Trevor Barker Beach Oval at 2:00 PM

SANDRINGHAM

Backs Biddlecombe Lamb Warnock

Half Backs C Liddell Garland Frawley

Centreline Buckley Summers Bode

Half Forwards Yze Newton Bate

Forwards Maric Sautner Poyas

Followers Martin Moloney Valenti

Interchange (from) Cleeve Gilchrist M Johnston T Johnston Monaghan Spencer Tregear Weetra

FRANKSTON

Backs Pollard Kirkwood Winterton

Half Backs Gill Raso Shinners

Centreline Magner Comben Proctor

Half Forwards Gabriel Dickson Clark

Forwards Murray Berry Lee

Followers Eames Kennedy Marigliani

Interchange (from) Barker Barry Collins Conroy Dunne Limbach Morris P Whelan

NOTE: Under VFL rules, only 12 Melbourne listed players can play against a stand alone VFL club.

SANDRINGHAM vs. FRANKSTON

Sunday 13th April

SANDRINGHAM

Interchange (from) Cleeve Gilchrist M Johnston T Johnston Monaghan Spencer Tregear Weetra

FRANKSTON

NOTE: Under VFL rules, only 12 Melbourne listed players can play against a stand alone VFL club.

Bazza didn't Sautner get a week?

That's a strong VFL team right there. An AFL-listed player one every line and that half-forward line is quality!

Hopefully Bate gets through the match and is back in the senior for Round 5.

How long is Messen out for ?

That's a strong VFL team right there. An AFL-listed player one every line and that half-forward line is quality!

Hopefully Bate gets through the match and is back in the senior for Round 5.

Two of the 3 players dont seem to have the fight to work harder and play AFL. The other one is coming back from injury and will hopefully be elevated next week.

If I was an opposing back I would look forward to playing on either Yze or Newton and every time they did not go hard or play committed I would be letting them know in no uncertain way.

Frankly its a poor sign that with Neitz being lampooned and Robbo being ridiculed for their very ordinary performances at MFC that Newton is not in the AFL at the moment.

He was officially out injured last week but hell he is one guy that needs to really show something in the next 18 weeks that he is committed otherwsie he is on the trading table. His talent is diddly squat if he cant commit to what is required.

I'd be keeping Newton at Sandy until he (a) kicks bag, (B) starts a fight and © gets reported.

If Garland, CJ and Miller can get an opportunity to prove themselves, then surely Newton should have a chance.

I think the difference for Bails is that no matter how average a player they are they bought into his "system" and he gave them a go. Newts needs to apply himself more and has been injured.... Couple of games at Sandy then we can ask the questions about him getting a go or not. Molon's is a worry...

If Garland, CJ and Miller can get an opportunity to prove themselves, then surely Newton should have a chance.

He has had one chance so far and blew it comprehensively with a rather meek performance. His repeated lack of effort highlights some compelling concerns about his core attitude to making it in AFL.

He really needs to tear it up at Sandy over the next few weeks and demonstrate he has the desire to do all the things necessary to be an AFL footballer. Only then should he get another chance.

Two of the 3 players dont seem to have the fight to work harder and play AFL. The other one is coming back from injury and will hopefully be elevated next week.

These 3 might have their flaws, but RR, they are all above the VFL competition in terms of their skills.

I have no doubt that the Frankston defense is very worried this week. Newton can and has kicked a bag at this level before, Yze has years of experience in the AFL (and despite his current position, was an elite player once upon a time) and Bate, even though he hasn't played for 5 weeks, can still have a very strong game.

These guys are better than their VFL counterparts on paper. If they don't beat their direct opponent this week, it's going to get messy.

These 3 might have their flaws, but RR, they are all above the VFL competition in terms of their skills.

These guys are better than their VFL counterparts on paper. If they don't beat their direct opponent this week, it's going to get messy.

No problem with Bate...but yes Jaded & RR, Newton and Yze need to show the desire to be back at AFL level. Looking at that Sandy side it looks pretty strong...these guys should have a field day and it would deeply concern me if they didn't.

Am i the only one getting annoyed that Frawley isn't getting a chance to develop at afl level.

Our KPP included:

Carrol- good against players his size but he is actually only 189cm so doesn't have the size to take any of the big forwards on the world- Hall, Riewold, Franklin, Brown, Thompson etc.

