Moloney back on track

Rogue

It's nice to hear some positive injury-related news, in amongst the news that a few other guys aren't going as well as they'd like:

BRENT Moloney is ready to put a horror two years behind him as he enjoys full health, and more importantly a full training schedule, during the Demons' pre-season community camp.

"I just love rocking up to training now," the 24-year-old said from the AIS. “In the past two years I've been restricted to just doing handball exercises on the side; now I'm joining in with the boys and I'm loving it.”

~ MFC article

I think Moloney can be a good player for the Club, and it sounds like things are on the up for him.

It's nice to hear some positive injury-related news, in amongst the news that a few other guys aren't going as well as they'd like:

~ MFC article

I think Moloney can be a good player for the Club, and it sounds like things are on the up for him.

Moloney is a player every team needs. I love moloney as he just goes in hard. He can win the ball with his strength and has good ball reading skills. His punishing 55+ metre kicks can kill the oposition on a dry ground. There is no doubt at all we have missed his presence in the last few yrs. Call me a cinic but i remain questionable over his fitness. Something tells me he will never be the player we hoped to exchance from Thompson but ill pray im wrong

Here's a stat for all you 'Moloney's long kicking is amazing' fans.

In 2005, Brent Moloney had the highest number of turnovers from long kicks which resulted in goals.

So I guess he can kick it long, but where it goes it doesn't really matter... according to that stat.

Awesome player though.

I would not jump the gun on Moloney. He's out with a groin injury.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Default.aspx...mp;newsId=55183

He is still subject to management of his long term OP issue.

I hope he can return to the footy soon. However I am not confident about his future.

He was a promising footballer but was never likely to be better than Scott Thompson. Thompson is an absolute gun and its a pity he returned home.

Demissioner are you saying Moloney's long kicking was indiscriminate leading to turnovers to the opposition? One of his weaknesses was that his disposal was a little one dimensional.

I would not jump the gun on Moloney. He's out with a groin injury.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Default.aspx...mp;newsId=55183

He is still subject to management of his long term OP issue.

I hope he can return to the footy soon. However I am not confident about his future.

He was a promising footballer but was never likely to be better than Scott Thompson. Thompson is an absolute gun and its a pity he returned home.

Demissioner are you saying Moloney's long kicking was indiscriminate leading to turnovers to the opposition? One of his weaknesses was that his disposal was a little one dimensional.

To be fair though, since the problem was exposed he's never been fully fit to play enough football to show that he was capable of adapting his game. My bet is that this is something Dean Bailey would have identified well before he even made his presentation to those involved in selecting him as coach. I'm willing to bet also that you won't see that one-dimensionality (is that word in a dictionary?) once he's up and running.

On another note, the conflict between the first article indicating that Moloney now "enjoys full health" and the second suggesting that he's out with a groin is yet another example of poor communication at the club (both were MFC articles) as was the one that said "Jarryd" (their spelling not mine) Rivers was rested for the Canberra practice game last Friday but this week we're told he's out with a ... you guessed it (groin). If this is a ploy to confuse the opposition or our supporters then it's working. I hope it doesn't have the same effect on our players.

Yes. His disposal is very one dimensional...and when I heard that stat at first I was surprised. However the week after I found out about it I was at our match against the Bulldogs in round 21 of 2005 (The game White kicked the goal that sent us into the finals) and was amazed to find that the Dogs got 3 goals as a direct result of Moloney turning the ball over bombing the ball into our forward 50. Hopefully somebody's told him to take a little more care with maintaining possession, because he has all the attributes to be a more then handy midfielder.

To be fair though, since the problem was exposed he's never been fully fit to play enough football to show that he was capable of adapting his game. My bet is that this is something Dean Bailey would have identified well before he even made his presentation to those involved in selecting him as coach. I'm willing to bet also that you won't see that one-dimensionality (is that word in a dictionary?) once he's up and running.

On another note, the conflict between the first article indicating that Moloney now "enjoys full health" and the second suggesting that he's out with a groin is yet another example of poor communication at the club (both were MFC articles) as was the one that said "Jarryd" (their spelling not mine) Rivers was rested for the Canberra practice game last Friday but this week we're told he's out with a ... you guessed it (groin). If this is a ploy to confuse the opposition or our supporters then it's working. I hope it doesn't have the same effect on our players.

