• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Selection next week

Gouga

Without knowing the wash up from the match review committee, I'd suggest:

In:

Bate - Became a very important player last year. We need his presence accross half forward. Played well for Sandy from all reports.

Martin - Sounds like he is improving every week. We need him to just be competitive in the ruck and need his strong marking in defence or forward. Might be premature but time to take a risk.

Newton - Is a classy player who didn't look interested in round 1 but from all reports played a good team game for Sandy on the weekend. Need firepower forward, could be the man.

Out:

Bell - Has gone backwards this year. In poor form and with no obvious match-up against the Lions needs a run at Sandy. Allows us to persist with Sylvia accross half back.

Jamar - Lacks confidence and footy smarts. DB claims to be a teaching coach, right now Jamar is the dunce of the class.

Neitz - Whether the neck comes good or not I suggest he be rested. Probably battle to be fit anyway.

One of Moloney/Whelan may miss based on the thoughts of the match committee. In the event both are available I believe both should play. I know Moloney cost us an important goal but his aggression is important. We are not playing for finals, we are trying to build a side for the future and I believe Moloney is too good not to be given opportunities. I believe he is dedicated and motivated enough to make amends this week.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agree with your selections but i think Miller will be called in straight away, just a feeling i have.

I really hope Martin gets selected soon, i loved the look of him against geelong in the NAB cup and by all reports has been improving every week.

could be a surprise packet i reckon.

Won't happen but what I want is.

In: Bate (he is good enough to just get a game), Miller (has played pretty well since up forward again), Martin (just try him or Meesen in ruck this week), Buckley (worth another go.)

Out: Jamar (crap), Neitz (injured), Moloney (6 clangers and the free kicks), Bell ( what has happened to this guy)

I want Buckley to be back in the side more than anyone but i dont see it happening. I didnt think he deserved to be dropped the first time.

He needs AFL games to improve.

Getting awfully near round 7...but perhaps IT starts happening this week.

Possible line-up subject to Tribunal hearings etc

In: Martin, Bate, Garland, Newton,

Out: Jamar, Moloney, Carroll*, Neitz [inj],

FB: Whelan*, Martin, Bell

HB: Frawley, Rivers, Bruce

C: Morton, McLean, Bartram

HF: Bate, Dunn, Davey

FF: Wonaemirri, Newton, Green

R: White, Jones, McDonald

I/C: Sylvia, Garland, Wheatley, Robertson

Rationale: Brutal introduction to AFL but try Martin on Brown and see if he can use his height to at least make the spoil whilst also going for the odd spin in the ruck to relieve White. Frawley to take Bradshaw, freeing up Rivers to float. Bate in at expense of Moloney, and this means others will have to share the load through midfield as well [sylvia, Bruce, Green]. Give Garland a chance as a utility up forward as well as down back. Dunn was looking alright as a lead up CHF and then we dragged him, re-load and try again. Newton apparently has started to pull his finger out and is a straight swap for the injured Neitz. Carroll unlucky but would be retained if Wheels doesn't come up trumps at the tribunal.

I want Buckley to be back in the side more than anyone but i dont see it happening. I didnt think he deserved to be dropped the first time.

He needs AFL games to improve.

My apologies moderators, was composing a similar thread whilst this one went up....please merge mine in, thanks

Daniel Bell is batting out of his league. He's a flanker, and shouldnt be asked to play on the second best forward each. He's important to the team.

It was good to see some aggression, though it will cost us. Havent seen the news this morning, but from my position behind the goals in the Ponsford stand, I reckon Paul Wheatley might have got away with a few decent jabs!!!!

Miller to full forward. Robbo on the flank. Bate CHF. Nothing from the skipper all year, sad but it's time to go.

Guest MFC4Life
Without knowing the wash up from the match review committee, I'd suggest:

Out:

Bell - Has gone backwards this year. In poor form and with no obvious match-up against the Lions needs a run at Sandy. Allows us to persist with Sylvia accross half back.

Gouga, of all players I fervently believe that Bell has suffered the most under the new game plan. He is unsure enough as a player but now he has to deal with turning around to look for an option behind him as opposed to arching the back and kicking it forward like he used too. I feel bad for him as he is unable to play his natural game which is breaking the lines and kicking straight to options up forward.

Unfortunatley his decision making is not conducive to this style of football we are failing to implement. If this game plan is maintained I fear he will crash and burn.

Guest MFC4Life

Agree DM, Martin has to play. I'd even be tempted to give Maric a game, despite his performace on Sandy on the weekend.

