Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bailey the winner according to Hutchie

Guest Peter Griffin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THe club seems to be leaking out a different name every day. It is purely a ruse to suggest that this was an open process - and the board is actually going to have a genuine say. No board will over-rule a committee with both the president and the CEO on it. Decision made weeks ago. Connolly.

It's been a 100 hour process.

I'm sick of all the whinging.

Whoever is chosen, MUST get our full support. If members walk away because we didn't pick up Sheedy, then please do us all a favor and don't come back. FFS, if Bailey impressed more than Sheedy, why not stop and ask why Sheedy didn't get the job before having a crack at Bailey. I want the best available coach, not an icon.

I guess all you 'Sheedy must coach' people all wear Brand name clothes and never try new local designers.

Makes me sick how negative people can be around here.

Well said - I admire the passion of everyone on this forum, but cringe at some of the asolute statements expressed about this or that candidate. The only informed desicion is the one by the club, everything else is speculation.

Connolly/Sheedy = footy operation manager (on Conolly lets face it, he got tallet to Freo... just could get them to Gell)

Baily for coach for mine, comes from a proven team who get the best out of their list and have had a fantastic record with recycled (Melbourne) players (Walsh, Bishop).

For those crying about not having Sheedy as a coach, remember, footy is evolving and as a result there is a process to take care of all that. Trust in the process.

From what I understand after tuesdays set of interviews a clear leader emerged and they let him know he was a good head in front of the rest.

Ideally we want a coach for the future... not just the next 2-3 years. Everytime our team goes through this process it is destabilised a little.... Lets build for continued success.

Bailey will surprise many "livid" supporters here.... Pull your heads out and stop cracking the sads over something you clearly know nothing about...

I am interersted to hear though that Connolly may be offered the football managers position. I think that may be the ideal role for him.... He has a wealth of knowledge that will be available to the coaching staff and lets face it... We are welcoming home one of our own.

I am not sure why we are supposed to be impressed by the fact that its a 100 hour process. Thats one person full time for 2 weeks. Big F'n deal, I've had craps go longer than that.

100 hours between 5 or 6 people over 6 or more weeks is jack [censored] in the whole scheme of things.

Although I do prefer the approach they have taken over Essendons we'll hed hunt these 2 bokes and if they tell us to get nodded we'll quickly sign whoever is left.

We're mad if we don't take Sheedy, simply mad. An example of why this football club been mired in mediocrity for nearly 5 decades!!!!!!!

You are badly pre-judging the issue.

After Sheedy (2000) and Matthews (2001-3), all the recent premierships have been won by new coaches: Williams, Roos and Worsfold. All ex-assistants and students of modern coaching methodology and ideas, with a comparatively recent playing career and a fresh approach. With the exception of Malthouse, the current Victorian teams in the 8 all have the same type: Thompson, Clarkson, Laidley, Lyon. So I don't think there is anything necessarily "second-best" with recent graduates to the new school of coaching, on the contrary there's a lot to like about them.

I wouldn't mind Sheedy. He has lots of positives in terms of both coaching and marketing. The thing he has to do is convince me, and the selection panel obviously, that he still has the motivation and desire. Otherwise he risks becoming the coaching version of an aging player like Byron Pickett ... recruited for his toughness and aura, but in reality offering nothing more than reputation and a fade out after a year.

I'm not slashing my wrists if a lengthy, diligent and painstaking process turns up someone else, particularly someone new. We have to trust the process that our club has instituted and give up whingeing, particularly before the selection has even been made! And we've had messiahs before ... even Ron Barassi ... and they haven't necessarily worked either.

I'm sick of all the whinging.

Whoever is chosen, MUST get our full support. If members walk away because we didn't pick up Sheedy, then please do us all a favor and don't come back. FFS, if Bailey impressed more than Sheedy, why not stop and ask why Sheedy didn't get the job before having a crack at Bailey. I want the best available coach, not an icon.

I guess all you 'Sheedy must coach' people all wear Brand name clothes and never try new local designers.

Makes me sick how negative people can be around here.

Spot on!

Sheedy has been touted by many as some kind of messiah, and the magic fix for all our ills......well he isn't!

