Melbourne v Western Bulldogs Post Match

45HG

As for our problems, after hearing about Aker's complete carnage of us throughout the game, what does those of you who saw it think of our tagging capacities throughout the season?

It might also mean that DB had other issue to deal with than to tag someone like Aker in a practice match knowing he has run with players like Junior, Barts and even Cameron Bruce around for when the real thing starts.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bailey has one closed training session a week.

In reality it's more than one closed training session. Most of them are closed these days. Mostly, we don't know where they train, when they train, how long and all the rest of it. They could be at Sandy, Bulleen, The Junction Oval, Victoria Park, one of Melbourne's beaches or in my back yard for all we know.

On the main issue of the meaning of pre season results, may I quote a Magpie fan on Extreme Black and White (and yes, I lower my credibility when I do that but I'll take the risk):-

" Never, ever take any notice of pre-season results"

Of course, like us they haven't won one either!

What's your opinion of Egan?

The Melbourne footy staff would give their left nuts to get a CHB of his quality into the team.

I like Egan - he's hard at it and fits in nicely as part of a very tight defensive unit, but he has the benefit of having both Scarlett and Harley to work with, plus the big bodies of Hunt and Rooke (when fit) with Milburn playing as the sweeper.

I still don't see the comparison though. If we'd passed on him with our first pick he would have been gone by our second - who from 2006 are you advocating is a better KPP prospect that we missed? Egan's had three years to develop, Gilbert two, and Jim just the one. The stats from their first season would indicate there's not a lot of difference in it. If your judges have queries about why he won't fill out to be a KPP I'd like to know why. He has height, mobility, speed and courage. His kicking action is ungainly but effective. IMO he reads the play a lot better than many of our other KPP options.

Here's the stats for the three in their first season:

Egan: 15 games avg 6.9 disp and 2.7 marks (2005)

Gilbert 2 games avg 6.5 disp and 1.5 marks (2006)

Frawley 9 games avg 7.4 disp and 2.4 marks. (2007)

Hey Schtacker, any chance you could change your name to "glass half empty"? Just so everyone knows where your coming from before they read your posts.

How about Warnock and Weetra, how did they go Diablo? Weetra is certainly one I'd love to see step us this year.

Both quiet. Warnock was ok down back, but not remarkable, and Weetra wouldn't have had more than 5 touches for the match. He (Weetra) chased hard throughout but always looked a few steps behind the play. He sort of has that 'headless' look about him that alot of younger players have before they find their feet. Will be at Sandy for the first half of the year, I'm sure. Good luck to him, but I'm not convinced just yet. May he make a fool of me.

I like Egan - he's hard at it and fits in nicely as part of a very tight defensive unit, but he has the benefit of having both Scarlett and Harley to work with, plus the big bodies of Hunt and Rooke (when fit) with Milburn playing as the sweeper.

I still don't see the comparison though. If we'd passed on him with our first pick he would have been gone by our second - who from 2006 are you advocating is a better KPP prospect that we missed? Egan's had three years to develop, Gilbert two, and Jim just the one. The stats from their first season would indicate there's not a lot of difference in it. If your judges have queries about why he won't fill out to be a KPP I'd like to know why. He has height, mobility, speed and courage. His kicking action is ungainly but effective. IMO he reads the play a lot better than many of our other KPP options.

Here's the stats for the three in their first season:

Egan: 15 games avg 6.9 disp and 2.7 marks (2005)

Gilbert 2 games avg 6.5 disp and 1.5 marks (2006)

Frawley 9 games avg 7.4 disp and 2.4 marks. (2007)

I wan't comparing them at all.

Your last line doesn't really say much, realistically our many genuine KPP do we have?

I wan't comparing them at all.

Your last line doesn't really say much, realistically our many genuine KPP do we have?

Then I'm completely lost as to the point you're trying to make...

I'd also love to have the likes of Cox, Rutten, Bock, to plug our holes plus a host of other players that were overlooked on more than one occasion by every club in the league.

Our potential KPP backs are Rivers, Carroll, Frawley, Miller, Garland, Holland, Warnock, McNamara and Martin. The first five are probably our best bets to hold down a KPP this year in the back line.

Hello Everyone.

I have just joined Demonland to answer a couple of questions about last Friday's game.

The umpiring was of a consistently low standard that had me shrugging my shoulders and scratching my head in bewilderment for much of the night.

I remember saying over the phone to my brothey Faultydet that the only 50 we gave away that i could understand and agree with was from a late sling tackle just outside 50 by Jamar. (remembering that 3x 50's cost us goals) The others were so bad i just stood there with my mouth open and a very dumb look on my face. Now i know we all look with suspicion on ANY decision that goes against our team, but to have 9 goals scored directly from frees certainly skewed the final result,and made it look worse than it was. (to me anyway.)

I was standing under the broadcast box and at one stage was waved away by the radio people for explaining a little too loudly on the phone to Faultydet just how bad some of the frees against us were.

We were not undisciplined enough to warrant the amount paid against us, so at least we can cling onto that.

Having said that............................ The last, short, quarter we played was atrocious. Very little pressure applied by us, smashed out of the center by Akker, and we looked a little disinterested.

The good points?

Miller was GOOD. He actually read the play a few times and was in the right spot when the ball arrived. Not luck, he actually read the play. Went hard at it too without being over the top and likely to give away dumb frees. Warnock also did some good things.

Flash was great, as were Sylvia and Bate. Moloney looked as good fitness wise as i have ever seen him. (admittedly not that often) Jones IS A GUN.

Meeson was not hopeless but it was strange to see him in the center playing as a rover while Jamar was rucking. (yes, it actually happened a couple of times!)

I thought both Frawley and Petterd looked like players too. At least Frawley has some pace. Our centermen are not quick.

We do have problems in the back half though. I hope the like of Yze (he was soft as butter on Friday) and Green both spend time down back this year. Thats where we need them most.

It was not as bad as the score suggested guys and gals.

injuries permitting, we will win quite a few this year. I am sure of it.

How about Warnock and Weetra, how did they go Diablo? Weetra is certainly one I'd love to see step us this year.

I have only seen the one game on tv so far, but did anyone else get the feeling that Weetra wet his pants when surrounded by Geelong traffic in the 1st game at Cardinia Park? I think he is still too small and lacks toughness at the moment, but maybe others have seen better from the boy?

Welcome and thanks for your efforts and observations ding. They were really appreciated by many posters.

Agreed, cheers for the efforts Ding, both on Friday and today :) !!!