An open letter to Paul Gardner

Dear Mr Gardner,

To say that I am furious would be a serious understatement. Where to start? Well back when we lost my favourite player Shane Woewodin I sat there and weeped and took it, ok if thats what we have to do thats what we have to do. Did we gain a premiership out of losing our Brownlow medalist? Nope, so why did we do it?

I for one believe a club president should be seen and not heard. I should see you at the games but frankly I do not want to hear your opinion of how the game was splashed all over the press, I do not want to see your face popping up on The Footy Show, I do not want to hear you having a go at the players or coach on the radio. Why? Because your football experience amounts to as much as mine, so if you have an opinion join Demonland and vent it there and focus on doing your job and getting us out of financial strife.

And IF you have to get your mug all over the press at least stick to your word. I believe you said that 'discussion regarding the coaching position would not happen to the end of the season'. So what happens? Neale Daniher is grossly disrespected and handed an unreasonable review mid-season. And ho-hum 2 days later he is out. I DO NOT BLAME THE GUY. You gave your word and treated our 10 year coach like a piece of dirt. I would've left if I was in his position too, obviously you clearly are incapable of giving the great man the respect he deserves. He might have left but he was pushed.

So Mr Gardner I hope you are quite satisfied as now you have been saved the messy work of firing the coach how convenient for you. But know you just lost the heart and soul of the club. Neale Daniher not only coached, he spruiked, he bled, he cried and always had a sense of humour about everything concerning the club.

I look forward to the release of our Annual Report and if our financials are not up to scratch I will let you guess whos blood I will be calling for then.

Regards

Demonlanders spare the abuse how ND is crap etc hes gone do your victory dance, however know that when we are in the same position as next year I will be the one saying I told you so

Thank god that 99% of Melbourne supporters support THE CLUB, and not the individuals.

The club has handled the situation admirably, and has done the best it could in very difficult circumstances.

Gardner said the club won't talk about Daniher until the season was over, well guess what, the season IS over. We can't make the finals and we've won 2 games in case you forgot.

The time to act is now, so that both Melbourne and Daniher have plenty of time to decide what they want to do next year.

Daniher was not sacked, he was given the review and decided to quit. Good on him, he's putting the club's needs first as always.

We are a business, and we're allowed to review our employees if we don't think they are performing up to our standard.

Oh and comparing the Woewodin trade to Daniher's resignation just further proves that you care about the individual more than the club.

I bet you'll be thrilled if we win a flag under a new coach next year, won't you?

Dear Mr Gardener

To say that I am furious would be a serious understatement. Where to start? Well back when we lost my favourite player Shane Woewodin I sat there and weeped and took it, ok if thats what we have to do thats what we have to do. Did we gain a premiership out of losing our Brownlow medalist? Nope, so why did we do it?

I for one believe a club president should be seen and not heard. I should see you at the games but frankly I do not want to hear your opinion of how the game was splashed all over the press, I do not want to see your face popping up on The Footy Show, I do not want to hear you having a go at the players or coach on the radio. Why? Because your football experience amounts to as much as mine, so if you have an opinion join Demonland and vent it there and focus on doing your job and getting us out of financial strife.

And IF you have to get your mug all over the press at least stick to your word. I believe you said that 'discussion regarding the coaching position would not happen to the end of the season'. So what happens? Neale Daniher is grossly disrespected and handed an unreasonable review mid-season. And ho-hum 2 days later he is out. I DO NOT BLAME THE GUY. You gave your word and treated our 10 year coach like a piece of dirt. I would've left if I was in his position too, obviously you clearly are incapable of giving the great man the respect he deserves. He might have left but he was pushed.

So Mr Gardener I hope you are quite satisfied as now you have been saved the messy work of firing the coach how convenient for you. But know you just lost the heart and soul of the club. Neale Daniher not only coached, he spruiked, he bled, he cried and always had a sense of humour about everything concerning the club.

I look forward to the release of our Annual Report and if our financials are not up to scratch I will let you guess whos blood I will be calling for then.

Regards

Demonlanders spare the abuse how ND is crap etc hes gone do your victory dance, however know that when we are in the same position as next year I will be the one saying I told you so

I couldn't have said it any better than that. Well done.

Quite clearly On the Demon bandwagon you found last weeks effort to be acceptable.

