Nick Riewoldt

Choko

Exactly.

And your assessment of our midfield is spot on.

Junior is nearing the end, TJ is erratic, Green is better suited to the wing (he is not an inside ball winner), while Bruce is already 28.

So that leaves McLean and Jones as long term options. Who helps them out?

I wouldn't say no to Reiwoldt, hell, I'd welcome him with open arms despite his obvious downfalls, but the reality is, he'd cost us as much as Judd, and we'd be fighting for him with 8 over Victorian clubs. Whereas if Judd nominates Melbourne as his next home, it will reduce the bidding war significantly and will put us in a much better bargaining position.

Dal Santo will most likely get lost in the madness that is having Judd, Pavlich and Reiwoldt out of contact, so we might get a good deal for him.

28? i thought he was 27 if not 26 turning 27 soon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Dees could get Dal Santo or Riewoldt to the club would be a bonus, dont get me wrong.

But I think their value wouldnt be that different.

28? i thought he was 27 if not 26 turning 27 soon

28 in September (Born: 30/9/1979)

And how do you know that Judd will say he only wants to come to Melbourne? And even if he does, do you think other clubs are still not going to bombard West Coast with offers?

Nobody is going to sit back and watch the best player in the competition go to Melbourne without a fight.

And we ALWAYS need good players at Melbourne. Always.

I said Dal Santo would be cheaper than the other three, not that he would be cheap.

That may still mean a first round pick or a second round plus a good player but two of the other three are star KPPs and Judd... I still don't see that Melbourne are blessed with quality outside midfielders.

28 in September (Born: 30/9/1979)

And how do you know that Judd will say he only wants to come to Melbourne? And even if he does, do you think other clubs are still not going to bombard West Coast with offers?

Nobody is going to sit back and watch the best player in the competition go to Melbourne without a fight.

And we ALWAYS need good players at Melbourne. Always.

why would he leave WEST COAST?

he has a achived everythin a player could want already.... in short time...

except play for the club he barracked for as a kid....

may seem abit cliche' but, i dunno i really cant see him going anywhere else IF HE DOES LEAVE...

AND I REALLY CANT see the point in DAL santo....

mclean, jones, and bruce... even moloney....

dal santo getting his own ball??

TJ gets his own ball more often than dal santo, he has hayes and ball feeding it too him, and reiwoldt and gehrig make him look good!

where has he been whilst the saints have been struggling this year? skirting the back of packs, and not doing too much

reiwoldt on the other hand is strong, quick, fairly skilled, great mark, tall, brave, dunno about his leadership qualities too much, and is a marketers dream

you wanna know how to get reiwoldt? get grant thomas...

Guest redandbluethruandthru

when nick "revolt" gets a boo-boo and cries who is gunna wipe away his tears? I want our team to become the hard-as-rock fierce team that other teams fear to play because of our physical and mental toughness....which we are starting to develop with jones, brocky etc. give bate time to improve and he will be better than revolt in my humble opinon.

why would he leave WEST COAST?

Because he is home sick?

Because he doesn't agree with the culture of the club?

Because he is sick of the media circus surrounding the activities of his teammates?

Because he wants a new challenge?

Because he misses his mum's cooking?

Because Rebecca Twiggly wants to start a TV career in Melbourne?

There could be a million and one reasons why he would want to leave. A desire to play for his old club and lead them to a premiership could be one factor, but it might not actually help us get him. Not unless he says "deal with Melbourne, or I'm going into the PSD".

when nick "revolt" gets a boo-boo and cries who is gunna wipe away his tears? I want our team to become the hard-as-rock fierce team that other teams fear to play because of our physical and mental toughness....which we are starting to develop with jones, brocky etc. give bate time to improve and he will be better than revolt in my humble opinon.

thats a pitty... because i know a man that has no fear....

NICK REIWOLDT

Because he is home sick?

Because he doesn't agree with the culture of the club?

Because he is sick of the media circus surrounding the activities of his teammates?

Because he wants a new challenge?

Because he misses his mum's cooking?

Because Rebecca Twiggly wants to start a TV career in Melbourne?

