Demon Meltdown

leucopogon

What a disgraceful performance by both coach and players tonight, unbelievably bad really.

I've been a firm member of the "Get Rid of Danners" brigade for a long time now and I think our ranks have grown on the back of what we saw out there tonight. Woefully outcoached.

However, the players aren't to be excused either. It was bull**** in a chefs salad from nearly the entire team.

The biggest observations that I take out of tonight are:

No Neitz, no Melbourne. Brock ain't ready to be captain. (PS neither is Bruce). I hope Neitz goes on to play and captain this club for at least two more years after what I saw tonight.

Has Robbo ever kept his feet in a one-on-one contest? Imagine how much more damaging he'd be as a forward.

Davey is fast rising to the top of my "trade list" alongside Bruce. He has been worked out by opposition teams and is not damaging at all like he was in his first year at the club.

Yze is gone, I reckon he's ripe for delisting (whats the story on his contract?). I swear I'll have an aneurism if I see hiim try to soccer or kick the ball from a seated postion or give away a cheap free for diving into someones back because he's nearly always second to the contest. He's not even a shadow of the player he used to be. What a shocking decision by Daniher to bring in Yze and not play Newton in the absence of Neitz. Probably wouldn't have made a difference to the result but what's the point of not blooding our up and comers in this now pointless season from hell.

Byron.........do us all a favour and get back on the turps.

The only positive thing about tonight:

we're back in the hunt for pick number 1 in the draft.

Brock will bounce back and be a very successful player for this football club. Tonight was his first truly poor match and it is very unfortunate that it happened on the same night that he debuted as captain.

Can't say the same for everyone else you mentioned, including the coach.

Not much to disagree with there and I am firmly with you in the need to get a new coach.

I will defend Yze though from last night. In the first quarter, his pressure on the right half forward flank/forward pocket directly led to a goal. The soccer off the ground is something he has been doing pretty much his whole career and he has a fair bit of skill at it. I'm not going to blame him just because he was clearly brought back too early from injury - reinjuring his groin is disgraceful from the medical staff.

He is an easy target but there were a lot worse than him and he only played a quarter and a half.

Brock will bounce back and be a very successful player for this football club. Tonight was his first truly poor match and it is very unfortunate that it happened on the same night that he debuted as captain.

Can't say the same for everyone else you mentioned, including the coach.

I agree, he will will bounce back.

I thought early on he was trying too hard, and wasnt letting his natural game flow and also a block or two from team mates would really help him as he was getting held at a lot of bounces, but then again we dont like to do the 1%ers.

Neale Daniher is a gonna in my books, i can't believe we lost. If yze wasn't 100% fit, why not bring in juice? and why did we hire BB, none of our players could hold any tackles. OUr players didn't come to play and neither did the coach, so now is the time to start looking for a new coach and get rid of the players we all know should go.

I want Vossy as my new coach, he may not have the experience but i am sure he is capable of leading a team to a flag. And even if he doesn't do well in his first season, there will be the experience and a high draft pick.

I thought early on he was trying too hard, and wasnt letting his natural game flow and also a block or two from team mates would really help him as he was getting held at a lot of bounces, but then again we dont like to do the 1%ers.

He was getting molested at the centre bounces, without a doubt.

Saw him being held a dozen times, BUT that is just the way things go when you are your team's most influential player. Any half decent coach would know that if you stop Brock McLean, you are 75% closer to beating Melbourne.

He was tagged heavily, not for the first time, but he really couldn't shake it last night.

Maybe he was trying too hard to prove that he should captain us, that he really badly wants the job. I still believe that he is head and shoulders above anyone else (obviously not taking Neita into consideration) in the leadership stakes, and I hope that he gets another chance to redeem himself. Maybe even next week if Neita is still not right.

I'm sure he'll be hurting so bad at the fact that he failed himself and the club last night. But he is one of those rare players who will probably feed on that hurt for breakfast and come out breathing fire next week.

God I hope so!

I was thinking about the state of affairs at our club lying in bed this morning and I don't think we've got the cattle to seriously challenge this year, the next or the year after. I can't be stuffed breaking down the stats of it all but based on gut instinct I reckon we're heading into a dynasty period for West Coast and Hawthorn with perhaps Geelong nipping at their heels.

The yo-yo effect of doing well one year and [censored] the next has meant we haven't had a sustained rebuilding period recently like Hawthorn where we've loaded up the list with priority picks. Sure CAC's done well, but in my opinion we haven't drafted enough versatility. Its been mainly in and under types like Jones and McLean. No serious KP gems have emerged and we are now one of the oldest teams going around.

As good as McLean, Bate, Jones, Bell, Petterd, Newton, Frawley, Sylvia, etc. are, I don't reckon they are as disciplined or as good as the young lists at West Coast, Hawthorn, Geelong and a host of other clubs. I can't see us ever winning a flag with this core of players.

Very depressed about MFC this morning.

On the other hand, maybe sweeping out the Football Dept. and bringing in a good coach while this core is still in development might turn things around. Hopefully Danners hasn't softened them beyond all help just yet.

Davey is fast rising to the top of my "trade list" alongside Bruce. He has been worked out by opposition teams and is not damaging at all like he was in his first year at the club.

Byron.........do us all a favour and get back on the turps.

Moronic statements like this show you up mate! Davey was one of two multiple goal kickers for the night, having played from the back pocket to the forward goal square for the whole evening. He had 7 tackles and remains the excitement machine that he always was except now he has developed into an exceptional play-maker over the whole ground... and having found this once in a lifetime talent, you want to trade him... OH YEAH! Next up you abuse a bloke who has fought his way back against great odds and was one of very few who hit the opposition with some agression. and forced turnovers by his presence alone. Put a little more thought into your analysis before you shoot your mouth off.

Garbage.

He's been moved full time into a position where he roams around the ground, spending much of his time in the guts. His body was not built for that sort of work.

He has not been figured out, he's being coached badly, depending on your point of view.

Davey is one of only a few that have MFC at heart.

Moronic statements like this show you up mate! Davey was one of two multiple goal kickers for the night, having played from the back pocket to the forward goal square for the whole evening. He had 7 tackles and remains the excitement machine that he always was except now he has developed into an exceptional play-maker over the whole ground... and having found this once in a lifetime talent, you want to trade him... OH YEAH! Next up you abuse a bloke who has fought his way back against great odds and was one of very few who hit the opposition with some agression. and forced turnovers by his presence alone. Put a little more thought into your analysis before you shoot your mouth off.

Oh you got me Wayne, I am a moron, a moron thats so sick of the inconsistent tripe thats been dished up by the club I've supported since I was a boy. Yeah I was a little rash in my judgement of Davey, we might as well keep him, perhaps he'll be played in the correct position by the next incumbent.

As for Pickett, I'll stick by my guns on that call. The guy gets no sympathy from me, he put himself in the predicament he faced just over a month ago. He broke the club rules, he was the one who was at a crossroads. He is also earning probably 8 times what I'm earning for playing for the red & blue. He's let us down big time and he did absolutely nothing last night to warrant his place in the team let alone win back any admiration from me. It takes more than dishing out a few cheap shots off the ball to be a good AFL footballer. His disposal by foot was almost as bad as Godfreys.

Very good point dude.

Watch this space as the game that turn Brock Mclean. He will learn so much from it.....for the better.