Pert and Roffey - The Review Thread

Demons11

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

The sheer fact that despite being one of the best performing sides over the last 4 seasons, we are back as the perceived laughing stock / problem child of the AFL, speaks to an undeniable failure of leadership and governance.

It does not matter if the reality is not as grim from inside the 4 walls, the perception that we are a club in disarray once more, is going to cause enough damage that it will impact every part of our club, but most especially our on field success.

I just cannot believe that we are here again so soon.  

No doubt about it. It took years to build this, trials and tribulations, false dawns. Forming a winning culture from a starting point of learning how to walk, it was a very long journey. 

The ground work was laid and it was finally bearing fruit. In what feels like a matter of seconds it's been busted right down again. I think a lot of MFC fans can be forgiven for thinking they may not have it in them to go through it all again.

The candle was finally burning bright and we were proud to be fans. A damn shame it wasn't nearly for long enough..

Edited by layzie
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cookieboc said:

I have been supporting this club for 45 years and it’s truly amazing how many years we have been in crisis, at this stage it’s in the DNA. No other club struggles to retain players like we do. At this stage how many more “crises “ do members have left?

Lets not start an alternative reality on players leaving. A few years ago we were crowing how we were a destination - Lever, May, Langdon, Hibberd, All flag players

Look at the leavings:

Jesse - understandable, serious personal issues solved by going home.

ANB - Newborn, family in Adelaide, understandable, given excellent service

Jacko - money and going home, more a commentary on his professionailsm that the MFC. Now stranded at Freo. His loss

Stan alves- understandable at the time, ditto Greg Wells.

So whats your issue again?

Gawn, Viney, Langdon, Kozzie, Petty,....signed.

Let the media run interference on this issue. We don't need to.

But sure I'd be happy for Kate to leave after this week.

and Trac??? - seriously bad strategic advice from his manager. And brand building???? Spare me.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

Very well said, the amount of people that are comfortable legitimising her effort under the guise "well, this is what you asked for" is astounding. I am unable to conceivably understand how people can defend her efforts (or realistically, lack thereof) yesterday and the old mantra of "what did you expect her to say?". 

It is not unreasonable at all, that people expect their President to be a competent media performer. One can accept that such an interview would not, necessarily, delve completely into the vault. But to wheel out that nonsense yesterday is an indictment on the current Club and all members. The MFC have refused to accept any sort of responsibility for the issues which have emerged over the past three seasons; rather, they have preferred to attempt to hide all of the skeletons and trout out corporate speak regarding 'culture', 'visions' and a 'one mission' approach. Had the Club dealt with some of the issues in an authentic and genuine manner, I would suspect we're not in the position we're now in. Own the mistakes, genuinely and authentically learn from them, and then look to create best practice out of it. This isn't to say that mistakes will not - or should not be made; mistakes and mismanagement occurs. But it becomes an issue when it is repetitive, not learned from and ignored. 

I truly think that is now untenable for Roffey to continue in her role, however, the board is stacked in her favour. I would express similar sentiments regarding Pert regarding the nature of his tenure. 

There are ruminations that several ex-players are being courted for a potential board challenge; whether this comes to fruition, remains to be seen. But change is clearly needed from the top down and it is needed now. 

Roffey, Pert, Goodwin all need to go! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

I don't expect the President to be a polished media performer. I do expect them to be, if not a nuffie in a business suit, at least across a lot of club stuff and well-connected with every important person at the club. Important people include all the players and their immediate families.

What I took from that interview, and a few Roffey public statements, is that she's neither a good media performer nor obsessively interested in everything happening at the club. In the Whately interview, she seemed to imply that she hadn't spoken with Petracca's family because their absence from the club made it inconvenient. If that's not outright negligence, it sounds like the excuse of someone who doesn't really have the time to be President. 

I like the idea of a president saying "This isn't my area of expertise; I'll leave it to the people we employ to do specific jobs". But talking to players and their family after a very serious injury and a very public desire to leave seems like something clearly within a president's remit. 

Less than 3 minutes after she said her primary method of judging the health of the club and its culture was talking to players and their families, she said she hasn’t talked to Petracca and his family for quite some time.

According to Roffey, Petracca has raised some good issues and the situation is absolutely resolvable but she doesn't know what they are because she hasn't talked to him.

Contradiction and failure.

She signed off the interview like she thought she'd done a top job.

You can't make this stuff up!

Edited by old55
  • Like 11
  • Clap 4

2 minutes ago, old55 said:

Less than 3 minutes after she said her primary method of judging the health of the club and its culture was talking to players and their families, she said she hasn’t talked to Petracca and his family for quite some time.

According to Roffey, Petracca has raised some good issues and the situation is absolutely resolvable but she doesn't know what they are because she hasn't talked to him.

Contradiction and failure.

She signed off the interview like she thought she'd done a top job.

You can't make this stuff up!

Classic! 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BDA said:

The problem is not that she spoke, it’s that she spoke so badly and was unprepared. I’m in the camp that footy issues are perts domain and better if he spoke, but expecting your president to speak when the club is copping it is not unreasonable 

Seems the only reason she is there is to get on home base sorted if she can't do that then she has to go... it's the o e thing holding this club back for so long... and players don't want to come to Melbourne because of it.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2024 at 13:48, old55 said:

I haven’t spoken to the Trac family for quite a while

We are also stuffed if the players' families start to stick their oar in.  Give me a break.  He is 28 with an agent.

