Match of the Century (Tank Talk Merged)

I re-iterate my contention from another thread that whoever wins Round 22 Melbourne v Carlton has either the most naive footy department or the most undisciplined players.

Consider the consequences of winning that game!

There's only one hope left to avoid this disaster match....Carlton COULD beat Essendon the week after next. But no doubt Fev's thigh will play up with the scores level and 5 minutes to play. At last he's doing what he's told!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think the players EVER want to lose

The players will always try (despite what many posters suggest), but this can be well over-ridden by the selectors and the footy dept (with unfavourable rotations on match day.

Looking at Ess last year, Haw, Coll, and Carl in previous years and many others (including us in ?2003), it's naive to suggest that Clubs ("Clubs", not players) go flat out when draft picks are at stake.

Whether or not the players are trying is not the point. If they know it's in the best interest of the Club to lose,it's impossible to play with the same endeavour as when the reverse is the case.

Tell me how hard Carlton Footy Club tried after you've watched round 22.

I wouldnt fuss too much.. Carlton are actually playing ( well until they pull the pin! ) whilst I reckon we'd struggle to give the kids on the NAB ad a decent game.

Riley is either inept or doing exactly what he's been asked to do.

Doesnt always pay to take everything at face value

I re-iterate my contention from another thread that whoever wins Round 22 Melbourne v Carlton has either the most naive footy department or the most undisciplined players.

I thought this somewhat provocative statement would draw some comment.

Whenever I discuss rnd 22 with Carlton supporters they smugly, and confidently, inform me that there's no chance they'll win it. I'd like to be so confident that my Club is so realistic.

the Bluebaggers have Port, Ess the Roos and Us to finish off the year.. They might even beat the Bummers ( again ).Theyd certainly beat us on form at the moment. If they beat say Essendon they may as well beat us. Ratten is doing a reasonable jo with them and I think he would rather win than tank....we dont even have that luxury,we simply couldnt win if we tried at the moment..lol

We won't get the spoon ... even if we don't win another game. Couldn't care if we did or didn't. It's all rather moot.

I was simply replying to a part of another post! sheesh! :lol:

sheesh!

Sorry, Beelzebub, I wasn't having a go at you,I know it wasn't you that raised the topic of the "Spoon".

I just wanted to re-direct the conversation to the likely vital importance of not beating Carlton in round 22. It seems some of the respondents on this thread under-estimate it!

quite ok...:-)

It is a dilemma ... it's not even a case of foregoing pick 2 for 3 either as we need Carlton to lose their priority pick too.

Only a simpleton really is going to trot out the tired ol' " oh no ..we dont tank...we always play to win " line. This is an abject example of when a stategic retreat was preferrred as ever.. Just need to do it without looking like it.

Actually after the appointment of the coach this is the next most serious thing for the remainder of the year in my view.

It has great raminifications.

Depending on what picks we get for the draft it will influence the whole structure of our trades etc...WELL IT OUGHT TO !!

That in turn may colour the nature of who stays and who goes.

A lot pivots on that game.

We're sort of entirely in the reactive seat !! Dependent to a large degree on the success or otherwise of carlton. I rate them a chance ( normally ) against esendon and if that transpired we could have a reasonable game come rnd 22 if we both go in winless ( relatively ) ....well get the VCR's and personal recorders tuned...coz its going to be...well.. DIFFERENT !! lol

no Martha...teams dont tank... what ?? why did Brendon come off near the end? oh he had an important call to take !!

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this topic on 5th Aug, long before "Distance Demon" and "Ash 30" posted on the same topic, and which I feel strongly their posts should have been merged with mine.

I re-iterate my contention (in which few Demonlanders showed interest)... WHICHEVER SIDE WINS ROUND 22 BETWEEN MELB AND CARLTON HAS THE WEAKER(OR MOST NAIVE) CLUB LEADERSHIP!!!!!!!

I imagine most of us would hope this is the last year we ever want us to lose a match rather than win one.

I imagine most of us would hope this is the last year we ever want us to lose a match rather than win one.

carlton has alot more to lose than melbourne.

they lose a top 3 pick...we lose a pick arond pick 20 (and move down the order from pick 2 to pick 4...big deal)

I agree, Grazman.

Sylvanator, I think it's VERY important to us, though less so than it is to Carlton. It's even more important to Richmond that we don't let Carlton get away with it again. Hell! They beat us twice last year and put us out of the top 4, wrecking our premiership chances. They can beat us in round 22 in 2007! The only reason we beat them earlier this year was favourable umpiring(for once), accurate kicking by us, and crooked kicking by them. Let's get serious! You can have this one, Carlton! We'll wallop you in '08!!!!

carlton has alot more to lose than melbourne.

they lose a top 3 pick...we lose a pick arond pick 20 (and move down the order from pick 2 to pick 4...big deal)

Agree with that.

Carlton have way more to lose by winning.

And I can't physically go to a home and away game hoping my beloved Dees lose. Just won't happen.

I agree, Grazman.

Sylvanator, I think it's VERY important to us, though less so than it is to Carlton. It's even more important to Richmond that we don't let Carlton get away with it again. Hell! They beat us twice last year and put us out of the top 4, wrecking our premiership chances. They can beat us in round 22 in 2007! The only reason we beat them earlier this year was favourable umpiring(for once), accurate kicking by us, and crooked kicking by them. Let's get serious! You can have this one, Carlton! We'll wallop you in '08!!!!

JJC,

Will you be going to this match?

And if so will you be cheering on Carlton?

I posted this topic on 5th Aug, long before "Disance Demon" and "Ash 30" posted on the same topic, and which I feel strongly their posts` should have been merged with mine.

Congratulations Jack, you are a true visionary. Didn't mean to steal your thunder champ.

Here's a little mini merge for you, with this from my thread spelling out clearly the point you were making :

A Melbourne loss gives picks :

Melb : 2, 18, 20

Rich : 1, 17, 19

Carl : 3, 21

A Melbourne win :

Melb : 4, 20

Rich : 2, 17, 18

Carl : 1, 3, 19

While it's obvious Carlton have more to lose by winning, Melbournes draft position is still significantly better if it doesn't win.

No Melbourne supporter should really want to win this match.

And I can't physically go to a home and away game hoping my beloved Dees lose. Just won't happen.

See I don't understand this. By loving Melbourne, don't you want what's best for the club and what will best help the club in its quest for premiership success?

Assuming you do, then let me ask you this: which scenario best helps the club, beating Carlton or losing to Carlton?

It's not as if hoping we lose is not showing your support to the club. In fact it's the opposite. Hoping we lose is actually showing that you want what's best for the MFC.