Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne's Draft Picks (merged topic)

Jarka

I have to admit something, I love this time of the year. The trading of players and picks, the analysis of the lists and the discussions about the next group of kids coming through helps keeps me excited about the next season. I also love reading and listening to all the different views and theories floating around, especially the u18's, so I've decided to dedicate this thread to all the oracles out there. Here is a list of all the different precdictions of who we're going to take with our first 3 picks:

Pick 4

Cotchin

Morton

Masten

Ebert

Palmer

Henderson

McEvoy

Rance

Pick 14

Grant

Pears

Gourdis

Collier

Gaertner

Scott Simpson

Pick 21

Grimes

Ward

Bellchambers

Veszpremi

Tarrant

Gaertner

:lol:

heh, one interesting thing is that the general view is that we will go tall with our second pick.

Pretty good list of names there.

I am pretty sure that our number four pick will come from Cotchin, Morton or Masten. Any of the three would be great as they all play different brands of footy.

Cotchin is more of a HFF at the moment who may develop into a gun midfielder.

Morton is a tall midfielder/HBF with exquisite skills.

Masten the inside and outside midfielder who got the ball mostly for Palmer in the Champs. Has OP at the moment which is a downside.

I am thinking that we are most probable to get Masten out of these three. He was captain for WA and won the Best and Fairest for his junior footy club four years running. An absolute athletic freak who will keep running and get his own ball. Only down side is his height at 170 and that he has OP

I agree Jarka, all the new faces and the analysis is exciting and interesting for me as well.

As I said in another thread, I think David Myers could come right into our thinking at Pick 4. Much like Morton, a Tall HBF/Mid with lovely skills. His skills don't stand up to Morton's, but he makes up for it with better body size and more of a willingness to commit his body. He has good pace too.

If we are lucky enough to have the option to take Veszpremi at 21 we should be doing somersaults down the street. People seem to ignore him because he didn't play at the U18s (broken thumb I think), but by all reports he is quick, hard, and pretty skillful. I think he will go alot earlier than many people think.

I agree with No16, we will most likely get Masten at No. 4, or Morton if Richmond don't take him. Pick 14 is wide open at this stage. Though we could understandably go tall, I would hate to think we would pass on a hot prospect like Veszpremi, should he still be around.

There's a part of me that wishes we had picks 7 and 8 instead of 14 and 4.

That way, we would be better placed to fill needs at the same time as taking best available, with a good chance of ending up with Rance and McEvoy. Obviously I'd hardly complain about a Cotchin or Palmer, but I'd rather have two top(ish) picks in this draft than one super-top and one just off the top. Just a quirk of the options and my desire for everything to work out smoothly without anxiety.

I agree with distance demon. It would be interesting if a trade like that ever happened (closest being WCE and WB this year - very sneaky indeed by the dogs).

I am hoping for cotchin first but I highly doubt he will slip. But I think Morton is a very realistic chance and I would love to get him as after losing Johnstone and our recent drafting of pack-busting players, I think we are lacking a bit of class which he would bring to the team. I don't subscribe to the idea that Richmond will take him and that is why they traded for his brother - I think they will go for cotchin and WCE may favour Masten, leaving morton to us. I don't want Palmer. I would be very happy with henderson as well. I haven't seen him play but its not that often that you get the chance to pick up a very highly rated KPP.

So basically I'm hoping for Morton, if available, or Henderson, if fully recovered from injury and deserving of pick 4, or Masten (go home factor and OP are worries though), in that order.

I agree with distance demon. It would be interesting if a trade like that ever happened (closest being WCE and WB this year - very sneaky indeed by the dogs).

I am hoping for cotchin first but I highly doubt he will slip. But I think Morton is a very realistic chance and I would love to get him as after losing Johnstone and our recent drafting of pack-busting players, I think we are lacking a bit of class which he would bring to the team. I don't subscribe to the idea that Richmond will take him and that is why they traded for his brother - I think they will go for cotchin and WCE may favour Masten, leaving morton to us. I don't want Palmer. I would be very happy with henderson as well. I haven't seen him play but its not that often that you get the chance to pick up a very highly rated KPP.

So basically I'm hoping for Morton, if available, or Henderson, if fully recovered from injury and deserving of pick 4, or Masten (go home factor and OP are worries though), in that order.

We've received an article from a Demon supporter who works inside the Under 18 system on this very topic. It's being workshopped in conjunction with Whispering Jack and we'll put it out in two parts - the first in the next day or so with possibles for Pick 4 followed by 14 and 21. It's interesting stuff from someone who's seen most of the locals and the interstaters during the Under 18 Carnival.