The football dept has the microscope turned onto it for one reason alone........performance!

Mark Thompson went through a similar review with the Cats last year, and worked through it.

Danners chose not to, and decided to move on.

Gardner has done nothing more than be an administrator looking to improve the performance of the club. To blame him for lying, or acting maliciously is just ridiculous!

Gardner didn't sack Daniher.......he simply called for a review of the football dept in preparation for next year........shrewd business management IMO!

He definitely hasn't been treated like a piece of dirt. That is just garbage! He wasn't knifed in the back, summoned before the board and sacked, or had his future leaked to the media first. A review into job and department performance is no more or less than anyone has to go through in a normal job.

I have been a big fan of Danners over the years.......he has been great for the MFC, and the club great for him. There are no losers from this situation. I feel a touch of sadness he will be going, but it simply makes sense.....now is the right time........we need change!

Dear Mr Gardner,

So Mr Gardner I hope you are quite satisfied as now you have been saved the messy work of firing the coach how convenient for you. But know you just lost the heart and soul of the club. Neale Daniher not only coached, he spruiked, he bled, he cried and always had a sense of humour about everything concerning the club.

Regards

Why bring Paul Gardner into it? If the players had "bled" and "cried" for the club like Danners did, he would still be there.

I find this thread a little strange to say the least. I think both the club and Danners have handled the matter with maturity and dignity. I'm bemused you've chosen to use Woey as a comparative measure, It was Danner's decision to trade him in the first place.

I find this thread a little strange to say the least. I think both the club and Danners have handled the matter with maturity and dignity. I'm bemused you've chosen to use Woey as a comparative measure, It was Danner's decision to trade him in the first place.

There is nothing common about common sense :rolleyes:

And didn't we ban the use of the word 'Woewodin' a while ago? :lol:

What a load of tripe.

Well done Paul, fans continually call for the coaches, recruiters or players head and you consistantly maintain a supportive culture. A review was timely and warranted, stakeholders have every right to know what the course of action is after such a weak and insipid season to date. I personally believe that the statement issued to media was perfect, why let the vultures know more than they need to.

To be honest, who the [censored] knows what went on at board level and what was actually communicated to Neale regarding the review, the fact is Neale chose to walk, rather than be part of the review and to be honest, I'm happy he did, we would never have won a premiership under Neale and the new coach is going to need to change a few attitudes amongst the senior playing group to taste any sort of success.

I only hope the new coach can get more out of the talented likes of TJ, Bruce, Green and Robertson.

Mate your letter should be about supporting the club not trying to be negative. Neal new the criteria when he took the job and new what was in front of him at the beginning of the season. Gardiner would have had many discussions with him regarding his future etc. Lets face the Facts the guy has had 10yrs to win a flag yes he did put his heart & soul into the club no one is questoning that hence he can coach out his contract.But you fail to understand that maybey its not just about this years result.

2004 on top of the ladder round 18 lose the next 4 in a row drop out of the top four lose to essendon first final

2005 second on the ladder round 11 lose the next 7 in row just make the eight flogged by Geelong in fnal

2006 in the top four towards the end of season lose to bottom place Carlton & in front against the cats by 8 goals during the 3rd qtr and come away with a

draw. Drop out of top four & miss double chance again. Win first final but have to travel to Perth to play Freo and lose.

2003 Finish down the bottom after playing finals in 2002.

2001 Finish out of the Eight after playing in Grand Final.

1999 Finish down the bottom after playing in prelim final in 98.

The main issue is MENTAL TOUGHNESS I could excuse 99,01,03 ageing list etc but the last 4 years results clearly show that their is a problem and he just cant fix it and tough decisions need to be made. We need a complete review of the footy dept and changes need to be made. This now will also put a lot of players on notice and will give the club plenty of time to appoinnt the best person for the job. We should treat Neal with dignity and applaud his efforts but also applaud the club for saying that we need to get some fresh eyes & ideas.

