Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Soccer thread

45HG

Hahahhhha Spurs chit the bed again, this time at Chelski. Up 2-0 at the half and totally lost there bottle to draw 2-2 to an average side. 

Spurs had something like 8 yellow cards and should have had a couple of reds. 

LCity the champions!! Unbelievable.

Edited by Cards13
  • Like 2

Well done to Leicester! ... 5000-1 outsider at one stage

It's one for the ages

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Hahahhhha Spurs chit the bed again, this time at Chelski. Up 2-0 at the half and totally lost there bottle to draw 2-2 to an average side. 

Spurs had something like 8 yellow cards and should have had a couple of reds. 

I'm partly to blame. For the 3rd time this season, I've tuned in late during a Spurs game only to see them concede a goal and either lose or draw.

Woke at about 6.30am today, checked the score on my mobile, and debated whether I should watch the closing stages - sure enough, Hazard scored about 30 seconds after I turned on the telly.

I only saw the end of the game but Spurs were playing feral football and there was a dust-up in the tunnel as the teams left the pitch.

Well done to the Foxes - they are deserving winners after a very consistent season. 

City host Arsenal next weekend as the fight for Champions League spots continues, bearing in mind they also play Real on Thursday in the return match at the Bernabeu. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grapeviney said:

I'm partly to blame. For the 3rd time this season, I've tuned in late during a Spurs game only to see them concede a goal and either lose or draw.

Woke at about 6.30am today, checked the score on my mobile, and debated whether I should watch the closing stages - sure enough, Hazard scored about 30 seconds after I turned on the telly.

I only saw the end of the game but Spurs were playing feral football and there was a dust-up in the tunnel as the teams left the pitch.

Well done to the Foxes - they are deserving winners after a very consistent season. 

City host Arsenal next weekend as the fight for Champions League spots continues, bearing in mind they also play Real on Thursday in the return match at the Bernabeu. 

I had grand plans to watch it all, tuned in at half time. It was an average game, Spurs were cruising, Chelsea looked terrible literally besides the goals. Yea push and shove, old Aussie Gus got knocked over as part of it.

• Like 1

Leicester's triumph is just a great story and I can't see them necessarily dropping away ... they've already got a terrific starting 11 with some able back-ups and with the big TV money kicking in before the start of next season, they've got a real chance to strengthen their squad ... there's also the extra Champions league money (tens of millions of dollars) to consider.  Plus, Leicester have got rich ownership.

Leicester's record against the big 6 clubs was also a positive (16pts vs 13 pts) - all things considered, they did a hell of a lot of things right and are fully deserved champions.  The stars aligned.

As of next season, the spending power of all 20 of the Premier league clubs will reach unprecedented levels ... the league may well get even more competitive with more of the smaller clubs featuring.  Squads will almost certainly be richer in talent so injuries (or the lack of injuries) will play a big part - we're entering a new phase where the overall outcomes won't be as predictable (IMO)

Massive new English Premier League TV deal has the rest of European soccer worried

EPL teams, obviously, are thrilled.  As the Guardian reports, even the league’s last-place team will receive around $152 million annually, while the champion should rake in about $240 million.  And with more television money comes higher salaries for players.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

^^^ Thanks for the link, Macca, hadn't seen that. 

The dollars involved are just staggering, and it's easy to see how players in other top European leagues will be lured to the EPL if salaries jump commensurately to the value of the broadcast deal. 

Not sure what UEFA can do about it though..?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

^^^ Thanks for the link, Macca, hadn't seen that. 

The dollars involved are just staggering, and it's easy to see how players in other top European leagues will be lured to the EPL if salaries jump commensurately to the value of the broadcast deal. 

Not sure what UEFA can do about it though..?

And there's every chance that the TV money* could keep rising at a rapid rate ... not so much from the money that the EPL gets from 'Sky', but the rights money from all the other broadcasters from all the other countries that have a high interest in the EPL.

Optus here paid a premium for the rights, so much so that Foxtel opted out (or were outbid) ... in an open market, these things happen and there's not much that the other leagues can do to stop it other than to make their own leagues more attractive to a worldwide audience. 

But the EPL is booming just about everywhere and I can't see things slowing down in a hurry.  The principles that apply in business also applies to sport - so we could easily end up with a super league much like the NBA, NHL & the MLB are in those sports.

