• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Next week's selected team

joeboy

Bartam , Carroll , Holland

Bell , Rivers , Wheatley

Moloney , McLean , Sylvia

Green , Newton , Davey

Dunn , Neitz , Bruce

Johnson , Jones,

McDonald

Robertson (one last chance ) , Morton , White( one last chance ) , Buckley

Out : Weetra , Garland , Petterd ,Miller ,Yze

In : Bartram , Holland , Rivers , Sylvia , Dunn

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you justify dropping Weetra, Garland and Petterd, and keeping serial underperformers like Bruce and Wheatley in the team?

How are we ever going to develop and move forward if we don't give these kids a chance to learn? Besides, Garland and Petterd were far from our worst players.

I agree with the ins, but replace Holland with Frawley, and also Bate if fit has to play.

How can you justify dropping Weetra, Garland and Petterd, and keeping serial underperformers like Bruce and Wheatley in the team?

How are we ever going to develop and move forward if we don't give these kids a chance to learn? Besides, Garland and Petterd were far from our worst players.

I agree with the ins, but replace Holland with Frawley, and also Bate if fit has to play.

Ok I may have been a little rough with Petterd , but Weetra and Garland showed little today or in the pre season games to suggest they are worth persevering with at this stage .

Robertson (one last chance ) , Morton , White( one last chance ) , Buckley

Draw the line.

Bruce, Green, Robbo, Yze, White.

Only pick 2 out of the 5 every week.

Next week I suggest:

Backs: P.Wheatley, N.Carroll, Bartram

Half backs: D.Bell, Rivers, Dunn

Centreline: Morton, B.McLean, Davey

Half forwards: C.Bruce, B.Miller, Green

Forwards: Holland, D.Neitz, R.Robertson

Followers: J.White, Moloney, N.Jones

Interchange: P.Johnson, Garland, McDonald, Buckley

In: Bartram, Rivers, Holland, Dunn

Out: Petterd, Yze, Newton, Weetra

All four ins played for Sandy today and early reports said they played alright. At this stage I assume Bate will still be out with a hammy and Sylvia was at the MCG today so I suspect he is under an injury cloud.

As for the outs:

Yze - You are an experienced AFL footballer and you are in the leadership group. Last year I was willing to cut you some slack because of injury, but today, logic suggests you would have gone into the game as physically fresh as you are ever likely to be playing footy at your age. I don't expect you to set the world on fire, but other than waving your arms around you showed very little in the way of leadership. If we are going to get beaten like that then we may as well give a young bloke some experience.

Newton - Ben Holland has about a third of your natural physical ability but he gives his all. Like Yze, go back to Sandy and earn your place back in the side. If you want to know where you are falling down - one word - toughness.

Petterd - You have real footy ability and nous, but you got your pants pulled down today and with the players returning next week you too will have to fight your way back through Sandy.

Weetra - A very good first up effort in my books. I don't underestimate how hard it would be to play well in your first game in a side that got so badly beaten. But again the return of some players means you have to make way. You showed enough today to hold your head up high and you now have a taste of AFL footy. Play really well at Sandy and demand a spot back in the team.

Bruce won't play. Clearly injured (not that he plays any better when fit). He's knee is gone, I don't care what anyone says. Davey isn't 100% either. Won't be surprised if both miss through "injury"

Guest redandbluethruandthru

Backs Bartram, Carroll, Wheatley

Half Backs Bell , Rivers, Pettard

Centre Morton, McLean, Dunn

Half -Forward Moloney, Buckley,Bode

Forwards; Davey, Neitz, Green

Followers : Meeson, Jones, McLean

Interchange P.J , J Mac, Weetra, Sylvia

not sure if bode is injured and i sure as hell aint checking out mfc or afl website right now.

i say F@#K IT lets go nuts.

and yeah we probably will get crushed BUT lets get these young guy blooded now and teach them afl aint for pansies. a few thrashings might toughen up a few blokes.

In - anyone, I dont care who.

Out - Bruce, White, Yze, Green, Carroll, Miller, McLean

i agree with all of those except mclean. garland can go as well, if you continually miss targets 30 mts away by foot under no pressure you shouldnt be playing

Now is not the time to panic. Sylvia, Rivers, Bate, Dunn, Bartam and perhaps Holland are all to bolster the team over the next couple of weeks. Due to injuries many won't gain match fitness for another couple of rounds and then expect to see the real Dees in about Rnd 5. Hit top gear by beating the Pies on Queens Birthday and then win 8 of the last 11 to make the finals.

I can't believe people are wanting to replace the likes of Petterd, Weetra, Newton and McLean?!?!? And for Holland?!

Weetra didn't do too much, but neither did anyone else in the team with infinite more AFL experience than him. He actually did a few nice things. Newton did enough to keep his position given the delivery coming into the forward line. Petterd will regain confidence with game time and McLean... not even going to bother justifying why he should stay in the team.

OUT: Bruce, Green, Miller, Carrol, Yze, White, Robertson.

