Your Picks for the NAB Cup Opener

The Emblem

On the basis that the following aren't ready to play yet [and some of these assumptions may be quite wrong :blink:

Whelan, Rivers, Bartram, Bruce, Wheatley, Mclean, Pettard, Yze, Carroll [not a bad list that]

and that we may rest Junior & Robbo

B: Bode Holland Frawley

HB: Buckley Newton Johnson.C

C: Green Moloney Bate

HF: Weetra Miller Davey

F: Wonaemirri Dunn Johnson.P

R: Meeson, Jones, Bell

I/C White, Valenti, Sylvia, Warnock, Garland, Neitz, Cheney, Morton

Go ahead and laugh...you've every right to...just interested to hear who you may think will line up and where

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why thank you kindly deanox

back on topic. newton down back is interesting. it is a technique often used to teach CHFs however i would like to see him played up forward to gain more confidence at afl level. he can jump he can mark he can kick. he has to do it all consistantly.

i am happy whatever the side as long as we see lots of the younger players play (ie the draftees, the rookies) and some of the players coming back from injury (ie rivers and moloney). i understand not everyones available, but hopefully some get on the park.

this is my prefered team to play first game of the NAB cup.

this is based on not playing any players who aren't ready due to restricted preseasons, giving the youngsters a go, as well as resting the veterans...

i also think it is crucial to play players in the NAB cup in the same position they will play during the real season. this is supposed to be preperation for the real season, so may as well make the most of it.

Bell Frawley Garland

Morton Rivers Pettard

Sylvia Mclean Bate

Buckley Miller Moloney

Weetra Newton Davey

Meesan Jones Green

int: Stephan Martin, Winnemawera, Maric, Bode, Valenti, P.Johnson

I would choose to rest veterans in Neitz, Robbo, White, Yze and Holland (even tho Yze had apparently ripped up this preseason).

i would play Miller at CHF. Give Bate and Sylvia time in the midfield bc apparently they both are moving there for 2008.

youngsters in Weetra, Martin, Maric, Morton, Valenti and Winnemawera all should be given a taste.

Frawley to play of the best forward!!!

Garland apprently had a super pre-season and has gotten much public praise from Bailey, and should be given real game time

On the basis that the following aren't ready to play yet [and some of these assumptions may be quite wrong :blink:

Whelan, Rivers, Bartram, Bruce, Wheatley, Mclean, Pettard, Yze, Carroll [not a bad list that]

Go ahead and laugh...you've every right to...just interested to hear who you may think will line up and where

Put Newton at FF, Warnock at CHB, and Dunn on-ball. Otherwise DeeReaming, you've done a stirling job.

Whelan, Rivers, Bartram, Bruce, Wheatley, Mclean, Pettard, Yze, Carroll [not a bad list that] and that we may rest Junior & Robbo

How 'bout this :-

HB: Bell Rivers Green

C: Moloney Yze Bate

HF: Sylvia Miller Davey

F: Newton Neitz Wonaemirri

R: White Jones McDonald

Int: PMeeson Petterd Dunn Valenti Morton Buckley Weetra Martin CJohnson

When I saw Newton down back I went "yikes". But the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Rather than clutter up a forward line containing Robbo, Neitz, Miller, swapping with Bate, Sylvia and Dunn... WHy not teach him a KP defender mentality while we still can, before we're RELYING on him to play as a target.

It'll teach him the mentality of a defender which will help him to combat players like this, as well as make him still accountable if he's ever dragged up the ground by his opposition.

Based on the player positions during the practice match and Bailey's comments regarding fitness, here's my NAB Cup first XXVI:

BL: Bell Holland Frawley

HB: Buckley Miller Green

CL: Bode Moloney Bate

HF: Sylvia Newton Davey

FF: Robertson Neitz Wonaemirri

R: White McDonald Jones

IC: Meesen, P.Johnson, Yze, Valenti, Martin, Weetra, Garland, Morton,

Neitz shouldn't play to earlywith a lot of footy coming up. My team

Bode Frawley Martin

Green Garland Bell

Davey Jones Buckley

Sylvia Miller Bate

Weetra Newton Robertson

White McDonald Moloney

Meesen, Morton, Valenti, C Johnson, Holland, Yze, Wonaemirri, Maric

let's see, newton, a high-flying key position player that can kick striaght and sit on defenders heads..u'd be a fool to put him in the backline

Training future KP forwards as defenders has been used to GREAT effect in the past. Juice was played all over the place at Sandy... One of ND's strengths was that he was a good developer of players... He certainly had Juice playing a variety of roles so that he could be more flexible in the future.

