Pert and Roffey - The Review Thread

Demons11

19 hours ago, dees189227 said:

I wonder if Garry got involved in matters.

Maybe Kate agreed to do the interview because she already knew trac would stay but because of pressure thought she'd better speak. 

Judging by her answers she probably hasn't even heard the news that Trac is staying.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I have heard an unverifiable rumour so chose to ignore if you wish. Roffey will depart and be replaced by Steve Smith (I think that was the name I heard) former MCC president.

There will likely be some distance between this and the incoming, but she’s now facing unrelenting pressure to step down. Can confirm that Steven Smith has been tapped on the shoulder. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Clap 2

7 minutes ago, BLWNBA said:

There will likely be some distance between this and the incoming, but she’s now facing unrelenting pressure to step down. Can confirm that Steven Smith has been tapped on the shoulder. 

Tapped on the shoulder by whom?

We need major changes on the board, so who's pulling the strings here?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

54 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I have heard an unverifiable rumour so chose to ignore if you wish. Roffey will depart and be replaced by Steve Smith (I think that was the name I heard) former MCC president.

Hnmm interesting would have Smithy in a heartbeat!

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

10 minutes ago, BLWNBA said:

What's Smith track record like mate? Can't say I know too much about him.

• Like 2

Bring Steven Smith in yesterday. Was a great player in a poor team. Kept Leigh Mathews kickless in a match then Leigh did what he did in those situations king hit him from behind. Smashed his jaw I believe ( on YouTube). Is smart with a legal background,sensible,passionate about the Dees is a past and very good and popular President of the MCC ….light years ahead of the incumbent. Bring it on …..please.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Prior to joining the MCC Committee in 1998, Smith served as a director of the MFC from 1990 to 1992. After commencing with the MCC, Smith served on the MCC Operations, later Club, Sub-committee from 2002 to 2015 (Chair from 2011-2015), the Finance and Audit Sub-committee from 2002 to 2007, the Development Sub-committee from 2007 to 2009 and the MCC Executive Committee from 2011-2019 (Chair 2015-2019). He was also the Committee’s representative for the Croquet section from 2009 to 2015.

“Steven was elected as the 27th MCC President in March 2015, stepping down after his four-year term in 2019 and his contribution to the Melbourne Cricket Club across his years on the Committee is inimitable,” said Michael Happell, President of the Melbourne Cricket Club.

“His tireless work in enhancing all aspects of the member and fan experience across the MCC and MCG will be felt for years to come.

“Steven is a thoroughly deserving recipient of Honorary Life Membership and now sits alongside many of our Club’s most recognisable names as a Life member.”

Notably, Mr Smith’s Presidency was highlighted by a vision to take the Club into the future with achievements including securing hosting rights of the AFL Grand Final until 2057, introducing new categories of membership as well as inspiring the wider MCC staff and Club to strive for awards in multiple areas of business.

Customer service was a primary focus for Mr Smith who championed the Club’s innovative CARE program after his election. The project went on to win the Australian award for customer service in 2018 and in 2019 was announced as the winner of the prestigious International Service Excellence Award.

During Mr Smith’s four years as President, the Club actively pursued its commitment to environmental responsibility to make the MCG one of the ‘greenest’ stadiums in the world. Now, the Club recycles around 80 per cent of waste, energy consumption has significantly reduced over recent years and the Club’s dedicated organics dehydrator, which converts food waste into mulch for Yarra Park.

https://mcc.org.au/whats-on/latest-news/2021/july/steven-smith-inducted-as-a-mcc-honorary-life-member

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

52 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I’ll be honest mate, I really don’t know much about him. Would say there’s far more knowledgeable people on here that could provide an answer on that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading the book “Between the flags” by Ian Munro, a tough read in places, our club seems to have a knack of f ing it up. But there’s a paragraph that really hits rights now: it talking about country zoning and how alone it can’t be used at why we didn’t have any success. ‘A lot has to do with culture and leadership’ Greg Miller says. Zoning alone does not equate to success, and the most important one is the impregnability of the top people at a footy club. Those people set the tone and the culture. The President, the coach, the football manager, and cheif executive. Development through good culture is more important than recruiting. ‘You have to have an impregnable force at the top, even more so now because the media will try to break you up. It’s the Chairman, it’s the coach, it’s the Cheif executive and it’s the footy manager. None can have and ego and none can let the others down. people, the media, look at recruiting because it’s measurable. You can’t measure leadership. ‘

Ian’s Munro’s book should be on the desk of any power broker in our club. A book on an awful history which many learnings should stem. Thankfully the book has a happy ending. But Our club has a talent for cocking it all up! I hope it doesn’t again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, BLWNBA said:

Steve Smith would be an excellent appointment with the ability to bring credibility and calm to the role. Just what we need.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DEE32 said:

Reading the book “Between the flags” by Ian Munro, a tough read in places, our club seems to have a knack of f ing it up. But there’s a paragraph that really hits rights now: it talking about country zoning and how alone it can’t be used at why we didn’t have any success. ‘A lot has to do with culture and leadership’ Greg Miller says. Zoning alone does not equate to success, and the most important one is the impregnability of the top people at a footy club. Those people set the tone and the culture. The President, the coach, the football manager, and cheif executive. Development through good culture is more important than recruiting. ‘You have to have an impregnable force at the top, even more so now because the media will try to break you up. It’s the Chairman, it’s the coach, it’s the Cheif executive and it’s the footy manager. None can have and ego and none can let the others down. people, the media, look at recruiting because it’s measurable. You can’t measure leadership. ‘

Ian’s Munro’s book should be on the desk of any power broker in our club. A book on an awful history which many learnings should stem. Thankfully the book has a happy ending. But Our club has a talent for cocking it all up! I hope it doesn’t again.

