2024 Phantom Drafts

31 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

read big footy's melbourne page. Noted as -------Pick 5* 2024 – Who do you want?

their moderator has done a power of work with comparisons from each draft board fromTwomey to ESPN

(27) Opinion - Pick 9* 2024 – Who do you want? | BigFooty Forum  

4 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

and Pick 9* 2024 – Who do you want?

(27) Opinion - Pick 5* 2024 – Who do you want? | BigFooty Forum

• Thanks 4

Potentially only one non-Vic player in the top 10

Aside from academies of course

I personally hope we don't go Smith, if he makes it to 5. I have concerns about his body size and him not filling out. No doubt has the skills but you need a big frame to dominate AFL. He will put on weight sure but he doesn't have the naturally broad shoulders. Even a Nick Diacos was much more developed at the same stage

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I personally hope we don't go Smith, if he makes it to 5. I have concerns about his body size and him not filling out. No doubt has the skills but you need a big frame to dominate AFL. He will put on weight sure but he doesn't have the naturally broad shoulders. Even a Nick Diacos was much more developed at the same stage

excluding Ashcroft … if Smith was available at “5”, it would likely mean top 4 was Lalor, O’Sullivan, Langford & Draper.  I agree that imv Dees should probably rate Smillie above Smith.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Recently watched a replay of one of his games and his lack of size really stood out. I think giving our lack of player trading we need at least one of our draftees to be an option round 1. Smith seems very under sized for AFL. Probably as slight as pup brown in his draft year. 
Having said that he still racked up good numbers in his VFL game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There will no doubt be some bolters and sliders with the draft still a month away. On exposed form though, looks like we'll likely get one of Lalor, Langford or Draper with pick 5. Basically whichever one gets through to us. We need midfielders more than anything, so works perfectly.

Pick 9 is where it get interesting. I could see us taking Reid or Tauru if available. Reid gives us class and skill to help with our forward connection. Tauru would become a third tall/interceptor type to slot into our backline long term.

Lindsay could also be an option as a classy skilled player like Reid. They'd both likely start on a flank and move into the midfield over time.

I'm not sold on Armstrong personally. He seems pretty vanilla and often just on the end of a dominant teams work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Neale, Butters, Merrett ...?

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Have only watched highlights of Draper but he looks the goods and would really compliment someone like Reid who is a strong possibility for us at 9.  Is he locked in to go to the Crows? I did see a headline that he had been critical of them of late. 

Also for those that have watched him- could our midfield accommodate him, a full fit and firing Clarry and Viney or is that too many bulls in the paddock?

15 minutes ago, old55 said:

Neale, Butters, Merrett ...?

Not talking height, more arms chest shoulders 

neale and merrett are well built. Butters is a very unique player

Smith could be amazing I just think the chances of him not being great are higher than some others

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Not talking height, more arms chest shoulders 

neale and merrett are well built. Butters is a very unique player

Smith could be amazing I just think the chances of him not being great are higher than some others

He’s 18, have a look at rozzee and Neale and Cripps even at that age . They have a lot of development ahead and that’s what makes a good recruiter , not judging them of now but what they will become !

I have a feeling most will be looking for a player with the weapons like Langford and lalor but Jagga could easily be beat of this crop eg a lachy neale type 

Edited by Melonmonster
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Melonmonster said:

He’s 18, have a look at rozzee and Neale and Cripps even at that age . They have a lot of development ahead and that’s what makes a good recruiter , not judging them of now but what they will become !

This unit?

8DE4ABBC-E2E0-4FFC-8DCA-2DF2408EAB52.jpeg

25 minutes ago, 2021 said:

This has us taking Langford and Tauru. I'd be very happy with this result.

Anyone else think this bloke looks a tad like Gus? I’d be happy if we get Langford and Tauru btw 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, 2021 said:

This has us taking Langford and Tauru. I'd be very happy with this result.

This is the dream result!  Unfortunately I don't think we get either.  But fingers crossed 🤞 

• Sad 1

On 18/09/2024 at 15:32, DeeSpencer said:

Going to assume Langford and O’Sullivan are gone by 5/6.

5. Murphy Reid
6. Sam Lalor
8. Draper
9. Armstrong
10. Tauru 
11. Travaglia
15. Hotton
18. Lindsay 
22. Faull

Thats probably my list and the order is about right, just can’t decide whether I’m in or out on Reid yet.

