Melbournefc Statement - Review of Football Department

Gorgoroth

Why would Melbourne want to go from one coach who can't get the best out of his players to another?

Very succinctly put.

Anyone remember the Walls/Northey coaching swap. Didn't make a difference at either Brisbane or Richmond.

Connolly is outwardly far too much like Neale for my liking. Weren't both hired by Cameron Schwab?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I unfortunately was out.. missed it..

Did they square him up and point blank ask Voss ,if he was offered the Dee job would he take it ?

I unfortunately was out.. missed it..

Did they square him up and point blank ask Voss ,if he was offered the Dee job would he take it ?

He didn’t categorically say but I reckon he'd take the job in a heartbeat.

was the question actually asked ? or just hinted at ?...just curious, esp with one G Lyon sitting there :-)

was the question actually asked ? or just hinted at ?...just curious, esp with one G Lyon sitting there :-)

They asked him if he'd leave Brisbane to coach. He said yes.

They asked him if he's got a team of assistants in mind ready to go. He said yes.

They asked him if he had a plan. He said yes.

They ask him if he'd be ready to coach and could coach next year. He said yes.

When asked whether he'd take a senior job if it became available, he said that at the moment it is a hypothetical as no job is available.

The thing I found interesting was he said that it's important to him to go into a club with good resources and managment, which is where he might reject our offer. Compare our footy department and facilities to that of Brisbane's, and you might understand why Voss may find that we haven't got the resources to support his vision.

He didn't put as much emphasis on the list, and you get the feeling that regardless of who he coaches, he'll make significant changes to their list.

Words cannot describe how much I'd love for him to coach us, even as an assistant. We just have to get his services if we want the attitude of our club to change. He is ruthless, thoughtful, strong, articulated and inspirational. And if every one of our players became half as good or worked half as hard as he did, we would be in a very very strong position to challenge for a premiership.

in the immortal words of Harry Hoo..........amazing !!!!!

handed document on his future, handed a review document that he is to look at and what needs to be done and what a new coaches would need to do, also has to do a psychological test as well.

umm...why does ND have to do a psyche test.

is the hierachy worried ND's gone crazy?

Maybe they think his crazy for not to playing Newton?

a psyche test might reveal thought capabilites, problem solving etc.. How he ticks in plain speak !!

a psyche test might reveal thought capabilites, problem solving etc.. How he ticks in plain speak !!

It would've been nice if they did the physche test 10 years ago. :rolleyes:

Nah... seriously, he has been a great marketing tool/promoter for mfc but his greatest weakness is his undying faith in his playas. If they let him down, he'll continue to stick with them in a hope they'll turn it around. The playas took advantage of that.

And he doesn't have a game plan. Run n Carry. :wacko:

keep in mind Jaded, he might sensibly look to back himself with a little insurance , a - la Wallace and want say a decent time frame to do something. In that time frame we ( MFC ) willl gain decent facilities etc. We might not look to brilliant today, but a few years dwon the track ....not so shabby !! :-)

:wacko: Lets face when a review is conducted and you are made to jump thru hoops to keep your job as coach its basically saying see you later mate. I feel for Daniher as much as I wanted to see him win a flag because he put his heart & soul into the club it cames a time when our entire footy dept & playng list needs to be reviewed and there is no easy or nice way of doing it. Gardner & the board have a resposibilty to ensure that no stone is left unturned to find the best solutons to win a flag for the MFC and unfortunately the coach has had 10yrs & our senior list continue to go missing. They just need to ensure that we treat Daniher with has much dignity as possible and both partys walk away with no bad feelings.

Something that bemuses me with all the talk regarding Danners and his contributions etc..is........... he is PAID to do all this...he is paid very hansomely to be a coach. I have no doubt he has tried. Given his all in that capacity. Just one problem. His all isnt enough. if this was any other buisness and he'd been at the helm for 10 years with no real progress to show for it he would be summarily jettisoned with a DCM !! He'd be gone tomorrow.

He will probably get to stay til the end of the season. He'll stil get the rest of this years salary. He even still has a chance to plead and pitch for his job. Where else can you do this ??

