Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Members Information Night

Reality Bus

Thanks,i'll be there.

is it a typo or am I reading this wrong...starts 7pm and finishes 7.30pm ?? .......Maybe it's only a "30 min AGM" then the fun starts !!!!!

Edited by True Believer

is it a typo or am I reading this wrong...starts 7pm and finishes 7.30pm ?? .......Maybe it's only a "30 min AGM" then the fun starts !!!!!

TB, the AGM starts and finishes within 1/2 an hour. The information night - talks from the coach, board etc starts at 7.30pm and goes from there.

Think I might have a look myself.

I assume the jumper presentation will be held then?

TB, the AGM starts and finishes within 1/2 an hour. The information night - talks from the coach, board etc starts at 7.30pm and goes from there.

Think I might have a look myself.

I assume the jumper presentation will be held then?

I think we will be notified of any change to Dean Bailley's coaching contract on the night.At least I am hopeful we members get told then the press gain confirmation.

Jimmy opened proceedings. "We have good people at the club - players, board and administration. We have a great coach who knows where we're going, we know how long it takes and we'll get there!"

Cameron Bruce and Brad Green have just been awarded life memberships. Two more about to be awarded, my guess is Paul Wheatley and Matthew Whelan.

• Like 1

The way the four recipients (and the skipper who presented them) proved everything Jimmy said in his introduction.

The club's accountant spoke. He was very entertaining for an accountant and there were no questions. Bottom line is that the club made a small operating profit and, thanks to debt demolition, club debt has been reduced to $1.5m. The situation is improving but we are still reliant on the AFL and the MCC so we're not out of the woods yet.

AGM over. Now down to the MIN.

Edited by Whispering_Jack
  • Like 1

Cam Schwab spoke about the plan ie the red and blueprint which gained it's initial integrity and momentum from Jim. Spoke of the club's legacy - it's ethos which is the basis for decision making. We look at our brand, our team, our resources and our community. If Cam comes onto Demonland he can expand on this but I'm not worthy of expressing his words.

Cam said it was an indictment that we're stil training at Junction Oval but the good news is we move into our new facilities in the Melbourne Park precinct. We have a 21 year lease at Casey Fields reviewable by us every five years. We will be looking at possibilities with a planned development at the Docklands.

Cameron stated that we're becoming the club we want to be and we're on track!

He finished by presenting Stuart Spencer with the 1956 Bluey Truscott Cup. Stuart was winner in 1955 and 56 but never collected his cup because he went to Tassie at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

Dean Bailey spoke of two years of significant changes, it's been tough but our membership is still growing. We need to show more improvement to reward those who showed their faith. We're here to provide an environment in which we can win games and premierships. This involves time and putting games into the young players at the club. With continuity comes success.

Our recruiting has been focussed toward success. The young players recently drafted are exciting - not just the early picks. Everyone's working hard including a number from the group who have been around a little. Jared Rivers and Brent Moloney have had outstanding summers - they have had their best pre-seasons yet. Players must earn their places in the team.

We need to sustain an attitude that will win us games.

Pre season has been good with the players working hard - we need to get better at kicking and decision-making. We need to score, to defend better and win in the middle. Suggested we'll have some smiles on our faces as the season progresses

• Like 1

Dean Bailey spoke of two years of significant changes, it's been tough but our membership is still growing. We need to show more improvement to reward those who showed their faith. We're here to provide an environment in which we can win games and premierships. This involves time and putting games into the young players at the club. With continuity comes success.

Our recruiting has been focussed toward success. The young players recently drafted are exciting - not just the early picks. Everyone's working hard including a number from the group who have been around a little. Jared Rivers and Brent Moloney have had outstanding summers - they have had their best pre-seasons yet. Players must earn their places in the team.

We need to sustain an attitude that will win us games.

Pre season has been good with the players working hard - we need to get better at kicking and decision-making. We need to score, to defend better and win in the middle. Suggested we'll have some smiles on our faces as the season progresses.

Great work as usual WJ, much appreciated! How many people are there??

Barry Prendergast spoke about the club's recruiting. The emphasis has been on finding players who can contest the ball and win in the middle. 

