Chris Masten

Pinball Wizard

The player many judges believe to be the next best player outside the big three draft prospects in Kreuzer, Morton and Cotchin is Chris Masten who is built on the Ben Cousins model.

I think it will be a close call for the Weagles between home grown Masten and Victorian Trent Cotchin - either way, we win a top footballer.

Very impressive young man. Said his dream would be to play with the Eagles. He may get his wish. At least they would know he is not heading home after two years. Interesting to hear him say his two favourite players were Jacko and Woosher and also that he has modelled his game on Cousins. He could be the replacement for him.

Very impressive young man. Said his dream would be to play with the Eagles. He may get his wish. At least they would know he is not heading home after two years. Interesting to hear him say his two favourite players were Jacko and Woosher and also that he has modelled his game on Cousins. He could be the replacement for him.

I wonder how much the Eagles would be influenced by the "go home" factor now that they've had the effect of the Chri$ Judd defection? Life might be easier for them to go for the kid from their own back yeard rather than someone who might not be happy about moving half way across the continent.

I wonder how much the Eagles would be influenced by the "go home" factor now that they've had the effect of the Chri$ Judd defection? Life might be easier for them to go for the kid from their own back yeard rather than someone who might not be happy about moving half way across the continent.

Well I'd prefer Cotchin so if that's the case, it is good news!

The player many judges believe to be the next best player outside the big three draft prospects in Kreuzer, Morton and Cotchin is Chris Masten who is built on the Ben Cousins model.

I think it will be a close call for the Weagles between home grown Masten and Victorian Trent Cotchin - either way, we win a top footballer.

This kid is a gem, would be very happy to have him in the middle in Red & Blue for the next decade.

As Pinball stated either way we are getting a star @ 4 in this draft.

... based on the fact that he was the best midfielder at the carnival?

Yes he was in red hot form, but who was feeding him? The fact is WA were far and away the best side at this year's carnival, with winners all over the park. I think Palmer will be a good midfielder, but I am concerned that it is very much a case of the old chesnut, 'Form is temporary, Class is permanent'. He was in terrific form at the U18s, but I just don't really get the impression that he will be anything more than a very solid midfielder. Masten has an element of brilliance in his inside work, and could become anything.

Incidentally, I'm currently 70% of the way through downloading the WA vs Vic Metro game (WA's only remote challenge at the U18s), so it will be interesting to see how both these two go. I'm also interested to watch Cale Morton, since theres a chance he might fall to us. It'll also help me get my footy fix :P

... based on the fact that he was the best midfielder at the carnival?

Palmer just lacks that bit of class. He looks like Brent Guerra, or an oversized Garry Moorcroft. I expect a bit of class with pick 4. I'm not saying Palmer won't be quite good, but I suspect he'll be more run of the mill once he hits AFL level.

Masten or Ebert for me.

Palmer just lacks that bit of class. He looks like Brent Guerra, or an oversized Garry Moorcroft. I expect a bit of class with pick 4. I'm not saying Palmer won't be quite good, but I suspect he'll be more run of the mill once he hits AFL level.

Masten or Ebert for me.

i hope hes better than moorcroft

As far as I can gather, no other Trent played for vic metro so probably is him. Copped a fair spray.

And that's a pretty poor effort from the coach knowing the cameras were whirring away. Very ordinary to do that sort of thing in the circumstances.

yeah i reckon but he copped it on the chin, didnt answer back...i dont think hes done anything wrong, i mean i understnad there is the pride in his club but they are all playing to hopefully get into the AFL and that is abig thing. it doesnt mean that he will be the same in a couple of years.

I would much rather cotchin and if it came down to it palmer or masten i would much rather palmer because we have enough feeders and need some outside pace, i also think masten is an absolute [censored], it may not show in that video but some of the things he has done over here in the west dosent exactly show great character.

I would much rather cotchin and if it came down to it palmer or masten i would much rather palmer because we have enough feeders and need some outside pace, i also think masten is an absolute [censored], it may not show in that video but some of the things he has done over here in the west dosent exactly show great character.

Elaborate on Masten please... His character can't be too questionable if he has been the captain of just about everything since he was about 14. I don't think Palmer's 'pace' is so great. It's handy without being game-breaking.

I have pm u diablo coz i don't wanna dish dirt over the net and am not 100% sure of the truth of it all, but i just dont really like him. He will most probably be a good player though.

Palmer is a ball carrier that kicks goals has reasonable pace, we need a goal kicking ball carrying midfielder.

I have pm u diablo coz i don't wanna dish dirt over the net and am not 100% sure of the truth of it all, but i just dont really like him. He will most probably be a good player though.

Palmer is a ball carrier that kicks goals has reasonable pace, we need a goal kicking ball carrying midfielder.

I agree we do. I've watched the Vic Metro vs WA game a couple of times now and he certainly is impressive, don't get me wrong. But his pace is not tackle-breaking, and whilst his kicking is decent, it certainly isn't anything special. You can't deny his ability to find the football however, he is willing to win it on his own when necessary, and he has a nice 'jink' on him, which is usually beneficial for a goal-kicking midfielder. I think he'll be a good player, but I don't think he'll be the answer to our midfield woes.

Masten, tossbag or not, strikes me as a smart footballer. He seems to be able to just pluck the ball from a scrimmage, and his handball use is very clever. Masten's kicking, which seems to be the object of most of the criticism he receives, was very decent in the VM vs WA game. He is certainly not Cale Morton with the lace-out 40m passes, but he can kick a decent drop punt 50m without too much trouble.

I would take Masten ahead of Palmer, though I would take Morton ahead of both in a heartbeat.

Palmer may have more pace and he may be more the type we need, but from what I've read Masten is better. I'd take the better player every time.

Masten, Ebert, Palmer, or if we were terribly lucky (and I know it won't happen) Cotchin.

Anyway you look at it, it looks like a very good young midfielder is heading our way.