Jack, Moloney and Thompson are different types of players. Thompson is a first dibs predator midfielder. Moloney is not a predatory as Thommo and plays a more outside game. When I compare Thommo's 2004 year with Beamer's 2005 year, Thommo was a far more damaging midfielder. I also think Thommo was more a rounded player in his disposal and defensive skills. Just watching Thommo in Abu Dubai, he has really blossomed into one of the premier AFL midfielders. Moloney would have had to improved a great deal to rival him IMO.

You are right on the communication. I dont mind the cone of silence by the Club. But the issue of contradictory fluffy articles on players and the team does nothing to endure the Club to the supporters. Is this a Club or an AFL issue?

Yes. His disposal is very one dimensional...and when I heard that stat at first I was surprised. However the week after I found out about it I was at our match against the Bulldogs in round 21 of 2005 (The game White kicked the goal that sent us into the finals) and was amazed to find that the Dogs got 3 goals as a direct result of Moloney turning the ball over bombing the ball into our forward 50. Hopefully somebody's told him to take a little more care with maintaining possession, because he has all the attributes to be a more then handy midfielder.

Its a pity he has not got back on the track to show he has broadened his disposal options. He had a promising career ahead of him. He was a very capable performer in 2005 with the some aspects to be improved on in future years to become a better player.

Jack, Moloney and Thompson are different types of players. Thompson is a first dibs predator midfielder. Moloney is not a predatory as Thommo and plays a more outside game. When I compare Thommo's 2004 year with Beamer's 2005 year, Thommo was a far more damaging midfielder. I also think Thommo was more a rounded player in his disposal and defensive skills. Just watching Thommo in Abu Dubai, he has really blossomed into one of the premier AFL midfielders. Moloney would have had to improved a great deal to rival him IMO.

You are right on the communication. I dont mind the cone of silence by the Club. But the issue of contradictory fluffy articles on players and the team does nothing to endure the Club to the supporters. Is this a Club or an AFL issue?

Its a pity he has not got back on the track to show he has broadened his disposal options. He had a promising career ahead of him. He was a very capable performer in 2005 with the some aspects to be improved on in future years to become a better player.

RR, what does the 'cone of silence' policy by the club regarding injuries actually achieve?

RR, what does the 'cone of silence' policy by the club regarding injuries actually achieve?

I dont know if its an official policy by the Club nor is the practice limited to just MFC. Most Clubs are protective of who is injured, extent of injury and basis of rehabilation and date of likely return.

I am aware that some clubs rehabilitate or train key players at locations away from the training ground of the main group to avoid prying eyes of the opposition.

Its all part of a smokescreen to prevent opposition clubs being able to develop and formulate team plans and match ups against your side.

Here's a stat for all you 'Moloney's long kicking is amazing' fans.

In 2005, Brent Moloney had the highest number of turnovers from long kicks which resulted in goals.

So I guess he can kick it long, but where it goes it doesn't really matter... according to that stat.

Awesome player though.

I've always thought his kicking will not only improve with age and maturity, but it's something the right coach and forward-line can exploit, if they use their brains... And hey... Of the current list, there aren't many that can roost a ball from inside the square and have it go through as regularly as he does. Maybe Bater? Definitely Sylvia if fit...

Moloney has played 63 games and kicked 14 goals. :unsure:

Ay Carumba...whats happening to our midfield?

And who do you think will play through the centre come Saturday?

Candidates: Jones, Valenti, Dunn, Bell, Sylvia, Morton, Yze...who else...will we rest Junior now that McLean, Bruce and Moloney have their feet up?

I dont know if its an official policy by the Club nor is the practice limited to just MFC. Most Clubs are protective of who is injured, extent of injury and basis of rehabilation and date of likely return.

I am aware that some clubs rehabilitate or train key players at locations away from the training ground of the main group to avoid prying eyes of the opposition.

Its all part of a smokescreen to prevent opposition clubs being able to develop and formulate team plans and match ups against your side.

