Pert and Roffey - The Review Thread

Demons11

58 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

I said it last week but that SEN interview before the gold coast game Pert gave was awful. Nothing he said sounded sincere or substantive. Just a bunch of excuses, spin and complaints about all the things we've had to deal with that can't be controlled by a CEO.

Mate, if you can't take control maybe let someone do the job who can.

It was awful wasn't it..

• Like 4

6 hours ago, layzie said:

David King said something yesterday as well along the lines of:

"Simon Goodwin, Max Gawn and Jack Viney are the only people I trust at that club right now, everything else is waffle"

David King should know about waffle, why oh why is any oxygen given to the click baiters, "finals is a week off, what can we talk about"

Let's see how pre season pans out.

Any volunteers on here to give up their time to be on the board, unpaid of course. Apart from Lawrence of Aggrandizement, who is all things perfect.

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Satyriconhome said:

David King should know about waffle, why oh why is any oxygen given to the click baiters, "finals is a week off, what can we talk about"

Any volunteers on here to give up their time to be on the board, unpaid of course. Apart from Lawrence of Aggrandizement, who is all things perfect.

Be careful what you wish for Satyriconhome, there may be 'board volunteers' on the horizon.

• Like 1

I had a robust discussion with her in the Presidents function on Friday night. It got quite animated.

No alcohol or vulgar language were involved but she was left in no doubt how I felt of her recent performance as President of this great club. She didn't like what I had to say which resulted with her pushing me in the chest. 

She's not up to it. 

Edited by Steamin Demon
Spelling
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 3
  • Shocked 10
  • Vomit 1

8 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Here comes the rose coloured pied piper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 3

Just now, Steamin Demon said:

I had a robust discussion with her in the Presidents function on Friday night. It got quite animated.

No alcohol or vulgar language were involved but she was left in no doubt how I felt of her recent performance as President of this great club. She didn't like what I had to say which resulted with her pushing me in the chest. 

She not up to it. 

Wow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Your dislike of Peter Lawrence is obvious. Aggrandisement ! Is that why he drove a bunch of our women players to Brisbane for a Final during the pandemic.? Is that why he’s given a small fortune to the Club? I urged you last week to read the Judgment in his case against the Club.  those who have done so seem to have changed their mind. He’s actually achieved a great deal for the Club in forcing the Board to make seven sets of Rule changes . I gather that you and some other posters are concerned that in an earlier case he won the right to email club members ( who choose to receive Comms from MFC by email) with material in support of his candidature . No lawyer I know believes the Club should have contested that case . Stacks of similar organisations now recognise that such a  result was inevitable . MFC should  have offered to distribute his material , which likely would have solved the problem without litigation . I must say that reading the judgment, and then considering Roffey’s triumphalist statement , convince me that all is not well at Board level 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

5 minutes ago, Steamin Demon said:

She's not up to it. 

I have my concerns with Roffey in terms of what we know already, the rumours that are around, and lack of key project involvement - But given this is just your side of the story it doesn't exactly cover you in glory. It sounds like you did not approach this situation very well and have now come to try and paint a picture that may not be entirely accurate.

I'm reading into things of course, but I'm not sure I would be sharing this story if I were you.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

22 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

I have my concerns with Roffey in terms of what we know already, the rumours that are around, and lack of key project involvement - But given this is just your side of the story it doesn't exactly cover you in glory. It sounds like you did not approach this situation very well and have now come to try and paint a picture that may not be entirely accurate.

I'm reading into things of course, but I'm not sure I would be sharing this story if I were you.

I'm happy to share it. I could care less about the shove, I won't pursue anything but people need to know what type of person is leading their club. The whole incident would be on camera. 

Edited by Steamin Demon
Context

12 months ago … 31 August 2023

Kate Roffey has penned a letter to Melbourne Members ahead of AFLW Round 1 and the AFL Finals.

Dear Members, 

What an incredibly exciting time for our club. 

Firstly, I want to take a moment to express my heartfelt gratitude to each and every one of you, our loyal and passionate members. On Monday, we officially cracked the 70,000 membership milestone – so congratulations – I would say Melbourne is now a BIG club! 

