2008 Fixture

Demons 32

Guest unstable punt
I never worry about the fixture. If we're a top four side we'll beat enough teams to be a contender. As far as I'm concerned the fixture is favourable enough for us to make it if we're good enough so let's not waste our time, effort and energy on issues beyond our control.

l never worry about ours so much, it just shits me when eddiewood continually get free rides and now the tankers are getting an easy go

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty happy with it. I've been going on for a few years about our usual draw front-loaded with MCG games and back-ended with difficult away trips and games away from the MCG.

I prefer playing interstate early. You can catch teams out early in the year when you're up and going. Home games at the end of the year give you the chance to build momentum into the finals (if you are good enough to be in finals contention).

The other bonus is we are never more than two weeks away from the G. Other years we've had to play four or five away from the G and have typically performed poorly in those stretches.

The draw is good enough if we are good enough.

i am a bit dissapointed with the sunday games - i work sundays part time, but no doubt i will work something out, hopefulyl get to all the homes games. fox doesnt bother me because i have foxtel at home bit i can understand peoples frustrations...

i highly doubt those channel allocations are accurate however given that they chose the channels about 7 weeks in advance, not for the whole season...i really cant see why they cant make a decision closer (ie a month) but im sure its all too hard for them...

while i do find it strange that they have put the channels next to each game, i reckon there's a 90% chance that this will stay the way it is. As the Tv agreement is set out with 7 on friday sundays 10 on saturdays and fox doing the rest, the only thing that will change is the start times for each game to accomodate the various networks requirements.

Also if they waited for till 7 weeks out, and we are having another poor year, we could have they same amount on fox if not more!

You know what we got what we deserved, I'm rapted with 10 home games at the MCG plus Hawthorn in round 1 that members should get in as a trade off for our sold game. Last year we had a good draw for TV and we stuffed it, just means we all have to get down to the footy and watch it live especially our home games. When we can average 45,000 people for home games then we will start to get the draw we want.

I assume our Friday night game against Geelong is our actual 150th year game, hopefully we are 14 wins by then and we get 85,000 at the game.

Amen to that!!

I have an idea to balance out the draw, do your fixture over three years, that mean 66 rounds and every team has to play each other 4 times in that three year period with 6 games balance for some traditional games. Or even still get rid of 2 rounds per per have two weeks of State of Origin instead and over a three year period every team plays each other 2 home games and 2 away games.

Without increasing the season to 30 games this is a fair way to do the draw.

well to be honest Im not sure exactly what sort of draw would satisfy some folk !! lol... It's an imperfect world...dont expect perfection. Simple as that. I personally think its a better draw than last year, but thtey all have their plusses and minuses. Depending on thestrengths or weakenesses of certain teams it may turn out a marvelous draw...or a hard one.

FFS forget what eddiewood gets...it you expend all your efforts on them you'll never enjoy anything. As we become more successful and interesting we'll also enjoy some of the fruits off of this tree. Absolutely no point grumbling about it...it wont change for the moment!!

Am as perplexed as any re Tioges / Dees match at cr@p-dome.. nothing the AFL is saying really holds water..all spin. Its disappointing.

If we a re a decent team...we will use what ever the fixture has to offer. Lets not start blaming the fixture already...thats OLD Melbourne thinking ... we're better than that...well we NEED to be better than that!! :)

All in all...pretty happy with it.. Could have been far far worse.

Geelong should not be permitted to host Victorian teams at Kardinia Pk. until they can accommodate 30000 people.

They have nearly 30000 mermbers, and 24000 capacity, so opposition supporters have great difficulty getting seats.

Geelong meanwhile, have the huge advantage ofd a stadium full of its own supporters, akin to Adel, Perth, Syd and Bris.Meanwhile, Coll, Ess, Carl and Rich are generally protected from playing at that difficult venue.

Geelong's home games v. Vic clubs should be at Docklands.

I'm pretty happy with it. I've been going on for a few years about our usual draw front-loaded with MCG games and back-ended with difficult away trips and games away from the MCG.

I prefer playing interstate early. You can catch teams out early in the year when you're up and going. Home games at the end of the year give you the chance to build momentum into the finals (if you are good enough to be in finals contention).

The other bonus is we are never more than two weeks away from the G. Other years we've had to play four or five away from the G and have typically performed poorly in those stretches.

The draw is good enough if we are good enough.

That's right. In 2005 we lost 7 in a row, of which only 2 were at the MCG. We should be grateful that we play at the G at least every third week.

Geelong's home games v. Vic clubs should be at Docklands.

Absolutely. There is no excuse for drawing Victorian teams against Geelong at SS when the AFL is fully aware that only Geelong ticketholders will get in. It is another game that AFL membership is useless as well.

On the topic of the two Queensland games and admission, it is believed that neither will be included in the membership as both are now away games.

It is believed that the Adelaide game at Carrara was our home game which is why it was included in the membership but this year we are visitors both times so we gotta pay.

Personally I think we are better off anyway as the allocated seats are pretty awful.

Wow, for the first time this millenium I'll be able to see Melbourne vs Brisbane in Victoria.

For all of those complaining about the marketability of games, there's only 1 factor that will see high attendences at our games, and that is winning. With an unfortunately fickle supporter base that we have, it does not matter who we play & where we play them, there will only be 15,000 max Melbourne supporters there if the side has 3 or 4 wins towards the end of the year.

We used to get that as free entry for NSW members. Will it now be free adm at Manuka?

Maybe, I hope so......

I used to love the SCG game with all the Anzac traditions.

It was the only game I could get to given my health problems and I am very disappointed we are losing that.

(although I do realise that I am being very selfish!!!)