CASEY: Rd 19 vs Footscray

I watched a lot of the game and Jed is still light on to play key defence but looks to have a bit of pace and run. Unsure where his best position would be. Tall loping half back maybe.

I cannot believe the listed best players "Laurie Fullarton Jefferson K Brown White Tomlinson" stats wise Laurie, K Brown and Fullarton get the stats but they don't tell the story. Laurie and Pup make lots of tackles because they don't hunt the ball and win it but get to the contest to tackle ie 2nd to the ball. Both would have to improve their kicking 50% because they kick 40 meters and miss targets. Pup is in his first year and can develop Laurie has been there long enough and tried. White is not on the list and Tomlinson gets kicks but has never been the same since his knee injury. Fullarton is not a tap ruckman and never will be but he is athletic enough to mark and get ground balls but the stats belie his overall worth. I was surprised that he got 25 taps. He is best at doing a Max, taking possession, trying to handball, and kicking rather than a tap out. IMO of that group only Jefferson is worthy of promotion. He has some serious talent, can take a mark, applies forward pressure and gets the ball. I would like to see Sestan stay on and develop a tank. He doesn't get it enough but is better balanced, delivers the ball as well as anyone in the team, and gets clearances, just not enough.

Yesterday, the high-possession guys like Saunders & MacRae showed what you want from your fringe players trying to get a senior game. We have none at Casey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

I watched a lot of the game and Jed is still light on to play key defence but looks to have a bit of pace and run. Unsure where his best position would be. Tall loping half back maybe.

I cannot believe the listed best players "Laurie Fullarton Jefferson K Brown White Tomlinson" stats wise Laurie, K Brown and Fullarton get the stats but they don't tell the story. Laurie and Pup make lots of tackles because they don't hunt the ball and win it but get to the contest to tackle ie 2nd to the ball. Both would have to improve their kicking 50% because they kick 40 meters and miss targets. Pup is in his first year and can develop Laurie has been there long enough and tried. White is not on the list and Tomlinson gets kicks but has never been the same since his knee injury. Fullarton is not a tap ruckman and never will be but he is athletic enough to mark and get ground balls but the stats belie his overall worth. I was surprised that he got 25 taps. He is best at doing a Max, taking possession, trying to handball, and kicking rather than a tap out. IMO of that group only Jefferson is worthy of promotion. He has some serious talent, can take a mark, applies forward pressure and gets the ball. I would like to see Sestan stay on and develop a tank. He doesn't get it enough but is better balanced, delivers the ball as well as anyone in the team, and gets clearances, just not enough.

Yesterday, the high-possession guys like Saunders & MacRae showed what you want from your fringe players trying to get a senior game. We have none at Casey.

Love to know how the statistician came up with 25 taps for Fullarton.  I must have been watching another game.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Good lord Fullarton is absolute crud in the ruck contests. 

He really is a below VFL standard player.

Please don't tell me he is on a 2 year contract 

19 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Tim Lamb sucks, that is also becoming common knowledge which is good 

Recruiting / drafting has been excellent:  trading in has been very poor.

19 hours ago, adonski said:

He [Jefferson] seems like he's a high impact guy like Fritsch, doesn't need many touches to put the scores on the board

High impact isn't a description I would use for the 2024 version of Frittata.  Hardly makes any impact on opponents  at all.  

18 hours ago, Redleg said:

We will give him [Hunter] his 200th even if he is sub. 

Why?  We do not owe Hunter anything actually.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, monoccular said:

I agree we don’t owe Hunter anything and now I will tell you why we will give him his 200th game.

It’s because we are aware of culture and the credits in the bank we will get from players and their Managers from doing it. Even our own players will be happy for him and it’s all part of building a good club culture.

Players know what’s going on and clubs sometimes have to help their players, just as we expect everything every game from the players. 

He may not deserve a game on form, but the likelihood is that we will delist him in a few weeks and his AFL career will be over. We are not playing finals and we have the chance to thank a bloke for choosing our club and help him with a small gesture, to achieve a milestone, which he will treasure and why it was done would be obvious to the entire AFL community. Even played as a sub, he gets there for just one more appearance.

It will create positive publicity if we do and maybe even more negative publicity if we don’t.

Who knows the benefits this can bring and it is only a small gesture after all and again builds culture in the playing group and could even help secure future players.

From where we are now, the lower we go, the bigger the long term benefits in better draft picks, higher trading picks and a softer draw next year and playing Hunter once more won’t hurt that.

Therefore I am pretty certain barring any mishap, that Hunter will get another game with us and I would be happy with that for both Hunter and the club and it’s culture.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I agree we don’t owe Hunter anything and now I will tell you why we will give him his 200th game.