I want to see some development now that we truly know where we stand.

miller must come back in - our structure was so bad yesterday without the leading target!! he has his detractors but at least he is prepared to work hard and provide an option!!

mark jamar must be dropped - an embarrassing game from a player that should be putting his stamp on games... not sure who you promote - perhaps you do play stef martin as a backman that could pinch hit in the ruck...

daniel bell should be allowed to play further up the ground... put him on a wing!! yes, the game plan is not suiting him but he is a good player as was shown last year... his aggression also seems to have disappeared!!

Guest MFC4Life
mark jamar must be dropped - an embarrassing game from a player that should be putting his stamp on games... not sure who you promote - perhaps you do play stef martin as a backman that could pinch hit in the ruck...

Did you see that debacle right in front of the interchange bench with Whelan, Jamar and Betts when the ball was in dispute, Betts got through Jamar and smashed Whelan.?

I think I felt a tear run down my cheek when I saw it. It just summed up everything perfectly. It was so sad to watch.

i saw that, almost blew the top off! it was an utter disgrace. Too often melbourne players don't shepherd, even when shepherding should comesnaturally to a guy the size of a house!

Did you see that debacle right in front of the interchange bench with Whelan, Jamar and Betts when the ball was in dispute, Betts got through Jamar and smashed Whelan.?

I think I felt a tear run down my cheek when I saw it. It just summed up everything perfectly. It was so sad to watch.

That was terrible.

In Miller, Holland

Out Neitz, Jamar

Play Holland as our second ruck and tall forward target. Miller is a must as we had no targets to link out of defence into the forward line. Bate no rushing play him against Fremantle the following week.

Bell has suffered the most under the new game plan.

That may be so but it does not excuse his performances this year.

Bell constantly gives away sloppy free kicks in our defensive 50. It was only one this week when he ran into an opponents head, but that followed three last week. This part of his game has been constant since game one.

Maybe a change in position is a good idea. But I'd like to see it trialed at sandy first.

Did you see that debacle right in front of the interchange bench with Whelan, Jamar and Betts when the ball was in dispute, Betts got through Jamar and smashed Whelan?

Yes that was bad but Whelan did himself no favours by firstly stopping when he had the ball and then backing back towards the boundary line and running out of room.

It was always gonna be hard for Jamar to keep out Betts.

he stopped because he had nothing to kick to.... you could see it happening and well, i was waiting for the benny hill music to come on!!

all day running out of defence, there was nothing to kick to.. hence we looked our best when we ran the ball down the middle with handball and run!!

jeff white played so deep in defence that i could reach out and touch him... he needs to be in the middle of the ground and the corridor... he has good hands and is usually a good decision maker....

frawley's run was a highlight for me!! took the game on and this is what daniel bell must do....

daniel bell should be allowed to play further up the ground... put him on a wing!! yes, the game plan is not suiting him but he is a good player as was shown last year... his aggression also seems to have disappeared!!

I agree he could be more effective upfield. His disposal skills are excellent but he's having trouble working his way into the game. He seems to be much more confident kicking inside the 50 than rebounding out of it. Yesterday he looked tentative about rebounding, as if he had no faith that they wouldn't turn the ball over immediately and he would be caught out of position, so he was being overly accountable when he should have been making himself an option (but maybe that's the gameplan...).

His aggression has not disappeared, he's just not making as many contests because the defence is under the hammer all game every game. He's one of the few players who thinks to and can lay a proper shepherd - in one effort yesterday he cleaned up two Carlton players with one bump. He was also one of the few to lay hands on Judd (yes, Paul Wheatley, it is within the rules of the game to tackle Chris Judd) - slung him around in 360 during the final quarter and was unlucky not to get a HtB.

I He was also one of the few to lay hands on Judd (yes, Paul Wheatley, it is within the rules of the game to tackle Chris Judd) - slung him around in 360 during the final quarter and was unlucky not to get a HtB.

Sorry JJ, I don't think the umpires are allowed to pay holding the ball against Chris Judd

Bell constantly gives away sloppy free kicks in our defensive 50. It was only one this week when he ran into an opponents head, but that followed three last week. This part of his game has been constant since game one.

Maybe a change in position is a good idea. But I'd like to see it trialed at sandy first.

That is also true. He keeps making critical errors inside the defensive 50, including some horrendous kick outs. Time to relieve the brain pressure of playing defence and let him play more attacking football.

His skills are too good to go back to Sandy, but he should definitely be given a run on the wing in Brisbane. He's one of the few who can deliver the ball to small forwards like Robbo instead of on top of them.

His skills are too good to go back to Sandy, but he should definitely be given a run on the wing in Brisbane. He's one of the few who can deliver the ball to small forwards like Robbo instead of on top of them.

I actually don't think his skills are fantastic. Makes poor decisions and often misses targets.

Give him a run on the ball at Sandy and see what happens.