Sylvia suspended

Grooski

not sure what you mean by that rhino. if you were referring to my comment to jaysoul it was merely humour at the idea that he reffered to these types of clubs as being 'undesirable' but openly admits to going there. i always figured that if you went there you would think it was a fantastic place to hang out, and that everyone else just thought they were dodgy. similar to how the mainstream crowd sees the places i drink my beers i spose. apparently those who frequent these 'undesirable' venues realise they are not the best places in the world...

Not to that. Your reference about the ability to sweep undesirable activities of players by the Club under the carpet. There are few areas of privacy for AFL footballers

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn it up! Its a positive that he was not [censored] and detrimentally affecting his physical fitness

He might have been pretty distraught about the events that occurred.

Now if it was Brock McLean :wub::wub: ...there would be a plausible explanation like he doesnt have a licence now and has to rely on public transport!

It's great if he wasn't out getting [censored], but it gives him an even less plausible excuse for missing training.

Do you think the leadership group would have punished him for missing the curfew if he was at his girlfriend's house past 1am? I highly doubt it.

I completely sympathise with his situation. Break-ups suck, which is exactly why he should have let someone at the club know if he wasn't feeling emotionally capable of turning up to the recovery session. That would have been the responsible thing to do, and I am sure the club would have given him the time off that he needed. Afterall, we are not dealing with unreasonable people or unreasonable expectations. Nobody expects Sylvia to act like a robot and feel nothing when bad things happen in his life.

And this has nothing to do with Brock McLean. Brock got his punishment, and IMO it is far worse being dropped indefinitely from the leadership group, than it is missing one game. It's a harsher penalty in the long run.

I completely sympathise with his situation. Break-ups suck, which is exactly why he should have let someone at the club know if he wasn't feeling emotionally capable of turning up to the recovery session. That would have been the responsible thing to do, and I am sure the club would have given him the time off that he needed. Afterall, we are not dealing with unreasonable people or unreasonable expectations. Nobody expects Sylvia to act like a robot and feel nothing when bad things happen in his life.

A very female way of looking at it Jaded. ;) Of course as a male he may have a different perspective. I'll deal with it myself without help from anyone else - because I'm a man and men are strong and independent and stuff, and if that doesn't work, I'll just break something! He got a one match ban, which would indicate that he stuffed up, but only moderately in the eyes of the leadership group. He accepted responsibility and hopefully will be a better footballer and person for it.

I'll deal with it myself without help from anyone else - because I'm a man and men are strong and independent and stuff

No, men are idiots <_< :lol:

I'm not saying he should have rang DB and cried on the phone. But he should have spoken to someone at the club, explained what had happened and asked to have the morning off. There is no need for a Dr.Phil psychoanalysis!

I can just imagine what would have happened to me, if I decided not to turn up to work, not telling anyone, because I broke up with my boyfriend. I'd probably get fired, or at the very least in a lot of trouble. But if I rang my manager and explained the situation, there would be no problem. At the end of the day, I would need to give an explanation for my absence regardless. Doing so ahead of time, means I wouldn't get into strife.

It's the difference between showing you care about your job, and being an irresponsible child.

Maybe if he rang ahead, he wouldn't have gotten into trouble, and we wouldn't have to go into Round 1 without his services. Unfortunately, when we live in the real world, what we do and how we react to situations impacts people around us. The impact of his actions and decision making, no matter how justified it may seem, have left us a player short come Round 1. So everyone suffer.

Guest Schtacker

I'm not saying he should have rang DB and cried on the phone. But he should have spoken to someone at the club, explained what had happened and asked to have the morning off. There is no need for a Dr.Phil psychoanalysis!

I can just imagine what would have happened to me, if I decided not to turn up to work, not telling anyone, because I broke up with my boyfriend. I'd probably get fired, or at the very least in a lot of trouble. But if I rang my manager and explained the situation, there would be no problem. At the end of the day, I would need to give an explanation for my absence regardless. Doing so ahead of time, means I wouldn't get into strife.

It's the difference between showing you care about your job, and being an irresponsible child.

Maybe if he rang ahead, he wouldn't have gotten into trouble, and we wouldn't have to go into Round 1 without his services. Unfortunately, when we live in the real world, what we do and how we react to situations impacts not just ourselves, but people around us.

Excellent post. All we have to know is this - it was the players, who are some of his best mates, who dished out this punishment. If it was considered to be a reasonable excuse then surely they would have let it slide and none of us would have ever even heard about it. We also know Sylvia has a couple of other strikes next to his name. Clearly this is a bloke whose head is not in the right place.

Guest fatty

Maybe if he rang ahead, he wouldn't have gotten into trouble, and we wouldn't have to go into Round 1 without his services. Unfortunately, when we live in the real world, what we do and how we react to situations impacts people around us. The impact of his actions and decision making, no matter how justified it may seem, have left us a player short come Round 1. So everyone suffer.

Jaded – you make me laugh.

I’m not sure how you can deduce so much from the information available. How do you know he didn’t ring the club and explain that he wasn’t coming in for personal reasons (that’s generally my favourite).

The indisputable fact is a 1am curfew was imposed and he broke it, hence, he is now suspended. Mitigating circumstances do not alleviate him of the player-imposed rule otherwise there’s no reason for having it.