I dont dislike the bloke. Im not sure if anyone does. Its not about that. Its about results. This is a purely result driven environment. Daniher will haver realised this when he came on board. It can come as no suprise that events will spiral and take on their own voracity and momentum.

According to some nameless article in today's Age he's a bit shell shocked. I cant imagine why. If he hasnt seen the truck coming its only because he was driving it himself.

We have wanted our club to stop being wishy washy. To take action, to get angry and want results. I for one am glad to see somthing actually happening. it would seem Gardner and Co have very diffferent criteria before them now than was before the Board that originally hired Neale. Isnt this what we want ?

And on to Voss. Im really in two minds regarding Vossy. he seems to havfe all the attributes. he's saying all the right things. I like his go getting style; that things CAN happen, extraodinary things !! I like it.

Im concerned because I see no runs on the board. There's nothing tangible to measure.

If MFC choose him, i'll be happy enough. He would certainly represent a new "no sh!t tolerated here" era a the club. I can thelp but feel the very nature of Danners trust of the players has backfired on him.... familiarity breeds contempt.

Time will tell.

Anyone else in two minds ?

This is already a long thread, so I'll just ask. Has anyone else made the comparison between Geelong and us yet?

It may not hold much weight as the cats of last year are better then we are this year. But the theory is sound...

The Geelong cae is different, they had 1 bad year, we have a track record of massive slumps mid season, a bad year every second year etc etc.

Jaded voss actually said a big factor was the club moving in the right direction. We are doing that, and he would benefit the year after with brand new facilities.

Lyon said " not wanting to use MFC as club, lets say greensbrough came into the league"

voss then said all that which i wrote above, i believe he has Lyons backing and both Hutchy and Wilson's think he could step to the plate and duck who was against it said straight after the interviw that he was swayed a lot.

I think Voss would happily coach the MFC if we offer him the job in the next few weeks, but we have to do it before seasons end.

I think Voss would happily coach the MFC if we offer him the job in the next few weeks, but we have to do it before seasons end.

Maybe we need to start a "Pay so he may coach" thread? :lol:

I would absolutely love to get him to Melbourne, so much so that it is my new bandwagon to drive.

If it fails, big deal, we've been failing for 43 years!

And on to Voss. Im really in two minds regarding Vossy. he seems to havfe all the attributes. he's saying all the right things. I like his go getting style; that things CAN happen, extraodinary things !! I like it.

Im concerned because I see no runs on the board. There's nothing tangible to measure.

That sums up my views on Voss as well. There are certain current and former coaches I don't want to see appointed to the Melbourne job. Apart from that, as long as the board go through a proper process to find the person they think can do the job, that's all I'd ask for. Voss should be considered as part of that process.

I'm not asking this to put a case for or against ND, ie this is a legit question - has it happened before that a coach has had quite a long time (say 8 or more years) without ever winning a premiership but finaly pulled one off?

Not While I've been alive, it may have happened early last century but definitely not in modern footy. Most coaches win one withing the first 3 or 4 years as coach.

We have wanted our club to stop being wishy washy. To take action, to get angry and want results. I for one am glad to see somthing actually happening. it would seem Gardner and Co have very diffferent criteria before them now than was before the Board that originally hired Neale. Isnt this what we want ?

Spot on!

Supporters cry when nothing is done, and cry when when something is done!

It's the review we had to have..........no one in the football department should be suprised, or even annoyed about it.

It would be negligent of the club not to review the current situation, and determine the best way to move forward, whether that be with or without Daniher.

The season is completely derailed!

You don't get flogged by the bottom team if your on track.

It's not unfair on Neale at all............if he cannot get enough spark out of the group to get up for a Friday night game, after having had the pathetic season we have had to date, then unfortunately he and the group deserve the scrutiny.

It's definitely not unfair to members...........what's unfair is watching dispirited, weak and unaccountable football this season.

I dislike the way Paul Gardiner has gone to stir up this drama.....he ate his own words for saying to wait till the end of the season to do this. Caroline Wilson is right and I agree with all her comments last night and in The Age this morning.

I swear if the club gets connolly it will be a step backwards....

no thanks.

VOSSY FOR 2008!!!

He's got all the carachteristics that this club doesn't have, and needs

Success, ruthlessness, arrogance...

WE NEED VOSS!