POSTGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

@binman to discuss this week.  I’m sure the coaches are working on WHY WE ARE GETTING KILLED IN CLEARANCES. Ps. It’s not because Gawn was missing.  Poor setup. Midfield coach  might need to be sacked.  

Please don't refer to Binman when it comes to talking midfield. The guy is clueless lol.

Had a crack at anyone around mid year when some on here started to question our depth and midfield struggles in this department.

Was happy to dish it out and then as the weeks have gone by our midfield depth has been greatly exposed.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Yes, playing week in week out directly affects your fitness. It goes backwards.

But heh, if you think for one minute that your argument has any validity, put up some documentation to support it.

Bizarre.

Fitness does absolutely not go backwards with high intensity exercise such as AFL games. It improves. Your definition of “fitness” please?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

I wasn't sure who or when we'd sub Turner on, but as it turned out, I reckon that was a tactical error not playing him.

When Turner came on, and we went long to contests inside 50, we looked dangerous in the air with three talls.

As it didn't rain, I think we could have afforded ourselves the three talls. Perhaps we were worried about their run off us with three talls + Melksham and Fritta, but I think we could have stretched them more in the air when we had territory against them.

I agree re: Turner. He has real good athletiscm. Just looks like a solid powerful mover and jumps hard at packs. Hopefully he can further develop his forward craft and become a good 2nd tall for the Dees. 

• Like 1

Proud of our comeback. To go from 27 points down with 10 mins left,  to game on in the last minute shows some good character. 

The effort and pressure was overall good tonight and I hope we play the role of spoiler for the rest of the year, starting with the Dogs on Friday night, who themselves have a 5 day break.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Yes, playing week in week out directly affects your fitness. It goes backwards.

But heh, if you think for one minute that your argument has any validity, put up some documentation to support it.

Bizarre.

It also builds your tank and gets you match practice in the best environment that they train for, the game.

You're sounding like someone who has never played or followed sport before, still waiting for links to these so called studies.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, GCDee said:

Genuinely lost that game due to the umpiring. 

100%. So sick of their non calls. Especially two which directly cost us goals. 
Plus, the hopeless morning of the man in the mark this year. Our guys are more disciplined or not as smart, but I notice the oppo generally step a few steps past where the guy marked it and are rarely called back. 
Plus that goal the last quarter when the umpire called stand and Toby moved off the mark before the umpire called play on for Tmac and they got a goal. Terrible officiating. But totally normal. 
For once it worked for us though! Better start pick. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bowserpower said:

It also builds your tank and gets you match practice in the best environment that they train for, the game.

You're sounding like someone who has never played or followed sport before, still waiting for links to these so called studies.

I see it like this:

Match practice does play a part with your touch and motor skills, sure, for arguments sake we'll say games under the belt is better for your fitness than not having them.

But as for that last percentage of fitness, you simply can't build that tank these days by just playing footy games. It's absolutely necessary to get the miles into the legs and get the cardiovascular and respiratory systems maxing out by the time you hit the ground. Clarry has been behind the 8 ball on this for a long time, he's not close to being on par with the 8 ball and there's no chance he'll be ahead of the 8 ball again until he gets that full pre season. The running that these guys do is just insane.

23 possessions to 3QT and had looked like the Clarry of old in traffic. 3 touches and 1 tackle in the last. It says a lot.

I watched Clarry a lot tonight, in that 3rd quarter when Max kicked the goal I saw Clarry coming off the bench run straight to Max absolutely pumped and energetic. He was stoked for Max and the team, in the last quarter he was just stuffed. It's definitely fitness. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wizardinoz said:

Who would have thought that Tom Green would have won that last centre clearance. We were shizen all night in the middle.

That was bizarre. We were all defensive side. And one of the mids was missing. Wtf?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

McQualter has added absolutely f all to our Coaching staff.

Goody needs a new team around him, starting to become very stale.

Goodwin in his presser said we lost clearance 8-0 who’s responsible for this???hard to win games losing 8-0

• Like 4

3 hours ago, praha said:

Allowing them three centre clearances, three entrances, and three goals at the start of the last was disgraceful and cost us the game. Gawn was rucking against a guy with one arm, and our midfield was clueless. We lost the game there.

Gawn’s thump forward to no one was a highlight and his face afterwards was priceless. Can’t blame him though. Not his fault there isn’t 4 of him out there to identify throws, blocking, staging and pushing in back. 

Plus. Please move on mid and forwards coaches. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, biggestred said:

Greene ducking

May no push in back

Greene getting called back 25 seconds into pettys shot at goal and no 50

Channel 7 want gws in finals and you cannot convince me otherwise. 