It doesn't happen in any other football code and is a an embarassment to our code. We're 6 weeks away from the season proper, so what's the point? And if coaches don't have contingency plans based on who's in or out of the opposition team, they shouldn't be in the job.

My belief is that the club is trying to put a positive spin in order to attract members. DB came out yesterday and said that out of the senior list, only McLean and Bruce would miss the game against the Cats with injury, and that Neitz is 50/50. We'll see if he's true to his word.

If the club wants to treat it's supporters likes fools, our membership will drop rather than grow, because I'm sick to death of our club having so many 426's on our list!

It doesn't happen in any other football code and is a an embarassment to our code.

How do you know? I have noticed situations in the past in RL, ARU and soccer where it happens. The uncertainty of an injured player is just another variable to keep the opposition guessing. Its not a be all and end all

However the conflicting fluffy article are not good for impressions on supporters.

Regardless there are likely to be other players missing.

How do you know? I have noticed situations in the past in RL, ARU and soccer where it happens. The uncertainty of an injured player is just another variable to keep the opposition guessing. Its not a be all and end all

However the conflicting fluffy article are not good for impressions on supporters.

Regardless there are likely to be other players missing.

RR this is crap, and you obviously don't follow the other sports. I work in the sports betting industry, and understand the importance of players injury status. The AFL IS the only football code that seems to think that there is an advantage in keeping the opposition guessing.

DB came out yesterday and said that out of the senior list, only McLean and Bruce would miss the game against the Cats with injury, and that Neitz is 50/50. We'll see if he's true to his word.

Missing through injury and missing through management and preparation for round 1 can be 2 different things, yeah ?

Missing through injury and missing through management and preparation for round 1 can be 2 different things, yeah ?

True, but then just come out and say that, without misleading the supporters into thinking that we'll have close to a full side. Also, do you expect the likes of Rivers, Whelan, Wheatley, Dunn and Bartram to play in round 1 without playing a preseason game?

Exacty.

Most of the players current 'missing' are more of a 'rested' issue than actually injured.

Moloney romped along at the intra-club, and his disposal showed great vision too. I honestly thought BOG.

For the rest, the example would be Neitz and Robertson who were in the stands with ice for the last part of training on the wednesday, but mostly just milked it so that people would pass them stuff instead of having to get it themsleves. ;)

There ain't no crisis.

RR this is crap, and you obviously don't follow the other sports. I work in the sports betting industry, and understand the importance of players injury status. The AFL IS the only football code that seems to think that there is an advantage in keeping the opposition guessing.

Not as closely as AFL but I recall the hand in glove tactics with Kewell in the World Cup and also with potential injured players in RU internationals.

Also, do you expect the likes of Rivers, Whelan, Wheatley, Dunn and Bartram to play in round 1 without playing a preseason game?

No. They would have had to have had some gametime, whether that be NAB Cup, or Challenger Series.

Exacty.

Most of the players current 'missing' are more of a 'rested' issue than actually injured.

Moloney romped along at the intra-club, and his disposal showed great vision too. I honestly thought BOG.

For the rest, the example would be Neitz and Robertson who were in the stands with ice for the last part of training on the wednesday, but mostly just milked it so that people would pass them stuff instead of having to get it themsleves. ;)

There ain't no crisis.

I would have thought the resting of a senior player like Neitz given his age but I would have thought a player like Moloney would have benefitted from getting as much pre season exposure after missing nearly two years of footy. If player cannot come up one week after playing an intra clu scratch game then how is he going to go in the real thing.

What we dont know is if through his program he will have built sufficient fitness to recover week to week. However, given its six weeks to start of the H&A, he would want to progress a little.

I am not sure why they are necessarily resting Robbo on the same basis as Neitz.

Actually I think RR is right. If there is a tactical advantage to be gained by keeping an injury quiet any code would do so. Thurstans in the ARL played most of last year with a shoulder injury, unbeknown to the opposition for fear they would target and try to exploit it.

Wheather you like it or not professional sport is highly competitive and clubs of all codes will do all in their power to ensure their chances of success is not comprimised. Even if that means not disclosing the full details of player injuries to fans and of course the opposition.