*The greater TV rights money will effectively give more spending power to all the EPL clubs which should in turn even up the competition - which will create even greater interest.  

• Like 1

I believe either Liverpool or Sevilla will qualify directly for the group stage of the Champions league if either wins the Europa league.

A prized spot has been opened up because the Champions league finalists (who automatically qualify for next seasons Champions league) have already qualified because of where they will finish in La Liga.  Those teams of course are Atletico Madrid & Real Madrid.

So, it's possible that either England or Spain could have 5 teams represented in the Champions league next season (4th place in either league goes into the playoff round for the Champions league group stage)  Spain had 5 teams in this year's Champions league (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla* & Valencia)

*Sevilla won the Europa league last season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

I believe either Liverpool or Sevilla will qualify directly for the group stage of the Champions league if either wins the Europa league.

A prized spot has been opened up because the Champions league finalists (who automatically qualify for next seasons Champions league) have already qualified because of where they will finish in La Liga.  Those teams of course are Atletico Madrid & Real Madrid.

So, it's possible that either England or Spain could have 5 teams represented in the Champions league next season (4th place in either league goes into the playoff round for the Champions league group stage)  Spain had 5 teams in this year's Champions league (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla* & Valencia)

*Sevilla won the Europa league last season.

No need for the 'or Sevilla' bit :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

No need for the 'or Sevilla' bit :)

Ha! ... all of a sudden there's a lot to play for - the Europa league might be finally gaining a bit of gloss :ph34r:

Getting into the Champions league equals a lot of extra dollars ( a total of €1.257bn. is distributed to the 32 qualified teams - depending on performance) ... and of course, signing top quality talent becomes a lot easier as well for teams who are involved in the UCL.

My team (the Hammers) can still get to 4th if we can win out and if Arsenal can defeat Man City on Sunday (or if City lose at Swansea instead - in the final round)  The EPL might provide one final twist and Man Utd could get to 4th as well (United are at West Ham next Wed morning)

Edited by Macca

1 minute ago, Macca said:

Ha! ... all of a sudden there's a lot to play for - the Europa league might be finally gaining a bit of gloss :ph34r:

Getting into the Champions league equals a lot of extra dollars ( €50m for those clubs who advance to the play-offs) and of course, signing top quality talent becomes a lot easier as well for teams who are involved in the UCL.

My team (the Hammers) can still get to 4th if we win out and if Arsenal can defeat Man City on Sunday (or if City lose at Swansea instead - in the final round)  The EPL might provide one final twist and Man Utd could get to at 4th as well.

Me and a mate were discussing this earlier actually but came to a dead end (aka had NFI).  Who exactly would 4th play in group qualifying should Liverpool win Europa?

6 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Me and a mate were discussing this earlier actually but came to a dead end (aka had NFI).  Who exactly would 4th play in group qualifying should Liverpool win Europa?

The complication arises is if one or both of the 2 teams that qualify for the Champions league final (this season) doesn't automatically qualify through their own leagues.  The spot or spots either opens up or it doesn't ... otherwise, the Europa league winner needs to qualify through the playoffs for the group stages (in the UCL)

Finishing 4th in the EPL or La Liga might mean facing Malmo or Rapid Wien for a spot in the group stages.  Or Club Brugge :ph34r:

• Like 1

So, there's still a bit to play for in the EPL ... (the first 2 points has more to do with the Spurs/Gunners rivalry)

• Tottenham will finish 2nd (and above Arsenal) if they win or draw* at Newcastle
  • Arsenal will finish 2nd if they win vs Villa and Tottenham lose at Newcastle
  • Man City will finish 3rd if they win at Swansea & Arsenal lose at home to Villa ... Arsenal would then finish 4th
  • Man Utd will finish 4th if they win their last game vs Bournemouth & Man City lose at Swansea
  • 7th spot on the table might secure a Europa league spot depending on various results (see link below)
  • West Ham, Southampton, Man Utd, Man City and/or Liverpool can or will secure a Europa League spot depending on a combination of results (again, see link below)  Either West Ham* or Southampton can only finish as high as 5th.
  • Man Utd can finish as low as 7th after losing at West Ham on Wednesday morning.

*goal difference is not a realistic factor with some of the above scenarios.

Remaining fixtures

Premier League permutations: Which clubs can still qualify for Europe next season?

Edited by Macca

• 2 weeks later...

