Rhys Palmer

Red and Blue Flame

WE have a problem. Seeing as i think Palmer would beneift our side the most, and shold be the player we take with pick 4..there is a slight dilemma

Kreuzer will go at number 1 obviously, Morton will now go at number 2 because of the trade that occurred yesterday with mitch going to the tigers. That means cotchin and palmer for 3 and 4...but the eagles are more likely to choose the WA Boy, because they won't want another Victorian gun leaving them in a few years. So cotchin will slide to 4th. Although Cotchin would be good, i still think Rhys Palmer is the one to go for definitly..if he's there at pick 4

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen Trent play at West Preston and also at knights... His a freak.. skills like Tj, but more in the tank.. Take him in a heartbeat!!! Also if we get a WA boy, his gana wana go home one day..

WE have a problem. Seeing as i think Palmer would beneift our side the most, and shold be the player we take with pick 4..there is a slight dilemma

Kreuzer will go at number 1 obviously, Morton will now go at number 2 because of the trade that occurred yesterday with mitch going to the tigers. That means cotchin and palmer for 3 and 4...but the eagles are more likely to choose the WA Boy, because they won't want another Victorian gun leaving them in a few years. So cotchin will slide to 4th. Although Cotchin would be good, i still think Rhys Palmer is the one to go for definitly..if he's there at pick 4

Palmer remains my second choice behind Cotchin. Both are talented players who play more of an outside role, though neither is afraid to put his head over the nut when the time comes. Cotchin is supposed to be more skillful, whilst Palmer is probably a better athlete. In all honesty, Mini-Chief, I wouldn't expect WC to balk at the fact that Cotchin is a Victorian. To avoid him purely because of the relatively small risk that he will want to return home would be poor recruiting on their behalf.

I think West Coast will get Cotchin, and we will get either Palmer or Masten. If Masten didn't have OP I think there would be no contest, based on what I've read about how highly he is rated. However, he does have OP, and so I anticipate we will choose Palmer.

We might get Cotchin and this is a problem... :o

If we get him, we should declare November 24 a day of celebration. He is a freak, as someone already said.

I highly doubt West Coast won't choose him if he's available at pick 3, and there is no guarantee that Richmond will take Morton either.

Cotchin will be a great replacement for TJ. You can never have too many class midfielders.

If we get him, we should declare November 24 a day of celebration. He is a freak, as someone already said.

I highly doubt West Coast won't choose him if he's available at pick 3, and there is no guarantee that Richmond will take Morton either.

Cotchin will be a great replacement for TJ. You can never have too many class midfielders.

Then why the hell did we give our classiest one away? Sorry, sorry, sorry we must look forward.

I am more than happy to pickup Cotchin or if he is gone Palmer as a TJ replacement.

Cotchin's father has said he doesn't want his son at WCE. Big gamble for Eagles to take him knowing that the young bloke will have pressure from his family to leave as quick as he can.

They might think that is too bog a risk and take Palmer who is a local and looks to be a pretty handy player. More chance of him being there ling term.

Either way I would be happy. If Masten has OP then we need to stay away. Our club medicos have no idea how to deal with OP based on our past history with Powell, Moloney, Sylvia etc

If Cotchin is best available and West Coast have the opportunity, they simply must take him. Not taking him would set a dangerous precedent. They need to make a statement that they will always take the best availble regardless of where they live. I'm sure they will.

The Eagles love Cotchin, so I think we will unfortunately be one pick too late

Not that I would complain if we landed Rhys Palmer

Cotchin's father has said he doesn't want his son at WCE. Big gamble for Eagles to take him knowing that the young bloke will have pressure from his family to leave as quick as he can.

They might think that is too bog a risk and take Palmer who is a local and looks to be a pretty handy player. More chance of him being there ling term.

Still think Tiges will take Cotchin but if he does slip, WCE wouldn't care less what his dad says.

They'll draft him, Fly his whole family there, give it a spin.