The imposition of the rule is clearly a method to improve the supposed lack of “culture” at the club. Sylvia needs to learn from this. But first and foremost he needs to prove why people salivate over his supposed talent.

The indisputable fact is a 1am curfew was imposed and he broke it, hence, he is now suspended. Mitigating circumstances do not alleviate him of the player-imposed rule otherwise there’s no reason for having it.

How did they know he broke "curfew." Did someone come around and check his bed?

Mitigating circumstances certainly do affect the situation. What if a family member was sick and he wanted to stay at the hospital with them , or he had to rush someone to a hospital etc etc. Clearly if there were mitigating circumstances he would not have been punished.

How did they know he broke "curfew." Did someone come around and check his bed?

The not turning up for training may have been a hint.

It's not unreasonable to assume he probably just admitted to missing the curfew when quizzed about why he didn't turn up for recovery. In his situation I definitely would've just fessed up, just to try and minimise the fallout (and my mummy always told me to tell the truth).

Jaded – you make me laugh.

I'm not sure how you can deduce so much from the information available. How do you know he didn't ring the club and explain that he wasn't coming in for personal reasons (that's generally my favourite).

Would the players have suspended him for missing training and breaking curfew if he was at his girlfriend's house the night before, and rang the club up in the morning to let them know he can't come to training?

Come on, there is a reason he got not only suspended but also fined. I highly doubt it has anything to do with his relationship breakdown.

As was said above, if there were mitigating circumstances he would not have been punished.

The imposition of the rule is clearly a method to improve the supposed lack of “culture” at the club. Sylvia needs to learn from this. But first and foremost he needs to prove why people salivate over his supposed talent.

Correct. Hopefully its a turn point for the kid.

The not turning up for training may have been a hint.

It's not unreasonable to assume he probably just admitted to missing the curfew when quizzed about why he didn't turn up for recovery. In his situation I definitely would've just fessed up, just to try and minimise the fallout (and my mummy always told me to tell the truth).

Correct. I understand he admitted the breach.

We also know Sylvia has a couple of other strikes next to his name.

What other times has he breached team rules? And what relevance to they have to this situation?

Guest Schtacker
Correct. Hopefully its a turn point for the kid.

Correct. I understand he admitted the breach.

What other times has he breached team rules? And what relevance to they have to this situation?

Well there's no point getting into it in detail but since you ask, the club was disappointed that he failed to inform them of a legal process he was involved in. Other 'stories' I have heard/read relate to his personal life which seems to paint a bit of a 'party boy' persona, if you catch my drift. I'm no angel myself and don't buy into the whole reputation/leopard spots deal but I'm just saying it makes it harder for me to believe that there is some innocent motives behind what has transpired.. and besides, as I said, my main point is that his mates would not have done this if there was no call for it

Not to that. Your reference about the ability to sweep undesirable activities of players by the Club under the carpet. There are few areas of privacy for AFL footballers

i don't think there could be a total sweep under the carpet, but some events can be smoothed over. i pointed out an example of 'falling asleep in a nightclub' which sounds alot nicer than 'drunk so much he passed out', sylvia got off very lightly that night considering the crowd he was with.

other incidents have been deemed other peoples fault, only minor or a spin could be perhaps put on it.

i do agree that it wuld be hard to completely ignore an incident as there would be someone calling the club and the newspapers with details. so perhaps we have been pretty well behaved in the past, but unfortunately this last 4-5 months has been incident after incident. we have rarely been in the news for the right reasons.

i don't think there could be a total sweep under the carpet, but some events can be smoothed over. i pointed out an example of 'falling asleep in a nightclub' which sounds alot nicer than 'drunk so much he passed out', sylvia got off very lightly that night considering the crowd he was with.

other incidents have been deemed other peoples fault, only minor or a spin could be perhaps put on it.

i do agree that it wuld be hard to completely ignore an incident as there would be someone calling the club and the newspapers with details. so perhaps we have been pretty well behaved in the past, but unfortunately this last 4-5 months has been incident after incident. we have rarely been in the news for the right reasons.

Whether he was drunk and passed out or fell asleep what public menace was he doing as opposed to speeding, drink driving and fighting? What evidence do you have that he was involved in any of the issues Didak had to deal with? So he was in the same club as Didak. Big deal.

And how did the Club sweep this or anything else under the mat? Given the media love blowing up these stories I dont see how a Club can do it.

Well there's no point getting into it in detail but since you ask, the club was disappointed that he failed to inform them of a legal process he was involved in. Other 'stories' I have heard/read relate to his personal life which seems to paint a bit of a 'party boy' persona, if you catch my drift. I'm no angel myself and don't buy into the whole reputation/leopard spots deal but I'm just saying it makes it harder for me to believe that there is some innocent motives behind what has transpired.. and besides, as I said, my main point is that his mates would not have done this if there was no call for it

I find it hard to convict a player on grapevine hearsay when he has not broken any team rules before the most recent incident. You confuse "stories" gossip and innuendo with facts.

You confuse "stories" gossip and innuendo with facts.

Me too.... and I am not Robinson Crusoe.

You are very astute to sort the wheat from the chaff Rhino!