Exactly what I was referring to in my previous posts. It sounds like a rant against the umpires. I guess in some ways it is… but lay the frees you see don't discern. If Toby was 2m over it’s 50m. Distracting to me on the tv the umpire yelling at him imagine it was to Petty too. (Fair play to Toby, I thought after last years game sell whatever you Need to to get this guy. The Shane Warne if AFL). In the Essendon game-If stinger doesn’t throw it back to lever on the full. It’s 50m. Not that hard wouldn’t have thought. 

3 hours ago, Dee-tonator said:

In the end it could have gone either way.

We lost against a top-four team because of some crucial errors, not because any of the umpires cheated.

That's tough to take but hardly a reason for some of the venom being aimed at the players.

Of course the umpires didn’t cheat. They are just incompetent because they are poor. Not paid enough/not full time or what I’ve no idea. Two blatant frees to us missed and cost us 2 goals. There needs to be an ability to do a captains challenge or do something as clearly putting an extra umpire on the field hasn’t helped missed decisions. If anything it’s increased them. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This is such a garbage post, I'd like to think you're better than that PF but maybe you're not. Dragged himself out of hospital to be there tonight and stood in the freezing cold on the boundary before going back into hospital tomorrow morning. Has built a strong culture around the playing group who clearly love him as evidenced by most players signing long term deals. Our only living premiership coach and the man who was able to break the drought after 57 years. Whatever you think of him he is etched in Demon folklore til they stop writing about the game. I think he needs some new voices in the coaches box but he is a damn good coach. Great at strategy, maybe not so great tactically but none are perfect.

Clearly had us ready to play as we came out of the blocks red hot - reminded me of the Semi Final last year actually. How exactly was he outcoached? Giants are a flag contender, we will be lucky to make finals with our best player side lined and a raft of kids being blooded.

Go on!! We supposedly had a list for the ages, which again was meant to win a dynasty of premierships, the FACT we have won just one proves my point. So our best player is sidelined is he? Thats arguable in itself, other great teams find a way to keep winning Aka Richmond for their 3 flags, so no.. good docter, I iterate my piont and if you think Giants are a flag contender, why arent we??? Because of One player? No, so answer this why was May not on Jesse Hogan from the start?? Poor coaching. Why did we lose the clearances 8.0 and why not do something about it? Re selection, a few should only play after solid Casey form and improvement in areas of weakness, as I iterate, Poor coaching IMV!

Edited by picket fence
  • Facepalm 3

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Go on!! We supposedly had a list for the ages, which again was meant to win a dynasty of premierships, the FACT we have won just one proves my point. So our best player is sidelined is he? Thats arguable in itself, other great teams find a way to keep winning Aka Richmond for their 3 flags, so no.. good docter, I iterate my piont and if you think Giants are a flag contender, why arent we??? Because of One player? No, so answer this why was May not on Jesse Hogan from the start?? Poor coaching. Why did we lose the clearances 8.0 and why not do something about it? Re selection, a few should only play after solid Casey form and improvement in areas of weakness, as I iterate, Poor coaching IMV!

'Supposedly' according to whom? Whatever standard or expectation you set in your head is your own chalice to bear. I thought we were gonna win 5 in a row. I'm not gonna blame anyone because we didnt because, really, what the [censored] would I know?

You could also just try going with the ups and down of following footy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Losing by 2 points to a contender is a fine example of what? Ffs what a joke some of our supporters are. 

The truth is that some on here aren’t supporters whatsoever. I’m certainly convinced of that Jaded. 

6 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I’m worried for 2025 and beyond. 

I'm not.

A good list management over the off season can really change all of that.

We've seen it happen recently to Collingwood and Richmond did it back in the end of 2016.

We have solid core group of young players in JVR, McVee, Tholstrup, Windsor, AMW, Turner, K Brown, Jefferson and Woewodin as a good starting point. Get another pre season into these guys and watch as they step up again next year.

If we can add an elite top 10 midfield talent through the draft and then maybe a solid free agent or two then I think we'll be fine.

I expect us to play finals next year if we can really nail our list management decisions we'll over thr off season.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 13
  • Love 1

Bailey Laurie has to stay in the side for the rest of the year.

He played midfield and I thought he was actually decent. His clean hands in the wet stood out and there's something there to work with from a midfield perspective. 

19 disposals, 3 tackles 10 contested possessions, only the 2 turnovers for the game and 24 pressure acts.

• Like 9
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Bailey Laurie has to stay in the side for the rest of the year.

He played midfield and I thought he was actually decent. His clean hands in the wet stood out and there's something there to work with from a midfield perspective. 

19 disposals, 3 tackles 10 contested possessions, only the 2 turnovers for the game and 24 pressure acts.

He did OK, but seemed off the pace

Hope he has upside in that department, otherwise could struggle

AMW and Windsor have adapted to pace very quickly

• Like 3

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

Yes it's all Goodwin's fault, you keep banging your head against that wall maybe someday it'll crumble before your genius. Let me guess, next it'll be Pert and Roffey's fault because they didnt front the media next to Goodwin in the press conference 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2