Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade/Draft room

Dappa Dan

One of the more fun things from the end of last season was the room entirely devoted to trading, recruitment, the draft etc etc... I looked forward to seeing it every time I signed on.

Will it be reinstituted for this season? If so, when? With all the Scully/Trengove/Morabito threads I thought maybe now would be a good time. Perhaps we should see if other 'Landers are interested?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in hearing what people think on how many spots on our list we need come draft time.

I'm thinking 4-5, so we can use our pre-season draft pick if required.

Guys like McDonald, Robbo, Whelan, youd think will retire, Wheatley is another one but I could see him getting another year or two.

If the trade rumours concerning Miller and Bartram are true, then we should go for it, otherwise they should stay on.

Personally, I think Bell should be delisted, has shown some things but is limited and we need the spots, and with a number of fringe players (PJ, Newton) contracted for next year, I dont think we can afford to upgrade a rookie at the start of the year, just wait for injuries or the mid season break to give Spencer a go.

I know people will jump on my back here but what about trading Jamar.OK hes had a few good games this year but 1 of them was against a kid in Natanui.Has a very low stat average & dosnt present well enough up forward for my liking.Johnson may not be any better but hes contracted & when he is on i believe he is good & likes to go forward & kick a goal.When hes bad hes pretty bad but i believe its a confidence thing & can be fixed.Then we have Meeson,Spencer & martin who are all young & developing so i dont think we will be to bad there in the future.Also Jamar is 26 so hes only got 5 years or so left & at the moment the POwer have come out & said they will do anything to claim a ruckman via trade.Jamar is from SA so that helps & port are willing.Not sure what they could offer us but im sure there must be a few good VIC boys on there list.Anyone have any names or opinions?

I know people will jump on my back here but what about trading Jamar.OK hes had a few good games this year but 1 of them was against a kid in Natanui.Has a very low stat average & dosnt present well enough up forward for my liking.Johnson may not be any better but hes contracted & when he is on i believe he is good & likes to go forward & kick a goal.When hes bad hes pretty bad but i believe its a confidence thing & can be fixed.Then we have Meeson,Spencer & martin who are all young & developing so i dont think we will be to bad there in the future.Also Jamar is 26 so hes only got 5 years or so left & at the moment the POwer have come out & said they will do anything to claim a ruckman via trade.Jamar is from SA so that helps & port are willing.Not sure what they could offer us but im sure there must be a few good VIC boys on there list.Anyone have any names or opinions?

If the Port Power Neanderthals are desperate for a Ruckman, then it's trade time isn't it. But only if we get the Better Deal. The Russian is not too bad, so if we are to trade we would want a good return, or no deal.

Wouldn't ever consider cutting the Power any Slack. Shouldn't have ever been admitted into the AFL in my opinion.

Personally, I think Bell should be delisted, has shown some things but is limited and we need the spots, and with a number of fringe players (PJ, Newton) contracted for next year, I dont think we can afford to upgrade a rookie at the start of the year, just wait for injuries or the mid season break to give Spencer a go.

Bell's contracted for 2010 too I believe.

I'd keep Jamar. That's not to say if the right deal came along I wouldn't trade him, but he's our #1 ruckman. Johnson and Meesen won't cut it at any point in the future, so we're left with Spencer and Martin if we traded Jamar. For the ruck situation next year, I'd like Jamar as the number 1 and Martin in the side as a flexible backup ruckman/key position player. It leaves us with a decent player in Martin in the 22 without wasting a spot on a second ruckman. That leaves Spencer as the developing ruckman, Meesen as the desperate 4th option, and I'd certainly be looking to draft a rookie ruckman.

One of the more fun things from the end of last season was the room entirely devoted to trading, recruitment, the draft etc etc... I looked forward to seeing it every time I signed on.

Will it be reinstituted for this season? If so, when? With all the Scully/Trengove/Morabito threads I thought maybe now would be a good time. Perhaps we should see if other 'Landers are interested?

I'M feeling superstitious at the moment about gloating of priority picks before they've been awarded.

I don't want to do anything that would harm our chances in any way.

Lets wait a couple of weeks.

Edited by dee-luded

One problem I foresee is that it's such a shallow draft. Most clubs will pass on the 5th pick, some may even pass on the 4th pick. Even with the PP, we may struggle to get any more than 2 great, 1 good and 1 hopeful out of the draft, and maybe 1 out of the PSD. But we may have to rely on our current list plus Scully & maybe Trengove plus a tall from the 2nd round.

So we may not be delist as many as we thought this year; Junior was great against Tiges. And some potential candidates for delisting - Dunn, Bartram, Petterd, even Miller - have really picked it up in the past few weeks. Maybe we'd trade Miller & Bartram, but it would have to be a very good trade - I have a feeling that Bartram in particular is keyed to really tear it up next year.

Of course, we'd get more if we trade heavily. We need outside midfielders and key forwards, we have a surplus of defenders, especially small defenders, inside midfielders, and maybe one excess ruckman. And I'd far rather trade PJ than Jamar, any day of the week.

I'll raise the topic of Aaron Sandilands.

Word is he is keen to come and play out the rest of his career in Victoria. (Apparantly there are a few Freo players who want out of Perth, or at least Fremantle.)

Personally, I wouldn't be too interested. It would depend on the price and I'm not sure what we could offer up in terms of a trade Fremantle would be interested in.

He is 4 months off 27 years old. That's probably the main reason I wouldn't be too keen on him. Plus although our ruck stocks are not great presently, I think we have two guys with plenty of upside in Meesen and Spencer, not to mention Jamar showed some good form in what little game time he has had this year. Paul Johnson, well, he is what he is. Not going to be much more than that.