We should all feel an immense sense of pride to belong to the Melbourne Football Club. We are in fantastic shape, and it is your loyalty, spirit and unwavering support that has brought us to this point. Together, we are writing a new chapter in the rich history of our club, and I hope that every single one of you feels incredibly proud to belong to this fabulous club.  

Tonight, we will witness an historic occasion as we unveil our maiden AFLW premiership flag, having achieved the ultimate success in Season 7 of the AFL Women’s competition. This win in 2022, on the back of our AFL Men’s Premiership in 2021, makes Melbourne the first club in history since the AFLW competition started – to win both a men’s and a women’s flag.   

Tonight will mark another memorable moment in our club’s history and we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible down at IKON Park. I know our AFLW playing group and coaches are incredibly grateful for all the support you have shown,  and I encourage all our members and supporters to get behind our women in the red and blue, as they embark on a new season and look to defend our mantle as reigning premiers.  

For our AFL team, next week will mark a third consecutive AFL Finals appearance. Our aim at the start of the season was to finish in the top four and secure a double chance and the team has now done that three years in a row. Melbourne is the only club that has finished in the top four in each of the past three years and that is a significant achievement. It is a testament to the unwavering dedication and hard work of our players, coaches and staff, who continue to show extraordinary commitment to our club.   

I’m incredibly excited to join the Demon faithful at the MCG on Thursday night. I know our players want to see and hear our Demon faithful out in force, filling the stands with red and blue as we set ourselves for a challenging, yet exciting, AFL Finals campaign at the MCG.  

Off the back of their 2022 success, the Casey Demons also start their Premiership defence, securing a spot in the VFL Finals last week. This Saturday, they are set to take the field in a crucial Elimination Final against Footscray. The stakes are high for this game so get down to Box Hill Oval if you can and cheer on our Casey Demons. 

Off the field, as we prepare to cheer on our mighty teams, I also wanted to provide a Board update. I firstly want to express my gratitude and warmest thanks to both Steve Morris and Mohan Jesudason, who will finish as board directors at the end of the season in line with our recently introduced director term limits.  

Steve and Mohan have made significant contributions to the club as directors. Both have served as Club Vice President and as Chairs of Board Committees, with Steve chairing our Investment Committee and Mohan chairing the Nominations and Remuneration Committee. They have provided amazing support to the club and retire at the end of their final terms with our heartfelt thanks. 

I am also pleased to welcome Sarah Robinson and Geoff Porz to the Melbourne Football Club Board.  Sarah and Geoff fill the casual vacancies created by Steve and Mohan and have skill sets in the areas of investment and facility development – both identified as critical to us going forward.   

Sarah Robinson brings to the Board extensive experience as a financial advisor and investment strategist and will be a critical member of our Investment Committee, which has responsibility for guiding our Future Fund investments. Sarah is ranked in the top 100 financial advisors in Australia. Sarah has been a passionate Demons member for over 20 years, and we are thrilled to welcome her.  

Many of you will be familiar with Geoff Porz, who has deep connections to the club as a 40+ year member, Foundation Legend and founding member of the Inner Sanctum. Geoff brings strong knowledge and experience in property, infrastructure and facility development, having developed assets in excess of $1.4 billion.   

The skills and experience that Sarah and Geoff add to the Board will strengthen capability in the management of our Future Fund and in progression of our planned Training and Administration facility, both key strategic pillars of our next phase of growth.  

I would also like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the work of the staff and Executive team at the club. Under the leadership of our CEO Gary Pert, the club continues to excel off the field and the contribution our staff make, in particular outside of regular working hours on weekends and evenings, is the foundation for success. To every person who works or volunteers at our club – thank you! 

But for now, our focus shifts to tonight and the coming men’s finals series. A McClelland Trophy and more Premierships are up for grabs. Here's to an extremely exciting period ahead for our great club. I can’t wait to see what we can achieve over the next few months.  

To every single one of our 70,785 members – thank you for bleeding red and blue.

Let’s Go Dees!  

Kate  

• Like 1

I'm starting to come around to the idea that an external review is required. Way too much noise around our club the last 12 months or so. Clear the air once and for all.

