The Soccer thread

45HG

Socceroos @ India in a world cup qualifier on the Ch10 main channel now (game starts at 10.30pm) 

Martin Boyle is back and starting 

6 hours ago, Winners at last said:

2 - 0. Not impressive.

India parked the bus much like the Kiwi's did in the 2010 world cup

Our cohesion wasn't great although it was the first game in the group.  The mindset might have been to get some sort of win and no injuries

And we were always going to win the game unless India were able to replicate what the Kiwi's did in 2010 world cup (3 draws including a draw against mighty Italy) 

India just kicked it away all night but were very courageous in blocking shots.  They did about as well as they could do

Next up is Syria 10pm this Thursday (18th) 

21 hours ago, Macca said:

India parked the bus much like the Kiwi's did in the 2010 world cup

Our cohesion wasn't great although it was the first game in the group.  The mindset might have been to get some sort of win and no injuries

And we were always going to win the game unless India were able to replicate what the Kiwi's did in 2010 world cup (3 draws including a draw against mighty Italy) 

India just kicked it away all night but were very courageous in blocking shots.  They did about as well as they could do

Next up is Syria 10pm this Thursday (18th) 

Quite liked the 2nd goal, thought we worked it well to setup from the byline. Still gotta get the mox right but a win is a win.

• Like 1

Jackson Irvine breaks the deadlock after an hour

Prior to that, it has been a real arm wrestle with very few shots at goal (apart from Syria slamming one into the the right upright early in the game)

In other news, Roma have sacked Jose Mourinho and now he has been linked with Chelsea (again)

Edit: The Aussies finished strong in the end and could have scored a couple more

So 2 wins puts us at the top of the group and we're through to the next round with 1 game to play*

*Australia play Uzbekistan in their final group game next Tuesday at 10.30pm (Ch10)

Edited by Macca

Aussies final group match vs Uzbekistan (Ch10 from 9.50pm)

A draw means we top the group but a win means a probable match-up against a 3rd placegetter from another group (in a round of 16 match)

Aussies not impressive but Uzbekistan did play well and they are not a bad team.  But both teams didn't test out the opposition goalkeepers.  Oz lucky to receive a penalty

So next up is a round of 16 match against the best 3rd place getter from group A, C or D.  So either Palestine or Indonesia at this stage 

On 26/01/2024 at 22:53, Macca said:

Still coming to terms with it. You knew the day was coming but never wanted it to. Timing is interesting but I do believe him when he says he's running out of energy. Last year was very hard, the COVID season was horrible but even to have the drought breaking title winning season ripped through by COVID would have taken it out of everyone. 

I think he'll manage again, not for at least a year but he will be back. Whether it's German national team, PSG, Real, Socceroos, he'll be back. 

42 minutes ago, layzie said:

Still coming to terms with it. You knew the day was coming but never wanted it to. Timing is interesting but I do believe him when he says he's running out of energy. Last year was very hard, the COVID season was horrible but even to have the drought breaking title winning season ripped through by COVID would have taken it out of everyone. 

I think he'll manage again, not for at least a year but he will be back. Whether it's German national team, PSG, Real, Socceroos, he'll be back. 

Interesting that Klopp told the ownership in November and apparently Xabi Alonzo is odds on to get the position (according to the bookies) 

So the Aussies get past Indonesia 4-0 in a round of 16 match but now it gets really tough

Next assignment is a QF vs Saudi Arabia or South Korea.  The likes of Iraq, Iran, Qatar & Japan further on

This Saturday morning 3rd Feb at 2.30am 

Edited by Macca

Well if you're a neutral spectator of the EPL you were in for a treat this week. Arsenal were way too good for Liverpool and deserved the 3 points, for us it was one of our worst collective performances this year, I can't remember the last time the back 4 and GK had such a bad collective game. The Gunners wanted it more and kudos to them.

The title race is wide open again. (Real talk: Yesterday's result paves the way for City to take it out)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This list (below) came out a couple of months ago but the panel of judges amounted to 218 pundits and experts

Interesting that 11 of the top 54 are Manchester City players.  In a world-wide sport, that is an incredible number

Best 100 Football Players

The Bookies have Man City as having a 53% chance of winning the title, 35% Liverpool and Arsenal 12%

So the season definer is set down for next Monday morning (2.30am) - Liverpool vs Manchester City

Highlights from the Manchester Derby (Including the Haaland miss from point blank range - he is human after all!) 

Edited by Macca

• 5 weeks later...

2-2 in the Man Utd v Liverpool match at Old Trafford. Well played @roy11 your boys hung in there, absorbed our pressure early and deserved a point, Mainoo's goal was worthy of a winner. 

And so it does put somewhat of a dent in Liverpool's title challenge but it's still anyone's race. Arsenal with the slight advantage on top and +9 ahead on goal difference. Liverpool 2nd and Man City a point behind in 3rd. I think the happiest will be City now who will likely win out from here and with the form Arsenal are in I can see them knocking over most of their challenges in the coming weeks.

But it's not over till that final ball is kicked! 

5 hours ago, layzie said:

2-2 in the Man Utd v Liverpool match at Old Trafford. Well played @roy11 your boys hung in there, absorbed our pressure early and deserved a point, Mainoo's goal was worthy of a winner. 

And so it does put somewhat of a dent in Liverpool's title challenge but it's still anyone's race. Arsenal with the slight advantage on top and +9 ahead on goal difference. Liverpool 2nd and Man City a point behind in 3rd. I think the happiest will be City now who will likely win out from here and with the form Arsenal are in I can see them knocking over most of their challenges in the coming weeks.

But it's not over till that final ball is kicked! 

Liverpool should sell all their assets and fold tbh.

Knocked out of the fa cup by us AND dropped points in the league against us.

We are absolute cabbage. 

• 3 weeks later...

Any other Evertonians here?

I watched the derby against Liverpool yesterday. The Toffees went a long way to avoiding the drop and also put a serious dent in Liverpool's title hopes. Love it! 💙😁

Now I am waiting for a third round of points deduction for Everton ... they are clearly to blame for global warming and the conflict in Gaza!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Socceroos playing Bangladesh tonight at 8.45pm in a World Cup Qualifier but it's only on Paramount (streaming) 

Ch10(Bold) are replaying the match at 10.00am tomorrow (Friday) 

And Euro24 is on OptusSports exclusively

No matches on free-to-air at all

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2024 at 16:48, No. 31 said:

Anyone else following Euro 2024?

Yeah I've been watching. As much as possible anyway.

Good to see all the big nations make it through to the quarter finals, should make for some great matches. Spain and Germany probably the pick of them tomorrow but Portugal and France should be a ring-a-ding game as well.

England haven't really clicked but they get another chance to put it together against Switzerland who have been really impressive and I wouldn't be surprised if they pull off the upset. Great weekend of football coming up! 

Hoping for a Spain v Holland final.

While the standard from the "minnow" teams has been quite good the lack of scoring has been disappointing, France and England in particular.

13 hours ago, Jibroni said:

Hoping for a Spain v Holland final.

While the standard from the "minnow" teams has been quite good the lack of scoring has been disappointing, France and England in particular.

The talk is that Kane may not even start against Holland! He was well down against the Swiss, big call but a good case for Palmer to start. Headaches for Southgate coming up..

• Like 1