Rivers- Good defender, but certainly doesn't thrive at full back. more suited to across half forward. Plays best footy against the 3rd best forward where he can dominate them and float across half back

Warnock&Holland- both in their last season so no point reffering to them.

Stefan Martin- hope is that he will be able to play on the huge forwards, like Resting ruckman. however, there is no hope of his becoming the permanent fullback.

Colin Garland- atm is hopeless, but hope is that he will turn into a Rivers type defender, and not a strong full back.

Therefore, we are missing a fullback. the only player on our list who has the size and nous to eventually fill this position is Frawley. if i were coach id play him every week against the best forward. he might not win every contest, but it would defintely fast track his development.

just see Nathan Brown from collingwood. we need to fast track frawley

I find it interesting that Martin is named in the ruck. Although I am sure this is due to the injuries to Meeson and PJ, I would prefer the focus on his development was as a backman....

Jamar has got to be on thin ice - Must show something this week, else its got to be time to play the youth at AFL level.

Also, is there any reason why Zomer did not get picked after his 7 goal effort last weekend?

I have no doubt that the Frankston defense is very worried this week. Newton can and has kicked a bag at this level before, Yze has years of experience in the AFL (and despite his current position, was an elite player once upon a time) and Bate, even though he hasn't played for 5 weeks, can still have a very strong game.

Skills schmills.

Newton might be. Yze is fast fading. He lacks a yard, is spooked by the contest, cant lay an effective tackle and his kicking has lost its radar. He will still cut corners. But if Yze does have any remaining talent he should be tearing up this competition each week. He isnt. He is playing for his pay cheque and knows he is not on DBs radar especially when our AFL forward line has been poor. I have no doubt the Frankston defence should treat them with respect. If Newton attitude is off and is as soft as boiled egg then the only bag he will kick will be paper.

Bate I have hope for.

SANDRINGHAM vs. FRANKSTON

Sunday 13th April

SANDRINGHAM

FRANKSTON

With the 12/10 rule in place as mentioned, things could get interesting with 2 of those Melbourne players not getting a game. The obvious choice would be Weetra and then probably Warnock considering they'll probably pick Spencer as the back-up ruckmen.

Sylvinator, interesting post. I am disappointed more then annoyed about Frawley. Agree we need to develop a full back and I think we have two in the pipeline, Frawley, and McNamara. Tom is of course very young so I think we should be realistic and realise it will take at least 2 -3 years for him to mature into this role.

Stef Martin playing ruck as a stop-gap, I think he will become a backman and can play anywhere amongst the back 6 wherever our tallest player is required. I just don't see Garland as a backman....looks like a floating HFF to me [but then again so does half the list].

Going forward a couple of years I am more excited about the future of our backline then I am about the forwards.

Possible 2010 backline

Bartram* McNamara Frawley

Rivers Martin Bell

* or Cheney if Bartram plays midfield

As for the forwards this week: IMO Sandy would play Sautner with a broken hip...and whilst Zomer did kick 7 judging from what I saw [and it was only the last quarter of the reserves] it was bit of a turkey shoot. That being said from a MFC development perspective I would much rather see him get a game in the Sandy 1st's then Yze...likewise elevate McNamara over Warnock

Guest MFC4Life
If Newton attitude is off and is as soft as boiled egg then the only bag he will kick will be paper.

Great call RR. This is a dangerous time for Newton...a time when he will be tempted by the dark side of the force. I don't know how many of you watched the game against Casey Scorpions but he was very ordinary, looked haggard, lost and very jaded. He may be injured, I don't know. But he's got some big physical, technical and mental decisons to make, otherwise he could easily become lost to the football annals of time.

Guest MFC4Life
Sylvinator, interesting post. I am disappointed more then annoyed about Frawley. Agree we need to develop a full back and I think we have two in the pipeline, Frawley, and McNamara. Tom is of course very young so I think we should be realistic and realise it will take at least 2 -3 years for him to mature into this role.

I have been watching Sandy games closely this year and Frawley is nothing short of intriguing. He will simply go missing for vast periods of the game (missing includes not touching the football and getting toweled up by mediocre opponets who are sometimes shorter than him). But then sometimes out of the blue he will do really nice things. I really don't know if he can be a KPP due to his style of play and the way HE carries the ball and seems to want to play is that of a fast-paced rebounding defender. Just because a bloke is 193cm doesn't mean he can automatically develop into a KPP.