DEMONS HAVE NO SPINE

dee-luded

We need a more potent & classy goal to goal line. Drafts & our first pick? trade for Judd......

Neita is nearly cooked, one more season.

My boy Newton should be a switch hitter between CH/B & F/F, but is a long way from proving he's going to be a major player.

Carroll I think is a journey man defender, probably not going to be a genuine premiership player.

Rivers whilst being a very smart player is not strong enough to be a real CH/B F/B, more a bizzell type general.

Frawls is light & has a long way to go to prove he's going to be something.

We need to try to hang on to our first pick re the Judd dealings or trade a senior player/s for a second early 1st rnd pick.

Swans won a flag without a traditional spine.

We maybe only have Newton as a KPP, can't count on Neitz or White, Garland might come good as CHB.

I think to get a good spine we have to do a full rebuild with three years at th bottom plus priority picks and get them all in that three year period but there are no garuantees with KPP you would almost need to get two for each position to make sure you got a good spine.

Swans won a flag without a traditional spine.

We maybe only have Newton as a KPP, can't count on Neitz or White, Garland might come good as CHB.

I think to get a good spine we have to do a full rebuild with three years at th bottom plus priority picks and get them all in that three year period but there are no garuantees with KPP you would almost need to get two for each position to make sure you got a good spine.

What I'm saying is we have numerous medium tall defenders, 6'3" - 6'4" types with light to med' frames. I think we need either a topline all class defender as Rance is touted, or a taller type big bodied key posi' player who can play key forward &/or key back. (like a Henderson)

If Holland was to be called a no frills type versatile big man, then what I am suggesting is a classier version of him who can play quality footy down back or up front, so we can rotate Newton & our other forwards around the front half against top quality defences such as the cats. Mobile rotating forwards are a nightmare for defenders to keep track of.

We need a more potent & classy goal to goal line. Drafts & our first pick? trade for Judd......

My boy Newton should be a switch hitter between CH/B & F/F, but is a long way from proving he's going to be a major player.

Carroll I think is a journey man defender, probably not going to be a genuine premiership player.

Rivers whilst being a very smart player is not strong enough to be a real CH/B F/B, more a bizzell type general.

We need to try to hang on to our first pick re the Judd dealings or trade a senior player/s for a second early 1st rnd pick.

Our spine relies on one kid coming good. James Frawley.

He's only 80 odd kg but his got a build where he will put on weight. His got a solid base so i'm confident he'll be strong enuf to compete with the big boys.

The question is will he be any good?

If Frawley does come good, Carroll will take the 2nd Defender and that's his best position. He's a good 2nd defender and that releases Rivers which would make the two KPP happy.

Our fwd line, i think we can function with Bate, Dunn & Newton being the mobile forward targets. I'll like to see Green play in the forward line if we release Dunn or Bate in the middle. Not the traditional fwdline but i think it can be effective.

The key to MFC lies on the shoulders of a 19 yer old. Good luck son.

To say that the key to the MFC lies on Frawley's shoulders is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard this year....

Chopper is a no-holds barred defender who has improved a helluva lot over the last 2 seasons.... He will only get better!

Frawley will become a solid backman.... But needs time to fill out (as you have said) and once Rivers is back in the side I think we will have a pretty solid defence over the next 5 seasons....

Throw in Garland at some stage and Petterd back as a running defender (ala McLeod) and we will be in good stead for the future....

To heap all the pressure on Frawley is not fair on the boy at this stage of his career..... He will mature into a solid defender by age 24 IMHO....

Lets just hope we have a better run with injuries in 2008 and you just watch what this club can do!!

If we miss out on Judd, don't be supprised if the Eagles pick Rance with their No 3 pick they will get from Carlton. The Eagles wil back themself to get Morton back after two years interstate and they have a strong enough midfield even with out Judd.

What happened to the Eagles player Graham tall defender seems to be a back up for Glass, wouldn't cost us much to get him maybe even in the preseason draft at No 3.

Funny how our past coach ND identified this as a key area at the end of 2002 4 years on we still look to have the same problem

• 6 months later...

I tried (for the club) to say it last year. I wanted Lauchlan Henderson first.

By Jim Morton

February 21st 2008 @ 3:27am

Top-notch Lachlan Henderson on track for quick AFL debut

Lachlan Henderson is closely following in the footsteps of Jonathan Brown and Lions veteran Robert Copeland believes Brisbane’s top draft pick has the talent to make his AFL debut alongside him next month.

Copeland today felt the 18-year-old wouldn’t be out of place when Brisbane kick off the 2008 season against West Coast on March 22 at Subiaco Oval.

Henderson showed his immense skill at full-forward for the Lions in their 27-point first-round NAB Cup pre-season loss to Essendon at Carrara on the weekend.

The 196cm, 92kg Geelong Falcons product, drafted at No.8, kicked 3.2 on Bombers powerhouse Mal Michael in an eye-catching senior debut.

With Daniel Bradshaw not expected to return from a knee reconstruction until round three and Mitch Clark nursing a quad injury there’s a vacant tall position up forward next to Brown.

