Jack Viney Extends Contract Until 2028

Nascent

4 hours ago, Young Blood said:

This sounds like a Kane Cornes SEN segment...

Which bit?

Me saying Jack gave the team heaps re commitment and pride in the Club from day 1 of his career?

It was well known at the time cobber.

The rest is speculation, inc my opinion that losing Jack would be worse than losing Ollie if it's a rebuild 

Corner makes provocative commentary so that [censored] will bite and ratings will benefits. 

I just refuse to talk blind juvenile crepe about the AFL, Umpires, Geelong and Maynard 

4 hours ago, chookrat said:

I cannot believe our footy department let it come to this. I mean one of our key players being frustrated at how we performed this year and another being approached by a rival club before being able to say no thanks. Another needs to return home to SA for his family and rather than hold him to hos contract like Geelong would, we tell him how much he means to us and we will make it happen. Such outrage, the wheels have clearly falling off.

Fair comment until you went down the stupid Geelong road.

The huge mistake Hawthorn made was miscalculating the value of their leaders, and trading them out.

By trading Lewis and Mitchell in the same off season and Hodge the year later, they decimated their leadership stocks, which IMO has seen them bottom out for too long.

Compare this with Geelong, whilst not completely apt given their geographical and lifestyle advantages, their players have been allowed to play on until the very ends of their careers.

This has meant standards have been maintained and leadership knowledge and know how has been passed on to the next generation of leaders in the club. 

We had a void of leaders when our current senior players were coming up through the ranks. Now we have them, we need to follow Geelong's model.

We've already lost Gus who continues to be described as the glue that made everyone around him better, we don't want to follow this up with the loss of another leader.

It's why I'd be re-signing TMac and Melksham for another year, so that around Max, Lever, May and Viney, we have a senior leadership core that can continue to mentor the emerging leaders like JVR and Rivers, and hold our players who might not be meeting required Melbourne standards, to account.

I'm disappointed that this Trac stuff has come out, because I think a real leader would have made sure this stayed internal, and forced change from within. Having to resort to such public spillages may put pressure on the FD, but I think massively undermines Trac's leadership and ability to lead from now on.

But that's an aside. The main point I'm making here is we need to ensure our best leaders stay, and if the FD and leadership group deem certain players are not demonstrating elite standards, they should be traded.

If there's one thing you could never knock Jack Viney about it would be elite standards.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 11
  • Clap 1

46 minutes ago, IRW said:

Which bit?

Me saying Jack gave the team heaps re commitment and pride in the Club from day 1 of his career?

It was well known at the time cobber.

The rest is speculation, inc my opinion that losing Jack would be worse than losing Ollie if it's a rebuild 

Corner makes provocative commentary so that [censored] will bite and ratings will benefits. 

I just refuse to talk blind juvenile crepe about the AFL, Umpires, Geelong and Maynard 

Please don't call me cobber. I prefer 'sport' ;)

Like Cornes I just felt you were drawing a long bow based on conjecture. You've mentioned an old unrelated event early in Jack's career alongside an unreported hypothetical that Jack is possibly in agreeance with Petracca about internal player matters. I don't think its actually been reported that Trac is unhappy with the playing group, just the club in general at this stage.

If you read the OP along with others on the first page the latest news is that Jack has turned down the interest from North and is working on a new deal. I understand Clarko is trying to rekindle the flames in today's interview by mentioning Jack again but it means very little at this stage apart from keeping the media running with a story a little longer.

For Cornes I get it but I guess as a Melbourne supporter entertaining the idea makes no sense to me as you seem to be a passionate fan, aware of how Jack bleeds red and blue surely know that Jack would have no interest in joining a club that's won 6 games in the last two seasons.

2 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

We've already lost Gus who continues to be described as the glue that made everyone around him better, we don't want to follow this up with the loss of another leader.

It's why I'd be re-signing TMac and Melksham for another year, so that around Max, Lever, May and Viney, we have a senior leadership core that can continue to mentor the emerging leaders like JVR and Rivers, and hold our players who might not be meeting required Melbourne standards, to account.

I'm disappointed that this Trac stuff has come out ...

Also now losing ANB. Will be a bigger loss than people realise. Agree re Melksham, not so sure re Tom McD in terms of leadership. But I'd give him another year anyway, he's not exactly disgracing himself out there.

As for leaking and Trac, we don't know where it came from, and it could well have come from outside the club.

• Like 1

Just now, bing181 said:

Also now losing ANB. Will be a bigger loss than people realise. Agree re Melksham, not so sure re Tom McD in terms of leadership. But I'd give him another year anyway, he's not exactly disgracing himself out there.

Tom sets high standards on the training track and has constantly reinvented himself, which shows great commitment.

Just now, bing181 said:

As for leaking and Trac, we don't know where it came from, and it could well have come from outside the club.

Like, say, his management team? 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Please don't call me cobber. I prefer 'sport' ;)

Like Cornes I just felt you were drawing a long bow based on conjecture. You've mentioned an old unrelated event early in Jack's career alongside an unreported hypothetical that Jack is possibly in agreeance with Petracca about internal player matters. I don't think its actually been reported that Trac is unhappy with the playing group, just the club in general at this stage.

If you read the OP along with others on the first page the latest news is that Jack has turned down the interest from North and is working on a new deal. I understand Clarko is trying to rekindle the flames in today's interview by mentioning Jack again but it means very little at this stage apart from keeping the media running with a story a little longer.

For Cornes I get it but I guess as a Melbourne supporter entertaining the idea makes no sense to me as you seem to be a passionate fan, aware of how Jack bleeds red and blue surely know that Jack would have no interest in joining a club that's won 6 games in the last two seasons.