Then his dad will come up saying something like "After having a closer look at the WCE setup, I'm more then happy with Trent playing with the Eagles"

I've said it elsewhere, a Saints scout has told me that there is a clear top 3 this year - Kreuzer, Morton and Cotchin. After that he rates a group about equal but thinks Melbourne will take Masten or Henderson. He says Masten is the next best ball winning mid fielder (OP not withstanding) and that Henderson is the most promising KPP.(Has been struck by injury this year). He believes one of those 2 will go at 4. He also likes Palmer but thinks these two are better. Take it for what it's worth. I believe him!

Agree with you there- can never have too many classy midfielders..because one of them might end up playig off a halfback flank..or rotating into forward pocket. never know (fingers crossed Belly gets a shot in the midfield one day)

Cotchin would be good. All i said was that i'd take Palmer over him...having seen both of them play, and after Palmer's blitz of an Under 18 National carnival. But i forgot that..he's from Wa so might wanna go home too..but i think its a bit diff over here....It's Victoria...it breathes footy...10 teams, this is the place to be. But your right, Cotchin or Palmer would be great

I played footy against Henderson this year.....very good player..needs a couple of years in the gym, but gee can he take a good grab. We'd have to patient though...bigger boys take longer to develop...unlike midifielders who can almost slot right in and play 8-22 games

in their first season that is

minicheif, it seems uv played under18s with a few of these guyz...

but it seems pretty surprising ud rate Palmer over Masten and Cotchin.

granted palmer looks awesome, especially considering his championships and what he's done since...but Cotchin is rated by some the best player in the draft and seems outstanding. Masten also seems rated higher than Palmer (just) by many...

care to explain why palmer is better option to draft that these 2, considering this is against the tide of popular opinion

I just feel...that for what we need...Rhys is what we need. I haven't played against Rhys as he's a WA boy, but when i was watching the carnival...he just tore it up..and i think you'll find most people saying Cotchin is better is because a)of the year he had in the TAC cup.. and B) they're from Victoria and haven't seen enouhg of Palmer.

Palmer is quicker...and kicks more goals

Ps....Luke Casey-Leigh...mate from school. Should pick him up at pick 53...year above me, finished last year- very athletic tall who will probs go around the 50's.

I just feel...that for what we need...Rhys is what we need. I haven't played against Rhys as he's a WA boy, but when i was watching the carnival...he just tore it up..and i think you'll find most people saying Cotchin is better is because a)of the year he had in the TAC cup.. and B) they're from Victoria and haven't seen enouhg of Palmer.

Palmer is quicker...and kicks more goals

Ps....Luke Casey-Leigh...mate from school. Should pick him up at pick 53...year above me, finished last year- very athletic tall who will probs go around the 50's.

Cotchin, Masten or Palmer? All will be stars.

The massive bonus is we are guaranteed to land one of them.

Who really knows what will unfold, however I have sneaking suspicion Cotchin will slip through to 4.

Add this pick to DB's nuturing of Brock, Sylvia & the Jones Boy & we should have our own version of :

Judd, Kerr & Cousins within 2 -3 years.

Be patient people I think we are @ last on track.

Either way I would be happy. If Masten has OP then we need to stay away. Our club medicos have no idea how to deal with OP based on our past history with Powell, Moloney, Sylvia etc

His dad has since stated that his comments were taken out of context and the family is more than happy for him to go west.

His dad has since stated that his comments were taken out of context and the family is more than happy for him to go west.

Damn it!

Cotchin would be a good reward for having a crap season yet still not tanking like those bastards from Princess Park.

I'll be praying for a miracle, but I'm sure that even if Cotchin is taken with a top 3 pick, that we'll still get a good kid with pick 4. It's an early enough pick where the return is generally high.

I would however like to stay the hell away from anyone who has/had/is showing signs of having OP.

