2008 Bailey changes

Freak

Anyone who doesn't have Frawley, Newton or Petterd in their line up, is not thinking ahead. All 3 will be in our best 22 next year, or we're in real trouble.

BTW, I'd love to see Whelan in the forward pocket next year.

Bell, Pettard and Bartram can cover him down back.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Tiger Of Old
Anyone who doesn't have Frawley, Newton or Petterd in their line up, is not thinking ahead. All 3 will be in our best 22 next year, or we're in real trouble.

BTW, I'd love to see Whelan in the forward pocket next year.

Bell, Pettard and Bartram can cover him down back.

You're joking aren't you?

Not next year. In 2009 they will be in the best 22 for sure.

You would love to see Whelan up forward??????

I'd love to see Jakovich back but I'm not crazy. Whelan will play back or middle. Simple as that.

Then we are in real trouble. Cause they won't all be in 22. One will, if lucky (most likely petterd)

Guest The Tiger Of Old
Then we are in real trouble. Cause they won't all be in 22. One will, if lucky (most likely petterd)

I second that. No way will they all be in the best 22.

Newton is already in our best 22, as is Petterd.

And with the retirement of Bizzell, Brown, and the likely delisting of Ferguson and Ward, Frawley will most definitely be part of our regular backline.

He was a first round pick, and has shown glimpses of pace, calmness under pressure, and good defensive pressure already. He should absolutely be played next year as part of our continued development of a spine.

Whelan is extremely injury prone, and hasn't been his accountable self this season. He has a good sense of where the ball is, and there is nothing to suggest he can't replace Pickett's role in the side as a half forward (and he'll chase too :rolleyes: )

Newton is already in our best 22, as is Petterd.

And with the retirement of Bizzell, Brown, and the likely delisting of Ferguson and Ward, Frawley will most definitely be part of our regular backline.

He was a first round pick, and has shown glimpses of pace, calmness under pressure, and good defensive pressure already. He should absolutely be played next year as part of our continued development of a spine.

Whelan is extremely injury prone, and hasn't been his accountable self this season. He has a good sense of where the ball is, and there is nothing to suggest he can't replace Pickett's role in the side as a half forward (and he'll chase too :rolleyes: )

Agree with Newton, probably also with Petterd. Bartram will depend on how he comes back from an injury that has kept him out for 21 weeks.

Frawley has shown glimpses but that's it so far. I think he will be a good player but will not be part of our best 22 if we want to win games and everyone is available. He will be in the 22 at times for development.

Best back 6 atm:

Whelan Carroll Bell

Green/TJ Rivers Petterd/Bartram

Reasons for this are Carroll still the best option we have at fullback. Likewise Rivers at CHB although I would like to see what both White and Dunn could do there. Bell as a quality defender who can play tall and small. Whelan still the best small defender at the club.

As for the half-bank flankers, IMO Green and TJ are the quality distributors from the backline and Petterd and Bartram are still learning their craft and that's a pretty good place to do it.

Bode's not there yet and I rate Wheatley as a much better player on a wing or maybe half-forward than as a defender.

This is my team for 2008.

B: Whelan Carroll Bell

HB: Green Rivers Bruce

C: McLean McDonald Dunn

HF: Sylvia Bate Davey

F: Robertson Neitz Yze

R: White Jones Bartram

Int: P Johnson, Newton, Wheatley, Petterd.

That team is basically going back to late 2006, with the exception of Newton and Petterd.

Every year a few new players come up and a few old ones fall back, often through prolonged injury. Expect one or two of Whelan, McDonald, White, Neitz and Robertson to wane (Yze already has and I wouldn't put him in there).

Frawley should be in there. Newton will hold down CHF. Expect one or two of Buckley, Bode, Garland, Weetra and the new draftees (especially pick 4) to fight their way in by no later than mid-season.

Guest The Tiger Of Old
Likewise Rivers at CHB although I would like to see what both White and Dunn could do there.

White & Dunn?

What's going on here?

Think about these match ups;

J. White Vs. J. Brown

L. Dunn Vs. W. Tredrea

J. White Vs. M. Pavlich

L. Dunn Vs. N. Riewoldt

Come on guys, get it together...............

Have a think before posting crap.

Guest The Tiger Of Old
Expect one or two of Buckley, Bode, Garland, Weetra and the new draftees (especially pick 4) to fight their way in by no later than mid-season.

This side was without any draft picks Maurie. Otherwise I would have replaced our whole team to Chris Judd.

Bode, & Buckley agreed. But will not be the "BEST" 22 next year.

They will play - yes - but will not be in the "BEST" 22 (this includes fit players)...

Garland & Weetra will struggle to get games in the 1st's. Trust me.

And if I remember correctly, we won more than 5 games in 2006 Maurie.