Tom Scully is an elite runner with a great work ethic - a committed professional. 

Jack Trengove moved from the national championships up to senior football. He finds space and puts the ball to his team's advantage. 

Jordan Gysberts has elite hands, plays inside and is tall for a midfielder. 

We wanted talls - especially Max Gawn and Jack Fitzpatrick but we wanted someone of quality. Luke Tapscott is a big bodied midfielder, has a bit of "prick" in him and has a great kick. Max is 207cm and Jack, another tall who won the repeat speed test at the draft camp.

Joel McDonald has tremendous experience in the backline and that rounds off our drafting process. 

The jumper presentation is to follow.

• Like 1

So have Blease and Strauss kept 46 & 47?

I felt certain Blease would get 17.

There was no mention made of their jumper numbers. In question time Bails was asked about the players in rehab. In respect to Blease, he said that he was going well at training. He is running off the line and is showing good pace. He is kicking the ball and has also put on a couple of kgs. He recently had a bone scan and got the "all clear". He just needs to regain confidence in his ankle.

• Like 1

The highlight of the night for me was the presentation of Stuart Spencer with his 56 Truscott Cup. He said the club told him to keep the night free for a presentation. He went through the checklist with his family - "I'm a Life Member, in the MFC Team of the Century and the AFL Hall of Fame so I dont know what else it could be".

The guernsey presentation was also extremely well done, past prominent players were on hand to give over each number as follows:

#5 David Schwarz -> Jordan Gysberts

#9 David Neitz & Brian Dixon -> Jack Trengove

#28 David Cordner -> Joel McDonald

#31 Ron Barassi & Paul Wheatley -> Tom Scully

#35 Noel McMahon & Antony McDonald -> Luke Tapscott

#37 Jim Stynes - Max Gawn

#48 Darren Cuthbertson(!) -> Jack Fitzpatrick

No other jumper number changes were mentioned other than those already stated by WJ.

There were relatively few questions from the floor this year. Bails gave a good, lengthy answer to a query on our seemingly growing injury list. Mentioned we won 21 quarters of football in 2008, and this increased to 33 this year. The average points kicked against us dramatically dropped this year compared to last, but our points kicked remained reasonably stagnant, he said we need to improve our attack this year, and that the more players play together, the better we'll get at this.

The night ended with a rousing rendition of the club song led by Brian Dixon & Noel McMahon, arm in arm.

So have Blease and Strauss kept 46 & 47?

I felt certain Blease would get 17.

I cannot recall this being done.It was actually Stuart Grimshaw

whom went through the finances. Changes in jumper announcements were: Jurrah to gain 24 which we all knew and Warnock will wear 1. There was about 250 standing and I was told around 2500 in total. I was talking to Sean Wight whom said tonight was unbelievable- the spirit with JIMMA AROUND IS JUST UNBELIEVABLE AND CATCHY. I felt tonights meeting was also that as well as a feeling that the club wants to make our club one big family.

Other significant factors were raised By Cam Schwab which were the driving mechanism of the club was around membership and the strategic plan , they have budgeted for 31500 members Concentration would be around the Casey & Melbourne Councils where in Casey the growth is expectd to unbelievable. 450 thousand are expected to reside in Casey within 20 years. This ,I believe ,would make it as big as Canberra now.

The club are going to concentrate on students- and younger persons- similar to Hawthorn .It is felt the Hawthorn club multiplied enormously around the likes of Franklin etc..WOW- what is going to happen when we have many icons.

The club is working with the Melbourne City Council with regards homeless persons.

Injuries to players was discussed were Jamar who has a hamstring injury will return to full training next week.

Bate - is suffering from a hot spot on a sesamoid bone in his toe- played with this condition for virtually all of last year and they are trying to heal it before season starts.

Johnson-foot-will start jogging next week

Meeson making just slow progress

Garland- nearly there, maybe two weeks away from full traing-to me that was the greatest news for the night.

Blease back in full traioning,needs to gain confidence.

Wonaeamirri 70% right.Bails feels he would or hopefully be right for 3rd NAB game.

Staff looked amazing - neat ,well groomed.

That is what I recall- good night folks.