If Petracca wants out (unfortunately), his agent should chase up an offer too good to refuse from another club.  MFC is sitting pretty.  Time to put on our big boy* pants!

* Modify to suit one's perceived gender.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2024 at 14:21, spirit of norm smith said:

She hadn’t spoken to Trac at all !!!

He can always ring her if he wants.   No doubt. he expects he to appear from a rolled carpet Cleopatra style.  I am starting to turn against him.

Alternately of course, it is entirely a press beat-up and will blow over.

6 hours ago, cookieboc said:

I have been supporting this club for 45 years and it’s truly amazing how many years we have been in crisis, at this stage it’s in the DNA. No other club struggles to retain players like we do. At this stage how many more “crises “ do members have left?

Camus on X: "Blood Diamond https://t.co/uDReMOzLtV" / X

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Like many here I have had family in ICU and with illness. Roffey doing a simple gesture of which there are many such as a phone call/ text, send something to the house is an act of human kindness. To view it through the lens of her responsibility according to the Club hierarchy is not the way to go if that puts restrictions on her reaching out to Trac. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superunknown said:

This whole thing is wild!

CP doesn’t trust the leadership (ie president and ceo), players over it

Paranoia can be a response to trauma.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

All of this is now redundant because, in Christian's own words, "yeah, the support I've received has just been incredible from Roffey..." etc - Christian Petracca, July 1st

From around 2:25 here:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/1591000/a-sit-down-with-christian-petracca

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bing181 said:

wow, from 1/7/24. Makes the media look like dills. 

Will not help tracc if he decides to lodge a grievance. In the end Tracc has not requested a trade. Maybe he wont.

Maggs and blues fo not have the cap space or picks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, manny100 said:

wow, from 1/7/24. Makes the media look like dills. 

Will not help tracc if he decides to lodge a grievance. In the end Tracc has not requested a trade. Maybe he wont.

Maggs and blues fo not have the cap space or picks.

It makes Roffey look like a dill for letting this idea hang out there for 30 hours uncorrected.

• Like 1

If you look at MFC over the years of Goodie's tenure objectively, it is an era defined by personal care for players welfare and going the extra mile (clarrie literally moving in with the Gawns while they were expecting a baby, ensuring Kozzie remains connected with his land and family and letting Ed go to his sister's wedding) as well as of respecting the opposition (I've felt sometimes too much). And people here want to believe that the club didn't do due diligence when one of its biggest stars got traumatically injured? Please. 

Communication to outside world is a shocker though. I think (hope) the strategy is to passively let this wave of [censored] build and wash over us, while not actively contributing to it and trying to deal with the issues in house. Don't think Josh Mahoney would have abided this but let's see what happens. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

It makes Roffey look like a dill for letting this idea hang out there for 30 hours uncorrected.

That's the best you have to offer? Its on the MFC official site, and has been for months!

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, waynewussell said:

That's the best you have to offer?

Roffey was interviewed on SEN and made it seem like she had not been in contract with Petracca after his injury.

This was clearly not the case (based on Petracca's interview on the MFC website where he even stated Roffey by name).

The football media has been all over her for not offering enough support and this was clear from listening to SEN callers immediately after the interview.

She needed to be on the front foot and correct the record.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, redandbluemakepurple said:

He can always ring her if he wants.   No doubt. he expects he to appear from a rolled carpet Cleopatra style.  I am starting to turn against him.

Alternately of course, it is entirely a press beat-up and will blow over.

Woops, I got sucked in bigtime by the Press.  Sorry, Christian.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Lets not start an alternative reality on players leaving. A few years ago we were crowing how we were a destination - Lever, May, Langdon, Hibberd, All flag players

Look at the leavings:

Jesse - understandable, serious personal issues solved by going home.

ANB - Newborn, family in Adelaide, understandable, given excellent service

Jacko - money and going home, more a commentary on his professionailsm that the MFC. Now stranded at Freo. His loss

Stan alves- understandable at the time, ditto Greg Wells.

So whats your issue again?

Gawn, Viney, Langdon, Kozzie, Petty,....signed.

Let the media run interference on this issue. We don't need to.

But sure I'd be happy for Kate to leave after this week.

and Trac??? - seriously bad strategic advice from his manager. And brand building???? Spare me.

You may well be spot on.  What concerns me most, regardless of whether the media is beating this stuff up, or not, it is doing damage to our band.  Membership attraction and retention, sponsor attraction and retention and players wanting to come to this club.

Even more importantly to me is that this bile is being leaked from WITHIN the club.  Why?

BTW, Trac's partner is a Lawyer and already taken over a substantial slab of his business dealings, away from Connors Sports Management Team, to set up their own brand.

At the very least, the head of our club needs to deal with this head on.  Seems to me, Max has been the only one to be brave, front the media and be upfront.  In such cases, it should not fall entirely to him.

Our President, in particular and the CEO, need to jump on internal leaks as soon as possible and be assertive.  They need to find out the source of these leaks and deal with the perpetrator/s.  ASAP.