Fair enough sport , but note that agreeance has not yet really replaced agreement as common usage.

We still seem to be trying to establish the correct meaning of surreal .

Language change is natural but hopefully not driven by sports " people " aka "athletes" 

• Clap 1

Exceptional game from Jack.

Im not too worried about his future, he’s contracted, it’s our decision. If he goes it will be because it’s time for fresh legs. But I suspect that isn’t plan A.

• Clap 2

I can't imagine Viney going to North. He spent years and years playing in a rubbish side where the season was over before it had begun, I can't imagine that's how he would want to spend the twilight of his career. 

My 9yo has been a bit bereft with ANB leaving and the CP5 brouhaha. What number to put on his guernsey?!

And I’ve been trying to decide on a number for my premiers Anzac guernsey. Number 7 it is!!!!

(though I do like number 2 for Robbie)

• Like 2

On 16/08/2024 at 08:59, manny100 said:

Jack Viney is under contract.

Pick 2 as starters or forget it.

We need Jack to teach our young mids and provide leadership.

He is our Vice Captain.

Got to laugh. Port wants 2 1st rounders for Houston and he is a very good player. But Jack gives so much more to a team than being a very good player.

Come on, mate, this isn’t even in the ballpark of what’s reality.

Being under contract really isn’t that important anymore, especially when he’s at the backend of it. If a player says he wants out and commits to play for another footy club, then player power really starts to take effect and the footy club often has to accept unders.

Houston is 3 years younger than Viney and is also a strong leader at their footy club, which is why there’s been talk of multiple first rounders for him. Regardless, no one’s going to give up 2 x first rounders for Houston - he’s worth something around pick around pick 10, give or take a couple of spots 

If we’re being realistic and honest with ourselves then we’re not going to get anything more than North’s 2nd round pick, which will be pick 22 for Viney. That’s obviously unders for him, but not by much - he’s worth something in the last second round, around the mid to late teens.

We would obviously prefer to keep him, but if he decides he wants to leave and play out the rest of his career with North, then we don’t have much of a choice and pick 22 is what we should expect to get in return for him.

You saw the game he played yesterday and know what he’s capable of ,not to mention multiple b&f’s , premiership player, astonishing leader. etc etc 

Not worth a first round pick you say?

lt was your first post , but l beg to differ.

Reckon he’s attached at the hip with Max and the boys and would like to go out that way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cowman89 said:

Being under contract really isn’t that important anymore, especially when he’s at the backend of it. If a player says he wants out and commits to play for another footy club, then player power really starts to take effect and the footy club often has to accept unders.

Houston is 3 years younger than Viney and is also a strong leader at their footy club, which is why there’s been talk of multiple first rounders for him. Regardless, no one’s going to give up 2 x first rounders for Houston - he’s worth something around pick around pick 10, give or take a couple of spots 

If we’re being realistic and honest with ourselves then we’re not going to get anything more than North’s 2nd round pick, which will be pick 22 for Viney. That’s obviously unders for him, but not by much - he’s worth something in the last second round, around the mid to late teens.

We would obviously prefer to keep him, but if he decides he wants to leave and play out the rest of his career with North, then we don’t have much of a choice and pick 22 is what we should expect to get in return for him.

If Jack Viney is going to turn out games next year like the one just gone... I'll take another year of Jack plus free agent compensation at the end of next year over pick 22 this year thanks

Edited by Graeme Yeats' Mullet

33 minutes ago, Cowman89 said:

We definitely could say we want a first round pick and then North would work out how to make that happen. In any case, this isn’t going to happen and I’d say he isn’t far off a 2 year extension like Max until 2027

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

We definitely could say we want a first round pick and then North would work out how to make that happen. In any case, this isn’t going to happen and I’d say he isn’t far off a 2 year extension like Max until 2027

I think I remember when Jack signed last deal, there were trade rumours then ??? And a bit of to-and-fro before inking a 6 year deal?

Perhaps just negotiations 101...? Get the BATNA value up!

23 minutes ago, Pottsydee said:

What would the sales pitch be - come and get belted for the final couple of years of your career. 

Yeah seriously, what would the point of the move be? He spent years in a rock bottom Melbourne team, experienced success, and now he is walking out to return to the bottom?

The likelihood of North winning a flag before he retires are close to zero. 
It would be a different story if a contender was chasing him, but I can’t see him leaving for an extra year or more money at this point in his career. Not with the strong connections and history he has to our club.

He’s not just a bit player, he’s our VC and he’s got a family legacy here. 

• Like 2

I hope we get Todd to succeed Richo as head of footy. Knows how to say it how it is, and holds people to account.

Todd and Max Viney more likely back in the Melbourne men's program than Jack being in North colours.

• Like 3

On 16/08/2024 at 21:24, IRW said:

Fair enough sport , but note that agreeance has not yet really replaced agreement as common usage.

We still seem to be trying to establish the correct meaning of surreal .

Language change is natural but hopefully not driven by sports " people " aka "athletes" 

Nobody should be permitted to use the term 'surreal' until they have watched 1998 animated film from Estonia, "Porgandite öö" - "The night of the carrots".

It can be very tricky to find online in english, so here's the only link I've been able to dig up, apparently it was deemed worthy of sharing by a film festival page more than 20 years after release.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=227493671910775

I'd be interested in hearing how far people got before their first 'WTF'. Did you make it to the title?

We should all set aside 30 minutes and earn our ticket to use 'surreal' in a sentence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1