I've been of the same opinion all the way through......we need the best coach to win games of footy.......if it's Sheedy, then fantastic, but if not, then I'll back whoever gets the gig.

Don't read too much into it, Hutchy said he'd be lying if he said he knew who was chosen.

However I wouldn't be upset if Bailey was the chosen one. I didn't know anything about him either but after reading the article on the AFL site posted a few weeks back he opened my eyes.

Either way whatever Melbourne does it will be a bold move, sure it's a bold move to appoint Sheedy but it's probably even bolder to overlook him for someone that has come out on top of the coaching process.

Great point. Its a matter of having faith in the process which for all the bagging it has got has turned up unexpected names indicating how obust it has been... Sheeds would be good but I will happily support anyone that the board appoints.

THe club seems to be leaking out a different name every day. It is purely a ruse to suggest that this was an open process - and the board is actually going to have a genuine say. No board will over-rule a committee with both the president and the CEO on it. Decision made weeks ago. Connolly.

Yep. More uninformed tripe :rolleyes:

Please stick around so that I can mock you when the announcement is made :rolleyes:

And to all other passionate Melbourne supporters, please have a drink and go have a little nap.

The angst that has already been shown BEFORE any announcement has been made, is seriously pathetic.

We don't know what Bailey can bring to the table, just like we don't know what Sheedy didn't bring to the table.

I trust that after this long process, the club has chosen the right man and for the right reasons. The club probably recognised that we are not serious contenders going into 2008/2009 and have therefore decided that Sheedy is not the right man for the job.

Whatever happens and whoever is chosen, please PLEASE don't deny your club your membership money. We need every cent we can get and as many supporters as we can to get on board. Many here wanted Daniher gone (myself included), and the board delivered. Have some faith in the club and support it.

This is a new era for the MFC and we can only hope it's a vast improvement on the last 40+ years.

Don't read too much into it, Hutchy said he'd be lying if he said he knew who was chosen.

However I wouldn't be upset if Bailey was the chosen one. I didn't know anything about him either but after reading the article on the AFL site posted a few weeks back he opened my eyes.

Either way whatever Melbourne does it will be a bold move, sure it's a bold move to appoint Sheedy but it's probably even bolder to overlook him for someone that has come out on top of the coaching process.

Yes, was just thinking that myself. Should Hardwick or Bailey get the nod over Sheedy then they must have impressed the panel quite considerably. Sheedy has done heaps for football and as we all know, been involved in a few premierships including one painful one over our beloved team. He had great credentials and would certainly help the club re sponsors and general marketing of the club but I am not 100% convinced he is the man for the coaches job and doubt he would be into Chris Fagan's old job either. I think we have to trust our panel and our board to select the right man and if he is a new boy then he must have the right stuff and hope he can teach our boys how to think the same way...

okay.. im an adelaide girl, and so know a little about Dean Bailey. he's a fantastic assistant coach, and i think he'll make a pretty good head coach in the very near future. he has an eye for talent (just look what port have uncovered in the draft this year) and knows how to get the best out of his players. he also is a good talker and would face the media really well

however..

if melbourne pass up sheedy then i say get ready for another fifty years of dissapointment.

Please stick around so that I can mock you when the announcement is made :rolleyes:

And to all other passionate Melbourne supporters, please have a drink and go have a little nap.

The angst that has already been shown BEFORE any announcement has been made, is seriously pathetic.

We don't know what Bailey can bring to the table, just like we don't know what Sheedy didn't bring to the table.

I trust that after this long process, the club has chosen the right man and for the right reasons. The club probably recognised that we are not serious contenders going into 2008/2009 and have therefore decided that Sheedy is not the right man for the job.

Whatever happens and whoever is chosen, please PLEASE don't deny your club your membership money. We need every cent we can get and as many supporters as we can to get on board. Many here wanted Daniher gone (myself included), and the board delivered. Have some faith in the club and support it.

This is a new era for the MFC and we can only hope it's a vast improvement on the last 40+ years.

Good call!!!

The media have no idea who Melbourne has chosen, they're just guessing. One thing is certain though, no matter who is chosen there will be people upset with the decision.

Not so sure about the first part but on the second you are absolutely correct.