The draft picks aren't always prized players. Have a look at our list. We've had some pretty high picks but haven't developed into much.

I'd be trading McLean. He is useless.......

Ooo have I opened a can now...... :lol:

Look for Sylvia to shine next year.

Guest The Tiger Of Old
From ur team, you've got Bell or Bruce as the third tall :wacko: .

Depends on who we're playing champ.

Didn't do match ups for every team in the AFL - Sorry.

[censored].

White & Dunn?

What's going on here?

Think about these match ups;

J. White Vs. J. Brown

L. Dunn Vs. W. Tredrea

J. White Vs. M. Pavlich

L. Dunn Vs. N. Riewoldt

Come on guys, get it together...............

Have a think before posting crap.

Clearly you haven't thought before putting up those match-ups.

In terms of size, Dunn is the same height as Rivers and marginally lighter although I'd expect that he would be at the same level if not a bit heavier by the start of next year comparing their respective builds. He also has a decent bit of pace and endurance as shown by his work in the midfield next year. I was also impressed by his work in the backline in the most recent game against Collingwood after your idol went off injured. If you read a bit further, you may see that there has been some discussion as to whether Dunn could develop into a Chad Cornes-style player.

Whether White can go to CHB is still an unknown IMO because I haven't seen it tried. Paul Roos certainly made that switch later in his career. In terms of pure size he is a reasonable match-up for the two you have mentioned and the concern would more be one of pace. I don't think reading the play, obviously very important for a CHB, has ever been one of his problems.

You've also mentioned Riewoldt. He is the type of player, like Lucas, that may be more appropriate for Daniel Bell to go to even though Bell should not play as a traditional CHB. It was unfortunate that he was injured so early in the Daniher Farewell Match that we didn't see more than the first contest when he was tried on him.

Guest The Tiger Of Old
In terms of size, Dunn is the same height as Rivers and marginally lighter although I'd expect that he would be at the same level if not a bit heavier by the start of next year comparing their respective builds.

And you think Rivers will stay at the same weight?

Dunn will play midfield or up forward.

He won't play CHB. Simple as that.

The draft picks aren't always prized players. Have a look at our list. We've had some pretty high picks but haven't developed into much.

The exercise of choosing our best 22 for 2008 now is pretty useless. We have no idea of what players will develop over the pre-season and in the NAB Cup. There is always a general reticence for supporters to see anything but the 'same old', despite how much renovation needs to take place. I'm sure Bailey will be more adventurous than going backwards by recycling the same old hopefuls you have.

To say that our high picks haven't developed into much is rubbish. All of our earliest picks since 2002 are now very important players in the team: Bell, McLean, Sylvia, Bate, Dunn, Jones. That's the basis on which you can expect Frawley to shine next year, and our pick 4 fairly rapidly thereafter.

PS: Why should I trust anyone with crystal-ball gazing? I don't even trust a stockbroker with my money.

Brock isn't a wingman, my Best 22 next year would look something like this:

FB: Carroll Frawley Bell

HB: Petterd Rivers Green

C: Bruce Jones Wheatley

HF: Whelean Newton Bate

FF: Davey Neitz Robertson

Ruck: P Johnson, McLean , McDonald

Interchange:White , Johnstone, Sylvia, Dunn

EMG: Bartram, (Insert Pick 4 here), Neaves

Ive just been having a read.

Dunn at CHB??? You have got to be kidding. I love Dunn but you are seriously over rating him, especially whoever said he should be CHB over Rivers. Bell on Riewoldt is also stupid.

Riewoldt is perfect for Rivers.

P.S Bode, Buckley (LOVE HIM) are not going to be in the best 22. New draft pick maybe. And either Newton or Petterd will slip in.

Totally unbalanced team. Not enough run from the backline or defensive pressure from the forwards.

good point. in all honesty i didnt really think this through, i just took the team above and swapped some positions around to see where some players could possibly play.

bell and petterd would both be providing run from the backline, and in hindsight, i doubt we would line up with all 4 talls in the backline at once...so an extra runner might be in there...

regarding defensive pressure from the forwards, you have davey. newton chases but is a tall. who do you suggest we play in the forward line to add defensive pressure? we dont really have anyone else do we?

what do you think of dunn at CHB?

Don't like this at all.

you cant see him become chad cornes like?

both 192cm, cornes is 96kgs to dunns 90kgs, but considering dunn is only 20 yo...

i just feel he has the motor to run all day, the height, good speed for a big guy, agility and is willing to back himself into a contest.

i could seeing him becoming a CHF is he worked on his marking, which is why i think CHB could suit him, the marking is not as big an issue. he obviously has the smarts to play in almost any position, he seems to do the smart footy thing.

yes i like him in the midfield, but i think he would be more valuable if he developed into a successful CHB than another midfielder...