Forgot one thing--The atmosphere was amazing. Jimma,Bails were in one thought when both of them said--We can't wait --bring it on.

GO DEES.

Edited by jayceebee31

Bails didn't indicate how many games he wanted to win this year, but he did highlight two areas where he expects big improvement.

1. The number of quarters won for the season. In 2009 we won 32 quarters. In 2008 we only won 23.

2. Points for and points against. In 2009 we averaged 77 points for and 103 against. In 2008 we scored 73 points for and allowed 115 points per game. So there has been an improvement each year and Bails wants this to continue, but he didn't nominate specific targets.

My highlight was Jimmy. He's lean and has a shaven head but he's still Jimmy and in his adversity he's still looking strong and, as always, courageous. What a great leader!

A few other heroes from bygone days were there - Ron Barassi, Brian Dixon, Noel Mahon and, of course, Stewie Spencer.

The introduction of some of the recruits was terrific. Tom Scully is so cool for an 18 year old that I'm inclined to call him "the Ice Man". He answered the questions of The Ox and CC seriously and earnestly. You can tell that he's really driven and determined to succeed. However, I would like to see him lighten up and smile a bit. Surely, life isn't all serious?

Jack Trengove is a bit more laid back and yet very cool in his own way. Joel McDonald is, of course, a more mature age player who looks a bit like Ben Stiller and who isn't a big fan of The Fev.

The explanation by Bails about the injury situation was comforting. I think jayceebee has covered it pretty well. It seems that the only players who are longish term injured are PJ and John Meesen. He was quite positive about the ability of players like Matty Bate, Mark Jamar and Aussie to be ready to play at some stage during the NAB Cup series.

And after the song was sung they showed film of the recruits. Max is going to be an imposing player one of these days.

• Like 1

My highlight was Jimmy. He's lean and has a shaven head but he's still Jimmy and in his adversity he's still looking strong and, as always, courageous. What a great leader!

A few other heroes from bygone days were there - Ron Barassi, Brian Dixon, Noel Mahon and, of course, Stewie Spencer.

The introduction of some of the recruits was terrific. Tom Scully is so cool for an 18 year old that I'm inclined to call him "the Ice Man". He answered the questions of The Ox and CC seriously and earnestly. You can tell that he's really driven and determined to succeed. However, I would like to see him lighten up and smile a bit. Surely, life isn't all serious?

Jack Trengove is a bit more laid back and yet very cool in his own way. Joel McDonald is, of course, a more mature age player who looks a bit like Ben Stiller and who isn't a big fan of The Fev.

The explanation by Bails about the injury situation was comforting. I think jayceebee has covered it pretty well. It seems that the only players who are longish term injured are PJ and John Meesen. He was quite positive about the ability of players like Matty Bate, Mark Jamar and Aussie to be ready to play at some stage during the NAB Cup series.

And after the song was sung they showed film of the recruits. Max is going to be an imposing player one of these days.

Well stated WJ- agree re Jimmy- WHAT A MAN- how lucky are we..just his charima demands us all to inspire to greatness. My highlight was that every one seemed to be talking as one - we are here to win a premiership and be a great club for not just a year or two but at least a decade.Furthermore agree re Max Gawn. When Jimma got him to compare height with himself , one could see what a tall man he is- but my God He has a great build already and he has just turned 18.Yep a great inspiring night.He should be right to play in the mid/later half of the year say May/June. We need to get to at least 31500 members(budgeted amount) therefore I have contacted everyone I know this morning highlighting last night and telling everyone to join now.Sean Wight was over the moon last night saying this it is- success we come.Therefore if you haven't join DO SO NOW.And get everyone else to do so.But as Cam said we do not want Collingwood supporters.

Lastly agree re Scully- however at 18 and under so much scrutiny what a job he does and the other young ones. I think he does not want to put a word wrong. However, agree also- needs to lighten up and ENJOY FOOTBALL & LIFE.Therefore, not allowing the presuure to get to him.

He will be a beauty.

A further $6000.00 was presented on the night to reduce the debt demolition by the Ballarat branch--great contribution.

GO DEES- WOW.

Edited by jayceebee31