Cotchin sounds good, but I reckon Richmond will get him. I'm not buying into this theory about Richmond getting Morton just because they traded for his older brother. I think most of the top talent are Western Australians, if we draft 2 or 3 of them they might just adjust to life in Victoria a little better which will go a ways towards avoiding a Judd/Thompson scenario.

Any of these would do me: Palmer, Rance, Myers, Gourdis, Pears, McGinnity, Brown, Masten (although OP scares the crap out of me).

Get 2 or 3 of these guys and we can have a slice of WA right in the heart of Melbourne.

This is another attempt at a phantom top 25 pick posted on bigfooty recently, it's got some good descriptions of the kids so it's worthy of a look.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.p...6580&page=2

Phantom draft from AFL insider

1 Carlton: Matthew Kreuzer (199cm, 91kg)

Kreuzer isn't the tallest of ruckmen, although he is tall enough, and when his height is measured at the draft camp it will be something that interests many people. While a very small increase from his listed height, if he does get an extra centimetre or two it will put him over two metres, and it always looks better on the team list when the ruckmen are 200cm or more.

Kreuzer will be the starting ruckman at Carlton as soon as he gets drafted, and he should grow along with players like Gibbs, Murphy and others to form a powerful midfield group. It won't be next season, or maybe the one after that even, but eventually Carlton should have one of the best midfields in the AFL.

2 Richmond: Cale Morton (192cm, 75kg)

Richmond has one of the Mortons, it may just take the other, although Cotchin may prove irresistible to pass up at pick 2 and there have been whispers of attitude problems.

3 WC Eagles: Trent Cotchin (184cm, 81kg)

The pure class midfielder of the pack and almost as seductive as Kreuzer, if Richmond unite the Morton brothers WC will pounce and perhaps discover the next Judd

4 Melbourne: Ben McEvoy (199cm, 90kg)

While he didn't star on the weekend when he played on the MCG, he has done more than enough this season to be a top 5 pick.

A big body, good running ability and strong hands make McEvoy one of the players from this draft who could dominate the AFL in a few years. Centre half forward is often said to be the most important spot on the ground, and McEvoy is by far the best prospect at that position.

Neitz is in his final years at the club, McEvoy would be a big help to him next season and then would take over as their big target up forward when Neitz retired.

5 Western Bulldogs: Alex Rance (194cm, 87kg)

The family connection to the Bulldogs is a bonus, that Alex Rance is a big defender with plenty of skills is the real reason they will consider drafting him.

He has plenty of size but his mobility is also something that should appeal to teams with very high picks in the draft. A centre half back with good hands and defensive skills combined with some dash from the back line when it is needed, Rance would be a perfect fit for the Bulldogs.

While Rance would be a big part of the Bulldogs in the future, he is also ready to contribute for them next season. That will be important if they do keep the pick, as they need to win now before West, Johnson, Akermanis and Grant finish their careers.

6 Essendon: Rhys Palmer (180cm, 76kg)

The Bombers need speed, they need someone with a bit of flair who can break a game open, Palmer showed he can play in the big games.

The Bombers have an oversupply of tall players, of veterans and younger players, so a small player is what they need. Palmer would probably split his time between the forward line and midfield in his first year there.

The Bombers have consistently gone to WA to find players in recent drafts, so if this happens it will mean Palmer follows players like Gumbleton, Ryder, Bradley and Jetta from the West to the Bombers.

7 Fremantle: Chris Masten (179cm, 78kg)

When a team has huge ruckmen, and the Dockers qualify there with Sandilands and Warnock, they need to be surrounded by players who know how to operate at the stoppages. Masten would be on the end of plenty of hitouts if he was a Docker next year.

Hasleby's situation is uncertain at the moment. The Dockers have said they want him back, and have reportedly offered a new deal, but a change of clubs might be beneficial for him. If Hasleby does go, then Masten would step right into his role in the Fremantle midfield.

The Dockers have been successful in retaining a lot of players they have who are from other states, but this draft will probably see them take a local. Masten and Palmer would both be very high on their wish list.