Demon Bandwagon,

The irony in your post comes from your user name. Bagging Paul Gardner and holding him soley responsible for the clubs financial situation is weak. Supporters of the Melbourne football club have been heavily labeled in the media as "[censored] weak" (Brian Taylor) and "bandwangon supporters" your user name displays this. Paul Gardnier has done a terrific job since his take over, however it is a general nature of the Melbounre Football Club to have a mediocre fanbase, players, facilities and power within the AFL. No one fears Melbourne, sadly I am inclined to agree that we are a "[censored] weak club" and something needs to change. You say, ND "bleds" and "has a sense of humour" but this is no reason to keep him at the club. Obviously you are are big ND fan, but it is time for a change, something needs to be done to take out the "softness" in Melbounre. I think ND showed cracks in his tactical approach to game day and did not get the most out of his players, he accept mediocre performances on and off the field. While he was a great ambassador for the club it is time for a change. Dont be angry at Gardnier for going back on his word. In the business world you will find that someones word accounts for nothing, and while that might make them seem a [censored], they have there best intentions for the club at heart and not the individual.

BY the way, what do you reckon the chances of Paul Garndier stumbling across this letter are? lol

What a load of tripe.

To be honest, who the [censored] knows what went on at board level and what was actually communicated to Neale regarding the review, the fact is Neale chose to walk

I only hope the new coach can get more out of the talented likes of TJ, Bruce, Green and Robertson.

Sleeve, what you say here is pretty much bulldust too. We all got a pretty good window into Paul's mindset over the past 4 or so days. If nothing was going to happen to Neale after what he said then shoot us all now. The blowtorch had well & truly been lit . Neale was gone!

Out of curiosity, of the players you mention, who of them do you reckon will be around to see the new coach?

Dear Mr Gardener

I must have heard 100 interpretations and opinions on todays events and many of them, like yours, lack balance.

Paul Gardner and the board of the MFC are charged with acting in the interests of the MFC not Neale Daniher (that is his managers job). There is no doubt ND's record as cheer leader, spruiker and loyal servant would have been taken into account in any job review or potential contract renewal but at the end of the day he is first and foremost the coach, charged with winning football matches or at the minimum turning out competitive teams.

Paul Gardner has done nothing extraordinary in this process that many members would have demanded (as a minimum) and all he said was that performances like last Fridays are not acceptable and there would be a review from now (following up on his statement earlier this year that it would occur when the season is over). Like most of us he didn't expect it to be over by round 12 so this is where the review begins, why wait?

The position was always going to be up for review in any case and ND could have guttsed the season out and reapplied. He choose not to and I commend him for that because I don't think he could get any more out of the players and there was no point tarnishing his reputation with players who talk the talk but don't do the other bit.

If you want to lay blame anywhere then I would point the finger at the players and the consequences for some of them are still to be realised. Injuries aside the performances this year have still been well below par.

What a load of crap this thread is and goes to show why we are rated a soft club in the eyes of the football world, take the emotion of out of it.

Oh and people seem to forget that ND had a clause in his contract (he had it put in) that he had to have some sought of indication by July 31st if he was to get the job next year(please correct me if I am wrong) and he could have walked at the end of the year, what would you have said then?

I am glad tha PG is conducting the review now and not later and goes to show that he has the balls to make hard decisions regarding the football department.

Firstly I couldnt care less how to spell Paul Gardners name, he is a member of our board, again I am not why he continues to push his agenda in the media, I would rather see our players out there than him. I think a culture of club presidents is developing where they think they are bigger than the players eg Butters, Kennett etc. I did not blame him for our financial situation I think he should focus more on it than he is currently doing.

Lastly I stole this style of post from Perez Hilton and I do not think that Paul Gardner will stumble across this but I can dream

We all got a pretty good window into Paul's mindset over the past 4 or so days. If nothing was going to happen to Neale after what he said then shoot us all now. The blowtorch had well & truly been lit by then. Neale was gone!

I don't agree! (and clearly none of us really know)

Gardner has always supported Daniher. I think he has a lot more respect for the guy than to just tell him it was going to be tough for him to keep his job.

My take on it, which is based on nothing, is that Danners was told there was going to be a rigorous review of all sections of the football dept, and he decided that he wasn't ready to jump through those hoops.

Let's not forget his interview on Footy Classified a few weeks ago..........he was hardly committing himself to staying on as coach for 2008, or saying he was desperate to stay on as coach.

What a load of crap this thread is and goes to show why we are rated a soft club in the eyes of the football world, take the emotion of out of it.

