You have to give qualty to get quality

Courtney_Fish

This is such rubbish and I keep reading it.

What did we get for Farmer? Look what quality we gave up for Bizzell (who arguably held our defence together for a few years).

If you want Judd, you have to look at what other teams going in after him are offering HIM.

And as far as trading anyone just to get Judd, let me tell you about Stephen Newport. To the best of my memory the following were some of the things that happened. He was suddenly traded to StKilda for Rod Owen. When our president at the time was asked about the trade, the genius replied that they (St Kilda) wanted Newport "so what could we do"? What a brilliant negotiator. Stories circulated that Newport had gone to the club and pleaded to stay offering to take a significant cut in pay. He left Melb for StKilda and killed us when we next played them. During the summer of the trade I remember meeting one of our players of the time who didn't hold back about how upset he and other players were about what had happened to Newport and that he was a really nice guy very liked by the others.

I hope I never see the 'quality for quality' attitude at MFC again. I don't ever want guys on our administration that think that way.

Of course you (as those in charge of the trade) are obliged to muster up the best trade you can. If you make unreasonable offers though, the rival club is going to tell you to get stuffed and you miss your big fish.

Remember when Essendon offered pick 35 to the Bulldogs to Scott West? It's why nobody ever deals with Essendon, because they're a pack of ....s at the trade table.

So by all means play hard ball, but you can't go too far the other way because the other club is going to slam the door on any possible trades.

Our club is full of stories that continue to amaze me, two that come to mind was when we traded Earl Spalding and the series of events that led to Stan Alves leaving the club. So completely unnecessary.

My god JARKA you must be as old as I am

My god JARKA you must be as old as I am

Not quite (I hope ;) ), I was born in the early 70's but I've always been a fan of Alves and I heard him talk about when he left Melbourne on SEN once, I do remember the Saplding trade though, who did we get with the draft pick, was it Jason Norrish?

And as far as trading anyone just to get Judd, let me tell you about Stephen Newport.

It's a nice story Courtney but Stephen Newport was traded in 1990 for draft pick 6 that we used to get Alan Jakovich.

We traded pick 91 for Rod Owen in 1990.

Stephen didn't want to go, but the right decision was made.

Just to round out the story Owen was traded to Brisbane for pick 40 in 1991.

It's a nice story Courtney but Stephen Newport was traded in 1990 for draft pick 6 that we used to get Alan Jakovich.

pick 91? wow, i cant remember the last pick in the 90's lol

Newy was always such a lovely guy and a great clubman but there was no place for sentiment in football then as there is no place for it now. It's a multi-million dollar business and when you have to move a player on, you have to move the player on.

You maybe quite right here with the details of how it was all worked but I remember the president's words clearly. It was a chat after the AGM.

However, the points I'm making with this story are about negotiating skills and about player sentiment. It wouldn't matter if we got pick 92 for Newport.

Also, I suspect that there was (and maybe still is) something in the draft rules that said that a player is traded for a draft pick and that is why often a player swap also involves draft picks. Can anyone shed light on this?

Who did the Saints get with pick 91?

It was a joint deal, they were not seperate deals.

Melbourne traded pick 91 and Stephen Newport to StKilda in exchange for Rod Owen and pick six. StKilda drafted Adam Rudd with pick 91.

It was a joint deal, they were not seperate deals.

Melbourne traded pick 91 and Stephen Newport to StKilda in exchange for Rod Owen and pick six. StKilda drafted Adam Rudd with pick 91.

The Jacka deal aside, the best thing Newport ever did for the MFC was that goal he kicked against the Great Enemy in the second week of the finals in 1988. From memory, it was a vicious off-break at the Punt Road end.

O Joy !!!

Biffinator.

What did we get for Farmer? Look what quality we gave up for Bizzell (who arguably held our defence together for a few years).

Errr - we on traded the pick we got for Farmer to Geelong for Bizzell ...

Your exact point is?

Why do you have to ruin a good tale with facts?

Why do you have to ruin a good tale with facts?

HAHA.

there is one factor in the trades that has not been mentioned ----$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MFC used to sell players to balance the books particularly during 70s and 80s. Earl Spalding deal was one of those.

The MFC strategy was that alll we had to do was break even financially so the MFC outlasted other financially struggling clubs likeSouth Melb, Nth Melb, St Kilda, Footscray and Fitzroy. Logic was that the name Melbourne would save MFC as there would always be a team named Melbourne. The proposed merger with Hawks killed that view off.

So some of the trades for which MFC did not appear to get an equal or better trade would have invloved this.