It’s because we are aware of culture and the credits in the bank we will get from players and their Managers from doing it. Even our own players will be happy for him and it’s all part of building a good club culture.

Players know what’s going on and clubs sometimes have to help their players, just as we expect everything every game from the players. 

He may not deserve a game on form, but the likelihood is that we will delist him in a few weeks and his AFL career will be over. We are not playing finals and we have the chance to thank a bloke for choosing our club and help him with a small gesture, to achieve a milestone, which he will treasure and why it was done would be obvious to the entire AFL community. Even played as a sub, he gets there for just one more appearance.

It will create positive publicity if we do and maybe even more negative publicity if we don’t.

Who knows the benefits this can bring and it is only a small gesture after all and again builds culture in the playing group and could even help secure future players.

From where we are now, the lower we go, the bigger the long term benefits in better draft picks, higher trading picks and a softer draw next year and playing Hunter once more won’t hurt that.

Therefore I am pretty certain barring any mishap, that Hunter will get another game with us and I would be happy with that for both Hunter and the club and it’s culture.

All fair enough but personally I’d be a bit [censored] if I was the player to be dropped to give him a start when atm you would really struggle to mount a case for that based on form 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I agree with all that you have said. Last game as a sub against the Pies comes on and does a Carl Ditterich and send Maynard into the same oblivion he sent Gus to. That would make some headlines for the last game.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Please don't tell me he is on a 2 year contract 

Recruiting / drafting has been excellent:  trading in has been very poor.

High impact isn't a description I would use for the 2024 version of Frittata.  Hardly makes any impact on opponents  at all.  

Fullarton is on a 2 year contract.🙄So is Billings.🙄

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

Supply has been abysmal for Casey forwards but Jeffo still works hard across the ground to tackle and crumb, great signs 

Mmm.

I went and kept a close eye on jeffo.

A couple of reallt good tackles and marks. And kicked goals, which is his main job

But he seriously needs to work on his defensive smarts, and of more concern, defensive intensity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

I agree with all that you have said. Last game as a sub against the Pies comes on and does a Carl Ditterich and send Maynard into the same oblivion he sent Gus to. That would make some headlines for the last game.

Can’t imagine any Dees fan not enjoying that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deelectable said:

Fullarton is on a 2 year contract.🙄So is Billings.🙄

Fullarton could be tried in some different roles, whereas Imo Billings is a bust. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, george_on_the_outer said:

...and McAdam until end 2026!!!

McAdam looks a bust but I haven't given up on him completely.  Had no pre season.  In the unlikely event he stays injury free he does have talent. Same can't be said for Fullarton and Billings.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Sydee said:

All fair enough but personally I’d be a bit [censored] if I was the player to be dropped to give him a start when atm you would really struggle to mount a case for that based on form 

Players understand the importance of these things in footy for the club and the player, we can make it up to them in the future and there are a couple who will be lucky to get a game next week.

I have seen Jeffersen play and he hits the packs hard going for marks and gets around the ground pretty well. I think he will make AFL for sure.

Not saying he will be a Cameron but i reckon when he gets going he could hold his own against Port's Marshall and even if he goes really well the over rated Kings.

I am pretty bullish on what Jeffersen is capable of.

• Like 2

LEARNINGS by KC from Casey

It took little time for Footscray to establish its domination over the Casey Demons in their VFL Round 19 clash at Mission Whitten Oval on Friday afternoon. The Doggies had the early advantage of the breeze and, as those with a knowledge of the old VFL venue second only to Essendon’s ground for swirly winds will tell you, a good start is vital in such conditions.

The five goal to one opening term which saw Footscray’s midfield dominate possession, turned out to be enough to secure the win as Casey was never really unable to make inroads on their supremacy. The visitors bravely fought a tie over the next two quarters to remain 29 points down at the final break and they still had the wind at their backs on the home stretch to give them some hope. Seven straight goals from the Bulldogs put an end to that and the 56 point margin at the end was a fitting one and a real sight for motorists driving home from town on a Friday afternoon.

There were very few shining lights for the Demons as they spluttered their way through their last Victorian game in a disappointing season. They have a bye next week and then follow that up with a 10:00am game in the final round at People First Stadium against last year’s premiers, the Gold Coast Suns. It’s time to look forward to the future for the club and the combined entity it represents.

The combine has been at its strongest when the VFL team has been at its best as it was two or three years ago. This year, injuries have been at play and, despite the lionhearted efforts of skipper Mitch White, assisted from time to time by Tyler Edwards and Roan Steele, the cupboard has been relatively bare. Similarly, Melbourne’s own contribution has not been as significant as in the past.

