• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

No Passion?

Guest unstable punt

Guest baysidedave

Mike Sheahan is having another go at us for lacking passion for the club, its crap we are just as passionate about our club but we just haven't got the numbers that the other clubs have. Its very simple but people just don't see that, all they see is small crowds and say we have no passion, we have a small supporter base, get over it

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/com...5E20123,00.html

Mike Sheahan is having another go at us for lacking passion for the club, its crap we are just as passionate about our club but we just haven't got the numbers that the other clubs have. Its very simple but people just don't see that, all they see is small crowds and say we have no passion, we have a small supporter base, get over it

Whether you like it or not, minorities in this world always make the loudest protest. In this case, they are making the loudest silence.

There are a majority of Melbourne fans that are passionate and love the club, but when you get crowds like that there can't help but be an uproar; they were disgusting figures. Everytime Mike writes something on Melbourne, you can tell he is writing it as a passionate Melbourne supporter. And he is not so much having a go at the fans, but rather the situation and the club. Mike is one of us, though probably not anywhere near as passionate as us, and I doubt he is a tragic like some of us. But he is a fan nonetheless and he always hurts when the club is down and it shows. And he praises us like the lord when we are up; he is a typical Melbourne supporter.

i agree with you

we need people to attend our games and as tim atson said the other day on sen those of us who do show up are as passionate as any other club, but 40,000 pies fans make more noise than 16,000 dee's fans even if they are the same in passion

Every year they roll out the same assumptions its getting old. We are always going to be viewed like that we have to live with it. One of my friends said to me the other day: "What do u discuss on Demonland? The lastest snow reports? Lets not show up this week and watch our team?" Ha-di-ha-ha-ha but still that is how everyone views us u just gota take it cos it will never change

I read it, and was extremely offended (although I agree with a lot of what he says), so I emailed him and told him to come visit this website.

If ever there was proof that Melbourne supporters do bleed about the club, this is it.

this is the sort of stuff that kills me as a diehard dees fan, and largely because it is the truth.

we don't have a smal supporter base, we have a massive supporter base that has not been lured to the club properly, because i don't think the club has put forward a proper, attacking approach to get them onside with the club. the prime example of this is collingwood. by presenting the front they have, of the football family, constantly talking themselves up in the media they have been able to establish a network in society that encourages involvement in the club. melbourne don't seem to offer any outreaching programs. for example i'd like to see the players in more advertising (not subway!) or in more media outlets, such as the MX article that paul licuria writes each week. i know they're poor suggestions but i'm sure others on here have better ideas about how to get our club in the open.

i strongly believe collingwood have grown because of basic human instint. their supporters constantly wear their gear around town and i think it's noticeable to other pies fans that otherwise might not go to games, attend and witness the amount of support from people around them. you only have to watch a collingwood game on tv to see the incredible amount of new guernseys being worn by their, possibly newlyfound, supporters.

i believe if the club had a more attacking force in the media, they'd attract more attention from vague melbourne fans. futher initiatives, such as cheaper merchandise, could be issed at stands around the city for instance, giving people the opportunity to show off the red and blue. what better stage to do it than in our 150th year?

I read it, and was extremely offended (although I agree with a lot of what he says), so I emailed him and told him to come visit this website.

If ever there was proof that Melbourne supporters do bleed about the club, this is it.

Did you get any reply?

jaded , do you think he would jump on this site.. honestly im not having ago at you or anything... or do you think he would have better things to do ???

He's a journalist, where else do you think he gets his material from, if not supporter sites? <_< :lol:

No reply, and I doubt I'll get one. The only reason I sent him that email is because I was drunk when I read it last night he is, in fact, a Melbourne supporter... and a typical one at that!

He's a journalist, where else do you think he gets his material from, if not supporter sites? <_< :lol:

No reply, and I doubt I'll get one. The only reason I sent him that email is because I was drunk when I read it last night he is, in fact, a Melbourne supporter... and a typical one at that!

lol yeah true dat .....

you were drunk amazing Jaded i thought you were an angel :rolleyes:

There is plenty of passion on this website, but unfortunately we cannot make up for those fairweather supporters that have plagued us for so long. Many reporters comment on how we don't have a home base, is 2009 we will. There is a pretty simple reason as to why we don't, Melbourne is broad and encompasses a wide area spanning across the city.