8 Brisbane: Brad Ebert (187cm, 86kg)

Brisbane have already talked about the type of player they want, and they were describing Ebert when they said they needed to find some bigger midfielders.

Ebert is obviously going to be a target of Port Adelaide in the draft, but it is very unlikely that he makes it to their first choice. The Power will have to make a trade to move up in the draft to get Ebert.

9 St Kilda: Lachlan Henderson (196cm, 90kg)

The Saints don't have one specific need, so they will be a club to watch on draft day and could surprise with the direction they take. It could depend on Koschitzke, if he is a ruckman next year then the Saints will want to add another forward. If Koschitzke is going to replace Gehrig in the goal-square, then drafting a ruckman could become the priority.

If Maguire left, then Henderson might have also been an option for them as a tall defender, but Maguire has agreed to stay at St Kilda. So Henderson would be competing with Fergus Watts and Jarryd Allen to be the Saints' new full forward in 2008.

The Saints could also decide they need more speed in the middle or another ruckman. If Palmer or McEvoy are available at this pick the Saints might take one of them. But they may not even have this pick, during trade week the Saints could find a trade offer that gives them what they need in exchange for their pick.

10 Adelaide: David Myers (190cm, 85kg)

While the forward line is where the Crows need immediate help, they already invested in that position in the 2006 AFL draft, when they took Sellar and Tippett.

Myers would be a good fit with the Crows' many running defenders, or on the wing. Edwards and Goodwin don't have a lot left so replacing them is something Adelaide need to plan for, and the Crows could use a taller body in the midfield.

11 Sydney: Tom Collier (192cm, 86kg)

The Swans are in an interesting situation, they might still have a year or two as a contender before some of their big stars retire, so they might trade for another veteran or could keep their pick but add someone who can make an impact right away. Collier has senior experience at VFL level, and can step right into the lineup with his new AFL club in round 1.

If Kennelly and Malceski are used more in the middle of the ground by Sydney, Collier could take a spot in the back line. Collier is a very versatile defender so he can play on nearly any type of forward, and if he is asked to he can also attack from the back, so at the Swans he would be very similar to Barry and C Bolton, and even a bit taller than those two.

Collier also has shown he can play in the middle of the action, so if Sydney used Collier and Goodes in the middle they would have a lot of size.

12 Hawthorn: Scott Selwood (184cm, 81kg)

He is famous, and he hasn't even played a game yet. As Hulk Hogan used to say, "Brother, Brother, Brother".

Brisbane could have taken Joel with a very high pick last year, they didn't then so it is unlikely that they will take Scott this time in the first round, although there is the chance that he lasts until their second rounder. The Eagles could see Scott Selwood as the type of player who could eventually take over from Wirrpanda as a leader in the back line, so he might go at pick 13. The Cats have the last pick of the first round, Scott would make sense for them too.

The Hawks have a lot of young talent, especially in the talls department, so a small midfielder/defender would be something they look at. Vandenberg and Smith are gone, so there could be a spot at Hawthorn for Selwood in the back half or as a defensive midfield player.

13 West Coast: Cyril Rioli (178cm, 74kg)

At the start of the season, with Essendon putting a few wins together, it looked like Rioli would probably be a Bomber in 2008 with Sheedy as his coach. Things have changed since then, but Rioli is still going to be one of the big stories of the AFL draft.

The Eagles will probably have at least one more first round pick to use, from the Judd trade, as well as their own pick here. They wouldn't want to take Rioli at pick 3 but at 13 he is good value. A very skilful player, Rioli would find a spot on the team next season as a small forward and occasional midfielder.

West Coast need more options up forward, right now they have Lynch and if he isn't kicking goals their only hope is if Hunter goes forward. Rioli can be a crumbing forward like Tony Evans or could also be used as a quick but small full forward like Phil Matera.