My thoughts exactly. With one/combination of Gaertner, Gourdis, Pears, Callan Ward and Vezpremi with our remaining picks.

Recorded the U/18 champs this year so have analysed them quite heavily. This is the way I see it panning out for us, assuming that Kreuzer, Morton and Cotchin go top three (which is almost certain to be the case). Hope you can see the rationale behind my selections and if this happened for real on November 24th, I'd be ecstatic. Cheers.

Pick 4 > Melbourne - David Myers - 190cm 85kgs - Perth (Utility)

Myers is a utility in every sense of the word. IMO he is the best all round footballer in this year's crop. Myers displays leadership, maturity beyond his years, and elite skills coming off the half back flank, or running through the midfield; where he is more then capable of matching it with the best. His pace is decent for 190cm, as is his agility. Will be a 200+ game player for whoever the lucky club that picks this gem of a footballer up. Cool in a crisis, Myers seems to have more time then anybody else on the field. Craig Cameron won't be able to wipe the grin off his face if the Dees get Myers, neither should all Melbourne supporters.

Comparisons - Taller version of Dal Santo, Adcock.

Others we may look at with this pick - Morton or Cotchin if they slide, Palmer, Masten.

Pick 14 > Melbourne - Tayte Pears - 192cm 90kgs - East Perth (Key Back)

We need to take a Key Back with this pick, and assuming Rance is gone, Pears is our man. He only managed to enhance his reputation as one of the finest key back's in this years bunch potential draftees. His superb U/18 championships capped off a fine year for East Perth. A key defender who wasn't far off AIS selection last year, Pears was certainly been one of the more impressive defenders over the course of this years carnival. His reading of the play, sound skills, and penetrating rebound off the backline are his trademarks. On paper, his height of 192cm can be deceiving, as he plays much taller then that reading suggests. Frawley, Rivers and Pears controlling the backline in years to come should have CAC licking his chops.

Comparisons - A more mobile Jared Rivers

Others we make look at with this pick - Alex Rance if he slides, David Gourdis.

Pick 21 > Melbourne - Pat Veszpremi - 183cm 83kgs - Northern Knights (Mid)

Taking a utility with Pick 4 and a key back with 14, Melbourne will take this tough nut midfielder at 21. All AA last year and missed the champs this year. Watched a bit of TAC cup over the past couple of years and think this bloke will become a star AFL footballer, can play anywhere, put him forward and he kicks a bag; as was displayed with his superb 8 goal performance late in the year. When he plays back he provides terrific run and when in the middle can accumulate large possession numbers as well as kick long goals. Loves to break the lines and rarely loses out in a 1 on 1 contest. He doesn't leave anything on the footy field, an attribute most coaches love as mentors.

Comparisons - Daniel Harris with more skill and goalkicking nouse.

Others we may look at with this pick - Scott Selwood, Steven Gaertner, Scott Simpson

Pick 53 > Melbourne - Jay Bowden 184cm 74 cm - Tasmania (Mid)

Jay Bowden had super championships and I think he would be a great fit for us. Good size, very stylish player who moves across the park well and is a very good user of the ball. Brings others players into the game by frequently drawing opposition to him in a contest – not unlike a Pendlebury or a Dal Santo. Which an abundance of the in and under 'grunt' players such as McLean, Jones, and McDonald, Melbourne could really use an outside finisher now that TJ is gone. This bloke could very well go higher.

Comparisons - Tambling; he has the potential to explode but still lacks a bit of hardness.

Others we may look at with this pick - Guy O'Keefe, Travis Dulic

Guest MFC4Life

I must admit, word of Myers potential and ability in the past few weeks has been gathering speed. but i'm intrigued Dee, how do you compare him to Masten, Palmer, Morton and Ebert? All 4 of these kids have been given massive wraps, especially Masten.

Are you also Tommyneu on Bigfooty? (not that I ever go there or anything :rolleyes: )

I watched the U/18s as well, though the only game I managed to record was the Metro vs WA game at Subi.

I think that outcome would be a dream, with the only possible improvement being Rance sliding to 14 (more likely than many think, if you ask me).

Myers is a bit of a cult figure over at Bigfooty, haha. And from what I've seen, theres good cause for it. I was very impressed with his half-back play against Metro. His decision-making and then execution (especially by foot) in particular seemed at times immaculate. Some of his kicks could be construed as risky, but every time I was thinking 'oh dear', he'd hit somebody on the chest. He seems to be reasonably pacey, which makes me think he'll be more of a wingman in the future, able to range back and forth. He had WA's top-gun midfield to hide behind against Metro, so I didn't get to see too much of his defensive work, but he looks like he could be a real gun charging down the wing.

