The Soccer thread

45HG

Soccer in Australia, or football as it's known around the world just took a step forward in this country today with a 4year deal with Foxtel and free to air for the first time for the FFA.

$166 million deal over 4 years. (Previous deal with Fox sports was $120mill/7years).

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8567038

Soccer in Australia, or football as it's known around the world just took a step forward in this country today with a 4year deal with Foxtel and free to air for the first time for the FFA.

$166 million deal over 4 years. (Previous deal with Fox sports was $120mill/7years).

http://wwos.ninemsn....aspx?id=8567038

The AFL and the A-League are pretty much the only reason I get Foxtel. Great to see the value of the A-League is increasing. Every team has been stepping up this year

The AFL and the A-League are pretty much the only reason I get Foxtel. Great to see the value of the A-League is increasing. Every team has been stepping up this year

Did you happen to see Flores' goal in Adelaide? Great goal.

• 6 months later...

Interestingly spoke to a mate in customs last week.. The Jordanian coach who was allegedly detained in customs for 4 hrs recently was actually on the wrong visa. He lied in his application and was therefore detained as a result. Just doing their job really. Amazing the fuss in the media as to the so called embarrassment to Australia and how the team will come out and play for him. I can imagine if I went to Jordan on a wrong visa that I had lied to obtain what would happen.

• 2 weeks later...

And off to Rio we go! That was a tense game.

A goal the other way and it could have been all over.

Well done! 3 qualifications in a row ... makes up a bit for getting so close, so many times.

Great result for the country but I wonder if the fact that we're going to Rio will have an impact on the continued existence of the AFL's western Sydney team. GWS is barely attracting an average of 10,000 and hasn't won a game this year and inevitably that must draw comparison with the Wanderers who have tasted great success and draw crowds well in excess of that figure.

The Giants are like us - an embarrassment for the competition but quite correctly as a development club have drawn much less flak. With the build up to Brazil the difference between the two codes is likely to be accentuated. Another poor season in 2014 could cause some deep thought at AFL headquarters.

Did it the hard way, coming down to very last game of the group, but fortunately avoided the HARDEST way. I wouldn't have fancied going into a playoff against the likes of Chile or the old foe, Uruguay.

Some very positive signs for the future in Oar and Rogic. Serious talents, both of them. The reality is that we'll likely get crushed in Rio, but who cares. A third World Cup in a row is a tremendous achievement. I might end up going to this one actually. Certainly beats Qatar.

Great game, I really rate Iraq as a football team, they've always been a tough opponent for us, I'm amazed they finished below both Oman and Jordan in our group. But then again they never get to play at home, so it takes it's toll.

Brazil will be interesting. The pass mark will be final 16. If we can avoid being grouped with any of Spain, England, Germany, Argentina & Brazil I think we'll have a shot of it. There will be 5 groups minus those teams.

Early prediction for our 23 man squad for Rio 2014.

Goalkeepers:

Schwarzer

Federeci

Defenders:

Neil

Olganovski

McKay

Carney

Spiranovic

North

Williams

Defensive Midfielders:

Wilkshire

Milligan

Jedinak

Emerton

Attacking Midfielders:

Bresciano

Cahill

Holman

Kewell

Rogic

Oar

Strikers:

Kruse

McDonald

Kennedy

Thompson

A few unlucky players maybe like Brosque, Troisi & Valeri.

Wonder what others thoughts are?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice equaliser from Cahill ... hopefully we can go on and win it.

For those without cable the game is on ABC Grandstand radio

Edit: Channel 2 are broadcasting the games involving Australia but tonight's game is on delay (10pm start)

Edit (2) ... now 3-1 in front

Edited by Macca

Horrible first half hour of the game last night v Kuwait, but once they settled they played reasonably well for the 4-1 win and looked to unearth a couple of decent young players in Luongo & Burns.

If they can knock off Oman on Tuesday then they're set to at least make the quarter finals. Just need to make sure they can avoid Japan for as long as possible.

I'm just looking forward to watching my 2nd team for this tournament, North Korea take the field today!

Horrible first half hour of the game last night v Kuwait, but once they settled they played reasonably well for the 4-1 win and looked to unearth a couple of decent young players in Luongo & Burns.

If they can knock off Oman on Tuesday then they're set to at least make the quarter finals. Just need to make sure they can avoid Japan for as long as possible.

I'm just looking forward to watching my 2nd team for this tournament, North Korea take the field today!

I guess we all see things differently ... I thought our first 5-10 minutes was average and then I thought we played really well for the rest of the match. It was a terrific open game in fact and we created plenty of chances. Kuwait were no match for us in the end but they had a go.

I'm quite happy with the 4-1 scoreline and if we win our group, we'll avoid Japan until at least the semi-finals. A good start and we've got plenty of scoring opportunities with Cahill & Luongo being quite dangerous up front.

Oman & especially South Korea will be much tougher opposition but I'm expecting at least 4 points from those other 2 group games - it might come down to goal difference to decide our group.

They were clinical last night with the 4-0 drubbing of Oman, a country that's troubled us in the past.

Now a sure thing of playing in the Quarter Finals and will play South Korea on Saturday to determine who tops the group.

Matt Leckie is establishing himself as a very good player as is Luongo.

And to make it all the more better they just completed the 7th leg of my 11 leg multi!

They were clinical last night with the 4-0 drubbing of Oman, a country that's troubled us in the past.

Now a sure thing of playing in the Quarter Finals and will play South Korea on Saturday to determine who tops the group.

Matt Leckie is establishing himself as a very good player as is Luongo.

And to make it all the more better they just completed the 7th leg of my 11 leg multi!

A draw will secure top spot but Ange likes to play to win.

In the crossover matches (in the QF's) we'd be up against the runners up in group B if we win our group and ... we'd play the winner of group B if we finish runners up in our group - hope that makes sense ... Group B

In a nutshell we'll now avoid Japan until at least the SF's and we may well avoid them until the final (if both teams make it that far) if we win our group and Japan win their group.

Disappointing we couldn't score at least ... still, it's not a disaster.

We're now going to have to defeat China to make the semi's (where we'll probably have to face Japan) Ironically, Japan would probably not be very happy with their potential match-up in the semi final

Lots of possession tonight but we didn't create enough real chances.

I know the finals now come quickly, but I would've preferred that Ange rested guys for the Oman game and started Cahill and co v Korea.

Oh well. We have to be good enough to beat China.

Then it will be Japan first then someone else instead of maybe the other way.

The biggest same is apparently if we beat China we are set to play Japan in Newcastle, which is such a shame for fans because that game deserves a bigger stadium or a bigger city (think Newcastle stadium is slightly bigger capacity than Melbourne but lets be honest Melbourne would do it better!).