Fevola out of contract- and not happy with Blues offer

Golden Monkey

A report just on the radio then stated that Carlton have offered Fev a one year deal and he wants a long term contract.

He is going to have talks with other talks, with the retirement of Neitz at seasons end more than likely we will have salary cap room and a real need for a strong forward.

Fev has vowed to clean up his act, and I believe he has and will continue to do so. I think we need to do as much as we can to undermine Carlton's attempts to keep him and secure him as a melbourne player in 2009

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A report just on the radio then stated that Carlton have offered Fev a one year deal and he wants a long term contract.

He is going to have talks with other talks, with the retirement of Neitz at seasons end more than likely we will have salary cap room and a real need for a strong forward.

Fev has vowed to clean up his act, and I believe he has and will continue to do so. I think we need to do as much as we can to undermine Carlton's attempts to keep him and secure him as a melbourne player in 2009

Fevola and Johnathan Brown being potentially available at the same time could stir up trade week, hopefully we may benefit in the trade process even if we don't actually end up with either of these two.

I would love him at our club.

Fantastic forward...But also gives us a face in the media that kids love and from all reports he is very good with kids.

Not getting my hopes up though...

Brown aint going nowhere !! 6,000,000 ka ching ka ching !!

Fev wont be going anywhere.. They have no one else who can bag them. He's just playing the contract game.

Take Fev in the psd, otherwise we'll have to give up too much to get him. I think that the Fev would be the sort of person to leave a club for nothing as well.

And could cost MFC heaps in reputation and media.

A real challenge as he has lots of upside but heaps of downside on and off the field.

JBrown will not leave the Lions. He wants $6mil over 5 years. He will get somewhere south of that. I hate 5 year contracts. You cant plan the future you have no certainly of delivery and it too often ends in financial tears.

These are quick fix solutions. We need to find the next Brown or Fevloa. We had a chance to get Fev a couple of years ago and we didn't want him (a stupid decision) - now is a rebuild phase and we need to develop our own.

We have a good bunch of young midfielders and no big fellas (that is unless Dunn and Morton can hit the gym). These are the types we need to draft. It can be an exciting future if we can get some good young kids that we can actually develop (a problem we consistently fail to solve). Comments?

These are quick fix solutions. We need to find the next Brown or Fevloa.
:huh:

Isnt this exactly what this is..a quick fix. Just getting a Brown or a Fev isnt the key to a total solution going forward. You need a TEAM thats working together. Piecemeal adhoc implants arent going to win a premiership

:huh:

Isnt this exactly what this is..a quick fix. Just getting a Brown or a Fev isnt the key to a total solution going forward. You need a TEAM thats working together. Piecemeal adhoc implants arent going to win a premiership

think you misinterpreted his post as i read it he wants to develop the next Brown or Fevola within our own ranks and not the quick fix method of buying stars from other clubs

And i agree with him like you do ;)

These are quick fix solutions. We need to find the next Brown or Fevloa. We had a chance to get Fev a couple of years ago and we didn't want him (a stupid decision) - now is a rebuild phase and we need to develop our own.

We have a good bunch of young midfielders and no big fellas (that is unless Dunn and Morton can hit the gym). These are the types we need to draft. It can be an exciting future if we can get some good young kids that we can actually develop (a problem we consistently fail to solve). Comments?

A good bunch of midfielders but lacking that extra bit of zip and sparkle...Daniel Rich looks our best bet here [better then an ageing hamstrung repeat offender drug addict].

If Grimes comes up trumps then we have a midfield that will have time to gel together and can serve our needs for the next 6 years.

To be world-beaters you need 4 mid-field guns all-firing, Brisbane & West Coast being good examples of this...once their fab four's were dismantled things turned south quite quickly...you can tag 2, struggle to cover 3, 4's almost impossible.

We also need to add to our spine...given that the quality of Daniel Rich may be just too much to pass up on we may have to either hope their is KP depth in the next draft, or hopefully benefit from the fallout of all the trade week merry-go-round and all its salary cap implications and pick up some additional KP talent that way.

yep//youre dead right.. stand corrected..

And could cost MFC heaps in reputation and media.

A real challenge as he has lots of upside but heaps of downside on and off the field.

JBrown will not leave the Lions. He wants $6mil over 5 years. He will get somewhere south of that. I hate 5 year contracts. You cant plan the future you have no certainly of delivery and it too often ends in financial tears.

I understand what you're saying and this time last year I'd agree, however...the more I'm hearing about Dean Bailey and what he's trying to achieve with the playing group the more I'm starting to believe that he would be able to handle dealing with an ego like Fev. Plus I reckon that Fev is the type of person to leave a club for the psd just to get the deal he wants, so potentially we could land him for nothing.

I don't think it would be worthwhile pursuing JB. Even if we did pull of a miracle and became his first choice it would cost us too much, both in terms of salary and picks/players needed to secure him.

I understand what you're saying and this time last year I'd agree, however...the more I'm hearing about Dean Bailey and what he's trying to achieve with the playing group the more I'm starting to believe that he would be able to handle dealing with an ego like Fev. Plus I reckon that Fev is the type of person to leave a club for the psd just to get the deal he wants, so potentially we could land him for nothing.