14 Melbourne: Jack Grimes (187cm, 76kg)

Toughness, leadership, determination. Lacks a bit of class, and might not be a true midfielder, but can contribute back or forward as well. Would add the grunt and commitment that was missing with Johnstone

15 Kangaroos: Addam Maric (179cm, 80kg)

They will have to replace Shannon Grant in a few years, and Maric might be his clone. A small player who can have a big impact in the forward line, Maric doesn't miss very often when he has a shot for goal.

The Kangaroos will have to figure out a new structure for their forward line in 2008. With Thompson returning from injury, and an improvement from Hansen, they could have more size to use. With Hale and Petrie too, as well as the marking ability of Edwards and Jones, there will need to be skilful small players around to make the forward line function. Maric should not only score a few goals for the Kangaroos if they draft him but he should also assist in many more.

16 Port Adelaide - Levi Greenwood (181cm, 91kg)

There are not a lot of options among the prospects in the draft from South Australia but Port Adelaide could be happy with Greenwood towards the end of the first round.

The Power might feel they need to add a player that is a bit like Geelong's Paul Chapman, and Greenwood could be an answer to that. Greenwood is a tough little player, with a big leap, and he has the ability to perform an inspirational play. It doesn't hurt that Greenwood is also a Port Adelaide player in the SANFL.

17 Geelong - Tayte Pears (192cm, 90kg)

The Cats didn't miss Egan during the 2007 AFL finals, but it did show the lack of depth Geelong have among their tall defenders. If the Cats want to add a young defender with their first round pick they should find several worth going here.

Pears brings good size to the position, he is very strong in the air and he should be ready for the AFL. If Pears goes here, being ready for the AFL won't be very important, as Geelong don't need a lot of help at the moment, but one pick away from this spot is when the teams down the bottom of the ladder are selecting and some of those clubs would have an immediate use for him.

18 Richmond - Tom Bellchambers (199cm, 91kg)

Carlton get Kreuzer at pick 1 for their priority selection, this is when the Tigers get their priority pick and they can also take a ruckman. Bellchambers should develop into a very reliable ruckmen who gets plenty of hitouts and can go back and block up the space in front of the opposition full forward.

Knobel has retired, and if Graham is not promoted to their main list it would make Bellchambers the tallest player Richmond have. Bellchambers is a bit taller than Pattison and Simmonds. He is also more of a traditional ruckman, and the Tigers do need that.

Bellchambers looks, and plays, taller than his listed height. The draft camp should give an updated set of measurements for teams to consider. Maybe it is his leap at the centre bounce, or the length of his arms, but Bellchambers always seems to get his hand to the ball. There is also the fact that he rarely has played against players that are equal in height to him. But a team should be impressed by him, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he went a few picks earlier as many teams need a ruckman.

19 Bulldogs - Dawson Simpson (205cm, 97kg)

The Bulldogs are not in a good position at the moment, and plenty of the blame has to go to their recruiting ideas. Maybe they will have some review of their operations, that will cost a lot and take plenty of time, but there is a simple answer. They are too short. A simple, but effective, remedy will be to just draft the biggest players they can find, and here is the biggest.

Simpson looks like he will not only be a very tall ruckman but eventually he could be one of the strongest as well. A Monkhorst-like player, but with more height, is something the Bulldogs need.

If Simpson takes a few years to become a regular player it could be good timing, as Street will probably be gone then, as will Ben Hudson.

20 WC Eagles - Pat Veszpremi (181cm, 83kg)

Pacy, skillful, hard, strong, versatile. Might have body-shape issues.

21 Melbourne: Steven Gaertner (196cm, 83kg)

Melbourne need to load up with taller players in this draft and they will have a lot to choose from. With Neitz at the end of his career, Brad Miller looking elsewhere, Lynden Dunn being switched to the midfield, the Demons need to draft key position prospects.

Gaertner is a high-flying player who can take a mark in a pack, or over a pack. He should be a versatile player at AFL level, possibly a more athletic version of Sam Gilbert, so the Demons could use Gaertner in many positions.