27 minutes ago, Palace Dees said:

Good luck to the Mighty Eagles in a few hours.  A win tonight could only be bettered by the Dees winning the flag.

GO RED AND BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to barrack for Man Utd because I want my team (the Hammers) to get into the Europa league next season.

However, in the end, I'll be almost certainly wanting a Palace win ... it's always terrific when a team outside of the big clubs can win the FA cup.  Leicester vs Crystal Palace in the Community shield would certainly be different. 

Good luck.

Louis van Gaal expected to be replaced by Jose Mourinho within the next 24-48 hours ... apparently the news broke from a "source" at Man Utd before the FA cup final.  Winning the cup obviously wasn't going to change the decision by the looks of it. 

I suppose it's been the worst 'best kept secret' for an age but it will be good to have Jose involved again (for the villain factor?) ... the title race next year should be a beauty - especially if Chelsea, Man Utd & Liverpool can all feature. 

José Mourinho’s Manchester United task list as he prepares for Old Trafford

• 2 months later...

...AND WE'RE BACK>>>>>

Season kicks off tomorrow night but it looks like I'm stuck with the SBS coverage of just one match per week.

Have spent half my day trying to work out the Optus subscription, only to be told I have 2 options - watch it via an interrupted / lagging stream on TV, or watch it on my phone (yeh, cos watching sport on a tiny screen is just awesome..)

My phone's with Optus, so I'm eligible for it, but my internet service is with Telstra, and it's unreliable and prone to hiccups. Was prepared to switch to Optus internet, but apparently they can't offer a reliable connection - even via satellite - because I live in an apartment! Go figure.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Anyway, here's this week's line-up, with SBS broadcasting Hull v Leicester @ 9pm on Saturday night.

Saturday

Hull v Leicester  

Burnley v Swansea

Crystal Palace v West Bromwich

Everton v Tottenham

Middlesborough v Stoke 

Southampton v Watford

Man City v Sunderland

Sunday 

Bournemouth v Man U

Arsenal v Liverpool

Monday

Chelsea v West Ham 

Edit: Here's a tip Optus - don't buy the f...ing rights if you can't offer a quality product..

• Like 1

I ended up getting Fetch TV very cheap 'GV' because I'm with Optus (internet & home phone) already.  Basically restructured things for about the same price.  Fetch TV have a number of dedicated HD channels covering the EPL. 

But unless you've got that prior arrangement, you'll have to pay extra to get the EPL.  However, Optus may be able to offer a decent deal as I'm not sure they've had an abundance of start-ups.

It's good to see SBS covering a game a week regardless ... hopefully the game will be the regular 'lunchtime' match (UK time) so as viewers here can watch at a fan-friendly time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The SBS game this week is the lunchtime match ...

Tottenham vs Liverpool Saturday 9pm (AEST) 

Bit early to post up the standings but this table does update & reorganise itself as the results occur ... so I'll make sure to post it up as we move on to a new page on this thread.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^^^^^ (up to date table)

SBS game this week - Sat 9pm with a 9.30pm start ... Man Utd vs Man City. 

It's a pity the game clashes with the footy but the big derby could still attract a huge TV audience regardless.

Pretty good game at Old Trafford once Mourinho's men actually got going, by which time they were already 2-0 down.

Ibrahimovic will be ruing what should have been an absolute gimme for his second right on half time, but didn't realise how much time and space he had for the shot. 

As it is, his goal means he has now scored in a string of top European derbies, including for Barca against both Real and Espanyol, the Milan derby for both Inter and AC, the Italia derby between Inter and Juve, for Ajax against Feyenoord and for Paris Saint Germaine v Marseilles. 

Elsewhere, Liverpool and Spurs both won big while Gunners needed a last-minute winner to get past the Saints at home. 

Your boys continued their inauspicious start to the season, Macca, succumbing to Watford after being two goals to the good. 

• Like 1

We (West Ham) are now in 40 points mode already ... the amount of points needed to escape relegation :ph34r:

Nah ... I'm not writing the season off yet but Slaven has a bit of work to do on a sieve-like defence.  I don't reckon we'll have too much trouble scoring enough goals.

Your Spurs were very good GV ... they dismantled Stoke completely.

Interesting to see how Chelsea go at Swansea tonight but Man City are looking good. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Big win to Liverpool last night ... and a big loss to Chelsea at home.

The SBS game tonight Hull vs Arsenal - coverage starts from 11.30pm

• Like 1