Anyway, I'll throw it open, interested in others thoughts.

I think it would be silly to start a trade/draft board before the end of round 22. Lets hold out untill then and then we can all turn our attention to what will hopefully be much more exciting times! Too early now.

Lets get through the last 4 rounds and save the draft/trade board for when footy is over and we are looking for stuff to talk about!

Generally I think the less boards the better.

The only reason to split, IMO, is when trade/draft discussion overwhelms all other footy discussion and other threads get pushed off the page too quickly due to the amount of trade/draft discussion.

Is that the case at the moment?

What would he cost us?

Given he might be getting on when we're a contender I'm not so sure it'd be worth it.

The freo situation is apparently largely to do with older players, sandilands, haselby, peake, and others....

I think they are making a mistake with these haselby renegotiations, whilst I reckon it is fair to say he has underachieved in his career to date, he has shown sum much needed leadership this year and appears to have turned the corner, and they still need to spend their cap on sumone, not just a bunch of rookie salaries.

I know of one player manager who thinks that their rebuild had started a year too late (a year after us) and that they'll struggle for a fair few more years as a result, he has made his opinion clear to a freo player he looks after who is out of contract next year. Player management circles are rife with rumours of players queueing up to leave, sum of whom want trades after having just recently resigned, mundy's being one I've heard of.

Shallow be the draft may be...but alas with the spectre that are the concessions for GC next year the value of anything this year rises dramatically ( again ,,another aspect to why our picks are so important ) . Other teams will ackowledge this too i feel sure and in so trading may become rather more intriguing I sense.

dangerfield from the crows is homesick I would be very prepared to look at swapping pick 2 or 3 for him. absolute jet who has some massive upside.

I'd swap Trengrove for Dangerfield any day of the week in my book!

What would he cost us?

Given he might be getting on when we're a contender I'm not so sure it'd be worth it.

I would be more keen to have a go at David Hale from North. A couple of years younger than Sandilands and can play both in the ruck and as a key forward. Has been pretty ordinary this year but is a very good player.

Assuming we get the priority pick, our second round pick (18-20?) may be enough. Sandilands would take a much higher pick or pick plus player.

Just thought i'd mention that trengove would love to come to victoria as his dad lives here..

He is a client of ours and is a really great bloke.. Likes the idea of his son as a dee too!!!

that's great news!

here in the west there is talk of melb, collingwood and a few others chasing seaby who has expressed a desire to leave westcoast with woosha keen to play natanui ahead of him. He's a decent backup ruckman but i hope it isnt true. best thing about him was his afro but he shaved that off. I don't want the club trading for another paul johnson

I think it would be silly to start a trade/draft board before the end of round 22. Lets hold out untill then and then we can all turn our attention to what will hopefully be much more exciting times! Too early now.

Lets get through the last 4 rounds and save the draft/trade board for when footy is over and we are looking for stuff to talk about!

I agree with this now. Wait until 1st of September. Then all the threads can be merged etc for the Draft and Trading Forum in a nice neat little package.

Reminder: Debt Demolition month has begun. Aim is $1 Million. Go Dees!

Just thought i'd mention that trengove would love to come to victoria as his dad lives here..

He is a client of ours and is a really great bloke.. Likes the idea of his son as a dee too!!!

Eat that all u SA people perpetuating the rumour he will go back to SA at all costs if drafted interstate!

That makes me feel a lot more confident. Thanks for that, PeterJames!

that's great news!

here in the west there is talk of melb, collingwood and a few others chasing seaby who has expressed a desire to leave westcoast with woosha keen to play natanui ahead of him. He's a decent backup ruckman but i hope it isnt true. best thing about him was his afro but he shaved that off. I don't want the club trading for another paul johnson

We tried getting Seaby (was it last season or the one before that?). I don't think we'll have another go, because Bailey and co seem to be focused on purely young talent, not rejects. Still, I could be wrong.

Word is he is keen to come and play out the rest of his career in Victoria. (Apparantly there are a few Freo players who want out of Perth, or at least Fremantle.)

Personally, I wouldn't be too interested. It would depend on the price and I'm not sure what we could offer up in terms of a trade Fremantle would be interested in.

He is 4 months off 27 years old. That's probably the main reason I wouldn't be too keen on him. Plus although our ruck stocks are not great presently, I think we have two guys with plenty of upside in Meesen and Spencer, not to mention Jamar showed some good form in what little game time he has had this year. Paul Johnson, well, he is what he is. Not going to be much more than that.

Anyway, I'll throw it open, interested in others thoughts.

No thanks, I'm mostly against trading for players from other clubs, unless its a Judd wanting to return home.

Players generally traded from other clubs IMO are too expensive & have proven to have failed,. or they cost the Earth for a club struggling to rebuild.

Stick with the kids policy, spend resources on the best recruiters & list Manager available, & build a brotherhood amongst our clan.

I would have thought it's not a case of "why " start it but "why not?"

And the idea that 4 rounds out is too soon is absurd. We've been on and on about this for months, and once the order is decided, which it's getting closer and closer to being... (will be ironclad as soon as 1-2 weeks from now) we'll have nothing else to discuss BUT silly season.

No thanks, I'm mostly against trading for players from other clubs, unless its a Judd wanting to return home.

Players generally traded from other clubs IMO are too expensive & have proven to have failed,. or they cost the Earth for a club struggling to rebuild.

Stick with the kids policy, spend resources on the best recruiters & list Manager available, & build a brotherhood amongst our clan.

i no luke ball is not that popular at st kilda and may be on the market next year any thoughts