In this game, Casey’s best was Bailey Laurie 29 disposals and ten tackles but he was well and truly overshadowed by Footscray’s Riley Sanders and Jack MacRae who, along with former Demon Oskar Baker monstered his team in every way on the ground and statistically. From. An AFL point of view, Laurie has been in and out of the team like a yo yo so fans will most likely have to look elsewhere for inspiration.

Inspiration will most certainly not come from the likes of Ben Brown, Jack Billings, Adam Tomlinson or Lachie Hunter who are nearing the end of their careers. Shane McAdam booted two goals but will need good health and a strong pre season if he is to have an impact in 2025. Tom Fullarton had a strong game around the ground but was easily overshadowed in the ruck duels.

This leaves Matthew Jefferson as this team’s leading light for the future and, unlike his 2023 fadeout, the young key forward is presenting well. His four goals in a team that well beaten at stoppages should not be underestimated and he is a 50:50 chance for elevation for an AFL game now that Melbourne’s season is over.  

Kynan Brown also impressed with his 18 disposals and eight tackles and also stands in line for promotion late in the season. He needs to improve the depth of his kicking but looks like a good learner. Ollie Sestan made a strong start but faded while Jed Adams was serviceable in defence. Along with young ruckman Will Verrall and midseason recruit Luker Kentfield, they are on a long journey to the big time.

And so, the VFL season tapers off to a subdued ending at a distance in a fortnight’s time.

CASEY DEMONS 1.1.7 5.4.34 8.5.53 10.8.68 

FOOTSCRAY 5.6.36 8.6.54 12.10.82 19.10.124

GOALS

CASEY DEMONS Jefferson 4 McAdam 2 B Brown K Brown Fullarton Kentfield 

FOOTSCRAY Sanders 3 Baker Bianco Gallagher Hargraves Owen 2 Bedendo Clarke Freijah Jones Smith Sparkman 

BEST

CASEY DEMONS Hore Jefferson Laurie McAdam White Tomlinson

FOOTSCRAY Sanders MacRae Baker Gallagher Owen Freijah 

Statistics 

Jed Adams 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 40 dream team points
Jack Billings 8 kicks 10 handballs 18 disposals 3 tackles 47 dream team points
Ben Brown 1 goal 7 kicks 7 disposals 5 marks 43  dream team points
Kynan Brown 1 goal 13 kicks 5 handballs 18 disposals 3 marks 8 tackles 94 dream team points
Jesse Craven 1 behind 1 kick 3 handballs 4 disposals 1 tackle 14 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 6 kicks 2 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 6 tackles 56 dream team points
Tom Fullarton 1 goal 10 kicks 10 handballs 20 disposals 6 tackles 28 hitouts 111 dream team points
Roy George 1 kick 5 handballs 6 disposals 1 mark 13 dream team points
Max Gregory 4 kicks 4 handballs 8 disposals 3 tackles 30 dream team points
Marty Hore 16 kicks 16 disposals 8 marks 1 tackle 76 dream team points
Lachie Hunter 10 kicks 7 handballs 17 disposals 7 marks 1 tackle 66 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 4 goals 1 behind 6 kicks 2 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 5 tackles 77 dream team points
Luker Kentfield 1 goal 2 behinds 4 kicks 1 handball 5 disposals 1 marks 2 tackles 35 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 14 kicks 15 handballs 29 disposals 3 marks 10 tackles 119 dream team points
Shane McAdam 2 goals 2 behinds 9 kicks 6 handballs 15 disposals 5 marks 4 tackles 76 dream team points
Nick Moodie 2 kicks 1 handball 3 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 15 dream team points
Josh Schache 7 kicks 3 handballs 10 disposals 5 marks 3 tackles 54 dream team points
Ollie Sestan 8 kicks 5 handballs 13 disposals 2 marks 6 tackles 59 dream team points
Roan Steele 6 kicks 2 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 47 dream team points
Adam Tomlinson 17 kicks 6 handballs 23 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 86 dream team points
Will Verrall 3 kicks 1 handballs 4 disposals 3 tackles 5 hitouts 28 dream team points
Mitch White 14 kicks 7 handballs 21 disposals 1 mark 7 tackles 91 dream team points
Kai Windsor 3 kicks 2 handballs 5 disposals 1 mark 13 dream team points

• Like 1

12 hours ago, manny100 said:

I have seen Jeffersen play and he hits the packs hard going for marks and gets around the ground pretty well. I think he will make AFL for sure.

Not saying he will be a Cameron but i reckon when he gets going he could hold his own against Port's Marshall and even if he goes really well the over rated Kings.

I am pretty bullish on what Jeffersen is capable of.

JEFFO needs to play the next three games in the ones to lay the foundation to a solid pre season and stellar MFC career! The club would be negligent if they dont and I will personally borrow WCWs  Brolly and smash something to smithereens!

• Like 1