I'm a big fan of stability but if the review determines the CEO is part of the problem, then make the change. I'm still very much undecided about Kate but the Caulfield option is the last chance saloon for her. If that falls over then she should fall on her sword. 10 years on the board is time enough to have firm plans in place around a new home base.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, BDA said:

I'm starting to come around to the idea that an external review is required. Way too much noise around our club the last 12 months or so. Clear the air once and for all.

I'm a big fan of stability but if the review determines the CEO is part of the problem, then make the change. I'm still very much undecided about Kate but the Caulfield option is the last chance saloon for her. If that falls over then she should fall on her sword. 10 years on the board is time enough to have firm plans in place around a new home base.

External review, boardroom clean out, new pres, new CEO, and new head of footy. Doubt it happens though...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Doubt we can afford it

Financially or image wise or relationships wise vis a vis home base?

Edited by Adam The God
  • Like 1

Just now, Adam The God said:

Financially or image wise or relationships wise vis a vis home base?

Financially. Image wise it doesn’t matter, our image is in the bin anyway. If only we didn’t waste money on pointless litigation hey? 🙄

No idea about the home base, but I imagine the ongoing deals are between the club and local government and have no impact if the people at the club change. But I could well be wrong on that. 

12 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

External review, boardroom clean out, new pres, new CEO, and new head of footy. Doubt it happens though...

that's a lot of change in one fell swoop. every senior position changed other than Goody. That would unsettle me if i was Goody.

Bring in a new CEO. Let them assess the lie of the land and make changes as needed. New head of footy top of the list for sure.

The other problem, which perhaps can't be avoided if the change has to happen, is the upheaval will get in the way of making the changes needed in the assistant coaching team. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Financially. Image wise it doesn’t matter, our image is in the bin anyway. If only we didn’t waste money on pointless litigation hey? 🙄

No idea about the home base, but I imagine the ongoing deals are between the club and local government and have no impact if the people at the club change. But I could well be wrong on that. 

Surely we have enough money to launch an external review?

• Like 1

Just now, Adam The God said:

Surely we have enough money to launch an external review?

An external review sure, the sacking of multiple high level positions, not so much. 
We need to start with those closest to the action, as ultimately what happens on the field is the most important. 

While I’m no fan of this board, they ultimately should have minimal influence on the FD beyond rubber stamping appointments and sackings. They are an issue for another day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Part of the Trac story is that he’s uninspired by our training facilities.

The lack of progress is demoralising. But what I find even more unacceptable is the lack of vision.

The club needs to find solutions to inspire players like Trac, who won’t see a new Melbourne facility in his playing years.

Send the squad to Arizona, or Switzerland, anywhere that inspires more than the same sad empty oval next to Punt Rd.
It’s not just for results, it’s to show the club is striving for the best, it’s cultural.

No more excuses. Solutions and vision are required. The now should’ve been anticipated given the slow pace of the long term.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

simon mathews as ceo would be a change that might make a difference

Seems like flavour of the month at the moment but don't know much about him apart from missing the Richmond job.

Mahoney worth a look. PJ wanted him to take the job and I reckon he's (PJ) about the best administrator the club has had and would know.

Wright worth sounding out...

Edited by rjay
  • Like 4

I have no idea about the machinations that are going inside this club but after reading the legal judgement you have got to wonder if we're being run by the best. Personally I've never liked Pert at our club, he is a spin merchant and you can pick that a mile off. A new CEO would be ideal after the Petracca affair gets settled one way or another. Someone's head has to roll. I'd imagine the board and Roffey are going to be skating on thin ice over the next few years so I'd imagine we'll see change in good time. The football department needs a new head and at least one new line coach so hopefully we get some good people into the club.......which is being made harder by the day. After the 21 Flag who would of thunk we'd be here tonight!!

Edited by Roost it far
  • Thanks 1

I won't go into specific details of the interview but former Demon legend Davud Schwarz is still very angry and calling for an external review of the Melbourne Football Club.

Here is the interview:

All I will say to David Schwarz is that if he really cares about the Melbourne Football Club then he needs to get involved at Board level. No point making criticisms from afar but not helping the Club and simply making complaints while hungover in radio interviews.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Steamin Demon said:

She didn't like what I had to say which resulted with her pushing me in the chest. 

She may have thought that you were abusing the occasion to prevent her telling you to osculate her sit-upon.

Like a Toigs fan, leaning over the fence.

Edited by redandbluemakepurple