When the Lions drafted Henderson last year, Falcons coach Michael Turner said he hadn’t seen a player of his calibre since Brown played with the Geelong U18s almost a decade before.

Newly-converted forward Copeland had few doubts Henderson was good enough to become only the second Lions draftee in 10 years to debut immediately.

“Yeah, probably, definitely,” he said. “It all depends on the injuries and who’s available but he’s in line for a chance of playing.

“He moves well, and he’s good on the forward line.

“The way he moves and the way he listens, I was down there organising things and he listens really well and that will take him a long way.”

Henderson’s height, just two centimetres shorter than first-choice ruckman Jamie Charman, could also help his selection chances for the season opener.

WE are developing Stefan Martin (198 cm) as a KPB. Frawley (and Garland if he makes it) are looking as if they might be tall running backs, which you need in modern footy. Riv and Carroll are more traditional 2nd talls who can rotate between falling off their man to proive extra support and running off to provide that much need linkage through to the forward line. Wheels, barts, macnamara (and cheney) are all running smalls I think.

Our tall forwards are our main concern

Neitz-Last year

Holland-Last year

Robbo- Maybe next year will be his last

Newton-Suited more to HFF then key role

Miller-Hard working but limited

Garland-doesn't look to me that he will make it

Dunn-Playing in the midfield has always looked OK up forward but not as a key

Bate- see Dunn

Zomer-Kick 7 last week at Sandy 2nds long way to go before we can even consider.

PJ-looks better as a roming ruck than a key forward

That list is ordinary at best when look at KPF.

Some of these are debatable but . . .

Matthew Bate Age: 20 Height: 192cm Weight: 90kg

Lynden Dunn 20, 192cm, 92kg

Ben Holland 30, 197cm, 97kg

Brad Miller 24, 194cm, 96kg

Cale Morton 18, 192cm, 79kg

David Neitz 33, 193cm, 100kg

Michael Newton 20, 193cm, 91kg

Russell Robertson 29, 187cm, 91kg

Trent Zomer ® 18, 196cm, 94kg

Are you kidding me???

Carroll may not be our most skillful player, but he has more guts and heart than most of your players, and guts and heart are what wins flags. I am not saying he does not need help down there, but you have to be fair, Carroll is taking the BEST forward nearly every week. He is going a great job, and with one addition you will see him become more valuable across the board.

Rivers- Best backman at the club. Is better than bizzell by a long way.

Frawlz- Have only seen the odd bit here and there, but looks a capable player with height and speed to match most forwards.

WE are developing Stefan Martin (198 cm) as a KPB. Frawley (and Garland if he makes it) are looking as if they might be tall running backs, which you need in modern footy. Riv and Carroll are more traditional 2nd talls who can rotate between falling off their man to proive extra support and running off to provide that much need linkage through to the forward line. Wheels, barts, macnamara (and cheney) are all running smalls I think.

Steph Martin will be a Gorilla tamer or pinch hit as a power forward. He doesn't have the physical class or agility to be a dominant Mobile CHF or a leading Full Forward. He's a support staff type, not the main playmaker.

The rot started years ago when Cameron and Daniher built the backline around Nicho. No seriously it's true

Steph Martin will be a Gorilla tamer or pinch hit as a power forward. He doesn't have the physical class or agility to be a dominant Mobile CHF or a leading Full Forward. He's a support staff type, not the main playmaker.

Agree Dee-luded...see Stef as the man up back who spoils at the marking contest and allows the other back more freedom [Rivers & Carroll key beneficiaries]

As for the rest of spine...McNamara is my hope for FB, more so then Chip. This will take 2 years and start to stiffen us up down back.

Up forward our KPP depth concerns me greatly. With Newton's attitude seemingly gone AWOL I am hoping Zomer can develop more rapidly...desperate stakes when you need your Rookie to setp up as a FF. Shame considering that the Davey, Wonaemirri & Maric mosquito fleet looks more then promising.

CHF...don't think we have a true one on the list at present.

Agree Dee-luded...see Stef as the man up back who spoils at the marking contest and allows the other back more freedom [Rivers & Carroll key beneficiaries]

As for the rest of spine...McNamara is my hope for FB, more so then Chip. This will take 2 years and start to stiffen us up down back.

Up forward our KPP depth concerns me greatly. With Newton's attitude seemingly gone AWOL I am hoping Zomer can develop more rapidly...desperate stakes when you need your Rookie to setp up as a FF. Shame considering that the Davey, Wonaemirri & Maric mosquito fleet looks more then promising.

CHF...don't think we have a true one on the list at present.

McNamara I think will be a 189cm running back type to suit certain matchups. IMO.

Cheney will replace Whelan for the 2010 season. IMO.

Grimes a hardnut leader who has great disposal skills & sounds like he could be a HBFlanker /Wing/Mid.

2010 Backhalf IMO

..B/: Cheney - Frawley/Mcnamara - Carroll/Martin/Miller

HB/: Grimes - Rivers / ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, - Petterd//????????