Oliver Trade Rumours

1 minute ago, Roost it far said:

To me it looks like we’re being played by the Cats, all be it beautifully. They have been on him all year, sell him the dream and then sit back and watch our house burn while we fumble the deck. 

They'll  play us.... and beat us.

Don't hold much of a hand...   and when they turn over the River ( Barwon)  ... do we ante, call or fold. History suggests  one ;)

Does anyone know the rules around renegotiating contracts? I.e. if a player really wants to leave, but we are not prepared to pay part of their salary at a rival, can they simply renogotiate with the destination club for a smaller contract? 

11 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

The concern is if the reports are true that he's veering off the rails again in the past few weeks then he might very well repeat the off-season of last year.

Yep, it's a risk either way. I just think it's a greater risk offloading him and effectively admitting we are done contending for a while, than not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rufus said:

Does anyone know the rules around renegotiating contracts? I.e. if a player really wants to leave, but we are not prepared to pay part of their salary at a rival, can they simply renogotiate with the destination club for a smaller contract? 

That's up to the player and their management. Generally people aren't really keen to give up money owed though.

Just now, Mickey said:

Yep, it's a risk either way. I just think it's a greater risk offloading him and effectively admitting we are done contending for a while, than not.

Especially if we are left with nothing more than an ongoing bill for his employment (at one of our competitors).

Just now, KozzyCan said:

That's up to the player and their management. Generally people aren't really keen to give up money owed though.

Highly unlikely I guess...would be a decent outcome if that could happen and he effectively goes as a free agent...we'd get a good compo pick and no leftover money to pay.

I will get over trading Oliver if we get something good in return that makes us reasonably stronger.

I don't think I can get over us trading him to Geelong.

Other clubs must surely be shaking their heads at Melbourne. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, doc roet said:

You can take the boy out of the country,but you can't take the country out of the boy.

I'll bet he rues the day he signed that contract. Dazzled by the $. Frustrated at the length of it. His best life years stuck in Melbourne. Hours travelling out to Casey to train, yuc. Geelong knew what they were doing when they took him to Stanley's farm. 

Clarry might be from the country but I’m not sure the back blocks of Echuca and Shep make him a farm kid. If anything the malaise of those places would make you feel very at home in Casey.

The 40 minutes from Camberwell to Casey is some kind of disastrous ordeal but 30 minutes from a farm in Moriac to GMHBA isn’t?

Let’s be honest, Clarry’s mind, body, club and team mates were all happy with how he was going for the first 7 years of his career. Eventually that hit a tipping point.

Geelong think they can manage all of the above. The way they control the media narrative gives them a big advantage. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rufus said:

I can’t see why it would be illegal/against rules but I couldn’t see many players going for it when they are guaranteed a higher amount via an existing binding contract 

One thing to consider.

Go back to end of season 2022, Clarry was a two time Coaches award winner, touted as a certain Brownlow medallist.

Fast Forward 2 years later, he is a cancer on our list and needs to be let go.

So, he goes from role model to culture killer in two years? Were there any worrying signs before but the club was happy to sweep it under the rug because of his on field performance?

Very strange 🤔

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BLWNBA said:

Agree, the days of Oliver being worth a top ten pick, let alone multiple top ten picks, are gone as it stands. 

The writing on the wall from the situation is that Oliver will go. I suspect some posters on here will be in for a rude awakening regarding the return. 

I agree that the writing is on the wall. The football department must have very little faith in Oliver and are willing to cut its losses. 

things must be dire if they are ok with letting him go for a late teens pick and a massive subsidy of salary 

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

Quite genuinely I might think that enters the area of 'denial' 

We are what we are, we are where we are.

We're not going anywhere in a hurry . If we don't change then our circumstances and future are also unlikely to.

We are where we are because that's exactly where we've trended to. We need to change in order for that ( trend/direction) to. Otherwise all and sundry are just kidding themselves. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The 40 minutes from Camberwell to Casey is some kind of disastrous ordeal but 30 minutes from a farm in Moriac to GMHBA isn’t?

Well... it is a much nicer drive ;)

( well....it is ... 😆 )

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, layzie said:

It is a potentially catastrophic situation that may well have been the snookering of the century.

How a partial salary dump and little else became the desired outcome for a potential Oliver trade baffles me. 

In fairness to the club they never predicted a major hamstring injury that has potentially altered his game and major off field issues. 

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

With everything that has gone on this year and last I'm finding it very difficult to believe that this group has another flag in them. From our flag side we've already lost Brayshaw, Jackson, ANB, Hibberd, Harmes and Brown. Obviously some of those players are more vital than others and we've got a couple of decent kids coming through but I would say it's been a clear net loss so far. Then when the club is also at war with two of its stars it's looking pretty grim.

The silver lining is we're not in 2007 territory. We have a good bit of youth going for us and some good leaders who have some time left and with a couple of good drafts we could set ourselves up for a long time.

• Like 1

Surely there are targets and minimum professional standards to meet in a 10million contract?

How can we be held to a contract when the player does not hold up his end of the bargain to be a professional?

Negotiate a new contract based on failure to meet the existing one. Half the money, then trade him

• Thinking 1

I will never understand how these contracts don’t have behavioural clauses that give clubs the option of termination. 

And by “termination” I mean, not paying another [censored] club a single cent. 

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, praha said:

I will get over trading Oliver if we get something good in return that makes us reasonably stronger.

I don't think I can get over us trading him to Geelong.

Other clubs must surely be shaking their heads at Melbourne. 

Not just today 🤣🤣🤣🤣 ...  sadly 😞

3 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

I will never understand how these contracts don’t have behavioural clauses that give clubs the option of termination. 

I don't think any agent would agree to that. It should be the case, but that's asking people with money in their minds (before values) to accept it.

8 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

that was very much my thoughts too.

when we signed him up for 7 years he was already a known problem child

there must be standard clauses in all contracts where a contract can be rescinded

in clarries case given his history, the length of contract and the high value of contract i would expect any risk manager would insist on specific clauses for behaviour and performance, including termination options.

any contract lawyers here like to speculate?

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 3