I don't think it would be worthwhile pursuing JB. Even if we did pull of a miracle and became his first choice it would cost us too much, both in terms of salary and picks/players needed to secure him.

I guess if you did make the assessment of Fevola that you would recruit him how long a contract would you offer for someone whose wires can cross so quickly and everything goes pear shaped. I would be surprised that you could get him for less than 3 years. And at the end of the 2nd year he will again threat to go to the PSD if you dont give him what he wants. We might land him for nothing and lose him the same way in 2 to 3 years time.

I guess if you did make the assessment of Fevola that you would recruit him how long a contract would you offer for someone whose wires can cross so quickly and everything goes pear shaped. I would be surprised that you could get him for less than 3 years. And at the end of the 2nd year he will again threat to go to the PSD if you dont give him what he wants. We might land him for nothing and lose him the same way in 2 to 3 years time.

3 is about right. It is low risk stuff if we can get him in the PSD.

Yeah, it's the nature of the beast that we may lose him in the psd although by the time his next contract would expire his value would be much lower and the chances of another club poaching him would be smaller.

Over the next couple of years he would fill a void that we currently have, and it would be a great chance for the younger forwards to learn from him (hopefully in a good way).

It would be a risk though because of the reasons that you've already pointed out.

think you misinterpreted his post as i read it he wants to develop the next Brown or Fevola within our own ranks and not the quick fix method of buying stars from other clubs

And i agree with him like you do ;)

We bemoan the fact that we don't have any elite players on our list, and yet you aren't prepared to get a superstar from another club. You can't develop the next Jonathon Brown.

BTW, I don't think that Brown will leave the Lions, and I don't rate Fevola as an elite player.

We bemoan the fact that we don't have any elite players on our list, and yet you aren't prepared to get a superstar from another club. You can't develop the next Jonathon Brown.

BTW, I don't think that Brown will leave the Lions, and I don't rate Fevola as an elite player.

Geeze mate you sure are doom and gloom :lol:

Fevola,s goalkicking ability is an asset to his team a job i think he does better than most makes him oustanding value

Brown i agree is a one off since maybe Carey in that position and who knows what Buddy will become

I see a brighter future than you do on the development of our younger players so its too early to call if we find one that becomes an elite player the same as its too early to call if we dont

If you want a quick fix thats fine but i dont agree so the question i ask is what happens after your quick fix becomes redundant ?

The biggest problem with Fev is his attention span. He can wax and wain. He has days where he only wants to argue wthe decision whilst the game has continued around him. His focus isnt necessarily a fixed entity !!.On his day he's a very good forward.. on his day !! You just not sure what day it might be with him though :rolleyes::lol:

Geeze mate you sure are doom and gloom :lol:

Fevola,s goalkicking ability is an asset to his team a job i think he does better than most makes him oustanding value

Brown i agree is a one off since maybe Carey in that position and who knows what Buddy will become

I see a brighter future than you do on the development of our younger players so its too early to to call if we find one that becomes an elite player the same as as its too early to call if we dont

If you want a quick fix thats fine but i dont agree so the question i ask is what happens after your quick fix becomes redundant ?

I don't see anyone on our list who will develop into an elite key position player. And wouldn't getting Fevola be a quick fix?

The issue is as RR and Jumbo have said in another thread the most who come through the PSD are not quite right, either in the head or on footy ability. Whilst Fev is one of the superstars of the comp he is now looking at his last big contract, he is a Blues man through and through now, and he has a history of stuffing up. He is on his last warning, would you really want that bloke around our seemingly fragile group. Nieta, who from what we have heard over the last few days, is the most dedicated MFC man going around yet can not lift this group how would a knuckle head like Fev mess with there heads.

Judd is a rarity in everything he does, and i think he might have if not opened the flood gates he certainly has pushed them further a jar for players to look to move more freely. They players assoc has been talking about free agency for a number of years now and even the likes of J Brown want it, it is a matter of the quality of superstar you chase.

Judd yes, Kerr definately look at although he is a knuckle head as well, Fev i would say no.... My 2 cents

actually you c13 raise an interesting side note to all this; Free Agency. It wil come. if in a limited fashion. But with clubs staring the barel of losing some miffed stars in the next couple of years they ( clubs) might be tempted to hedge bets by shoring up some players NOW before they can walk for nix. This will be where Brown is going to exact a hefty sum..either sign him or he can wander in a few years. Carlton may well take a similar route. Fev will get a better contract than he's offered now but it wil have "many" clauses for sure.

actually you c13 raise an interesting side note to all this; Free Agency. It wil come. if in a limited fashion. But with clubs staring the barel of losing some miffed stars in the next couple of years they ( clubs) might be tempted to hedge bets by shoring up some players NOW before they can walk for nix. This will be where Brown is going to exact a hefty sum..either sign him or he can wander in a few years. Carlton may well take a similar route. Fev will get a better contract than he's offered now but it wil have "many" clauses for sure.

... when does Riewoldt's contract expire?? I just think things are on the verge of massive changes in the way the AFL does things. With the new clubs, drafting priorites for TWO teams, potential FA and trading, I hope we are looking ahead for it all.