That makes a lot of sense! Sounds like an interesting read. Someone on here posted something a few years back and it really stuck with me. From memory, a person was having a conversation with a player from a rival club in the 90’s about the Dees. And that player said something like, ‘Melbourne players for some reason are quite arrogant even though the club hasn’t really done anything for decades‘. 

Kinda gave me the impression that for some players, just playing AFL was the end goal. Which to what you’re saying, probably comes from somewhere?

Sorry if it’s not totally connected, just popped into my mind from your post.

57 minutes ago, BLWNBA said:

I’ll be honest mate, I really don’t know much about him. Would say there’s far more knowledgeable people on here that could provide an answer on that. 

Good player. Saw him kick 7 from CHF one day. Became a top class full back. Good administrator. Urbane, polished, but not weak.

Edited by Redlegged
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

“The Dunning-Kruger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect) effect is a well-known psychological phenomenon that describes the tendency for individuals to overestimate their level of intelligence, knowledge, or competence in a particular area. They may also simultaneously misjudge the intelligence, expertise, or competence of others. In other words, they are ignorant of their own ignorance.”

Is there wide application to this discussion?

how many posters have any experience in a governance role or a senior executive role?

how many know the difference between a board/ director role and an executive role?

A board’s role is to steer not row.

the President doesn’t have to be the primary spokesperson for the organisation or negotiate with an employee as suggested here

mostly the judgement here has been on the media skills or lack thereof of roffey as if that is the one determining factor in judging a president 

and at the end of the day CP having courted alternatives stays put!

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

23 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I thought it was just in addition to, to take the free spot?

20 hours ago, dino rover said:

“The Dunning-Kruger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect) effect is a well-known psychological phenomenon that describes the tendency for individuals to overestimate their level of intelligence, knowledge, or competence in a particular area. They may also simultaneously misjudge the intelligence, expertise, or competence of others. In other words, they are ignorant of their own ignorance.”

Is there wide application to this discussion?

how many posters have any experience in a governance role or a senior executive role?

how many know the difference between a board/ director role and an executive role?

A board’s role is to steer not row.

the President doesn’t have to be the primary spokesperson for the organisation or negotiate with an employee as suggested here

mostly the judgement here has been on the media skills or lack thereof of roffey as if that is the one determining factor in judging a president 

and at the end of the day CP having courted alternatives stays put!

I largely agree Dino the board is there to steer and not drive day to day, but when speaking, the President (or any board member for that matter), should be well across the issues(s) of which they are speaking about. 

And, they should be able to inspire confidence in that organisation's ability to manage/resolve that issue. 

3 hours ago, Dee*ceiving said:

I largely agree Dino the board is there to steer and not drive day to day, but when speaking, the President (or any board member for that matter), should be well across the issues(s) of which they are speaking about. 

And, they should be able to inspire confidence in that organisation's ability to manage/resolve that issue. 

And how do you know this is not happening, or would you prefer to believe some journalist, do you really think all the so called issues we have or supposed to have are not being discussed.

An external review is the only legitimate review. You cannot review yourself. 
If we don’t get somebody external to conduct a review from top to bottom, then we are just doing a half arsed job for optics 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

John Ralph has mentioned that Smith has been asked by the board to fill the vacant position on the board at the end of the year. He also mentioned that he won’t considering sitting on the board just to be a board member and that if he accepts he is likely to be the next president and will replace Roffey.

edit: spelling

Edited by Bonkers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

The most interesting point in Wilson's monologue is that Kate Roffey discussed with Smith, two weeks ago, his coming on board and possibly taking over from her as President...

Before the so-called 'train wreck' interview with Whateley...

Before Morris called her position untenable (hinting at a possible racist point of view she expressed about players getting homesick)

It seems Kate, after 8 years on the MFC Board and three years as President, has managed her own exit according to her own priorities.

• Like 5

On 01/09/2024 at 19:58, dino rover said:

Mazing. Lovett.  Are you saying that I dont know what I dont know?

(The Fritter-Turner effect is a tendency for players to overestimate their ability to kick a goal from any part of the ground.  When Turner plays in defense it becomes the Backman Turner effect known to send everyone into over drive.)

My brain is pickled from too much CP5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/09/2024 at 19:58, dino rover said:

Nothing football related, but that seems like an incomplete description of the DK effect?