But who lives there? Maybe a few flatting, but there wouldn't be many families being raised there. Most of the clubs that have succeeded have done so because they have a specific local market to draw on (much like the EPL in England). Our home ground has always been, and rightly so, the MCG but it is not our ground. Because of this we have always been in the wilderness as to what our home base is. The club is taking all the right steps in setting up our future, i am hopeful that we're turning a corner off the field and that we will once again become a powerhouse in the coming decade.

I read it, and was extremely offended (although I agree with a lot of what he says)

After reading the MMM thread, it seems you offend easily ;)

I too agree with most of what he says, although I don't think Neitz would have to Captain until he was 40 before a strong alternative candidate arrived - I'm pretty sure McLean will be set to lead the team sooner than 2015 ;)

The article is a little all over the place, but one thing that should be pointed out while injuries might not be reason we're not in a position to take the flag this year. I won't go over old ground but I'd say it's more about the gaps in our list rather than the lack of angry letter writers etc.

I just thought I'd share the message I sent to Mike Sheahan, in reply to his article. How's my 'formal writing'? It's easier than writing a whole new venting for here!

Dear Mr. Sheahan,

In your recent article for the Herald Sun you made a number of what appeared to me to be pretty shallow digs at the Melbourne Football Club. I'd like a chance to reply to a couple of the comments you made, particularly -

"As has been the case for too long, the Demons don't have a real home. Their administration is at the MCG, the football department is at the Junction Oval, and there is a distinct lack of charisma (and marketing value) in the player group."

I'm assuming you're aware that the MFC has made combining their facilities their top off-field priority and have been pursuing it aggressively for some time, with the target being to have a unified facility in time for the 150th anniversary season. That's next year, so hardly a stagnant project.

So why did you make the comment? More to the point, why did you present the facilities situation as a part of a sustained malaise requiring action, when it is in fact a point being addressed?

As for the comment about 'lack of charisma' and marketing value in the playing group, while I'm sure Lindsay Lohan would make an excellent centre-half-forward, are you seriously encouraging clubs to recruit based on, what? Sex appeal? Brilliant rhetorical flourish? Snappy one-liners?

If you'd suggested the club should be doing more to raise the profile of players, I'd back you on it, but the 'distinct lack of charisma' comment is wholly pointless.

A few other comments seemed a little odd - you seemed to imply that the lack of open speculation about Neale Daniher's position means nobody really cares. I could've sworn I'd heard, only a few times a season for every season since coaches became regular features of football, that it was unhelpful and disruptive for board members, players, or high-profile supporters to publicly speculate about coaching positions midway through a season. I've been taking the apparent calm as a positive sign that the Demon's aren't turning upon themselves during hard times.

You also suggested that Melbourne's anointing of Brock Mclean as next captain implied such a lack of leadership that Neitz might have to stay in the position "til he's 40". Taking over the reins in 08 or 09 would place Mclean in the same age range at captaincy as Ball, Riewolt, or of course Judd, who became captain almost literally by accident. Though exceptional, it's hardly unprecedented, and the Demons used high draft picks in 2003 specifically to recruit likely leaders. To suggest that Melbourne is in trouble because Brock Mclean is considered an impending leader has probably raised many Demon fan's eyebrows and lost you some of their respect.

If you really feel a need to write negative articles please try to reach for some depth, and maybe make some constructive criticisms. But shallow-researched sniping doesn't do the Demon's, your readers or your own reputation any good.

Regards...

As for the comment about 'lack of charisma' and marketing value in the playing group, while I'm sure Lindsay Lohan would make an excellent centre-half-forward, are you seriously encouraging clubs to recruit based on, what? Sex appeal? Brilliant rhetorical flourish? Snappy one-liners?

After reading that, I wonder if Brad Greens' sphincter joke was for the benefit of ramping up his off-field marketing appeal ;) :D ?!!!

Great work Distance Demon. I had the same thoughts when reading Sheehan's article. Only I was thinkng Paris Hilton instead of Lindsay Lohen!

Sheehan should know that he's article was a piece of crap. He went for the same old angle of the club. If we were 9 - 1 the article would have read...

Melbourne has done all the right things off-field securing a new state of the art home, ready in time for its 150th proud year. Although Melbourne crowd numbers are small compared to other clubs they are no less passionate. Melbourne compete with bigger clubs with the obvious handicap of the MCC. Melbourne's on field leadership is strong with Brock McLean ready to become the next Chris Judd and step into captaincy at an early age etc. etc...

The article was a beat up. Sh!t article from an average journalist.