There could be a million and one reasons why he would want to leave. A desire to play for his old club and lead them to a premiership could be one factor, but it might not actually help us get him. Not unless he says "deal with Melbourne, or I'm going into the PSD".

those reasons are all good an well...

but its a big step for the captain, their best player too walk away from his club.....

but i like ur post.... looks like he will be coming and we wont have to worry about dal santo ;)

It is well documented that Riewoldt was not happy Jan when Cornflakes got the sack. He is also out of contract at season's end.

Realistically, our chances of getting Judd to the club are close to zero.

However, I reckon it seems that Riewoldt may well be a great option bc he is a gutsy, hard working and skilled CHF who may actually be able to be lured.

I hope we are putting massive energy into getting him to the demons from 2008. It would enhance our list massively.

Hmm... if we traded Miller (which, honestly, looks like it would be best for Miller) then Riewolt would be a very handy addition without causing much intereference in the team structure.

The Demons have managed to keep a steady ship as far as club politics goes, despite a poor start to the season. I think it might be a good selling point to Riewolt that we have shown a few years now of no silly buggers tolerated in the club leadership and list management. Could this be the first tangible on-field benefit of Paul Gardiner's steady presidency? Certainly it's a point of difference between the Demons and Brisbane.

In a funny twist, Brisbane might take Miller if they can't get Riewolt, which could be the missing piece for us to get Riewolt. Or it could be a direct trade Miller +2nd rnd pick for Riewolt. (bargain? how about Miller and Jamar for Riewolt?)

Urrrr... even the thought of trade week makes both my head and my heart ache.

Other question - Grant Thomas gets along well enough with Daniher doesn't he? Because you'd think Riewolt would stay in touch with him, wouldn't you? Last thing we'd want is a star player with a 'ghost coach' unsympathetic to the new club!

so straight swap then? miller for reiwolt?

Rip off!

Miller for Reiwoldt & Dal Santo

Jamar for Judd

Ward for Pavlich

Brown for Brown (Brisbane)

Bizzell's Hollywood career for Leigh Matthew's coaching career.

I suppose Gary Lyon was soft, too? He definately cried at least once - he was such a sook they had to pick him up and carry him home to mummy on a stretcher.

Sorry, but a moment's emotional outburst when you're in serious pain and just realised you'll be out for most or all of the season really doesn't outweigh the dozens of incredibly couragous marks Riewolt has produced.

Riewolt and Rivers in the same team...

Can't you just see them competing for 'most courageous mark' honours?

Right, I was undecided before, but with that thought I'm sold on trying to pick up Riewolt.

Guest redandbluethruandthru

so he was in pain whilst watching his team lose a game a few weeks later in the coaches booth huh?

Riewoldt is worth a hundred more times what Bruce is worth. You cant be serious

I have never been a massive fan of Riewoldt because he loves himself and is generally a pain in the arse, but I would give my left nut to have him in a Demon jumper

Anyone would

Riewoldt is renowned for his courageous and spectacular marks running into oncoming traffic. Something Bruce has not done once in his entire career

Agree - Riewaldt in a Red & Blue jumper = Premiership

Great discussion guys, and from what I hear you may have a shot at both players.

Just to throw something in the mix:

Nick Dal Santo at St. Kilda in 2007:

#1 Tackles

#2 Contested Possessions

#2 Hard Ball Gets

St kilda in 2007

10th in tackles

Melbourne 1st

tackles irrelvant

he should be leadin those stats he basically the only midfielder to play every game... and he is suppose to be ur best.

fair?

St kilda in 2007

10th in tackles

Melbourne 1st

tackles irrelvant

he should be leadin those stats he basically the only midfielder to play every game... and he is suppose to be ur best.

fair?

I posted those stats to put a different perspective on the claims that he doesn't go hard at the ball.

Whether or not he has played every game, he has been leading or #2 in those stats since Round 1.

You don't sit #2 at a club for hard ball gets and contested possessions if your shirk the tough stuff.

And good on Melbourne for being #1 in tackles ...

i dont know why people dont like del, i think he would be a great addition to our midfield, means when you change the midfield you dont lose anything

i must admit ive never thought him soft and the stats provided proves that, like the people who have thought green was soft, whilst not a mclean or jones still goes when he is required