IN: Rivers, Bartram, Dunn, Bode, Frawley, Meesen, Sylvia.

Why are people getting rid of Miller? He played his heart out in an ever losing backline and did what he could against constant delivery into the hawks forward line.

One person i found that I was upset by was Newton: He was lazy uncommited and lacked intensity, i don't care if the team sucked but this kid didn't chase and he looked slow and stagnet so drop for a week or 2 put him in Sandy and make sure that he gets the message. He has to learn that in modern day football that you can't just lead occasionally and sit ontop of peoples heads every once in a while because he has to apply defensive pressure like Neitz did today.

Other potential outs:

Yze, Davey (injury? if so rest), Bruce (same as davey), Weetra (Tried today and played an alright first game but has pulled up sore and no point in risking young players getting injured)

Not fussed with ins as we have pleanty to choose from

Ins (for starters) - Rivers, Bartram, Sylvia, Dunn

Outs -

Morton: what a tough game to make his debut. Showed courage but back to Sandy then back in when the team is playing better.

Wheatley: does he have a future or has the increased pace of the game caught him out?

Robertson: was never quick but is now slow, goes to ground too often, was a good player and a favourite but another the game has passed by.

Yze: was stunned when he was selected for round 1. Can play out his career with Sandy. Another player the game has passed by.

Other comments

White can go too. If Bruce and Green play they should be half forwards. They really are not much better than Jack Dyer good ordinary footballers. Actually it was such an embarasing performance they can be dropped too. Time to shake things up.

No point in dropping likes of Petterd, Maclean, Weetra etc when there are so many more senior players who put in absolute shockers.

team v bullies

Bartram Carroll Frawley

Petterd Rivers Bell

Dunn Maclean Buckley

Sylvia Miller Moloney

Neitz Newton Davey

Johnson, Jones. McDonald

Jamar/Meesen, Weetra, Garland, Bode

Ah now that feels better.

Why are people getting rid of Miller? He played his heart out in an ever losing backline and did what he could against constant delivery into the hawks forward line.

Oh my god, thank you! I was going to say something along these lines in another thread, but knew I'd either be ignored or attacked. I was actually impressed with Miller today. He did some very nice, quick and clever things, and is NOT one to be dropped.

Saw Sylvia (and CJ) in his Dees tracksuit loitering around the boundary line before the first bounce today. He would have been itching to get out there, and will be absolutely raring to go next week. :rolleyes:

I would love to see Carroll dropped to Sandy until his contract expires and we can be rid of him forever :). For Carroll, Rivers or even Holland or Frawley to be brought in. I'm already sick of seeing Carroll play like he has real tabs on himself and thinks he can get away with being absolutely [censored]. Hopefully Bailey shows him that he can't.

I would like to persist with Morton and Weetra. I thought Weetra did some really nice things today, especially that massive punch which left him limping for a bit. One of the 3AW hosts said that Morton was one of only two 'decent' Dees (along with PJ) - I wouldn't go that far, but I think he should stay in for at least another game.

In: Rivers (or if not, then Holland), Sylvia, Dunn, Bartram/Bate

Out: Carroll, Garland, Robbo, Pettard

Dropping all the senior players won't solve anything, their issues are ingrained from a long time ago.

Weetra isn't ready yet. Garland is border line, I'd give him a bit more time at Sandy before bringing him back at AFL level. Morton stays in, his natural talent needs him to be played at AFL level to get us to the pace. He has the skill already, and in time he'll develop the body hopefully.

Bring in Rivers, Syliva, Dunn and Bartram.

Out go Miller (no need against smaller Dogs forwards), Weetra (not ready), Garland (not ready) and Pettard (unlucky but looked like he needed a full run or two at Sandy and right now I don't know if there's room for both he and Bartram in the same side).

This should be the team.

FB: Bell Carroll Bartram

HB: Frawley Rivers Petterd

C: Moloney Jones Wheatley

HF: Bruce Newton Green

FF: Robertson Neitz Davey

Foll: P Johnson Sylvia McLean

Int: White McDonald Dunn Buckley

NOTE: I wouldn't be upset if Aussie was promoted off Rookie the list (Grimes injury?) as an extra crumbing forward who can chase and apply pressure.

Dropping all the senior players won't solve anything, their issues are ingrained from a long time ago.

Weetra isn't ready yet. Garland is border line, I'd give him a bit more time at Sandy before bringing him back at AFL level. Morton stays in, his natural talent needs him to be played at AFL level to get us to the pace. He has the skill already, and in time he'll develop the body hopefully.

Bring in Rivers, Syliva, Dunn and Bartram.

Out go Miller (no need against smaller Dogs forwards), Weetra (not ready), Garland (not ready) and Pettard (unlucky but looked like he needed a full run or two at Sandy and right now I don't know if there's room for both he and Bartram in the same side).

Agree with most of that.

Miller should stay. We too short as it is. Switch him back to CHF.