It has been a long time since anyone but Daniher has been the coach at Melbourne, so the Demons should bring a new strategy to the draft and also for trade week.

22 WC Eagles - Tony Notte (194cm, 70kg)

Notte is a great prospect for the forward line, he already has height, mobility and good hands and just needs a few years to develop his strength.

Ben Reid from last year's draft might be a similar player to Notte, in terms of what happens in the draft. Younger, and thinner, than a lot of the other prospects, Reid went very high in the draft because of his potential. Reid did show in the VFL, and a brief appearance at AFL level, that it was a good pick by Collingwood. Notte doesn't have some of the predraft hype that other WA players do but a team might produce a draft day surprise and take Notte a lot earlier than expected.

23 Essendon: Scott Simpson (194cm, 91kg)

Their new coach is said to have a plan to win now, as well as later. Lucas and Lloyd are the forwards the Bombers will rely on to win now, and they might use a pick or two to find some forwards to develop to eventually replace them.

Simpson knows where to move around the forward line and gives his teammates a target to kick to. In a few years, Simpson could be the third tall forward at the Bombers, providing another option around half forward with Gumbleton the main option.

24 Fremantle: David Gourdis (193cm, 88kg)

The Dockers can go into the draft with the knowledge that with every pick there will be a local player worth taking. Despite trading for Tarrant a year ago, and also extending the contract of Campbell, the Dockers can use another tall forward as the health of Longmuir is a concern for them.

Gourdis is an athletic centre half forward, but has the ability to play in the back half too. Comparing him to a current Fremantle player, he is similar to Luke McPharlin but would play further out from goal.

25 Brisbane: Chris Kangars (193cm, 84kg)

The Lions had some success last season after putting Brennan back into the forward line there, while that move did provide help for Brown it did take away height and athleticism from their back line. Kangars is similar to Brennan, although he is probably faster, but they are both athletes with the height of a key position player.

Kangars would also have the ability to play in the midfield at times. With his size and pace he could shut down a player when used as a defensive midfielder.

At this part of the draft, there should be a number of players from Queensland who are considered by the Lions. For the obvious reason of eliminating the "go home factor", it makes sense for the Lions to draft local. There should be several tall prospects from Queensland worth this pick as well as one or two onballers

Most experts agree the top 25 is very good this year but falls away dramatically after thatI'm not so sure of Grimes, but Gaertner looks really interesting. Gourdis and Scott Simpson are two others who I think would do well with us. With two round one picks we're going to pick up some real talent.

Mcevoy is a must. We need talls, he has great height and good weight, a ready made player. OUr midfeild is working class at best, but they get the job done, we need a big marking option up forward. its a no brainer.

Mcevoy is a must. We need talls, he has great height and good weight, a ready made player. OUr midfeild is working class at best, but they get the job done, we need a big marking option up forward. its a no brainer.

Best. Player. Available. It is as simple as that when it comes to drafting. Trade week and the later draft picks are where you should address specific positional requirements. I don't think we should ever be taking a punt on a player for a specific position when there are evidently better options available at that pick. At least, not with sub-20 picks anyway.

As you say, our midfield is very blue collar at the moment, because the two most promising components (McLean and Jones) are yet to blossom fully. We need to inject a bit of pace or ingenuity that can start winning us some clearances, where we consistently got obliterated in 07. Masten seems to be a genius at the stoppages, and Palmer is the sort of player who can be the 'first receiver' and break away from the scrum, as well as get his own ball when called upon to do so.

If Cotchin is unavailable, which he almost certainly will be, then I think we will probably take either Palmer or Masten, with Palmer leading the way only due to Masten's OP. We can then pray that either Rance, McEvoy, or Henderson are still around at 14. If you follow the phantom draft that Jarka put up, then it seems doubtful, but I have seen 2-3 other 'Top 10s' where are at the tail end, if they are there at all.