We have the luxury of time with Michael... It's not at all "foolish" to use him in this way. ANd if you read my above post and respond to it, you may want to consider the crowded nature of our forwardline. Putting Juice in there for one quarter a game every so often is not necessarily the best thing for his overall development. He's still a long way off dominating the competition just yet.

I'd like to see Dunn play back at some stage this pre-season.

I remember before Dunn was drafted he played CHB in junior comp! Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also (as an aside) I remember someone saying that he had a reputation as something of a hothead before he came to the Dee's. Anyway he certainly seems quite cool and calm thesedays.

But, I'm not sure he will be seen in the opening match, apparently has a bit of a niggle in the hamstring or groin area.

Neitz also out of contention I believe.

If Dunn bulked up a bit, he could easily become a mobile KPP rather than a flanker.

if he could be developed into a defender, CHB would be a great option. he reads the play well, is skillful, and has elite endurance

problem with dunn at CHB is, he is no bigger quicker stronger better than jared rivers is in that position

we need martin or garland to fill out and take CHB by the balls, as so dunn/rivers can go to the HBF and play their 3rd man up/quarterback role to perfection

NAB Cup v Geelong Grand Final Team 08

B: Bell Holland Frawley B: Bell Carroll Frawley

HB: Green Miller Davey HB: Green Rivers Dunn

C: Bate Moloney Morton C: Bate McLean Morton

HF: Sylvia Dunn Weetra HF: Sylvia Newton Miller

F: Wonarmirri Robbo P Johnson F: Davey Neitz Robbo

R: White, Jones, Buckley R: White, Jones, Bruce

I/C Garland, Yze, Valenti, Meeson I/C: Meeson, McDonald, Moloney, Petterd

Unlucky: Yze (No longer in best 22) PJ (Just no room with Neitz and Robbo playing all 25 games)

Buckley (Couldn't squeeze into a fully fit midfield)

I can't see us losing!

Not true. He kicked a few goals playing in the SANFL last year, and played forward more often than back.

DB is on record as saying that Wonaeamirri's most outstanding quality is providing defensive pressure in the forward half

That may be where some have interpreted him as being a defender.

I feel that the club has deliberately gone after Wonaeamirri as the type of player that can replace Byron and his qualities.

Byron injected that similar element of defensive pressure in and around goals, and that was such a massive boost to the team when Byron arrived.

You could pretty much build a side around these qualities I reckon, and we are in a good position to achieve this with Wonaeamirri, Weetra and Davey - all chasing down opponents and trapping the ball in the forward half. Newton has shown he is good at this too.

Here is the side I would like to see in the NAB cup.

B: Bell, Frawley, Whelan

HB: Davey, Rivers, Grimes

C: Morton, Buckley, Moloney

HF: Green, Miller, Bate

F: Weetra, Newton, Yze

R: Meeson, Jones, Sylvia

Inter: Woenamirri, White, Bode, Valenti, Martin, Yze.

Backline reasons!

I want Frawley on who im assuming will be Hawkins.

Rivers on Mooney.

I want Davey to be coached by Bailey to be the next Burgoyne, streaming off half back flank. Grimes is gonna be great for us, I feel he will be this years Petterd.

Midfield reasons!

I rate Buckley HIGHLY.

I say throw a fitter Sylvia and Meeson in there. Lets see what they can bring early. Please be good Meeson. Morton playing a Cameron Bruce role.

Forward line Reasons!

I wanna see what a energised Miller can do at CHF.

Throw Newton at FF, continue to develop him as the future FF, don't take him up the ground.

Give Weetra a run and see what he can produce.

Another observation!

I have very high hopes for Woenamirri so bring him on fresh and see him run down everyone (the next Byron.... the good bits about him).

I wanna see what Yze can deliver very early.