Soft? I won't rain on yur parade here D3165 but ol joe footyhead public out there still smirks at how supa soft this club has been for delaying the inevitable for so long.

I think a culture of club presidents is developing where they think they are bigger than the players eg Butters, Kennett etc.

Gardner is nothing like Butterss or Kennett, and Daniher's review was based on nothing else but his performance as coach. Unlike what happened at St.Kilda.

And being a small club, we need all the publicity we can get.

Gardner has really pushed Melbourne's cause in the media, he made it clear that we deserve AFL funding just like all other clubs get in some form or another (e.g.- Collingwood's draw).

He works in advertising so he knows exactly what it takes to promote this club.

I did not blame him for our financial situation I think he should focus more on it than he is currently doing.

What the hell would you know about what he does off the field?

I know a number of board members and people who are close to Gardner, and I can tell you that he works tirelessly to better this club.

Steve Harris, our CEO is actually responsible for financing and both he and our president have done a wonderful job getting us back on track.

We were in millions of dollars of debt when those two took over, and this year, we'll be making a profit. Not to mention that after years of being homeless, we're finally starting to build ourselves some decent facilities. That is a huge deal!

Lastly I stole this style of post from Perez Hilton

Well that just about sums it up...

Don't get offended, just making you accountable that's all. :rolleyes:

Oh and people seem to forget that ND had a clause in his contract (he had it put in) that he had to have some sought of indication by July 31st if he was to get the job next year(please correct me if I am wrong) and he could have walked at the end of the year, what would you have said then?

I am glad tha PG is conducting the review now and not later and goes to show that he has the balls to make hard decisions regarding the football department.

Spot on!

This emotion is for the coach who is leaving.........get ready for the uproar when some very tough calls are going to have to be made on some players!

Gardner is nothing like Butterss or Kennett, and Daniher's review was based on nothing else but his performance as coach. Unlike what happened at St.Kilda.

And being a small club, we need all the publicity we can get.

Gardner has really pushed Melbourne's cause in the media, he made it clear that we deserve AFL funding just like all other clubs get in some form or another (e.g.- Collingwood's draw).

He works in advertising so he knows exactly what it takes to promote this club.

What the hell would you know about what he does off the field?

I know a number of board members and people who are close to Gardner, and I can tell you that he works tirelessly to better this club.

Steve Harris, our CEO is actually responsible for financing and both he and our president have done a wonderful job getting us back on track.

We were in millions of dollars of debt when those two took over, and this year, we'll be making a profit. Not to mention that after years of being homeless, we're finally starting to build ourselves some decent facilities. That is a huge deal!

Well that just about sums it up...

Don't get offended, just making you accountable that's all. :rolleyes:

I do not think promotion is losing the coach half way through the season thats my opinion, it will do nothing for team morale.

Gardner publicly gave his word then went back on it very publicly that also doesnt promote the club well to me. I have never said he has done a bad job I think he should just be more concerned with it. I would rather see more of our players on The Footy Show etc than him. Also I do work on three other football clubs with similar financial situations to ours so I do know what we are up against and far we have to go to even catch up and I would like to see a greater focus on that than Gardners mug on TV.

Oh you know what Perez Hilton is that is suprising :-p

Team Morale.... we're 2 and 9... this isn't about this year anymore it's about next year and the year after. It was clear after Friday night that there was no more that Danner's could do with this group.... What would have been stupid was to have made a decision and sat on our hands for the next ten weeks and waited.

And this will also hopefully be a huge incentive to get the best possible replacement coach that we can.......

I don't think anyone here dislikes Daniher, Bandwagon, nor do we want him to be treated unfairly, but the reality is that after ten years with no flag, and truth be told little influence in the finals that we did make, not achieving expectations, yo-yo form (both from year to year and within a season) and a genuine feeling that there is something missing within the group of players that he has assembled, the time has come when a change is necessary for both the man and the club.

I have always been a fan of Daniher (and today does feel a little sad), you can't help but like him, but you do reach a point when the only way forward is to make the break, and that has now been done with plenty of class and dignity from a man I would expect nothing less from. Gardner has done what he and his advisers believe is in the best interests of the club. And Neale can hold his head high and be thanked sincerely for his hard work, but it is simply time for a change.

And change doesn't have to always be a negative, and hopefully this particular one won't be. For either party :) !!!