annual subscriptions would be potentially higher if only attending members subscribed and the dormant members did not.

4. Higher usage rates by existing MCC members could influence the MCC committee to slow down the intake of new members thereby extending waiting list time for aspirants.

5. Outside limited pre booking and subject to member rules no seats can be reserved. They go first come, first serve.

6. The lack of a reserved seat can often dissuade MCC members from attending at the last moment of events. If you have ever tried to chase down a couple of seats together in the MCC reserve when a big game is on you will know what I mean.

7. Many/most MCC members have also had to spend time on a waiting list and for many the waiting list was as long as 20 years.

8. The cost of membership has risen significantly over the years and for age 20 something new members the cost of membership entry is another financial challenge for them particularly if they dont intend to use it much. I wonder if that affects take up rates of new MCC memberships in recent years?

9. However, for the level of access to football and cricket over a 12 month period and quality of the facilities in the new MCC reserve I think the membership is good value. However every one makes there own assessment.

Yep, they're fair points. I wasn't of all those facts. :) I guess I'll be satisfied waiting another 13 or so years... (I signed up for the list about 2-3 years ago now)

Further to Rhino's execllent coverage - the MCC funds the full MCG redevelopment, not taxpayers etc. and if your A**se points to the ground - your in! That's my idea of egalitarian.

Secondly, the MCC memebers who DO attend MFC games are as passionate and abusive lot as anywhere else in the ground.

I waited 20 years and got admitted the year Barassi arrived back in '81. It seemed a good thing at the time.

I'm not talking about loyalty so much to the Melbourne Football Club, that's not my argument, I'm talking about how much I use the MCG each year compared to an average MCC member.

And for the record, I have a MFC membership and I do make the effort attend every game at the MCG/Telstra Dome, the games I didn't attend last year were days when I had family stuff on, which my mum would disown me if I did miss a family-do! So please don't question my loyalty to the MFC.

Sorry, I didnt realise you were allowed to question MCC members loyalty but nobody is allowed to questions yours, my mistake.

My Grandad is getting on a bit and can only attend 2 or 3 games a year (similar position to many MCC members I'm sure), you think because of that he should have to give up his membership to some pipsqueak like you? And the basis for that is 'loyalty'?!?! Get stuffed.

how about afl members that do not attend? i would have thought that this was also a problem if the mcc is an issue!!

my god man, i have no idea where to start?

I am lost for words!!

Its a good point...always had the theory [completely without basis] that AFL members were mostly Collingwood supporters, because we did not want them in the MCC. Unfortunately there are no such restrictions and the net result is that in certain bars we have to drink out of plastic instead of glass because of "crowd behaviour incidents" that have occured when Collingwood are playing.

Maybe we could have had a statement on the MCC nomination form similar to the old USA landing card..."are you now, or have you ever been in he past, a member of the Nazi party?" I'm serious, they used to have this, always made me laugh my [censored] off - who would admit to that?

Anyway it may have been fun if we'd substituted Nazi Party for Collingwood Football Club, of course the filth supporters would have lied and got it, but it would have reinforced the sentiment that they are not welcome...the pricks now think they own the place.

Maybe we could have had a statement on the MCC nomination form similar to the old USA landing card..."are you now, or have you ever been in he past, a member of the Nazi party?" I'm serious, they used to have this, always made me laugh my [censored] off - who would admit to that?

:lol: They still do

Ok...

BUT!

OK apology accepted :)

Just think how much you'll appreciate it when it comes through. I did and I still remember the feeling of going to my first game as an MCC member. It was against the Tassie Hawks incidentally and we won. Even better!

But I'm surprised at your impression that few members turn up in general. My experience is the opposite (I've been to all the Melb games there this year, and quite a bit of cricket). Even when the attendance at the MCG in general is low, the Members is usually the fullest part of the ground. In fact, my complaint is that the MCC Reserve is often too full for comfort - we (having paid annual membership fees) get the privilege of joining long queues before the gates open to rush in and grab a good seat on the wing, then wait to get a seat ticket. Only then can you relax, whereas all the non-members stroll casually up and take their seats in relaxed style.

Then the catering is usually over-patronised so more queuing to get a feed.

I know that the MCC admitted more new members than the facility can cope with (to help fund the new stand), which is why there was no new member intake last year. My mate is right on the end of the member waiting list, he'll be in this year hopefully.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. The new stand is excellent, you get to rub shoulders with people like Paul McNamee and John So and big-mouth Kennett and a good view of our trumpeter Hugh in his maroon jacket. And watch the coaches close up. It's fun. You'll enjoy immensely once you're in, come and have a drink with me as we cheer those Dees on!

And did the MCC really let those on the waiting list into the Reserve for the Freo game? Never heard that, but anyone who took up the offer got a day at the footy they'll never forget.

But I'm surprised at your impression that few members turn up in general. My experience is the opposite (I've been to all the Melb games there this year, and quite a bit of cricket). Even when the attendance at the MCG in general is low, the Members is usually the fullest part of the ground.

Not sure that I agree totally. The whole top level of the MCC is pretty much empty even on days with decent (40k) crowds.

The worst offender in this is the AFL members, where that whole flank/pocket is bare on small crowd days except for one bay where they are crammed in like sardines.

I think that in general match-day crowds (especially small attendance matches) would rise substantially if more of the ground is designated for general admin, such that the average punter (or club member w/out allocated seat) knows that if they rock up 1/2 hour before the match they can still get a decent seat. This would require flexibility on the part of the AFL to free up more seating from its AFL members to be allocated as General Admin. Its a pretty average feeling when you're at a match with a smallish crowd and you're forced high up the back of the Southern Stand but half of the front rows toward the city end are empty because the AFL members haven't turned up.

Not sure that I agree totally. The whole top level of the MCC is pretty much empty even on days with decent (40k) crowds.

OK I never get to see the top level so you are undoubtedly right. But I guess the MCC have to judge how many will turn up and thus how much to open up. Probably easy to get it wrong on occasions, and cause over-crowding. Ground & first levels have been pretty full every Dees game this year. Against the pies it will be totally full. Who let all them into the Members anyway??

HBT i'd have to agree with you. When a game has 20 thousand at it, 1/5 of the ground, i'd say there are easily more than 4000 in the MCC. Sure the top isnt full, but neither is any of the Southern Stand (trust me, i can see this stand well from where i sit). I'd say the MCC members as a percentage of the ground fills up more than the rest

The worst offender in this is the AFL members, where that whole flank/pocket is bare on small crowd days except for one bay where they are crammed in like sardines.

AFL members are often 'crammed in' that end because many of the bays on level 2 seem to be reserved for people that don't show. Often the way on level 1 IIRC, too, but probably not on that flank towards the Ponsford.

It is frustrating for gen adm. though, yes.