Not sure what you have done by publishing your pecking order from our selection no 5 Dee.

What’s happened to from Pick 1 -5. You have missed out on 2 spots at least by mentioning Langford and OSullivan. 

FWIW No one is sure who Richmond and North will take at 1 and 2. It is considered good mail that at 3 Blues will take SamWalsh’s cousin Finn O’Sullivan at 3 and Adelaide their local boy Sam Draper. 

We then have pick No 5 so one of Langford/Lalor/ Tauru/ Armstrong could be available  depending upon North and Tigers at the top of the draft. 

JT has to make a decision and I  hope he takes Tauru or Armstrong if available at 5 and one of the mids like Reid/Lindsay/Smith/ Smillie at 9 after the Tigers have 6 and Saints 7 and 8. 

Tauru has the highest draft improvement from all players seems to be the info. 

5 hours ago, 58er said:

Not sure what you have done by publishing your pecking order from our selection no 5 Dee.

What’s happened to from Pick 1 -5. You have missed out on 2 spots at least by mentioning Langford and OSullivan. 

FWIW No one is sure who Richmond and North will take at 1 and 2. It is considered good mail that at 3 Blues will take SamWalsh’s cousin Finn O’Sullivan at 3 and Adelaide their local boy Sam Draper. 

We then have pick No 5 so one of Langford/Lalor/ Tauru/ Armstrong could be available  depending upon North and Tigers at the top of the draft. 

JT has to make a decision and I  hope he takes Tauru or Armstrong if available at 5 and one of the mids like Reid/Lindsay/Smith/ Smillie at 9 after the Tigers have 6 and Saints 7 and 8. 

Tauru has the highest draft improvement from all players seems to be the info. 

Agree but I really have doubts on Armstrong. Looking at the limited vision available online he reminds me of Jefferson or Weid. (Glass half empty view)

There are hints of Cadman and JUH (glass half full view) but I think he is smaller than both so I question if he is big enough to impact at AFL senior level 

Hardly enlightening or analytical 

Code Sports predictions… 

MELBOURNE

Current Draft Picks: 5, 9

A big winner during the trade period, the Demons positioned themselves nicely for the draft by grabbing a second top-10 pick.

They already held pick five, but also managed to nab pick nine from Essendon.

Melbourne gave the Bombers some later selections – as well as their future first-round pick – as part of the deal, but are now well-placed to bring in two top-end talents. 

List boss Tim Lamb has declared that “supporters should be really excited”.

With two top picks, the Demons could snag two different types of players.

At pick 5, a gun midfielder like Harvey Langford, Jagga Smith or Josh Smillie would be handy.

At pick 9, Melbourne would surely have to look at Sandringham Dragons key forward Harry Armstong if he was still available.

Measuring 195cm, Armstrong’s best traits are his overhead marking and his accurate goalkicking, while he also has the tank to push up the ground and get back.

The Demons are also considering picking up Gippsland Power small forward Ricky Mentha as a Category B rookie, through their Next Generation Academy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Hardly enlightening or analytical 

Code Sports predictions… 

MELBOURNE

Current Draft Picks: 5, 9

A big winner during the trade period, the Demons positioned themselves nicely for the draft by grabbing a second top-10 pick.

They already held pick five, but also managed to nab pick nine from Essendon.

Melbourne gave the Bombers some later selections – as well as their future first-round pick – as part of the deal, but are now well-placed to bring in two top-end talents. 

List boss Tim Lamb has declared that “supporters should be really excited”.

With two top picks, the Demons could snag two different types of players.

At pick 5, a gun midfielder like Harvey Langford, Jagga Smith or Josh Smillie would be handy.

At pick 9, Melbourne would surely have to look at Sandringham Dragons key forward Harry Armstong if he was still available.

Measuring 195cm, Armstrong’s best traits are his overhead marking and his accurate goalkicking, while he also has the tank to push up the ground and get back.

The Demons are also considering picking up Gippsland Power small forward Ricky Mentha as a Category B rookie, through their Next Generation Academy.

More guesswork which is what we get one month out. Gotta wait for Cal Twomeys phantom unfortunately

• Like 2