If Veszpremi falls to 21 I'll be doing cartwheels. He sounds like a real ripper. Decent speed, hard as nails, and deadly going forward.

Would definitely be delighted if this was the way it panned out on the 24th, Deemissioner.

Are you also Tommyneu on Bigfooty? (not that I ever go there or anything :rolleyes: )

I watched the U/18s as well, though the only game I managed to record was the Metro vs WA game at Subi.

I think that outcome would be a dream, with the only possible improvement being Rance sliding to 14 (more likely than many think, if you ask me).

Myers is a bit of a cult figure over at Bigfooty, haha. And from what I've seen, theres good cause for it. I was very impressed with his half-back play against Metro. His decision-making and then execution (especially by foot) in particular seemed at times immaculate. Some of his kicks could be construed as risky, but every time I was thinking 'oh dear', he'd hit somebody on the chest. He seems to be reasonably pacey, which makes me think he'll be more of a wingman in the future, able to range back and forth. He had WA's top-gun midfield to hide behind against Metro, so I didn't get to see too much of his defensive work, but he looks like he could be a real gun charging down the wing.

If Veszpremi falls to 21 I'll be doing cartwheels. He sounds like a real ripper. Decent speed, hard as nails, and deadly going forward.

Would definitely be delighted if this was the way it panned out on the 24th, Deemissioner.

Most Definitely am Tommyneu :). I first saw Myers play for East Perth during the year and at the time I remember thinking he was a certainty to go top 30. After the nationals I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't get him at 4, as there is no way in hell he will slip to 14. During the champs what impressed me the most about him was not only his elite skills but his willingness to put his head over it when required. Even if Morton was available, I think Myers is the tougher version of him and by no means would I be disappointed if we picked him over Morton; that said, Morton's finishing skills are something else. Such a balance between sticking your head over the ball and outside finishing skills can be found in players such as Dal Santo and Adcock. He's a really exciting prospect. I too would be doing cartwheels down the westgate if we got Vez at 21! He could go higher, but him missing the nationals will see him slide to the second round IMO. In response to MFC4Life, it's tough to compare the players you've mentioned with Myers. I would be reluctant to touch Masten or Ebert with their Osteitis Pubis. It's affected Sylvia so badly that it's kind of put me off drafting players known to have it. That said, they are both quality players when fit...but I'd still lean towards Myers based on what he can offer to our playing group. We have enough in and under types like Masten and Palmer is not worthy of top 5 IMO. In response to Freak, Pears is a smaller 'Key Back' but he plays taller then his height suggests. Height wouldn't be a worry. If Rance was available we would snap him up but Pears is more then capable.

Recorded the U/18 champs this year so have analysed them quite heavily. This is the way I see it panning out for us, assuming that Kreuzer, Morton and Cotchin go top three (which is almost certain to be the case). Hope you can see the rationale behind my selections and if this happened for real on November 24th, I'd be ecstatic. Cheers.

Pick 4 > Melbourne - David Myers - 190cm 85kgs - Perth (Utility)

Pick 14 > Melbourne - Tayte Pears - 192cm 90kgs - East Perth (Key Back)

Pick 21 > Melbourne - Pat Veszpremi - 183cm 83kgs - Northern Knights (Mid)

Pick 53 > Melbourne - Jay Bowden 184cm 74 cm - Tasmania (Mid)

I hadn't heard much of Myers except that he was good and a definate first round pick, but you make him sound credible.

Like Freak, I worry about Pears' height, we have a lot of 190-193cm players running around. Still, he's a teenager - if your starting point arriving at AFL is to be the exactly same size and weight as Jared Rivers, you'd hope a few seasons of growing and training will add a little.

Veszpremi is touted as a first round, but if he's available at 21 then I'd be happy with that. Other than that, I'd be thinking of taking yet another potential KP defender. Perhaps the genuine tall that Freak is looking for. We have an interesting height structure, actually, big jump from Meeson, Holland, Jamar and PJ, then straight down to White at 195 and it's all 192-3 and a whole host of 190cm utilities. I'd be keen to bring in a genuine tall player with good general skills and attitude as a future gorilla-keeper fullback. Maybe pick 21 can be the next step in the 'Alistair Nicholson best pick 22 ever' story. ;)

All up, I like your choices. Definately adjusts to the new position of not really looking to use a high draft pick on a ruck. That's obviously not the plan when we have four ruckmen all over 21 already. Speculatives and rookies might see another.

Most Definitely am Tommyneu :). I first saw Myers play for East Perth during the year and at the time I remember thinking he was a certainty to go top 30. After the nationals I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't get him at 4, as there is no way in hell he will slip to 14. During the champs what impressed me the most about him was not only his elite skills but his willingness to put his head over it when required. Even if Morton.

I too would be doing cartwheels down the westgate if we got Vez at 21! He could go higher, but him missing the nationals will see him slide to the second round IMO.

We have enough in and under types like Masten and Palmer is not worthy of top 5 IMO. agreed

In response to Freak, Pears is a smaller 'Key Back' but he plays taller then his height suggests. Height wouldn't be a worry. If Rance was available we would snap him up but Pears is more then capable.

'Deemissioner' Q? @ pick 14, out of Pears/ Rance/ Henderson/ Gourdis, which IYO is the best player?

'Deemissioner' Q? @ pick 14, out of Pears/ Rance/ Henderson/ Gourdis, which IYO is the best player?

If we were looking to take a Key Back, Rance is slightly better then Pears; but doubt he will be available at 14.

If we were looking to take a Key Forward, I think Henderson has it over Gourdis as far as we're concerned as he's a local with just as much talent and stickier hands. If we could fix up his kicking technique we could have a real weapon inside the forward 50.

If we were looking at taking the best available regardless of position, I think Henderson is a wonderful prospect and we most definitely need a long term replacement for Neitz at Full Forward. Gourdis is a more rangy type who can drift up the ground whereas Henderson has Full Forward written all over him, granted his kicking improves. I hope that answers your question. At 14 I took Pears because I believe the other 3 will be gone.

richmonds pick will determine ours...

they pick cotchin, we get morton

they pick morton, its an open pick

id love them to pick morton, and WCE go in with a little memory of Chris Judd and pick masten or palmer, leaving us cotchin :P

but, this is how it will go...

Pick 4 - Morton

Pick 14 - Rance

Pick 21 - Gaertner

theres our gun outside midfielder for the next 10 years, and our full back and CHB as well

it seems we will 100% pick up a KPP with pick 14...

The best ones availabel in order of preference- (though maybe CAC rates them differently, and he would know much more than me).

1) Henderson (CHF)

2) Mcevoy (KPP/Ruck)- he'd be ideale because could become an Otten-esk ruckman, killing our key forward problems and ruck problems with one stone

3) Rance (FB)

4) Gourdis (CHF)

5) Jarrod Grant (key forward)

6) Tayte Pears (key back)

7) Tom Collier (CHB)

atleast 3 of these 7 will be available, so we have a very strong chance of getting a quality key position player to add to our stocks.

at pick 21, best available. i'm hoping for Grimes, Selwood or Veszpreme, but if CAC decides to go for another KPP, then a guy like Scott Simpson or Geartner could be good additions

I'm dreaming that all the right players will slide -

There are plenty of theories suggesting Cotchin could drop to 4, slim as the chance is.

Many have predicted Rance as a slider...

I've seen Pears touted around the early second round a number of times...

It might seem a bit much to go with two KP Defenders, but lets face it we're still looking for a True CHB and a true FB.

Holland will chugg along but isn't going to be no1 FB on a regular basis, I think Carroll would love to be released to be a rebounding tall (and lets not forget that Carroll isn't actually all that young, 27 now?), and Rivers we all know plays best given as independent a role as possible, rather than directly holding an opponent.

Rance seems to be destined for fullback, Rivers, Pears and Frawley are all quite flexible, and all four are noted for reading the play and playing smart football.

They could become a stunning set of tall, mobile defenders, with the prospect of being the best Melbourne has ever had.

Unfortunately I've got a feeling of impending disappointment about this draft. We have a number of high picks but none really high enough to be guarenteed of getting what we want/need.

Pick 4 will be a compromise pick. Ideally, we'd probably want Cotchin but will probably end up with Masten or Palmer.

Pick 14 we're probably looking for the best available KPP (Rance or Henderson). Who knows what we'll end up with here but I reckon both Rance and Henderson will be long gone by this stage of the draft. Maybe we'll settle for Tate Pears?

Pick 21 we're looking for a smoky here I guess, its certainly not a high enough pick to be really confident about.

If things turn out the way I'd like heres a shortlist of players I'd be really keen to play for the Dees:

Cotchin, Myers, Rance, Morton, (smoky Dangerfield)